• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Finally starting this tonight. Can't wait!

Anything to know before I start?

Also, any must-install mods out there?

rolling rolling rolling
keep that witcher rolling
geralt can't stop rolling, he'll die!

all the things he's missing
ploughing yenn and triss-ing
be waiting at the end of this fight

Enkidu

The only thing you need to survive is Quen.

Use it or die!
Once you get the extra roll distance skill you might want to stop abusing Quen though. It makes the combat more dull, since you can't use your other spells as effectively and you don't have to be as careful anymore.

It kind of breaks the game, but I used the no weight mod. Also, it's kind of hard to be jack of all trades skill wise. I mainly did the swordsman skill path and ignored everything else.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Where's the cheapest place to get this? I'm guessing waiting for the Steam holiday sale would be the best idea?

Salaadin

Where's the cheapest place to get this? I'm guessing waiting for the Steam holiday sale would be the best idea?

It pops up on sale from time to time so keep an eye out but if you want it real cheap, then the holiday Steam sale is probably your best bet.
You missed out..I think Amazon digital had it for 16 bucks last week. Not sure if it was on sale during the Steam Thanksgiving deals.

Ermac

It pops up on sale from time to time so keep an eye out but if you want it real cheap, then the holiday Steam sale is probably your best bet.
You missed out..I think Amazon digital had it for 16 bucks last week. Not sure if it was on sale during the Steam Thanksgiving deals.

Yeah Steam had it during Thanksgiving but it was $25. I woulda got it but I had just got Skyrim ... and I'm not really feeling Skyrim (shoot me) so I want to get this.

Salaadin

Yeah Steam had it during Thanksgiving but it was $25. I woulda got it but I had just got Skyrim ... and I'm not really feeling Skyrim (shoot me) so I want to get this.

This doesnt share many similarities with Skyrim aside from the fantasy setting so you might like it. Its my favorite game this year. Hopefully a deal pops up for you soon.

Ermac

This doesnt share many similarities with Skyrim aside from the fantasy setting so you might like it. Its my favorite game this year. Hopefully a deal pops up for you soon.

Thanks. Yeah I loved the first and am halfway through the first book now.

Darkone

Regarding quest tracking system, i seem to only see on the map way points for the main Quest of the game, is there a way to see the side quests as well if i choose one of them and cancel the main from the journal?

Salaadin

Regarding quest tracking system, i seem to only see on the map way points for the main Quest of the game, is there a way to see the side quests as well if i choose one of them and cancel the main from the journal?

It should show you a marker for whatever your active quest is.

Enkidu

Not every quest has a marker I believe. If the quest tells you to learn more about Nekkers for example, I don't think there's any marker for that. You just have to find somebody who sells a book on them or go out and start killing Nekkers to learn more about them that way.

Goldstorm

Banned
I read this very interesting quote about The Witcher 2 on PC from CD Projekt this morning on joystiq:

In a recent interview with PC Gamer, CEO Marcin Iwinski does some quick back-of-the-hand calculations according to what he saw on illegal downloading sites, and comes up with 4.5 million copies of the game obtained illegally.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/11/30/4-5-million-pirated-copies-of-witcher-2-out-there-according-to/

I made a search and I couldn't find a thread about this on NeoGAF. Weird. Usually people on GAF likes to makes threads about PC piracy estimates so they can tear down and laugh at the "made-up" numbers and call for boycotts (see the recent threads about Ubisoft)

Double standard for CD Projekt?

Frankfurt

Banned
Usually people on GAF likes to makes threads about PC piracy estimates so they can tear down and laugh at the "made-up" numbers and call for boycotts (see the recent threads about Ubisoft)

Double standard for CD Projekt?

Half will make up some angle to justify it, the other half will turn on CD Projekt and call them liars.

I'm sure that if he followed the figure up with a comment saying that they would be implementing always online DRM in The Witcher 3 as a result there would be a thread like the one you chaps are fantasising about.

I was loving this game up to the Kayran which is some grade A horseshit. Is there a mod that automatically loads your last save when you die? Can't believe I have to wait 20 seconds for a slow ass YOU DIED screen to show up.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
there is no mod, but Kayran is easy and you can lower difficulty level if you have problems.

Enkidu

I was loving this game up to the Kayran which is some grade A horseshit. Is there a mod that automatically loads your last save when you die? Can't believe I have to wait 20 seconds for a slow ass YOU DIED screen to show up.
Quickload before the screen begins to fade and you don't have to sit through it.

Ermac

Wow that is an awesome prize. Would totally buy if amazon.com download wasn't US only. What are the chances that steam will match this price during the Holiday Sale 2011?

I think they will, if not my best guess would be 19.99

Salaadin

When I just know that Im about to die, I pause it and load my last save manually. Its much faster.

Well I beat that piece of shit after realizing that Quen would absorb all the damage from a hit. Still a huge difficulty spike, the wraiths in the hospital quest were tough but at least they were optional.

Salaadin

Well I beat that piece of shit after realizing that Quen would absorb all the damage from a hit. Still a huge difficulty spike, the wraiths in the hospital quest were tough but at least they were optional.

That fight was iffy for me.
The tentacle part wasnt bad but I always felt like the finishing section where you have to run up the broken bridge buggy as shit. I cant quite describe why but it just didnt feel like it was implemented all too well.

Enkidu

Did you have the extra roll distance skill? I beat the Kayran recently on dark and it was pretty much impossible without that skill but extremely easy with it.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
what am I missing out if I skip the original Witcher and go straight to Witcher 2 -- without explicit spoilers, please.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
what am I missing out if I skip the original Witcher and go straight to Witcher 2 -- without explicit spoilers, please.

W2 takes place literally months after the first game. Though I can't speak for the whole game(haven't played too deep), it does pepper lots of subtle callbacks that occur in the introductory sequences alone that will go right over your head. The game has a somewhat dense codex that does update regularly to help flesh out details that will surely have you confused. (Names, places, people...stuff that you won't be expected to know without intimate knowledge of the first game).

In terms of the actual experience though, it isn't necessary to play Witcher 1. The core drama and plot isn't directly required. But again, you will find the details more appreciable having played, and even imported, a Witcher 1 game experience into W2. Witcher 1 is good stuff though if you decide to jump into it first.

Salaadin

The story, mainly. There are a few connections in the first game that would be handy when playing the second but I honestly dont think that playing the first is THAT necessary. If you arent going to play the first, at least read the Wikipedia summary (which is a decent outline but not great, imo) and watch the final cinematic for The Witcher 1 just to get an idea. It might also be a good idea to read up on some characters like Geralt, Foltest, Triss, Dandelion, and Zoltan Chivay.

The first game is cheap so if you have 10 bucks and 40-50 hours to spare, Id say you give it a shot. The gameplay is tough to get into by todays standards though so keep that in mind.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Yea, I do recommend watching the final FMV of Witcher 1 on youtube. It isn't a true spoiler for the Witcher 1 experience as it is more of a setup to the sequel(actually shocking that it wasn't re-included in the intro for W2! It would have really helped get newcomers up to speed more quickly with the major events of the prologue in W2)

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
W2 takes place literally months after the first game. Though I can't speak for the whole game(haven't played too deep), it does pepper lots of subtle callbacks that occur in the introductory sequences alone that will go right over your head. The game has a somewhat dense codex that does update regularly to help flesh out details that will surely have you confused. (Names, places, people...stuff that you won't be expected to know without intimate knowledge of the first game).

In terms of the actual experience though, it isn't necessary to play Witcher 1. The core drama and plot isn't directly required. But again, you will find the details more appreciable having played, and even imported, a Witcher 1 game experience into W2. Witcher 1 is good stuff though if you decide to jump into it first.

Thanks for the insight. Also, props to Salaadin and subversus for their help, too.

Enkidu

Just in the main folder.
I believe it should be in the bin folder, not the main one, since that's where the main executable is. Also, it seems that the witcher2.cfg.txt file is entirely useless, at least for me. Messing around with the fps limit setting does nothing. However, if the file is renamed to antilag.cfg the settings work. I guess this is probably just a repackage of the "antilag" fix from http://www.kegetys.net/. I have no idea why the config file was renamed though.

My game keeps crashing at the loading screen right after escaping the prison and finishing the prologue. Anyone else got this problem and fixed it?

Edit: Re-installed the game and it works now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom