• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dries

Is this frameskipping issue new? I've never had it and I own a ATI card. Now, at once, it seems everyone has it :s

Edit: Oh, I see there's a 2.1 patch. I guess it has something to do with this?

Salaadin

Is this frameskipping issue new? I've never had it and I own a ATI card. Now, at once, it seems everyone has it :s

Edit: Oh, I see there's a 2.1 patch. I guess it has something to do with this?

To be honest, Im not entirely sure what it is and what it even looks like. I only started paying attention to it when talk of this fix started. It seems to be a common though.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Even though I told myself not to get into it till after finales, I started and been putting in an hour a day. About 5 hours in now, and its love. I quit earlier because my labtop couldn't run it to well. New PC on high specs and keeps a solid 40+ framerate. Everything about it feels improved, yet I don't know if I like it better than 1 yet. It doesn't feel as open.

One major annoyance. Their stealth shit is crap. It was easier just to run around beating 5 guards at once to death, then to attempt stealth.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Solo is back, God bless us all!

Yeah, after getting caught going back and forth between a door. Just fucked it and started to run forward with my billy club.

The only real reason to do it stealthy is because the path you take and whether you were detected influences how you escape (and a possible perk). It's much more fun to blackjack those fools to death, especially the ones who are about to rape that elf.

FEEL MY CLUB OF WITCHERLY JUSTICE

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
The only real reason to do it stealthy is because the path you take and whether you were detected influences how you escape (and a possible perk). It's much more fun to blackjack those fools to death, especially the ones who are about to rape that elf.

FEEL MY CLUB OF WITCHERLY JUSTICE

Guess I missed that. I let
I let Aryan live, who in turns decides to blow the shit out of the place
. So either I missed it or it changes.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
There are several different outcomes of that section depending on playstyle and choices made.

Yeah, I know there was one from the preview.
You save the Baroness from being ploughed when you come across the executioner.

In my game, those two fools were just sitting there ready to be killed. With Aryan's note of confession saying the children where of his seed. Shame he had to go. Dude seem pretty bro.

Already well pass this point and I got to the point which was my favorite bits in 1. Put into a city with a load of quests to do, characters to talk to, and people to plough.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
So where exactly are you right now? Act 2?

Pass the initial appearance of the Kraken and Trish's hot friend. But not too much further. Doing the side quests before before tackling the Kraken quest. And in general, looting and talking to everyone in the town.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Ahh, still in Act 1! Enjoy it - by far my favorite portion of the game. Flotsam and surrounding forests >*

Definitely am. Seems to be the final contender to Deus Ex:HR and DOTA2 for my GOTY if it keeps up. Something about the world is gripping to me. Great blend of humor, violence, and grey morality.

Solo

Its still my GOTY, and I say that while I am absolutely LOVING Skyrim. But The Witcher 2 just has a depth to the world and characters that no other game had this year.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Its still my GOTY, and I say that while I am absolutely LOVING Skyrim. But The Witcher 2 just has a depth to the world and characters that no other game had this year.

Witcher 1 had a similar effect on me. Chapter 2-3 arc was phenomenal. You got as much into those chapters as you were willing to put into and it rewarded you splendidly. Chapter 1 also had a really good, self-told arc.

Solo

I'll be really curious to see the choice you make at the end of Act 1, shintoki. Let us know when you're onto Act 2 so we can revisit this ;)

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I'll be really curious to see the choice you make at the end of Act 1, shintoki. Let us know when you're onto Act 2 so we can revisit this ;)

Sadly, I know about the choices already and I'm pretty sure I already know who I'm going with. The dude is appealing to all my gay senses while being a pretty boss character so far.

SamVimes

I still think (spoiler end first chapter)
that Roche was an asshole when he basically let Letho get away in the gardnen. Also what happens if you don't give Iorveth his sword there? What's the reason for the riot? In both my playthrough i gave him the sword even if in the first i sided with Roche.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I think you've made the right choice.
Iorveth is prettier but Team Roche is where it's at. He's a bro, a boss and a badass.

Roche has been nothing short of a stud so far. And I don't necessarily like pretty guys either, I just like to be one. I rather prefer more masculine ones.

Salaadin

I agree. I also think I prefer the tighter knit story in The Witcher 2. Everything feels like its there for a reason and that adds so much.
Also: Triss.

Thrakier

To be honest, Im not entirely sure what it is and what it even looks like. I only started paying attention to it when talk of this fix started. It seems to be a common though.

Just check the videos in the perforamnce thread. Also you don't need D3D Overrider, game already uses Triple Buffering. It has nothing to do with 2.1. And like I said, two completly different system (NVIDA and ATI) and the game beahves exactly the same way.

Damn, I really want to play the Witcher II. I'm still on my two 250s, and I really don't want to play this gorgeous game on the low setting. I barely got into chapter I before setting it aside all the way back in May. I'm hoping to get a new GPU soon, so I can play this beast of a game!

Salaadin

roche1.png

So dreamy

I've been playing this for the last few days and I really love it. I actually bought the game like a week after it came out, right after playing the first one and it pissed me off. I really hated all the changes they made to the combat and the UI. Actually, I still hate that they turned your perfectly good bags into lists and added encumbrance, but I'm using a mod that gets rid of weight, so it's OK. I also upgraded my graphics card and I think they did a lot of optimization and bug fixing through the patches between then and now too, so that helps. So now that I have kind of forgotten how the first one really played and I can play the game without thinking about FPS and graphics settings, I'm really enjoying it. I'm also playing it with a 360 controller now. The game sort of feels like it was meant to be played with a 360 controller more than a KB.

I went with the elf dude 'cause I sided with humans in the first game and then Eminem, well you probably know what he did.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Good to know my senses have superior Gaf backing.

So like I encountered some Drowners and died to them while looking for the final Nekker's nest. After getting through some big ass bug queens, I thought I was the badass I was in 1 already. Yeah, combat really is something else in this game compared to ones very relaxed pace.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Played about another hour

So I'm one of Roche's boys now. Tried to cross the river ontop of a whores arse for a few hours before falling over drunk and getting a tattoo. My boy Geralt!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

So I'm one of Roche's boys now. Tried to cross the river ontop of a whores arse for a few hours before falling over drunk and getting a tattoo. My boy Geralt!

I'm sad that you were mislead by the pro-Roche posters, but I hope you do a 2nd playthrough to experience the superior Iorveth path.

Hush, Snuggles. No matter how many times you say it, Iorveth will never out-bro Roche.

Best quest ever? It's certainly up there.

Well if you go with Roche you won't have to play that god awful quest in the mines.

You know I thought about this, but on the other hand if you go with Roche you miss out on
playing as Dandelion and stumbling blissfully into the arms of a succubus.
I'd say from a quest perspective it's pretty close, but, like, Roche.

I just finished it this today. I think I liked the first one better and this one seemed kind of short in comparison. I think I only spent a bit over 25 hours on it. I'm not exactly sure since Steam keeps track of time from other times I had played it and time I had the game paused too. I think it might have just been how I just kind of fell into progressing the story. It's just how you start cut-scenes by walking into an area and how the story leads you around that made me miss some side stuff. If I didn't get it done while doing the story stuff, then I probably wasn't going to go back and do it. I guess not having to buy books to do quests also speeds things up quite a bit.

But I really loved the game. I just really like the story, characters, and the whole Witcher world in general. The game was also really nice looking. It probably has the best graphics of any game I've ever played. I still prefer a lot of stuff like the UI and combat from the first game better, but I guess the combat is not terrible here. I really didn't like the UI though.

I'm really left just wanting more right now. I wish they would just make a new town with a bunch of quests and release that every few months. It seems to me like that would fit the Witcher very well. I know it's not all huge epic story lines for Geralt. I know there must be hundreds of smaller stories that could be told that wouldn't be enough to fill up a full game.

I'll probably play it again now and take the other path before I get into TOR.

Wouldn't a Star Wars game that played like this be great? The Witcher is already basically a medieval Jedi. :p

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What's the deal with the Troll Trouble DLC? I accepted the contract from the notice board some time ago, but I just noticed it's not listed as an active (or completed) quest.

Steam version of the game, by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom