• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

zlatko

Banned
GOTY right here. Only Skryim came close for me as a possible game to dethrone this, but ultimately Witcher 2 shined brighter and stuck with me the most.

Can't wait for more Witcher goodness.

Beat it two nights ago.

CDProject Red are technical beasts, but still need to work on their polishing and balancing skills.

Still a wonderful game.

Finished the game yesterday, I took a rest during a few weeks when I reached chapter 3 which was shorter than I thought it would be.

I really liked how the all points connected at the end and make sense. And I hope that all decisions you decided all along have some real impact in Witcher3.

Maybe I'll do a 2nd playthrough for Iorveth's path, although I don't really like him....

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Finished the game yesterday, I took a rest during a few weeks when I reached chapter 3 which was shorter than I thought it would be.

I really liked how the all points connected at the end and make sense. And I hope that all decisions you decided all along have some real impact in Witcher3.

Maybe I'll do a 2nd playthrough for Iorveth's path, although I don't really like him....

Even though I still feel the final act is pretty weak, I do love how the plot points all come together. I haven't read the books, but the series has a nack for avoiding the typical fantasy tropes of elaborate, ridiculous narrative twists usually hinged on magic, ancient evils and other such stupid shit. With the Witcher series when you finally learn why things are the way they are, its always just people typically trying to screw each other over. Its all politics.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Even though I still feel the final act is pretty weak, I do love how the plot points all come together. I haven't read the books, but the series has a nack for avoiding the typical fantasy tropes of elaborate, ridiculous narrative twists usually hinged on magic, ancient evils and other such stupid shit. With the Witcher series when you finally learn why things are the way they are, its always just people typically trying to screw each other over. Its all politics.

I went back to redo the one major choice of having to choose who to save.
Either I go with Roche to save the King's daughter or I go save Triss.

First time I choose Triss.
I was able to expose exactly who the people in the plot were. The two head Sorcs, but at the cost of the North falling apart. Temeria was to be divided by the 5 barons since there was no heir and Hesalts death and Saskia's left nothing higher up. Only Redenia still had a major stay in power.

You find Roche at the end, but he isn't too buddy-buddy anymore and has to go into hiding with the Kings daughter. And you find out that you played exactly into Letho's hand. Actually made it better since you let Roche kill Hesalt.

Went back and choose to save the King's Daughter.
Save the north instead. Temeria would be united with Redenia as the principle leader. Roche went over to their side to keep watch on her.

But since I didn't save Trish, we only had wild accusations of it. Which results in a massacre of Sorcs/Wizards. Letho also felt more personal this time.

In a way, the latter was a better ending. The north was still united and there was resistance against nilfgrend, but at the same time it cost the massacre of the mage consul.

Oh and as people said about taking Roche's route at the end choice. I don't know how to feel, but Roche is <3

You haven't experienced Steam untiul you've re-downloaded all 20GB of The Witcher 2 5 times in one month due to 10MB updates being released weekly back in May.

Heard about that, but had to support GoG.

Binabik15

I don't know, overall TW1 was better.

I liked Adda, the constable, the doctor, the fish people, Vizima, the light hearted music while you cross enormous fields and other things more than TW2. I felt more like a witcher, too. The second one felt more serious, despite (?) lacking the "the whole world will burn" trope.

Roche was a great bro, though, and so many individually great story moments.

TW2 was a great step forward in many directions, but a step backwards in a few others, I think (the first dice poker>>>>>>>>>>everyting in TW2).

If they can expand the scope of the next Witcher game now that they have a finished engine and bring back the lovely Vizima, Striga princesses and the crazy enemies that'd be great.

And don't forget superhero werewolf crimefighters!

Kyaw

Witcher 3 will be about The Great Hunt, Yennefer and the war between Temeria and Nilfgaard.

It's gonna fun to see how Geralt will fit between the war.

If they can expand the scope of the next Witcher game now that they have a finished engine and bring back the lovely Vizima, Striga princesses and the crazy enemies that'd be great.
Adda is in Redania now. Or dead. Which is kind of an issue with bringing someone back for a sequel.

Actually she's also one of the characters they took the most liberties with, presumably just so you could have a Striga boss.

Wouldn't mind at least passing through Vizima in the next game though.

I'd love to see Vizima again. Really loved the whole atmosphere of the game. Didn't quite get that in any of the areas in TW2 - maybe Flotsam, though I'd argue Vergen more-so. Vizima was just pretty large it seems. The entire area was just so incredible. If the games happened to switch engines/features, that'd be just dandy in my book. Other than the incredible visuals of the 2nd, I am more of a fan of the first game.

Thrakier

Started playing this game with a controller and god damn if the engine isn't a laggy mess. Looks ok but feels horrible. I'll try to play it anyway.

So, didn't play TW1, what do I need to know?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Witcher 3 will be about The Great Hunt, Yennefer and the war between Temeria and Nilfgaard.

It's gonna fun to see how Geralt will fit between the war.

I'm so hoping that this is what it is.

Being forced to choose between Triss and Yennifer will be interesting.

Peff

Thanks, helps a lot storywise (no I won't play it).

The Witcher 2 is pretty much standalone. You just need to know that in the end you save this king's domains and after the credits there's a cutscene where Geralt saves his life from an assassin, which makes Foltest appoint him as his advisor, and thus the Witcher 2 begins. There's actually quite a bit more of backstory that is taken from the books for TW2 but I doubt that even 10% of us here knew about it beforehand and everyone seemed to enjoy the game, so it's not a big deal.

Witcher 3 needs to have more than one great chapter.

Flotsam was enough to make this game one of my favourite of the year, but that really is the only great part of it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Flotsam was enough to make this game one of my favourite of the year, but that really is the only great part of it.

Flotsam was great, but Vergen in the Iorveth path was my favorite part of the game. The environments were stunning, I loved the dwarves and there was a lot of stuff to do. I just wish that chapter 3 was as long as 1 and 2.

Prologue and Chapter 2 were fun. Chapter 3 was pretty dull.

Flotsam was just such a high standard the rest of the game seemed kinda meh in comparison. Really, it was pretty solid throughout until the end, but Flotsam was an unmatchable high.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Flotsam was great, but Vergen in the Iorveth path was my favorite part of the game. The environments were stunning, I loved the dwarves and there was a lot of stuff to do. I just wish that chapter 3 was as long as 1 and 2.

Chapter 3 didn't need to be as long. Each of those were like 8-10 hours. But it needed some actual lead up to the final events. Another hour or two of a mix of world building quests and 3-4 more leading up before you have to make your decision. Would have worked out far better.

Flotsam's setting was so interesting and beautiful that alone is enough to be better than the other chapters. It had some really great quests, too.

It's only been like two months but I've forgotten so much of the narrative I can't really comment there. It got quite messy towards the end, I seem to recall...

I need to play it again and make the difference choice sometime soon.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Chapter 3 didn't need to be as long. Each of those were like 8-10 hours. But it needed some actual lead up to the final events. Another hour or two of a mix of world building quests and 3-4 more leading up before you have to make your decision. Would have worked out far better.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was trying to say. In terms of overall length, I have no complaints, I probably logged a good 25-30 hours which is sufficient, especially when considering how different the alternate path is. I just felt that 3 was way too rushed in comparison to 1 & 2, and the game would have been a bit more "complete" if the third chapter had as much time to develop as the first two. Most of ch. 3 could have been contained in the epilogue. But really, I just want more Witcher. CDPR need to hurry up with the Xbox port and get to work on TW3.

Binabik15

Adda is in Redania now. Or dead. Which is kind of an issue with bringing someone back for a sequel.

Actually she's also one of the characters they took the most liberties with, presumably just so you could have a Striga boss.

Wouldn't mind at least passing through Vizima in the next game though.
Why is that a problem (well, the dead part is), Geralt has feet, magic mirrors and teleporters to meet her ;)

I wonder how they'll handle all the possible choices, probably they'll do one or two different beginnings and ignore a lot of possibilities. That's to be expected, but that'd be a pitty.

For the third game: I already banished the king of the wild hunt, enough with sticky ectoplasm everywhere. Bring back Fleders and Kikimores. Maybe another villagevof inbreds as well. Don't forget the Monthy Python quotes. I also loved the huge and cartoony Flaming Order and city guard knights towering over Geralt. The second game was all srs bsnss, lacking the charm of the first game, IMO, and the funny parodies of folk tales that the ine Witcher book I read had.

You know what, CDPR? Just remake the first game not too long down the road, okay?

Thrakier

I'd really would prefer less bells and whistles for an engine which is performing better. Meaning less lag and less stuttering. But I guess everyone has different priorities on this one.
EDIT:

Is there any way to make the game more responsive? Playing with a controller the game more often than not doesn't react to my button input...

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I'm in the mood to do another run in Witcher 2 again now, but I'm tempted to do it with ubersampling enabled. In 1080, with everything enabled, I get a solid 30-40 fps (this is in the forest, the most hungry GPU section in the game) but disabled I get around 90-100 FPS. Is there an option where I can stick it to stay at 30 FPS?

Thrakier

I'm in the mood to do another run in Witcher 2 again now, but I'm tempted to do it with ubersampling enabled. In 1080, with everything enabled, I get a solid 30-40 fps (this is in the forest, the most hungry GPU section in the game) but disabled I get around 90-100 FPS. Is there an option where I can stick it to stay at 30 FPS?

Try dxtory.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Geralt needs to get on that whore again. :O. Still my favorite lil bit in Witcher 2.

Second, I really don't see how they can make Yen on par with Triss. Triss has had 2 games of being there with you. So unless they make her turn into queen bitch. I don't see it happening.

Berto

Geralt needs to get on that whore again. :O. Still my favorite lil bit in Witcher 2.

Second, I really don't see how they can make Yen on par with Triss. Triss has had 2 games of being there with you. So unless they make her turn into queen bitch. I don't see it happening.
Yeah, it's tricky. If they can capture her personality from the books I (and everyone who read the books) might as well choose her, if not, Triss will be the obvious choice. However CD Projekt might not even bring Triss for Witcher 3 and focus only on Yen. Then in a 4th game both of them will fight for Geralt's dick... uh sorry, love.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Two things, Triss will not be gone. She, Dandelion, and Zoltan will be back.

2nd,
Regardless of the ending you choose, you still get her back. Similar to how Foltest daughter still lived regardless of the route you choose. Its deliberate since these characters will still have importance in the sequel. Same with Roche and Ivo. The ground has been laid for most of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom