• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luthos

Man I was waiting for a launch trailer this last week, but 3 of them? My hype meter broke a long time ago. They all looked amazing.

Can't wait till Tuesday. This game, along with some TV show finales are gonna make that week so good. So very good.

Animator

CecilRousso said:
Still on the fence about buying the game on Steam or GoG. GoG seems nice, but I want my game collected in one place when possible. Has there been any clear confirmation about whether or note the Steam version will include Securom?

GOG is the only DRM free version.

Thought I'd refresh my memory of the first game by doing the last half hour over. Daaamn, the neutral ending was deep. I'm working on picking a side this time but I'm definitely carrying over my neutral Geralt.

Watching the last cutscene knowing that the sequel is a few days away has got me in hype overdrive.

Are there any pics of the Raven armor in TW2?

Animator said:
GOG is the only DRM free version.

Do you have any source for this? It´s probably the most dissapointing DRM news ever if true. I can still buy the game on GOG, and I will not miss it, but......oh CD Project :(.

Mohonky

So conflicted about this.

I really want to try The Witcher 2, but everytime I try to get into the first one I get about 3 hrs in and just lose interest. I just can't seem to get into it. It's too.....I just think it's a bit too involved for me these days, I can't sit there and bother to invest the time into it. Alchemy and Potions and games have always sort of disinterested me. I was expecting it to be a bit more adventure than the first one turned out to be.

Should I really consider this game? I had the same problem with Neverwinter Nights 2. Always wanted to play it then when I did I couldn't get past the first few hours.

Mohonky said:

I really want to try The Witcher 2, but everytime I try to get into the first one I get about 3 hrs in and just lose interest. I just can't seem to get into it. It's too.....I just think it's a bit too involved for me these days, I can't sit there and bother to invest the time into it. Alchemy and Potions and games have always sort of disinterested me. I was expecting it to be a bit more adventure than the first one turned out to be.

Should I really consider this game? I had the same problem with Neverwinter Nights 2. Always wanted to play it then when I did I couldn't get past the first few hours.

The first chapter (outskirts) is the weak part of tw1.
The story picks up at the end of the chapter.
Then at the start of each chapter you have a lull in the pacing where you suddenly have a huge new area to explore and a ton of new npcs and story bits to introduce, after which it picks up again.

The story bits do always seem to come together nicely.

It's still better paced than da: origins 4 hours of horse shit background lore /dialog in the prologue (after you do the origin's story) before you can start playing, or DA II's mmo formula.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
The first chapter is the worst beginning of any game I've played. There is absolutely nothing even remotely interesting about those annoying villagers or the village itself and dealing with them sucked so bad. I just wanted to pull a Fallout and kill them to get what I needed.

Max

I am not Max
So how are TW1 saves working with 2? I recall reading about being able to transfer Raven's armour?

CecilRousso said:
Do you have any source for this? It´s probably the most dissapointing DRM news ever if true. I can still buy the game on GOG, and I will not miss it, but......oh CD Project :(.
Says so on GOG.

Question, is there anything wrong with Steam's DRM? I'm just wondering what makes a non-drm version preferable over having it added to a list of PC games that you own for convenience

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Max said:
So how are TW1 saves working with 2? I recall reading about being able to transfer Raven's armour?

Some items are supposed to transfer over. I'm not sure if it's official, but it's expected that the Raven armor will. Since Shani vs. Triss probably won't matter, the squirrel vs. order is likely to be the only choice that has an actual impact, or so I hope.

Iorveth better appreciate my choices, that's all I gotta say on that matter.

Blizzard

Banned
CecilRousso said:
Wait, what? They can't sell a Steam version without DRM, by definition, since Steam is DRM.

ATARI apparently insisted that some sort of DRM be included with retail copies, so they included Securom as merely a disk check (no install limits etc.), I think.

GOG they have control of, and selling it DRM free there also provides people an additional potential incentive to buy.

How would you suggest they have released their game without DRM, outside of GOG?

longdi

Banned
hey can someone advice how reliable is GOG? After PSN shitstorm, i am extra cautious.
I have not used GOG before, does it work like Steam? I look at the list of games, they are old classics, so i will really only buying TW2 from GOG...and i do not want another program accessing my PC and private information.

Well, it's decided. Without a PC that can play this well, I'm just going to have to play TW1 through again at launch to distract myself from its sequel.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
It is a one-time online check at install, and after that it doesn't check anymore. You have unlimited installs for up to 5 computers at once. That's really not bad. If it checked whenever I booted up the game I'd cancel my Steam pre-order but as it is, I can live with it.

dino1980

Shake Appeal said:
Well, it's decided. Without a PC that can play this well, I'm just going to have to play TW1 through again at launch to distract myself from its sequel.

Haha you can tell us later how that is working out for you :) Like pouring fuel over a fire to try and put it out.

Blizzard said:
Wait, what? They can't sell a Steam version without DRM, by definition, since Steam is DRM.

ATARI apparently insisted that some sort of DRM be included with retail copies, so they included Securom as merely a disk check (no install limits etc.), I think.

GOG they have control of, and selling it DRM free there also provides people an additional potential incentive to buy.

How would you suggest they have released their game without DRM, outside of GOG?

When you talk about DRM with Steam, you of course mean 3rd party DRM like Securom. DRM free on Steam are games without that, and it makes sense to say that since most people experience Steam as a value adding service, and not DRM.

The decision to include Securom in the Steam version makes even less sense if the retail version is only a disc check without install limits. If anything, that shows that it´s included because CD Project want to promote GoG, and that really isn´t a sign of customer friendly company.

dwebo

Shake Appeal said:
If you can play TW1, you can play TW2, and it'll look nicer and probably run better to boot.

*Assuming you're not at like the bare minimum for TW1 - that might not run, looking at the specs.

Blizzard

Banned
CecilRousso said:
When you talk about DRM with Steam, you of course mean 3rd party DRM like Securom. DRM free on Steam are games without that, and it makes sense to say that since most people experience Steam as a value adding service, and not DRM.

The decision to include Securom in the Steam version makes even less sense if the retail version is only a disc check without install limits. If anything, that shows that it´s included because CD Project want to promote GoG, and that really isn´t a sign of customer friendly company.
Oh, I just realized I am replying to you in two different threads. I know of no confirmation that securom is in the Steam version, and the store page still doesn't mention it. If it does end up in the Steam version that is a bit silly, but again I believe they used a minimal level of the DRM.

I'd say wait and see for confirmation, if it's that important to you and you prefer not to buy from GOG. And Steam is DRM, it ties a game to your account, prevents you from playing the game if your account gets disabled, and requires the client to run.

Mohonky said:

i suggest that you get it and wait for the cheats/trainers that enables maximum potion or something? as for me this isn't a problem i actually want games that require a lot of my time.. i have re played the Witcher 3-4x

the Witcher 2 is going to blow away a lot of people, its probably going to set a benchmark for the way RPG's are supposed to be

CD Projekt plans on releasing free DLC and expansion packs, removing the DRM, if an enhanced edition ever comes out your def going to see a free patch to match the benefits. i can't say enough good things about these guys..

Blizzard said:
Oh, I just realized I am replying to you in two different threads. I know of no confirmation that securom is in the Steam version, and the store page still doesn't mention it. If it does end up in the Steam version that is a bit silly, but again I believe they used a minimal level of the DRM.

I'd say wait and see for confirmation, if it's that important to you and you prefer not to buy from GOG.

Well yeah, that what I´m doing, and I´m holding of my purchase until I know:

1. If it´s true. And if so, then I also want to know:
2. Why it´s there? What the gain for them and the publisher?
3. How it works in terms of activations and server dependencies.
4. How it effects your computer, what does it install on it if anything.
5. If they have any plans to patch it out after some time.

longdi said:
I have not used GOG before, does it work like Steam? I look at the list of games, they are old classics, so i will really only buying TW2 from GOG...and i do not want another program accessing my PC and private information.

After you've paid for your game (whatever it is) you download the installer and you'll never have to visit GOG again.

You can back it up or do whatever you want with it. Burn the installer on a disc and you'll have a DRM free disc copy of the game. No serial, disc check or anything.

dwebo

toasty_T said:
After you've paid for your game (whatever it is) you download the installer and you'll never have to visit GOG again.

You can back it up or do whatever you want with it. Burn the installer on a disc and you'll have a DRM free disc copy of the game. No serial, disc check or anything.
Aren't game patches / DLC delivered through the installer?

Just saying it'll probably be more involved than your typical gog release.

Sethos

Banned
$61 ... eugh

872897615.png

dwebo said:
If you can play TW1, you can play TW2, and it'll look nicer and probably run better to boot.

*Assuming you're not at like the bare minimum for TW1 - that might not run, looking at the specs.
The Witcher 1 runs reasonably well at sort of midrange settings, so I probably could scrape through on minimum settings for TW2, but part of my thing is I want the first time I play it to be on Ultra, so I'm just going to have to wait until I buy a new gaming PC 12-24 months from now.

Tokubetsu

toasty_T said:

So crazy when you type it out like this. They're literally trusting you won't just burn you friend a copy or worse...Shit like this makes me not buying TW1 the three times I have though haha.

Blizzard

Banned
Sethos said:
$61 ... eugh

872897615.png
What country do you live in? I was reading that there was supposed to be a "fair price package", at least for Australia, since they were required to charge more for the game there. The package would give a $26 GOG store credit. You pay more, but at least you could perhaps get a few more games. I don't know how you would find out if your country has such a package, though.

szaromir

Banned
CecilRousso said:
There are no DRM free games on Steam, period. I've had far too many inconveniences with Steam's DRM to call it DRM free.

Sethos

Banned
Blizzard said:
What country do you live in? I was reading that there was supposed to be a "fair price package", at least for Australia, since they were required to charge more for the game there. The package would give a $26 GOG store credit. You pay more, but at least you could perhaps get a few more games. I don't know how you would find out if your country has such a package, though.

I'm from Denmark. Looking through their selection, not sure what I'd do with that extra cash though - Not much appeals to me there. Was just told to buy the game from GOG to support the developers, was hoping they'd have an untaxed price. ( Impulse did for a while ).

szaromir said:
There are no DRM free games on Steam, period. I've had far too many inconveniences with Steam's DRM to call it DRM free.

Then you and I have to different views on that to be able to discuss it. Steam for me is a service that I want, not DRM.

dwebo said:
Aren't game patches / DLC delivered through the installer?

Just saying it'll probably be more involved than your typical gog release.

From what they've said you have to register the game to receive updates using the key they send you. After the patch cycle slows down after they'll release a fully updated installer.

Assuming the game comes out bug free (lol) you won't have to go back to the site again.

Tokubetsu said:
So crazy when you type it out like this. They're literally trusting you won't just burn you friend a copy or worse...Shit like this makes me not buying TW1 the three times I have though haha.

Maybe because they can see the inevitability of it being pirated so they're providing incentive not to. I don't get it because pirates like free shit.

I would DRM my games so hard. Fuck everybody.

Tokubetsu

toasty_T said:
From what they've said you have to register the game to receive updates using the key they send you. After the patch cycle slows down after they'll release a fully updated installer.

Assuming the game comes out bug free (lol) you won't have to go back to the site again.

Maybe because they can see the inevitability of it being pirated so they're providing incentive not to. I don't get it because pirates like free shit.

I would DRM my games so hard. Fuck everybody.

Booboo there, there isn't supposed to be a "not" haha. I've bought TW1 from d2d, retail and gog finally. No idea wtf happened to my retail copy.

Polk

Sethos said:
$61 ... eugh

872897615.png
If you're billed in euro, you will get store credit on gog price matching us price.
Or you can change your country to US in account options and get billed in usd without store credit.

Sethos

Banned
Polk said:
If you're billed in euro, you will get store credit on gog price matching us price.
Or you can change your country to US in account options and get billed in usd without store credit.

Thanks, that worked.

Mohonky said:

Don't feel bad friend. I tried I think at least 5 different times over the years to get into it ...It's just not for me and yeah, it feels like it honestly wastes your fucking time in alotta parts for the sake of it. Completely turned me off and glad I read the Wikis/watched the ending and moved on.
As I've expressed before, I've read both books (I ADORED The Last Wish), so feel more than comfortable with the universe ...honestly more than the game would make me anyway.

Tokubetsu

AgentOtaku said:
Don't feel bad friend. I tried I think at least 5 different times over the years to get into it ...It's just not for me and yeah, it feels like it honestly wastes your fucking time in alotta parts for the sake of it. Completely turned me off and glad I read the Wikis/watched the ending and moved on.
As I've expressed before, I've read both books (I ADORED The Last Wish), so feel more than comfortable with the universe ...honestly more than the game would make me anyway.

The Swamp is so fucking horrible and they force it on you for the entirety of a chapter and then a bit more in the next one. Fuck the swamp. TW1 would be 10x better if it wasn't for the fucking swamp. It's like, "Okay, so you got through the kinda eh Act 1 but that ending was dope right? Hahaha now go to this fucking swamp. "

Swear to god, if I have to spend more than 10 minutes in a swamp in Witcher 2....I'm going to breakdown and cry.

dino1980

How are you guys gonna primarily develop your character, swordsmanship, alchemy or magic?

Im gonna play the game on hard.

After have read the Witcher 2 Manual im thinking too first max alchemy and after that swordsmanship. Dont think its any really any bigger use to go for magic when I have maxed alchemy. This because I got bombs to poison ,incinirate and alot more that is about the same as spells but harder to land on an enemy.

Van Buren

dino1980 said:
How are you guys gonna primarily develop your character, swordsmanship, alchemy or magic?

After have read the Witcher 2 Manual im thinking too first max alchemy and after that swordsmanship. Dont think its any really any bigger use to go for magic when I have maxed alchemy. This because I got bombs to poison ,incinirate and alot more that is about the same as spells but harder to land on an enemy.

Hard for certain.

I'm wavering between alchemy and swordsmanship. I loved the preparation aspect of Witcher 1 on hard, but with potions having to be used before battles in Witcher 2, I'm not certain how well the game will hint in advance about the kind of monsters you'll be facing. That, and swordsmanship has that talent which allows you to block attacks from all directions.

Will probably flip a coin or something.

dino1980 said:

Sword/Alchemy + 360 Pad

(^___^)

dino1980

Van Buren said:
Hard for certain.

I'm wavering between alchemy and swordsmanship. I loved the preparation aspect of Witcher 1 on hard, but with potions having to be used before battles in Witcher 2, I'm not certain how well the game will hint in advance about the kind of monsters you'll be facing. That, and swordsmanship has that talent which allows you to block attacks from all directions.

Will probably flip a coin or something.

I read in the manual that you can see enemies on your minimap as read dots. But they arent saying if you first have to see them with your own eyes to get them to be shown on the minimap. Also I dont think we will see cloaked monsters on the minimap. The last thing is if you can meditate with monsters showing up near you on the minimap.

If I cant see the monsters before I walk in to them and have to reload to take the potion before I walk into them, then im not going with Alchemy. Then I have to wait to my second or third time i play the game and hopping that a mod has come out so that you can drink potions will fighting.

Van Buren

It was also mentioned that potions and oils last for just a few real-time minutes this time around. Around 5-10 minutes, iirc, and so that's another factor to weigh in. Swordsmanship and Magic are probably low maintenance in comparison, but if Witcher 1 was anything to go by, Alchemy will be worth the extra effort.

A couple questions about the GOG preload:

Does the artbook/manual/extras come with the 9gb preload? or do you download those separately from the site?

Can I pause this in the GOG downloader, turn off the computer and then resume from where I left off tomorrow?

Nezabyte

Neo Member
Discotheque said:
Does the artbook/manual/extras come with the 9gb preload? or do you download those separately from the site?
Separately, though they cannot be downloaded until May 17th (the exception is the pre-order pack, which I believe is the last item on the download list)

Discotheque said:
Can I pause this in the GOG downloader, turn off the computer and then resume from where I left off tomorrow?
Yes, I'm pretty sure you can.

dino1980 said:

Normal / middle difficulty for me.

I'm not good enough at games to justify playing on hard, I will just find it too frustrating on hard. Easy is always too easy, but whenever I have tried to play a game on Hard in the past to really challenge myself, I have just not enjoyed it out of frustration so Hard is the way I'm going to go.

I really hadn't decided on the way I was going to approach the game in terms of upgrades yet. I wanted to see how it was in the game, how it felt being at the lower levels, and also what the various upgrades do. I tend to go for a fairly balanced setup across each of the types (and I take it you can't grind your way up to maxing all three right?). I think I would definitely be having magic as one of my affinities and probably an equal mix then of half half alchemy / swordsmanship. But it depends what the swordsmanship upgrades do, if they really seem like they'd upgrade you very well I would consider going full swordsmanship with mixed alchemy / magic....

Always a hard decision. Later in the year, Deus Ex is going to be a harder decision!

Minsc

Gold Member
Blizzard said:

I'd say wait and see for confirmation, if it's that important to you and you prefer not to buy from GOG. And Steam is DRM, it ties a game to your account, prevents you from playing the game if your account gets disabled, and requires the client to run.

It was confirmed by a mod (developer) in their Q&A sessions, see here.

CecilRousso said:
Well yeah, that what I´m doing, and I´m holding of my purchase until I know:

1. If it´s true. And if so, then I also want to know:
2. Why it´s there? What the gain for them and the publisher?
3. How it works in terms of activations and server dependencies.
4. How it effects your computer, what does it install on it if anything.
5. If they have any plans to patch it out after some time.

1) Yes
2) Helps prevent 0-day piracy and general piracy I guess, maybe not, but that's what they want
3) Unlimited, SecureROM's server should be just as reliable as Steam's I'd guess, maybe more so
4) It's unnoticeable
5) Yes

Sethos

Banned
Not even that interested in the game, just buying it to support game developers that seem to still have a passion for games, not big bags with dollar signs on them and customer milking.

Sethos said:
Not even that interested in the game, just buying it to support game developers that seem to still have a passion for games, not big bags with dollar signs on them and customer milking.

That makes no sense unless you're drowning in money and if that is the case, feel free to PM me for my address and you can buy me the CE version if you want :D :p

Sethos

Banned
ColonialRaptor said:
That makes no sense unless you're drowning in money and if that is the case, feel free to PM me for my address and you can buy me the CE version if you want :D :p

It doesn't make sense that I want to support quality game developers? And yes, I make money and I'll spend them however I please :)

Nezabyte said:
Separately, though they cannot be downloaded until May 17th (the exception is the pre-order pack, which I believe is the last item on the download list)

Yes, I'm pretty sure you can.

thanks, I ended up waiting for dl to finish out of paranoia (lol). Honestly at this point if GOG offered new releases I would opt for this over steam. I love their approach to no drm and also offering extras (wallpapers, osts, other media) with the downloads.

Of course the lack of drm isn't feasible for the big publishers for obvious reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom