• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

natkingcoleslaw

Neo Member
longdi said:
hey can someone advice how reliable is GOG? After PSN shitstorm, i am extra cautious.
I have not used GOG before, does it work like Steam? I look at the list of games, they are old classics, so i will really only buying TW2 from GOG...and i do not want another program accessing my PC and private information.

I don't think it can go down, or what I mean is even if it does, you wouldn't be affected.

natkingcoleslaw

Neo Member
CecilRousso said:
If anything, that shows that it´s included because CD Project want to promote GoG, and that really isn´t a sign of customer friendly company.

Yes, that's exactly what it shows and it's the sign of a competitive company. Why wouldn't you promote your own distribution service over others in some small way. Anyways, the DRM in the steam version, though silly, isn't prohibitive. For all you know, they might patch it off like they did in Witcher EE.

Besides, going to the extent of saying, all DLC will be free, is more than friendly in today's environment.

Minsc

Gold Member
CecilRousso just needs to back down, it's pretty obvious this implementation of DRM is even less intrusive than Steam itself, which he accepts out of desire/convenience, and then says it is irrelevant what Steam does that is even worse simply because he likes Steam. It's fine if he wants to veto the game for a silly reason like it has an additional DRM which has no real drawbacks compared to what you're accepting already by using Steam, but don't act like it's the mother of all evil or something, when there's been far, far worse out. They also said they'd very likely be patching it out in the future, so he can just wait a few months if GOG is not an option and he is that stubborn.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm kind of glad about buying the retail as I like the originals box and you don't need the disc to play anyways. I care less about having this tied to Steam or any service to be honest with you.

The only sad thing I regret is I can't get LA Noire right now due to this coming out and I'm almost as excited about it as this game but this one is going to be priority for a while.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Minsc said:
CecilRousso just needs to back down, it's pretty obvious this implementation of DRM is even less intrusive than Steam itself, which he accepts out of desire/convenience, and then says it is irrelevant what Steam does that is even worse simply because he likes Steam.

Pretty much. He's even bitching about it in the other threads. There are several options in buying TW2. Retail, with full DRM, Steam with release day DRM, and GoG with no DRM. No other major PC release have given this level of choice, yet he continues to find fault because his preferred method of buying is clashing against his militant anti-DRM stance. You can't argue or even debate with somebody like that. Their mind is made up and they'll find conspiracies and underhandedness regardless of facts.

Asparagus

I saw the free TF2 hat on the Steam and was tempted, just for one second to cancel my GoG pre order...

Anyways, I need to finish up my play through of the first one asap, this is getting far too close to release.

Sethos said:
It doesn't make sense that I want to support quality game developers? And yes, I make money and I'll spend them however I please :)

Heh... it's all good, I'm the same dude, I was just taking an opportunity to have a joke about trying to get a free CE :)

Damn this last bit of a wait. The last few days of waiting are always the hardest....

I could easily just sleep through the entire day tomorrow, that would make the wait less painful. I want to do some character design for my portfolio but when I'm like this I have no patience to take my time and work on characters properly and do a good job :/

Nekrono

untitled-20jmq.jpg

The wait just became much more painful!.

bengraven

Nekrono said:
untitled-20jmq.jpg

The wait just became much more painful!.

You have to wait, what 4 days? I've had the game bought since December. Sucks to have to wait for a game you paid $50 for almost 6 months ago. :(

Nekrono

bengraven said:
You have to wait, what 4 days? I've had the game bought since December. Sucks to have to wait for a game you paid $50 for almost 6 months ago. :(
I know, that's exactly why I don't pre-order games that early :p.

epmode

longdi said:
hey can someone advice how reliable is GOG? After PSN shitstorm, i am extra cautious.
I have not used GOG before, does it work like Steam? I look at the list of games, they are old classics, so i will really only buying TW2 from GOG...and i do not want another program accessing my PC and private information.
GOG is just a website. You get a personalized link to your homepage with a list of all the games you own along with all of the bonus content. You can download stuff as regular internet files or with an optional downloader that supports resuming.

The game files can be downloaded as often as you want and there's absolutely no DRM so you're free to back them up however you want. The files will still work even if GOG goes under (which doesn't seem likely, considering their success).

bengraven

Nekrono said:
I know, that's exactly why I don't pre-order games that early :p.

Noooo shit. My wife looked at me the other day and said "hey, you should use that 50 dollar gift card to Amazon to preorder Skyrim". I shook my head: "Nah, I want to play my shit right now...fuck that..."

Mohonky

Tried some more of the game and started to really get into it but god it's got some annoying traits.

I mean, you need to collect something, but in order to do that, you have to have the talent unlocked and you need a book to tell you how to collect that, whether it's a bestiary or herbal book etc. Then I couldn't find the books I needed.

That shit drove me up the wall, never mind the hundreds of random items I was picking up for making potions etc.

I'm hoping The Witcher 2 will be a little more stream lined or n00b friendly in this regard?

natkingcoleslaw

Neo Member
Asparagus said:
I saw the free TF2 hat on the Steam and was tempted, just for one second to cancel my GoG pre order...

Anyways, I need to finish up my play through of the first one asap, this is getting far too close to release.

What hat?

abunai

Mohonky said:
Tried some more of the game and started to really get into it but god it's got some annoying traits.

I mean, you need to collect something, but in order to do that, you have to have the talent unlocked and you need a book to tell you how to collect that, whether it's a bestiary or herbal book etc. Then I couldn't find the books I needed.

That shit drove me up the wall, never mind the hundreds of random items I was picking up for making potions etc.

I'm hoping The Witcher 2 will be a little more stream lined or n00b friendly in this regard?

I don't think we've been explicitly told but in some trailers we can see Geralt just walking past herbs and a tooltip pops up saying we can collect it. No idea if anything needs to be learned prior to having this ability but it would be a bit jarring to require re-learning herbalism et al due to the story continuing straight after the first games. Maybe it is save dependent?

Darklord said:
Wait, you can just change region and avoid the Australian version? Fuck, I pre-ordered it from the UK. An extra weeks wait for nothing.

They only just changed the policy on this because of the situation with Witcher and pissed off aussies.

Minsc

Gold Member
Mohonky said:

It's not all that bad, you just buy every book that's unread you come across, and put one or two throwaway points in to abilities (they're the abundant copper points), and no problems. I kinda liked buying the books and seeing the "new" icon then clicking on a monster ingredient or alchemy one in the journal to see it's picture and description. It's about all money is good for in the game anyway :)

Random items for potions aren't that bad either, the game autopicks the ingredients for you when you make potions, though I just realized how to make extra effect potions (match the second color across all ingredients), but they're unnecessary, I didn't use any custom/enhanced potions in my entire game on hard.

Domstercool said:
Got the game in the post today, but can't start it til the 17th. Damn the date lock >.<

Yea, it sucks, but you technically got it early, which is unfair to everyone else who's stuck following the rules set by CDP. And if it wasn't for the lock, pirates would already have at it, which is perhaps the most insulting to paying customers.

If you got the CE, that unlocks on the 16th, so one less day of waiting for that.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Domstercool said:
Got the game in the post today, but can't start it til the 17th. Damn the date lock >.<

Read the manual.

And then re-read it. At least you'll know the basics when you boot up the game!

Aurarian

I think I've made my choice between L.A. Noire and Witcher 2. Definitely getting Witcher 2 instead. It's cheaper, don't have to worry about PSN for the exclusive case, has gamepad support, will look great on my HDTV, free DLC, and did I mention it looks fantastic?

Minsc

Gold Member
Sethos said:
Hopefully the game won't hit me in the face with a sledgehammer, never having played The Witcher before.

If you just read the six or so short stories in "The Last Wish," takes about 6-10 hours, you'll be in really good shape, probably just as good as having played the first game. It's quicker and easier than the 50 hours of The Witcher 1, though you could just youtube your way through it in a few hours probably.

RedSwirl

I've never really seen anyone ask this before, but where do the games take place in relation to the books anyway? Wouldn't the branching storylines mess with what's already there?

Darklord

Banned
ColonialRaptor said:
They only just changed the policy on this because of the situation with Witcher and pissed off aussies.

Oh awesome. I'm canceling my pre-order and buying it on gog then. And it definitely hasn't changed, right? I just change my location to America and I'm good to go?

bengraven

RedSwirl said:
I've never really seen anyone ask this before, but where do the games take place in relation to the books anyway? Wouldn't the branching storylines mess with what's already there?

After the books.

Minsc

Gold Member
RedSwirl said:
Wouldn't the branching storylines mess with what's already there?

Far as I can tell, the game is at times a copy of the books, and some stories are taken directly from the books (like the intro with the striga), and other times they are used a bit more loosely. It's definitely inspired by the books, and stays true to what is in the books, so it wouldn't be wrong to say reading the books gives you insight to the characters in the game.

Darklord said:
Yay! I can play the game before I go away for a week then. Only $41 too!

That's exactly what I did earlier this week.

I had an order in with Amazon. Was going to cost me $64 AU with express international shipping.

Found out about GOG allowing you to simply change country in the settings, cancelled Pre-Order and ordered through GOG, I paid $42, seems the exchange rate got better since I ordered.

Imagine if the Aussie dollar goes up to $1.25 or even $1.50 US in the future, things will be 1/4 price... I will go on an import FRENZY (although I can't really say now is that much different, I'm not buying much locally).

This game looks so good, I'm have the strong urge to buy even though I wouldn't be able to play it for a while....or not until playing the first game and upgrade my graphics card.

Druz

I noticed a long time ago that they gave Geralt a design more similar to the early early shots of The Witcher... what with his stripes and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom