• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

syoaran

Easy_D said:
So, I thought The Witcher 1 was supposed to give you a clear game save, apparently not? So do I just import my save from the Epilogue into Witcher 2 come Tuesday?

I'm confused about this too, I didn't get a save option at the end of the game. So does it not take into account
my decision regarding the Wild Hunt (which I thought was the most prominent decision made about the protagonist, that and the Wild Hunt is awesome)

syoaran said:
I'm confused about this too, I didn't get a save option at the end of the game. So does it not take into account
my decision regarding the Wild Hunt (which I thought was the most prominent decision made about the protagonist, that and the Wild Hunt is awesome)

Spose it doesnt. Do the books that are translated cover that stuff, because the game was pretty unclear about what that whole thing is.

Coldsnap said:
Hows the controller support on The Witcher 1? Might burn through the first one fast in the next week.

Non-existant.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Coldsnap said:
Hows the controller support on The Witcher 1? Might burn through the first one fast in the next week.

There is none (unless you fiddle with Xpadder), but unless you plan on comfy couching it, it plays perfectly fine on a keyboard.

It won't hurt you, promise.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Coldsnap said:
My computer monitor is terrible though and I spent all my money upgrading my Pc lol

You can get a decent 1080p monitor for under 2hundo these days, so you better start saving up! Or just turn a few tricks and you'll have enough right away.

syoaran

Snapshot King said:
Spose it doesnt. Do the books that are translated cover that stuff, because the game was pretty unclear about what that whole thing is.

Checking the wiki, it seems to be very little information about him. Still, considering what we've seen of Witcher2, it looks like the story of Geralt, rather than the
great cold/future scenario is the focus. Which would make the King of the Wild Frost a very important character considering that he's partly responsible for Geralts resurrection/appearing at the start of the game/loss of memory for those 5 years. Would be a pity if your decision at the end of the game is rendered meaningless

Coldsnap

so did they streamline the controls for #2 so it can be ported onto controller without it feeling like star craft II on a controller

Max

I am not Max
syoaran said:
What are the two decisions?

i killed him

Coldsnap said:
so did they streamline the controls for #2 so it can be ported onto controller without it feeling like star craft II on a controller

Yes. They redesigned the menus. The switch between signs and sword styles is done through a radial menu, etc. Already have controls mapped. Controller should work fine. I assume there are probably still hotkeys like q for steel and e for silver without the radial menu if you play on PC though.

Max said:
What are the two decisions?

i killed him

Let the King of the Wild Hunt take him or tell him to fuck off, fight him, and then kill him yourself.

Coldsnap said:
It's kinda odd...because they technically made the combat controls more complex for #2, yet it's made for a controller.

It wasn't the complexity that made the first game unplayable on a controller, it was the lack of controller support.

Exuro

SerArthurDayne said:
I assume there are probably still hotkeys like q for steel and e for silver without the radial menu if you play on PC though.
Everything is hotkey'd. Manual has it all listed, looks good.

Exuro said:

Groovy. Although now that I recall skimming the manual I think e is actually assigned to parry or something. Looking forward to advanced combat. Worst part of the Witcher 1 by far.

Snuggler said:
terrible, most likely

Anyways, I'm probably gonna be awake for the preload even thought that's super late. Guess I better stock up on red bulls.
You and me both. I'm planning on staying up well into the morning. There's no way id be able to sleep anyway.

Exuro

jcvuym.png

Meditation is a weird button combo but other than that and the lack of choosing/using a sign at once it looks great.

Exuro said:
I didn't see hotkeys for individual signs, but they may just not have a default bind. I usually scrolled through them myself anyways.

Zane

Exuro said:

Meditation is a weird button combo but other than that and the lack of choosing/using a sign at once it looks great.

Controls look super simple on KB/M, that's refreshing. The first game was fucking weird in that sense. I still can't remember all the keys especially for drawing weapons and switching stances.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Controls look super simple on KB/M, that's refreshing. The first game was fucking weird in that sense. I still can't remember all the keys especially for drawing weapons and switching stances.

Really? The only negative I see about the new controls are the lack of an assigned button for each sign. But I also thought Witcher 1 was very simple. I usually just used q or e to scroll through the fighting styles, as that was much simpler than using z/x/c to do so.

Zane said:
The developers are saying that you will need the best possible CPU and GPU available in order to run the game with all the settings -- including Ubersampling, which renders the entire scene multiple times in order to "give best possible texture and object details and antialiasing" -- turned up.

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/16447-the-witcher-2-readme-reveals-uber-sampling-mode-more-options/

My Core 2 Duo E8400 + GTX 460 weeps. Maybe I'll be able to get high settings.

You'll be able to do high for sure, maybe with some ultra.

Uber is above Ultra, it's basically a 'special super high image quality mode' made for future generations of hardware.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Exuro said:
They aren't in the manual so you'll probably have to wait to see a screenshot of the layout in game.
Wonder if it'll use actual button prompts or if it'll just be like 'joystick button 4'. I mean, that's so 2007, but I could see it happening

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I can't decide on whether to go with Steam or buy the disc from amazon. Any advantages for disc considering this is not a Steamworks title? I have heard that they are putting in Cloud and Steam Achievements.

Kevin

Sad to see games get pirated like this. I purchased a copy of the game on Steam just as I did the original. Look forward to playing it Tuesday. :)

Exuro

DenogginizerOS said:
I can't decide on whether to go with Steam or buy the disc from amazon. Any advantages for disc considering this is not a Steamworks title? I have heard that they are putting in Cloud and Steam Achievements.
Only advantage is $10 credit and The Ultimate Swordsman Suit DLC. Well and getting some physical goodies.

mercenar1e said:
and it begins.. the Witcher 2 is pirated and cracked hours before the release.. i hope it doesn't impact CD Projekt
Looks like it's time to stop going to a few forums in case of spoilers.

BoobPhysics101 said:
You'll be able to do high for sure, maybe with some ultra.

Uber is above Ultra, it's basically a 'special super high image quality mode' made for future generations of hardware.

I've asked a dozen times and no one can even ballpark it for me, any idea what a 4850 (512) would do? All I want is a decent framerate on 720p, no matter how low those settings have to go.

zoner said:
Wonder if it'll use actual button prompts or if it'll just be like 'joystick button 4'. I mean, that's so 2007, but I could see it happening

360 UI is in there. At least it was during E3 last year, so highly doubt they took it out...

mercenar1e said:
and it begins.. the Witcher 2 is pirated and cracked hours before the release.. i hope it doesn't impact CD Projekt
This is one of the only games where I'm offended by this. CDP have gone out of their way to make this the best experience available for PC gamers and people still hack it. Why spit on one of the few remaining developers that are catering to us, the master race?

zoner said:
We saw the 360 notations on the screen long before we ever saw the PC notations, so they'll be there.

As for piracy, it was already out early last week. I read about it on the official site's forums before they took it down for the revamp.

Exuro

Jay Shadow said:
We saw the 360 notations on the screen long before we ever saw the PC notations, so they'll be there.

As for piracy, it was already out early last week. I read about it on the official site's forums before they took it down for the revamp.
I didn't hear anything about it being cracked though.

antonz

The game itself has been making the rounds for a bit of time. Its uncracked though last I saw. NFO file still says wait for crack on the NFO tracking sites. Once the activation happens it will be open season for the groups to get a crack out though

Its a shame but in the end there are always going to be those who pirate no matter what

delirium

Exuro said:
I didn't hear anything about it being cracked though.
Because its not. Not unless they hacked CDP's server to get the files that are required to run the game. There's probably images of the retail game out but that's worthless. Nearly all PC games now that built in retail 0-day protection (you need to download a final file to play).

DaBuddaDa

Games are cracked, people pirate them, it happens to every game. Lets not derail the thread with doom and gloom and righteous indignation over something expected and uncontrollable.

Complistic

They can't crack it yet because the game requires 50mb of downloaded data to even run. That DVD has been around for a week already. But really people who even think about pirating this game should just /self.

Sober

Exuro said:
Wait a second ... Ctrl+Esc brings up the Start menu in windows ... xp at least. This is gonna be interesting.

bengraven

iNvidious01 said:
360 controller ftw

Yyyyyeah, had no plans on using it, but after looking at those controls...totally gonna.

Block is E, signs are middle mb? All sounds really awkward with kb/m.

Exuro

bengraven said:
Yyyyyeah, had no plans on using it, but after looking at those controls...totally gonna.

Block is E, signs are middle mb? All sounds really awkward with kb/m.
Or Q. I actually like the idea off having all "attacks" on the mouse. I'm sure we'll be able to adjust the controls to our liking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom