• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

abunai

Hawk269 said:
I am still a PC noob and built a new rig about a month ago. Based on what you guys know of the game, would I be able to max this game out? Perhaps even Uber settings at 60fps?

Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
ASUS P8P67 DELUXE (REV 3.0) Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
EVGA GeForce GTX 580 x2 SLI OC 875/1750/2050
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz OC 4.5Ghz
Corsair Professional Series AX1200 1200W ATX12V v2.31 PSU
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner
Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" HDD x2
Windows 7 64Bit Ultimate Edition
Sony Bravia KDL-55HX800 55" 1080p 3D TV

Joke post?

It should max anything.

abunai said:
Joke post?

It should max anything.

It's called 'more money than sense.'

HAY GUYZ I JUST BUY FERRARI

WILL I BEAT DODGE CHALLENGER

Edit: He's just e-peening his PC rig.

Why would else would he include this?: "Sony Bravia KDL-55HX800 55" 1080p 3D TV"

zlatko

Banned
Hawk269 said:
I am still a PC noob and built a new rig about a month ago. Based on what you guys know of the game, would I be able to max this game out? Perhaps even Uber settings at 60fps?

It won't be able to run the game as it will all be stolen soon.

syoaran

Minsc said:
Yea, I think it's you (no offense), playing on medium definitely lowers your time a little, and skipping a lot of the VA does as well, as does taking advantage of igni early on and playing games quickly in QA. There's no shortage of people who take 60+ hours to play the game, I just didn't want someone to think it'd be normal to have a 25-30 hour playthrough, unless they're the type of person to blast through games. I did more or less claim it was impossible earlier though, so that is wrong, just highly unlikely for someone to have such a short run through TW1.

As for the books, they're no substitute to the game, I agree, but the game is usually around 50 hours, and for 1/5th that investment, you can have a great feeling for the characters by reading The Last Wish. A lot of people find the game's combat and pacing horrible too, which wouldn't be a problem in the short stories. Just a suggestion for those who want a little more than nothing going in on the game in the next few days. :)

No offense taken - and if you had posted this before instead of calling me out as a liar, I wouldnt of posted as I had.

And your right about the book vs the game, its the perfect counter argument. I just felt that at the time, people shouldn't skip the 1st game because the sequel is only a few days away. I think (after playing it), its worth investing the time to experience what it has to offer. It's a good game with a rich world and some fairly great concepts. (loved going into Act4 from Act3, felt very refreshing) I doubt many players will go back to the 1st game if they just launched themselves into the 2nd, so I think its preferably avoided.

I've got launch fever now, but I have an exam the day after the game is launched so got to put it on hold for another day..

iNvid02

i didnt use to like 16:9 but the black bars are the perfect spot for stuff like fraps/msi afterburner, can keep an eye on useage/temps etc. be like assassins creed

Fox318

Hawk269 said:

Hmmm.... you should send this to me for testing.
awesome rig

Hawk269

BoobPhysics101 said:
It's called 'more money than sense.'

HAY GUYZ I JUST BUY FERRARI

WILL I BEAT DODGE CHALLENGER

Edit: He's just e-peening his PC rig.

Why would else would he include this?: "Sony Bravia KDL-55HX800 55" 1080p 3D TV"

Why are some being such dicks about this? I am a noob pc gamer, I have been a console gamer for over 30 years. I built the above rig and I just copied and posted my specs from teh EVGA forums because whenever you have a technical issue, they suggest you put your specs entirely so people can help out. All I did was copy my sig from the EVGA forums.

And like I said, I have been only PC gaming for a short time and although I know my rig is powerfull, I do not know alot of what some of these settings do to games that hamper fps and what exactly "uber" settings consist of.

I was just wondering what and if my rig would max out the game and maintain a steady 60fps. no reason to be a dick about it!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Don't sweat it man, he's just being sensitive for some reason.

Not to say you're bragging, but if I had a set up like that you can bet your sweet tits that I would be bragging in every post I make.

Have fun running this beast on Ultra, my friend.

Corto

Hawk269 said:

No. Burn it.
I'm just jealous... ;) That build will eat TW2 in a bite and spit it out no problem

n0n44m

Hawk269 said:
Why are some being such dicks about this? I am a noob pc gamer, I have been a console gamer for over 30 years. I built the above rig and I just copied and posted my specs from teh EVGA forums because whenever you have a technical issue, they suggest you put your specs entirely so people can help out. All I did was copy my sig from the EVGA forums.

And like I said, I have been only PC gaming for a short time and although I know my rig is powerfull, I do not know alot of what some of these settings do to games that hamper fps and what exactly "uber" settings consist of.

I was just wondering what and if my rig would max out the game and maintain a steady 60fps. no reason to be a dick about it!

so you know how to overclock a 2600K and SLI 580s but you're not sure if you can max out Witcher 2 at 1080p?

OK well anyway, it's a new game so SLI might need a driver update to maximize potential but if you can't run it at highest settings 1080p with that rig then something is very wrong

Salaadin

Hawk269 said:

Im jealous. Make sure you take in game pics and post them in the PC screens thread to make me even more jealous. Its going to look awesome for you.

Mareg

Hawk269 said:

Hmmm, people asume you are trolling because your sig contains almost the best tech available currently.
So yes, unless devs are out of their mind, you should run any games at their utmost settings all year long.
Now about that Sony set.... I think yours might need a little "professional" calibration. I'll pay for shipment.
One way shipment fee buahahaha

The only thing that could hinder you would be poor software / OS configuration. But still, you'd have to be pretty shamefull to get such a rig down with any kind of wacky config.

Amir0x

Banned
This is the first time I pre-purchased something on Steam. Now, does it start downloading automatically in 1 day and 20 hours?

Exuro

Amir0x said:
This is the first time I pre-purchased something on Steam. Now, does it start downloading automatically in 1 day and 20 hours?
Pretty sure you'll need to initialize the download.

RedSwirl

Hawk269 said:

Total cost?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Dont mind it Hawk it's a legitimate question. Afterall you didn't ask " can I run it " rather " Can I run it ubersettings @ 60fps " which people somehow foolishly interpret as somekind of bragging.

we have quite similar setups, same cpu and OC , same amount of ram and same motherboard etc. Main difference is your two 580s vs my 560s. Nonetheless we simply gotta wait to see how this elusive uber-mode performs.

Hawk269

Mareg said:
Hmmm, people asume you are trolling because your sig contains almost the best tech available currently.
So yes, unless devs are out of their mind, you should run any games at their utmost settings all year long.
Now about that Sony set.... I think yours might need a little "professional" calibration. I'll pay for shipment.
One way shipment fee buahahaha

The only thing that could hinder you would be poor software / OS configuration. But still, you'd have to be pretty shamefull to get such a rig down with any kind of wacky config.

Thanks for the reply. Appreciate it. Posting the specs was not meant to troll at all...just a ex-console gamer wondering about my rig and this game, that is all. I know the rig is powerfull, but in this day and age and the fact that Witcher 2 is one of the rare PC games as of late that is not a "console to pc port" so not sure about how it wil run at uber settings or not.

Kyaw

Uber sampling shouldn't be that hard to run. It's probably just another name for supersampling.
Depends how many levels of it.

I've tried 2xSupersampling in Crysis 2 and i got 40-60s with the GTX480.

If the engine is optimised enough, you SLI guys can surely run ubersampling easily. :/
Or just force supersampling through Nvidia inspector or Ati Radeon pro.

Hawk269

RedSwirl said:
Total cost?

It was insane man. Without the TV it was close to about $2400 including Windows and all the parts plus taxes/shipping etc. I had alot of help from the 2011 PC thread here on Gaf, I would say I could not have done it without the help from the guys in that thread.

Salaadin

Hawk269 said:
It was insane man. Without the TV it was close to about $2400 including Windows and all the parts plus taxes/shipping etc. I had alot of help from the 2011 PC thread here on Gaf, I would say I could not have done it without the help from the guys in that thread.

Thats the best thread on gaf, imo. I love those guys, they were a huge help when I built 2 years ago as well.

Just think, if GOGs original plan held, us GOG buyers would be playing the game 24 hours from now. Why did they have to change the unlock time! :(

Amir0x said:
ugh gonna suck waiting up for it to hit midnight on a work night >_<
Countdown for the unlock:
http://www.en.thewitcher.com/

It wont be right at midnight, I think it comes out to 2 or 3am Tuesday or something.

zlatko

Banned
Salaadin said:
Thats the best thread on gaf, imo. I love those guys, they were a huge help when I built 2 years ago as well.

Just think, if GOGs original plan held, us GOG buyers would be playing the game 24 hours from now. Why did they have to change the unlock time! :(

Countdown for the unlock:
http://www.en.thewitcher.com/

It wont be right at midnight, I think it comes out to 2 or 3am Tuesday or something.

Looks like around 1AM my time. :)

Hawk269

n0n44m said:
so you know how to overclock a 2600K and SLI 580s but you're not sure if you can max out Witcher 2 at 1080p?

OK well anyway, it's a new game so SLI might need a driver update to maximize potential but if you can't run it at highest settings 1080p with that rig then something is very wrong

The overclocks were a product of asking for alot of help in the 2011 PC thread. I was actually scared to do it at all, but many convinced me it is super easy to do. The CPU Overclock was just me keying in what another user put into his bios. An EVGA Tech/Programmer posted a screen by screen description on how to key the stuff in, so all I did was follow that with the settings from a guy here on Gaf.

For the GPU's, same thing. EVGA forums where like 3/4 of the folks OC the GPU's helped alot and just walked me through it.

Pretty amazing how much help people give a noob PC gamer, but I am glad they all did because it made it easier on me. I am now able to help others out on what I learned, but still am learning about graphics settings, know what level of AA to use, super sampling etc. That is stuff I am still reading up on and learning...hence my post here in this thread and wondering if such a new game like TW2 would I be able to max.

Corky

fucking hell man did they have to make it in seconds >_< , onehundredtwentythousandseconds. That's like big bang age right dur

Salaadin

I plan on waking up Tuesday morning and getting the last 5% of the GOG download and then spending my morning tweaking it for my PC so when I come home from work at 5, Ill be good to go.

Blizzard

Banned
Amir0x said:
yeah s'pose I will do that. Not like I'd be able to play during the day anyhow, right?
Just FYI, if you ever preorder a game that actually has a preload on Steam (as opposed to GoG only), I think the game will automatically decrypt itself, but you will probably have to at least restart Steam after the clock rolls over to get the tubes unclogged.

Corky

Aha I told you your question was perfectly legitimate Hawk :

"I was getting around 45-55 but the game is not yet optimized for “Ultra” settings, so it’s hard to say what I will get in the final build. "

" Asus P6T Motherboard
- Intel Core i7 CPU 975@3.33GHz
- 12GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 Ram
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 590 / Nvidia GeForce GTX560ti (PhysX)
-1250w CoolerMaster PSU
- Asus VG236 23&#8243; HD Monitor (3D Enabled)
- Windows 7 x64"

I kept hoping for a pre-load on Steam. I just finished a grueling semester (both taking and teaching) and this was the offical kick off of my vacation. I don't want to start anything else in the meantime, but it totally sucks that I will probably have to wait an extra day or two to play it simply because my download speeds where I live aren't that hot and Steam isn't offering a pre-load.

I'm actually thinking about canceling my pre-order this afternoon on Steam and ordering it through GOG for this reason alone. I really want to be able to play this as soon as its released as this is my break week before Summer school.

Has anyone tried to cancel a Steam pre-order before? Is there any chance at all we will get a pre-load tomorrow?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
This thread is almost as big as the Witcher 1's thread and the game isn't even out yet. Man I hope this is a huge hit for CDPR.

RyanFYD

Neo Member
How would my laptop do on this game you think?

Intel Core i7-720QM Processor1.6GHz w/ turbo boost up to 2.8GHz
4GB of DDR3 1066MHz SDRAM
ATI 5730 Graphics Engine with 1 GB DDR3 Dedicated VRAM

DaBuddaDa

For all "can my computer play this game?" questions, check out:

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/

The Witcher 2 is in there now to check against.

RyanFYD said:
How would my laptop do on this game you think?

Intel Core i7-720QM Processor1.6GHz w/ turbo boost up to 2.8GHz
4GB of DDR3 1066MHz SDRAM
ATI 5730 Graphics Engine with 1 GB DDR3 Dedicated VRAM
I don't know what your performance will be, but it will certainly be able to run the game.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Sinatar said:
This thread is almost as big as the Witcher 1's thread and the game isn't even out yet. Man I hope this is a huge hit for CDPR.

Nice. At least GAF has people who can appreciate the finer things.

By Tuesday it'll already be bigger than the Fable 3 thread! If that's a metric of taste, then (some of) GAF has awesome taste.

DaBuddaDa

This will sell over a million in mainland Europe alone if Two Worlds II's sales are any indication of the popularity of open world RPGs there. It will no doubt get overshadowed in the popular media by LA Noire though.

antonz

DaBuddaDa said:
This will sell over a million in mainland Europe alone if Two Worlds II's sales are any indication of the popularity of open world RPGs there. It will no doubt get overshadowed in the popular media by LA Noire though.
Thats a given. Anything that is linked to Rockstar is going to get a mainstream blowjob.

To preface that Im not saying La Noire sucks or anything but certain publishers certainly get special treatment in attention and advertising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom