• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.
dino1980 said:
- best steel sword - a bit better that the default starting one
- best silver sword - a bit better that the default starting one

Makes you wonder how OP weapons will be in this game - I had Lady of the Lake sword and the 10-trophies sword.

Darklord said:
Ooooh.

What email do you use? Is there a button someone that says "display images" or something like that?

I use gmail and yeah I clicked "display images" and thats what I got as a result. Really weird that all you guys received a link to the games and I didn't. I sent them an email though and hopefully they will fix this issue up.

bengraven

It would be nice if we could at least get our digital "gifts" early at least. Play with the papercraft or check out the map, the guide, the music, etc.

luxarific said:
Boggles the mind that more of the Witcher novels haven't been translated into English yet, besides the two. :(

Same. Should be less cost effective for a publisher to pay a writer to translate a novel than for a novelist to actually write a completely original novel.

And yet we get tons of crappy game adaptations all the time that sell well. You'd think GOOD novels that already exist would sell well.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
bengraven said:
It would be nice if we could at least get our digital "gifts" early at least. Play with the papercraft or check out the map, the guide, the music, etc.

Same. Should be less cost effective for a publisher to pay a writer to translate a novel than for a novelist to actually write a completely original novel.

And yet we get tons of crappy game adaptations all the time that sell well. You'd think GOOD novels that already exist would sell well.
Yeah, especially the music, first game had amazing music. The song that plays in Old Vizima at night and at the Abandoned Manor is great! I can't seem to find it on Youtube or on the actual music disc though :(.

bengraven said:

It looks like they're prepping them right now.

The artbook is 202MB compared to 73MB for the artbook for TW1 which is about the same length.

Glad the artbook was delayed, I'm sure I would have looked through it and spoiled myself on some crazy shit.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Im assuming we cant get the bonus stuff off GOG cause you could easily DL all that stuff now and cancel the game and then wait till its cheaper to actually get the game or just buy it from some other retailer. Thats why only the preorder pack is available. Its sad that they have to protect themselves from that but there are likely a lot of people that would do it.

Volcynika

Amazon.com items (Sold by Amazon.com, LLC) :

1 The Witcher 2: Assassins o... $129.99 1 $129.99

Shipped via UPS

This shipment was sent to:

---------

via UPS (estimated delivery date: May 17, 2011).

It be coming!

DaBuddaDa said:
I'm sorry but this is almost as bad as "too angular." I could not disagree more, that second shot looks magnificent and I'm sure it's even better in motion.

I agree with Minsc that in motion the effect will probably be highly diminished, but something is absolutely off with those screenshots. Then again, there's an high level of subjectivity in the perception of digital images, but in stills, for me, TW2 is one of the most lifeless games of the last years. It's way, way, way too clean. I hope there's the option to apply some filters to "dirty" the image a bit.

And then again, looking at those images, something is dramatically off in the texturework. I think that's half the reason it feels so unnatural.

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/3360/witcher2201105161414018.jpg

Look at this shot. You got character models that have textures detailing the sewing of the clothing, and they're running on a bridge that is made of zoomed up wood (by the proportions of the veins in the log, that bridge should be 50 cm wide, not 5 meters). And those characters next to the ground and wall textures... how do they even mix? They don't seem to belong to the same game.

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/2613/witcher2201105161343492.jpg

Now look at this screen: bars are perfect, walls are great, Geralt looks fine, what's up with the guards and their tunics?

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/6186/witcher2201105161413107.jpg

Look at this one. It's hard to point the finger at the individual elements that don't mix, but don't tell me this shot looks natural. It's incredibly artificial. I happen to craft fantasy dioramas as an hobby, and maybe that makes me biased, but it really looks like a miniature.

Suairyu

Banned
I am so very sad I cannot afford this at launch and will have to vacate the thread by tomorrow. Just watched the four launch trailers. This game looks amazing. I think a replay of the first is in order to sate my hunger for now.

Oh by the way, I can't get the GoG downloader link to work, it doesn't do anything. Anyone know how to fix that? Or should I just use the browser?

Nekrono

VisanidethDM said:

Look at this one. It's hard to point the finger at the individual elements that don't mix, but don't tell me this shot looks natural. It's incredibly artificial. I happen to craft fantasy dioramas as an hobby, and maybe that makes me biased, but it really looks like a miniature.
First thing that came to my mind when I looked at this shot, it seems they had trouble with the scale of some elements/characters in some scenes.

I agree with you on some points, especially in those screenshots that were posted, some stuff seems way off, but still one of the most impressive games so far.

1 day 1 hour to go!
(Steam)

Kyaw

VisanidethDM said:

That texture work on the castle walls are extremely clean.

But if you look at stuff from the forest and the village in Chapter 1, the game does look very full of life. The art style for locations and characters is amazing in this game. Forget about the castle. :p

Texture resolutions are also inconsistent between some objects. Probably because its a relatively low budget game and it is only CDPR's second game. Plus you are miniature modeller. I use to build model aircrafts and helicopters and all i spent my time on was creating realistic weathering effects so the cleanliness of the textures may stand out more for you than others.

DaBuddaDa

That screenshot looks like a diorama because of the odd DOF blurring which makes it literally look like an off focus picture. If that blurring were gone and you see it in motion instead of in a picture, it would look fine. I don't see anything wrong with the texture work that makes it look bad.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
The "miniature" effect is the vignette combined with foreground bokeh (DoF). You're used to seeing the two in macro photography shots so your mind is making an interpretive assumption. When it is all animating/panning/turning/zooming with relative motion blur there will be no problem accurately sensing scale but if it comes down to it, you could just turn the features off if you really can't get past it.

Leonsito

VisanidethDM said:
I agree with Minsc that in motion the effect will probably be highly diminished, but something is absolutely off with those screenshots. Then again, there's an high level of subjectivity in the perception of digital images, but in stills, for me, TW2 is one of the most lifeless games of the last years. It's way, way, way too clean. I hope there's the option to apply some filters to "dirty" the image a bit.

And then again, looking at those images, something is dramatically off in the texturework. I think that's half the reason it feels so unnatural.

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/3360/witcher2201105161414018.jpg

Look at this shot. You got character models that have textures detailing the sewing of the clothing, and they're running on a bridge that is made of zoomed up wood (by the proportions of the veins in the log, that bridge should be 50 cm wide, not 5 meters). And those characters next to the ground and wall textures... how do they even mix? They don't seem to belong to the same game.

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/2613/witcher2201105161343492.jpg

Now look at this screen: bars are perfect, walls are great, Geralt looks fine, what's up with the guards and their tunics?

Problem with the last one is because of the DoF and the focus:

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/ny/how-to/how-to-create-your-own-fauxminiature-landscape-084722

I'm sure it will be modded or patched.

Edit: D'oh, beaten by DaBuddaDa and Dice :D

DangerStepp said:
I haven't pre-loaded just yet. What's our agreed upon, definitive version?

I think GOG.com is the only place to preload it, however people seem to be troubled by the fact that you won't be able to play this version quite a few hours after the retail version is released...which makes sense. The reason people preload is so they don't have to wait hours and hours downloading it after its release.

VisanidethDM said:

You have to remember these are shots that are meant to be seen at 25, or 30, or whatever FPS it may be. Things are going to look strange because of that. I can understand why your experience may make you more aware of scaling but try to avoid comparing game design/development to tactile model building. Cut them some slack...

EDIT: Much more intelligently put by Dice.

AllIsOneIsNone said:
I think GOG.com is the only place to preload it, however people seem to be troubled by the fact that you won't be able to play this version quite a few hours after the retail version is released...which makes sense. The reason people preload is so they don't have to wait hours and hours downloading it after its release.

Well, if you live in the U.S. it is likely earlier than you could get it retail, unless you live near a place that is open midnight and sells day-and-date PC games. Opens up at 2Am Central Standard Time, U.S.

I'd say the GOG version is the definitive version. It comes with a soundtrack, a digital artbook, a free RPG of your choice, and it is completely DRM free. Not to mention it will be available to you probably at least half a day before you could download the Steam version.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Somehow I didn't realize that Witcher 2 is totally arriving tomorrow, and I just flipped my shit. I can't wait to get the CE in my hands. :O

Fallout-NL said:
Oh by the way, I can't get the GoG downloader link to work, it doesn't do anything. Anyone know how to fix that? Or should I just use the browser?

I was having this problem. I had to restart my PC and when I just clicked on the GOG downloader it worked then.

You might need to let it sit on the download page for a few minutes first, as per the instructions (if you are using a Win 64 Bit System).

So, my suggestion would be to put a link to the GOG downloader on your desktop, go to god and click on the download, let it sit for a few minutes. Restart and click on the GOG downloader on your desktop. You should see it show up there. I was having the exact same problem.

It was a pain, but at least it works now.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
fffffff.....

54500 seconds left, maybe...maybe if I'll go for a 3h bikeride the time will go by faster.

Fallout-NL said:
Which one of those 5 gog games is best?

Beyond Divinity
Divine Divinity
Gothic 2
Realms of Arkania 2 or 3

According to metacritic, Divine Divinity. It's a Diablo style action rpg with a more fully developed narrative.

Minsc

Gold Member
Leonsito said:
Problem with the last one is because of the DoF and the focus:

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/ny/how-to/how-to-create-your-own-fauxminiature-landscape-084722

I'm sure it will be modded or patched.

Edit: D'oh, beaten by DaBuddaDa and Dice :D

The screens from that link are pretty unbelievable though, that they're not miniatures.

Fallout-NL said:
Which one of those 5 gog games is best?

Beyond Divinity - Divine Divinity's ugly sister, avoid unless desperate
Divine Divinity - Often described as Diablo + Fallout, mouse driven point and click interface, good game + good music
Gothic 2 - One of the most famous no-hand holding open-world RPGs; hindered by bad UI and poor controls
Realms of Arkania 2 or 3 - supposed to be great old school RPGs, not at all easy to get in to, not for everyone

Thoughts added.

EternalGamer said:
I was having this problem. I had to restart my PC and when I just clicked on the GOG downloader it worked then.

You might need to let it sit on the download page for a few minutes first, as per the instructions (if you are using a Win 64 Bit System).

So, my suggestion would be to put a link to the GOG downloader on your desktop, go to god and click on the download, let it sit for a few minutes. Restart and click on the GOG downloader on your desktop. You should see it show up there. I was having the exact same problem.

It was a pain, but at least it works now.

Thanks, I'll try that.

EternalGamer said:
According to metacritic, Divine Divinity. It's a Diablo style action rpg with a more fully developed narrative.

Minsc said:
The screens from that link are pretty unbelievable though, that they're not miniatures.

Thoughts added.

Thanks for the descriptions! I ended up going with Divine Divinity.

DangerStepp

AllIsOneIsNone said:
Thanks. I think I'll go with the GOG version!

Jhriad

xXJonoXx said:
Does anyone know when the embargo for reviews will be lifted?

Since any embargo on reviews can only really last until the product hits retail there should be plenty of reviews up tomorrow.

DaBuddaDa

xXJonoXx said:
Does anyone know when the embargo for reviews will be lifted?
Twitter makes it sound like very few (if any) western sites got review copies. Plus, this game is biiiiig. Expect reviews to trickle out slowly over the new two weeks, instead of one massive review explosion like what happens with every big name publisher game.

I can't believe I forgot this was coming out tomorrow. Darn finals.

I bought this a few months ago, so I guess I'll start the download when I get home from work.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
DaBuddaDa said:
Twitter makes it sound like very few (if any) western sites got review copies. Plus, this game is biiiiig. Expect reviews to trickle out slowly over the new two weeks, instead of one massive review explosion like what happens with every big name publisher game.

I'm sure Vinny from Giantbomb will finish it...

by the end of the year.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
makingmusic476 said:
I can't believe I forgot this was coming out tomorrow. Darn finals.

I bought this a few months ago, so I guess I'll start the download when I get home from work.
Man, I'm so happy I'm a working stiff and not a college student anymore. School always got in the way of gaming way more than work.

thetrin said:
Man, I'm so happy I'm a working stiff and not a college student anymore. School always got in the way of gaming way more than work.
I'm only on Chapter 1 of the first game due to exams. I've got the 2nd game waiting to be downloaded as well :(

Jhriad

Jay Shadow said:
Game only sold 150k copies in the US, so they're probably in no rush.

Depressing if true. The first title along with the first Dragon Age were the best fantasy RPGs we've seen in a long while.

DaBuddaDa said:
That screenshot looks like a diorama because of the odd DOF blurring which makes it literally look like an off focus picture. If that blurring were gone and you see it in motion instead of in a picture, it would look fine. I don't see anything wrong with the texture work that makes it look bad.

Even putting aside the DoF issue (which isn't really the problem), there's massive inconsistency between character textures and scenery textures. Once again, that bridge looks like it's made from 25 cm long pieces of wood. Wood doesn't look like that. And ground textures don't have the density and detail to match characters.

It's just obvious that sacrifices were made somewhere, and I was pointing out that the effect is sort of akin to what you'd feel like putting MGS4's Snake model on MGS3's backgrounds, even if not as severe.

I'm sure seeing the game in motion will temper most of the issues, but while technically competent, the visual design is in my opinion all over the place. It remains a spectacularly good looking game, when analizing individual aspects.

Bossniak

120110516122543.jpg

Salaadin

Jhriad said:
Depressing if true. The first title along with the first Dragon Age were the best fantasy RPGs we've seen in a long while.

Worldwide, the game sold over a million. It does much better overseas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom