• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lime

I seriously do not understand CDProjekt's reasoning:

1. Pre-order at GOG.com and support CDProjekt to the fullest economically
  2. Pre-load only available on GOG
  3. And yet we end up with retail being available at 00:01 hour at the night between 15th and 16th May for the Collector's Edition; at 00:01 hour on 17th May for the Premium Edition - at 09:01 hour on 17th May for the digital editions

What good does buying digital do? I get my game 9 hours later than people who bought it from retail, while I'm already supporting CDProjekt the most financially *and* it is the only service offering a pre-load. It just doesn't make any sense whatsoever to cripple the digital release.

iNvid02

retail will almost always be available before anything else because its shipped to them a few days before and nobody can make sure they dont sell it early.

pahamrick

Lime said:
What good does buying digital do? I get my game 9 hours later than people who bought it from retail, while I'm already supporting CDProjekt the most financially *and* it is the only service offering a pre-load. It just doesn't make any sense whatsoever to cripple the digital release.

Which is weird considering up until last week they were still saying GoG buyers would be getting it at 10:00pm GMT on the 16tth. Heck, one of the FAQ pages on GoG still said it last I checked a few hours ago.

Minsc

Gold Member
iNvidious01 said:
retail will almost always be available before anything else because its shipped to them a few days before and nobody can make sure they dont sell it early.

Even still, this particular retail release is locked digitally, wouldn't matter if you had it weeks ago. They still picked to have retail unlock first.

I think I read retail has a much bigger PC presence in Poland though, so it makes sense (hence all the retailer specific DLC).

I won't be waiting up at 2am and getting upset it's 10 minutes late and counting, tuesday night for me.

pahamrick said:
Which is weird considering up until last week they were still saying GoG buyers would be getting it at 10:00pm GMT on the 16tth. Heck, one of the FAQ pages on GoG still said it last I checked a few hours ago.

Probably retailers strong-arming them again. Remember, they said only 40% of the pre-orders were digital (that's Steam + GOG + D2D combined, still less than half).

Kyaw

Tomorrow man!!! 8AM for me since we have British Summer Time in effect.

Done my first English exam today. Everything went better than expected. :)

The 2560x1600 screens posted earlier looks so damn good.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I am so glad right now that my sleep schedule is completely fucked up and Ill be getting up around 3am est right in time to finish the GOG dl and start the game.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
If I had the game gifted to me on GOG, can I still get one of the free preorder titles?

pahamrick

MrOogieBoogie said:
If I had the game gifted to me on GOG, can I still get one of the free preorder titles?

Did you get the email that has the cdkey? If you did, check to see if there's an option to claim your free game. If there isn't, I'd have to assume the person who gifted the game got the free game.

MrOogieBoogie said:
I'm going to say it's highly unlikely. Go check your email inbox and see if you maybe got something sent to you. I believe when I purchased it came up with a new page saying that I could choose a free gift.

If you can't, just wait a while because I'm sure they'll all be on sale at some point.

pahamrick said:
Did you get the email that has the cdkey? If you did, check to see if there's an option to claim your free game. If there isn't, I'd have to assume the person who gifted the game got the free game.

I bought the game and recieved the email. Where do I claim my games?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Man, download is available at 8 or 9AM tomorrow. I guess the time it takes for the download to finish is a great oppurtunity to study for the day before I sink my teeth into the game, 8gB's gonna take a good 4 hours at the very least.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
AppleSmack said:
All I got sent was a CD key I don't see any link lol.

It should be directly under the Cd-key. A big yellow button saying "choose your free game".

Capture-1.png

Minsc

Gold Member
AppleSmack said:
Lol, wasn't expecting that. Normal mode here I come =D

He is playing on normal though right? Easy then?

Also difficulty can be switched on the fly, so don't worry too much! :)

Echoplx

Easy_D said:
Man, download is available at 8 or 9AM tomorrow. I guess the time it takes for the download to finish is a great oppurtunity to study for the day before I sink my teeth into the game, 8gB's gonna take a good 4 hours at the very least.

It's 16GB :(

Salaadin

LiK said:
Yea, this. Just a thought.

By that logic, I agree. It is weird. GOG and CDProjekt Red (TW2 devs) are owned by the same parent company though so when you think about that, it makes perfect sense.

dino1980

More info

BULArmy said: Hey Polish people, explain save imports, pretty please.

You simply put your old saves into ...\My Documents\The Witcher\saves and the game let's you choose one of them at the beginning.
I noticed it transfered for me:
- some money (I don't remember how much I had so I don't know if all money is transfered)
- jacket (Raven) - it's better that the default starting one but worse than the DLC code Blue Jacket.
- best steel sword - a bit better that the default starting one
- best silver sword - a bit better that the default starting one
I did not play long enough to see other consequences of the previous game (like attitude of other people towards Geralt).

And carry overs from the previous thread:
Mariusmssj said: so you would advise to stat on normal?

Yes, I suggest you start on Normal and then learn how to fight before progressing to Hard.
Normal gives you a challenge before you know all the tricks.

Dsync said: What card are you using?

I have a low-end system now: GeForce 9600 GT, Athlon 64 X2 6000 , 4 GB RAM
so I run the Witcher on low settings with around 30 FPS. It's sort of a blasphemy but it shows that the game is pretty flexible. I still consider it playable and actually have not decided if I will upgrade soon or in several months time for another playthrough when prices drop even further :) I want to see some other parts of the game first.

Also when rolling dice watch out not to roll outside the board ... that's a bit ridiculous but it's possible to do it and then you are almost guaranteed to loose. I don't know if that's how it was supposed to work.

Link

Easy_D

never left the stone age
3chopl0x said:
It's 16GB :(
the D2D page lists two separate downloads, 8gB for the game and 8gB for the bonus content though :(. With any luck I'll be able to play it by the evening then D:

Edit: YAY :D

LiK

Salaadin said:
By that logic, I agree. It is weird. GOG and CDProjekt Red (TW2 devs) are owned by the same parent company though so when you think about that, it makes perfect sense.
Oh, I see. Now that makes sense.

Enduin said:
It should be directly under the Cd-key. A big yellow button saying "choose your free game".

Capture-1.png

Yeah..LOL not there. I just emailed their customer support. I pre-ordered the game a few days ago as well, just thought I was missing something. They should fix the issue for me.

Darklord

Banned
AppleSmack said:
Yeah..LOL not there. I just emailed their customer support. I pre-ordered the game a few days ago as well, just thought I was missing something. They should fix the issue for me.

You sure it's not your email service blocking the button? That's what gmail did with mine, I selected show all images and it was there.

LiK

I wonder if I should import my save, I sorta fucked up a few secondary quests. Do they matter or do they only carry over decisions from the major decisions only?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
3chopl0x said:
For non GOG buyers it's 16GB, as the extras aren't optional on other services, it's all one big download.
D2D said:
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Digital Premium
Download File Size
Game: 8 GB
Bonus Content: 8 GB
Nope. Clearly separate downloads on this one at least.

Minsc

Gold Member
Shouldn't be much longer now until we see if choosing Shani to watch Alvin is addressed at all, even by a few lines of dialog for those importing.

LiK said:
I wonder if I should import my save, I sorta fucked up a few secondary quests. Do they matter or do they only carry over decisions from the major decisions only?

Just the major alliance decisions, weapons/armor and some money it seems. Possibly choosing Shani might make Triss act a bit colder to you in the game, not sure.

blackmamba707 said:

This is one of those games that sort of show how "maxing" out graphics leads to diminishing returns if not proper backlash.

This screenshot for example:

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/3360/witcher2201105161414018.jpg

The faded out/blurred background looks insanely good. The creature is majestic, and the illusion of life-likeness is perfect. But as soon as you hit the creature's head, if not the characters, everything becomes so sharp and smooth that if feels incredibly artificial. Those models don't look like people, they look like dolls. Like digital actors dropped into a real life picture.

This screen:

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/7209/witcher2201105161414003.jpg

The individual details are near perfect. The skin textures on the creatures, clothing, sharpness, it's all good. The sum of parts is, in my opinion, a trainwreck. It's too goddamn clean, and it looks like all parts where modeled individually, and when put together... it looks like a diorama of a real scene, instead of the scene itself. Those character don't look like they're standing on that wall - they seem shopped in. The individually perfect elements don't mix together at all, and while this is probably valid for 90% of games right now, the "perfection" of the image quality makes the breaking of the suspension of disbelief even more painful, in an "uncanny valley" sort of way.

It's forgivable given CDProject's relative youth, and some things are even cute - like the proportions of the wood textures on the bridge. Maybe the world of the Witcher IS a diorama :p .

Darklord said:
You sure it's not your email service blocking the button? That's what gmail did with mine, I selected show all images and it was there.

this is how it looks like for me. Sorry for the bad picture.

1zpmjk7.jpg

Minsc

Gold Member
Darklord said:
8GB...? That's a total of about 550mb on GOG for me.

The stuff that says 1MB isn't up. So the likely 5GB making of DVD is still not in the total.

But you make me realize the artbook + game guide is! 200 page artbook here i come! <3

Salaadin

Darklord said:
8GB...? That's a total of about 550mb on GOG for me.

The GOG download is just the game at the moment. your total 9 GB download consists of only game content. Tomorrow when the game goes live, we will have separate downloads for all of the extras.

Steam and D2D dont have this option so theyre stuck with the game plus the extras in one giant download.

EDIT: Beaten again by Minsc. Youre a roll today!

DaBuddaDa

VisanidethDM said:
This screen:

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/7209/witcher2201105161414003.jpg

The individual details are near perfect. The skin textures on the creatures, clothing, sharpness, it's all good. The sum of parts is, in my opinion, a trainwreck. It's too goddamn clean, and it looks like all parts where modeled individually, and when put together... it looks like a diorama of a real scene, instead of the scene itself. Those character don't look like they're standing on that wall - they seem shopped in. The individually perfect elements don't mix together at all, and while this is probably valid for 90% of games right now, the "perfection" of the image quality makes the breaking of the suspension of disbelief even more painful, in an "uncanny valley" sort of way.
I'm sorry but this is almost as bad as "too angular." I could not disagree more, that second shot looks magnificent and I'm sure it's even better in motion.

pahamrick

Minsc said:
The stuff that says 1MB isn't up. So the likely 5GB making of DVD is still not in the total.

But you make me realize the artbook + game guide is! 200 page artbook here i come! <3

Unfortunately, still can't download any of it (at least I can't).

Minsc

Gold Member
VisanidethDM said:
This is one of those games that sort of show how "maxing" out graphics leads to diminishing returns if not proper backlash.

Not a bad analysis, but my first thoughts are the camera/people/dragon are all probably moving so fast in those two scenes you'd probably never notice any of that.

pahamrick said:
Unfortunately, still can't download any of it (at least I can't).

Got the artbook! :) Missing a cover though, so they'll probably upload another version soon. In the meantime, that's fine with me.

Edit: Damn, in my excitement, I had The Witcher 1 artbook confused with The Witcher 2 one, since they're both listed in a row on my games list! Oh well, back to waiting.

It all used to be listed as 1MB though, that's what confused me, when they started totaling out some of the items... sorry

Darklord

Banned
Minsc said:

Ooooh.

AppleSmack said:
this is how it looks like for me. Sorry for the bad picture.

1zpmjk7.jpg

What email do you use? Is there a button someone that says "display images" or something like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom