• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
4 loading screens total? That's mad impressive.

thetrin said:
4 loading screens total? That's mad impressive.

Personally, I never minded load screens between areas. Hopefully, implementing only 4 load screens doesn't mean they had to sacrifice significant amount of performance.

Minsc

Gold Member
VisanidethDM said:
I'm sure seeing the game in motion will temper most of the issues, but while technically competent, the visual design is in my opinion all over the place. It remains a spectacularly good looking game, when analizing individual aspects.

My feeling with textures is it matters a lot how long they're on the screen. You're going to notice Geralt's clothing as the screen is centered on him all the time, but that drawbridge may slam down and 1 second later never be seen again, all the while the camera can be turning and moving out. I also think the angel of the camera from the in-game cutscene is not helping matters, and while playing you'll typically be seeing a higher vantage point, the camera is almost ground level in that shot.

I find the variety and detail of texture work from the screens I've seen so far, on a whole, second to none.

AppleSmack said:
Personally, I never minded load screens between areas. Hopefully, implementing only 4 load screens doesn't mean they had to sacrifice significant amount of performance.

Clearly, nothing has been sacrificed compared to TW1's performance anyway. You're going to be in the vast minority there too, most people hated TW1's loading screens every time you went in and out of a building or area. I didn't mind them myself, but there's absolutely no reason to believe anything was sacrificed in removing them.

AppleSmack said:

I seem to remember them improving the load times in the Enhanced Edition. Like, it would only take a few seconds to leave a house instead of 30 lol

How About No said:
I seem to remember them improving the load times in the Enhanced Edition. Like, it would only take a few seconds to leave a house instead of 30 lol

It was also influenced by how many saves you had. I went down from 50 to 3 after I learned it, and the loading times improved a lot.

Sober

Minsc said:
Clearly, nothing has been sacrificed compared to TW1's performance anyway. You're going to be in the vast minority there too, most people hated TW1's loading screens every time you went in and out of a building or area. I didn't mind them myself, but there's absolutely no reason to believe anything was sacrificed in removing them.
We sacrificed the Aurora Engine, if that counts. :p

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
AUGH.

I wish I could preload this. My internet is fucked right now so I have no idea how long it's gonna take to download. Fuck!

Once it's downloaded though, I don't think I'll be leaving the computer any time soon.

I am so fucking excited for this.

dwebo

Castor Krieg said:
It was also influenced by how many saves you had. I went down from 50 to 3 after I learned it, and the loading times improved a lot.
That would've been good to know, a few months ago. If TW2 defaults to quick saving in a new slot every time again, I will rage so hard.

Castor Krieg said:

Oh yeah lol, I didn't know it actually affected load times, just when you have a shitton of saves and it takes a minute for the Load Selection screen to come up. And each save file just got bigger and bigger toward the end for some reason.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
AppleSmack said:
I don't mind loading screens either, but it's still really really impressive. Strangely, though, when there are no loading screen, I don't even notice that it's seamless.

e_i

akskiller said:

Wow, a little more than two novel's worth of dialog (going by 50,000 words = novel).

LiK

thetrin said:
I don't mind loading screens either, but it's still really really impressive. Strangely, though, when there are no loading screen, I don't even notice that it's seamless.
I don't mind either. Ive been playing TW1 on SSD and loading is like nothing huhuhu

Exuro

I would be super excited if it weren't for the lack of preload on non GoG sites. Probably going to get to play the game at 7 at night on Tuesday. Not much for a launch. :(

Cheech

Exuro said:
I would be super excited if it weren't for the lack of preload on non GoG sites. Probably going to get to play the game at 7 at night on Tuesday. Not much for a launch. :(

When do games generally launch on Steam? I'd like to kick it off at 7a tomorrow morning, so it's done by the time I get home from work. If they unlock it at noon or whatever, I'm screwed.

dwebo

Exuro said:
Yeah, I mean, that's what I was expecting originally for steam, but then that PR guy on facebook led me to believe otherwise. And now I am bummed. Fuck that guy!

Exuro

Cheech said:
When do games generally launch on Steam? I'd like to kick it off at 7a tomorrow morning, so it's done by the time I get home from work. If they unlock it at noon or whatever, I'm screwed.
The timer indicates that it'll be noon. With my connection it could take 7 hours if the Steam servers aren't dying.

dwebo said:
Yeah, I mean, that's what I was expecting originally for steam, but then that PR guy on facebook led me to believe otherwise. And now I am bummed. Fuck that guy!
Exactly how I feel.

Xamdou said:
Do we still get tf2 items for preordering the game through steam?
Yes. I don't know why they aren't advertising it on the main page or TW2's store page though.

WEGGLES

Sn4ke_911 said:
Yeah. The Witcher 1 had over 700.
Add a few 0s to that.

Any time you did anything it'd load. Sometimes it would load the loading screen. :lol

With the EE, though, the loads were rather quick.

Zeliard

Also just in case anyone here hasn't pulled the trigger yet, the whole premium digital thing with extra content from GoG's site if you pre-order is available up until 3 AM EST.

Zeliard

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
The loading sounds super impressive and refrshing. Though I loved the concept art and music during Witcher 1 loading screens.

Yeah but Witcher 1 had notoriously lengthy loading times. It's the biggest reason they made that one of their primary design goals for the second.

Salaadin

AllIsOneIsNone said:
So there is one review up on metacritic, GRYOnline.pl...gave it a 95. Haven't heard of them, but that can't be a bad thing, eh?

There was another one as well, also Polish. I think it was a 92.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I've never wanted a game to succeed financially as I want tw2. I haven't played it and yet I want it to win the hearts, and wallets, of the majority.

Zeliard said:
Yeah but Witcher 1 had notoriously lengthy loading times. It's the biggest reason they made that one of their primary design goals for the second.
I'm in complete agreement with you. I'm really glad they wanted to go that route. Considering how amazing the game looks knowing it is based a lot on streaming data is impressive as all hell. I definitely didn't like the loading times in the first game.

While I know that the two games are in different genres/platforms and thus not comparable, it's kind of sad seeing LA Noire media overload today. It's taking a lot of attention away from Witcher 2 which really should be getting more media exposure.

Alastor

AllIsOneIsNone said:
So there is one review up on metacritic, GRYOnline.pl...gave it a 95. Haven't heard of them, but that can't be a bad thing, eh?

One of the biggest Polish gaming sites. They currently have The Witcher layout, tons of articles about the franchise and so on, but it's hard to say that it has anything to do with the score... because the game probably deserves it ;)

FJ0372

Hope its ok to post this here, guys what would you recommend The Witcher 2 or Two worlds 2? Also are they similar, game play wise (I thought they were)? I have played neither of their predecessors and am not really interested in playing them.

Gully State said:
While I know that the two games are in different genres/platforms and thus not comparable, it's kind of sad seeing LA Noire media overload today. It's taking a lot of attention away from Witcher 2 which really should be getting more media exposure.
I agree but Eastern European "low budget " PC exclusive vs big budget Rockstar backed multiplat -- it was bound to happen. : (

Corky

Gully State said:

It's really inevitable, one is a pretty mature rpg whereas the other is a more ( even though I'm still gonna buy the shit out of it ) mainstream "gta-game" ( yeah I know I know ).

Corky

Alastor said:
One of the biggest Polish gaming sites. They currently have The Witcher layout, tons of articles about the franchise and so on, but it's hard to say that it has anything to do with the score... because the game probably deserves it ;)

Frankly, I've given up on even caring the slightest about review scores. Not in the "I'll make my own opinions cuz I'm such a cool cat " but rather that I feel that game reviews merely score the hype rather than the game itself. Which is why no mainline CoD game or Halo game ( regardless of quality ) will ever dip below 80 avg regardless of how much of a regurgitated pos is it. Not saying they are per se.

edit : ops, thought for sure it wouldn't become two posts in a row. Oh well.

Decay24

Neo Member
FJ0372 said:
Hope its ok to post this here, guys what would you recommend The Witcher 2 or Two worlds 2? Also are they similar, game play wise (I thought they were)? I have played neither of their predecessors and am not really interested in playing them.

I wouldn't bother with Two Worlds 2 personally, didn't care for it on Xbox. Go with Witcher 2 if you can run it on PC

Salaadin

One things for certain, tomorrow is a great day for gamers.

Ill be grabbing LA Noire when the first sale hits. I can hardly justify 60 bucks for a game anymore but thats one I REALLY want.

Alastor

Corky said:
I've never wanted a game to succeed financially as I want tw2. I haven't played it and yet I want it to win the hearts, and wallets, of the majority.

CDP Red announced that the game had more than 110 000 pre-orders, 40% of which were digital. They expect to sell the first million faster than with the first Witcher. It'll probably break two million easily :)

Salaadin said:
One things for certain, tomorrow is a great day for gamers.

Ill be grabbing LA Noire when the first sale hits. I can hardly justify 60 bucks for a game anymore but thats one I REALLY want.

Bestbuy and Amazon have some really sweet preorder deals that effectively bring the price down to $35 and $45 respectively (GC of course). I'm in the same boat as you though in that I'll pick up LA Noire down the line for cheap but only b/c once Witcher 2 releases, I won't have time to play anything else.

I purchased the witcher 1 but i never got pass the first town where you kill the dogs, i didn't like the combat and the graphics were pretty horrible. I need to know two things, when does steam version unlock and did the combat get better from click click wait click, I heard it's like batman so it's tolerable. Side note did the UI get better, the way they handled making potions and items made me want to punch the computer.

Also does the game guide have DRM on it? I am planning to move my pc to the tv to play with the controller, controller support is good right...?

Zeliard said:

Almost ruined the game for me...worst loading in recent memory

Exuro

Technosteve said:
I purchased the witcher 1 but i never got pass the first town where you kill the dogs, i didn't like the combat and the graphics were pretty horrible. I need to know two things, when does steam version unlock and did the combat get better from click click wait click, I heard it's like batman so it's tolerable. Side note did the UI get better, the way they handled making potions and items made me want to punch the computer.

Also does the game guide have DRM on it? I am planning to move my pc to the tv to play with the controller, controller support is good right...?
Noon. Everything else is improved that you mention. Watch some videos. Not sure what you mean by the Game Guide having DRM. Pretty sure you can move that stuff around as it's extra content.

Alastor said:
CDP Red announced that the game had more than 110 000 pre-orders, 40% of which were digital. They expect to sell the first million faster than with the first Witcher. It'll probably break two million easily :)

The most interesting part of this data is that it goes to show how digital sales on PC are still not as prevalent as many thing. Sure limited edition goodies have an impact on preorders, but still the retail market has a great importance for PC sales.

Salaadin

Gully State said:
Bestbuy and Amazon have some really sweet preorder deals that effectively bring the price down to $35 and $45 respectively (GC of course). I'm in the same boat as you though in that I'll pick up LA Noire down the line for cheap but only b/c once Witcher 2 releases, I won't have time to play anything else.

Yeah those are good deals. My only problem with them is that they give you credit and when you have credit, you have to use. That means Ill be buying more games with it....games I probably dont need.
I was *this* close to getting Portal 2 at launch as well but held off. I nabbed it 3 weeks later for 35 bucks total on an amazon sale. Its when stuff like that happens that I really question why I buy games at launch anymore.

The Witcher 2 is an exception because its only 45 bucks, it comes with a shitload of extras, and Ill probably replay it 2 or 3 times. Its well worth the 45 dollar launch price.

VisanidethDM said:
The most interesting part of this data is that it goes to show how digital sales on PC are still not as prevalent as many thing. Sure limited edition goodies have an impact on preorders, but still the retail market has a great importance for PC sales.

I wonder about that. Most retail stores where I live cram their PC games onto some ragged, unmarked shelf hidden behind used PS2 games. I thought that digital sales made up a nice chunk of PC sales but that preorder number seems to say something different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom