• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.
Domstercool said:
Lol! I tried to run it on 1920x1200 on the highest settings possible with full everything.... was getting 10-14 fps in opening cutscene :D woops :D

I have a Q9550 @ 3.4Ghz. 4GB DDR and a 4870x2 overclocked >.<

It's because there is no crossfire support yet, so your 4870x2 is just a 4870.
Did those 'full everything' settings include ubersampling? (I sure hope so)

Tokubetsu

SneakyStephan said:

Yea, how'd he do on high? Forget ultra and uber.

Just picked up my premium edition. So good. Installing now, this is probably one occasion when DD and preloading would have come in handy. At the same time I have an art book to look through along with three papercraft figures, never mind the other stuff. I'm a sucker for video game fake currencies, so the temerian coin is pretty nice for me.

I've been reading gameplay impressions and seen a few screens of the game running, but I haven't followed a lot of what's been said about it so I don't know if this is old news to you guys, but opening up the actual game box was awesome -
Along with the manual and maps came an anonymous letter 'sealed' with wax proclaiming King Henselt a hog and deserves what's coming to him (complete with drawing of king piggy) which I guess gives us a good idea about what's going on. Also out fell a second, smaller coin with a different design, so I'm pretty pleased with myself right now.
Not really spoilers, but just in case this isn't well known and people want to surprise themselves.

I heard a couple of people in this thread talking about the witcher mouse, and that that premium orders didn't get it. I did, which I also wasn't expecting - I don't really need a mouse, but it's good to have an extra one I guess. The mousepad I definitely could use. I also got both DLCs - the roche jacket and mysterious merchant, but I have no idea what that does. Sells rare things, maybe?

I think my overall point is really CDProjekt is awesome. So awesome.

matmanx1

Well, I've seen a Collector's Edition at my local Gamestop today and it was a thing of beauty. The bust of Geralt's head is very heavy!

Luckily the DLC is contained on vouchers with a code so you can put those in separately which is what I am planning on doing on my GOG digital version!

Australian success!
photo066178r6.jpg

Hopefully I can play today retail and then transfer the save to the GOG edition.

antonz

ugh I have a regular edition im picking up tommorrow. I want a CE so bad though but dont get the cash til the first week of june. hopefully some CEs still floating around then.

Van Buren

cackhyena said:
This coming to consoles? I'd love that seeing as there's no way I can run this on my rig like it should be ran.

They're interested, but there's nothing concrete made public. For what it's worth, in the GAF thread for Witcher 1, a CDProjekt rep said the same thing, but that didn't work out too well due to outsourcing.

In a recent interview, the Executive Producer said they will wait on the reception of their pc release before deciding. Maybe we'll hear something at E3 ?

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
I have an Amazon gift card, if I buy it from there can I load it into steam no problems? (including having the icon correctly?)

I've got a Macbook Pro that I game on with the help of bootcamp.

It's got:
4GB of Ram
Nvidia 330m GT
2.66GHz Intel Core i7

How well should I be able to run it? Probably low/medium settings?
I can run Crysis at medium settings in 1280 x 800 pretty smoothly.

cackhyena said:
This coming to consoles? I'd love that seeing as there's no way I can run this on my rig like it should be ran.
That logic is messed up.
Any rig that'll run it will still produce better graphics than what you'd get on consoles.
So you'd rather have it look worse, be capped at 30 fps and be forced to play on a low resolution than have to lower some settings in a game menu?
If you didn't actually have a pc capable of running it I would understand.

My Ferrari has a scratch on the fender, I think I'll drive my 1989 polo instead.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Ermac said:
I have an Amazon gift card, if I buy it from there can I load it into steam no problems? (including having the icon correctly?)
Nope, the game isn't steamworks.

Cheech

SneakyStephan said:

So, uh, Crossfire support. I'm new to this, only having bought my second card last week.

Why doesn't this game support it out of the box? Does every game need a driver profile from AMD to support Crossfire?

The only two games I've played on the new setup so far have been Crysis (1!) and Witcher. That probably explains why I had no idea, heh.

Minsc

Gold Member
bounchfx said:
just got my copy on Steam. Super pumped, but no pre loading? ffff :(

It's not really a surprise though, they announced no preloading over a month ago, April 14th actually. I'd much rather have achievements and cloud saves over pre-loading anyway, if I had to choose.

Cheech said:
Why doesn't this game support it out of the box? Does every game need a driver profile from AMD to support Crossfire?

The only two games I've played on the new setup so far have been Crysis (1!) and Witcher. That probably explains why I had no idea, heh.

New engines do, and the RED engine is a new one. Did crossfire even help with the first Witcher? Most of the posts I see with SLI are about it messing up the lighting.

SneakyStephan said:

No crossfire? Why the hell not?! I have two 5870's...

How do you access the pre-order bonus content?

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
ok lets ask,

i5 @ 2.8 Ghz
Nvidia 9600 GT
8 gigs ram

would I be able to run it more than medium?

Minsc

Gold Member
Giriath_89 said:
No crossfire? Why the hell not?! I have two 5870's...

How do you access the pre-order bonus content?

From where? Retail? I imagine it's on a separate disc.

dgenx said:
ok lets ask,

i5 @ 2.8 Ghz
Nvidia 9600 GT
8 gigs ram

would I be able to run it more than medium?

Maybe not even medium, minimum specs are an 8800GT, 9600GT is quite a bit slower. Probably low.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Maybe not even medium, minimum specs are an 8800GT, 9600GT is quite a bit slower.
Depending on how optimized the engine is, there's the possibly of being able to run it on medium due to the quad core there, despite the GPU.

XenoRaven

SneakyStephan said:
I'm guessing this also means no SLI support?

Minsc said:
From where? Retail? I imagine it's on a separate disc.

Yes, retail. I have to enter a code activation tab that is supposed to be in the game launcher.

EDIT: Found it. You had to register the game to access the "downloadable content" tab where the pre-order code prompt was.

cackhyena

SneakyStephan said:
That logic is messed up.
Any rig that'll run it will still produce better graphics than what you'd get on consoles.
So you'd rather have it look worse, be capped at 30 fps and be forced to play on a low resolution than have to lower some settings in a game menu?
If you didn't actually have a pc capable of running it I would understand.

My Ferrari has a scratch on the fender, I think I'll drive my 1989 polo instead.
Um, I mean with my specs, I'd probably have to run it on low settings to be properly playable. So yeah, it would look better on the 360 for me, most likely.

Sanic

I bought The Witcher months ago. Told myself I would finish it before The Witcher 2 came out.

...i'm nowhere close to that goal. Now I have to watch all of you enjoy it without me!

AMD x4 955 BE
4GB RAM DDR3
GTX 460 1GB DDR3 Factory Overclocked

Those are my specs. High is reasonable expectation with good FPS? Whats the likely res I should use. My stable native is a weird res lol. Its 1824x1026. If I do full 1080p then it kinda messes up the scaling on my monitor using HDMI.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
My Collector's Edition just shipped. Man, I am so crazy pumped to start playing. :D

Cheech

Minsc said:
New engines do, and the RED engine is a new one. Did crossfire even help with the first Witcher? Most of the posts I see with SLI are about it messing up the lighting.

Thanks for the response. That's ok, I can wait a couple days to play it I guess. I hope AMD/ATi is fast with this stuff(?).

The framerate wasn't noticeably faster on the Witcher 1 with Crossfire (6870s), but what it helped was the tearing. It was gone after throwing the second card in. So, I'm guessing the framerate WAS better? I didn't look to see what the framerate was before I upgraded.

It helped Crysis tremendously. Literally, a 100% improvement. I am pleased.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Minsc said:
Maybe not even medium, minimum specs are an 8800GT, 9600GT is quite a bit slower. Probably low.

what If I overclock it? does it make any difference?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
So there's really no hope of Steam having the option to accept retail codes? I really want to buy a CE.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Juan29.zapata said:
So there's really no hope of Steam having the option to accept retail codes? I really want to buy a CE.
Probably not, but there's no harm in trying. If you really want the CE, just get the CE, and worst case scenario, the game isn't integrated into Steam.

Minsc

Gold Member
FoxSpirit said:
Okay, guessing time:
C2D@2,7GHz
3GB Ram
HD6850 with 1GB
1680x1050

I hope high will net me playable high settings.

If you didn't have just a dual core CPU, I'd say you'd hit ultra no problems. High seems pretty much a sure thing to me.

dgenx said:
what If I overclock it? does it make any difference?

Actually a 9600GT isn't as slow as I thought, I assumed since the 9800GT = 8800GT, the 9600GT would follow similar logic, but that's not true, it's a ton faster than a 8600GT. It's only a small bit slower than the 8800GT, 10% or so. With a nice quad core, you probably have a decent shot at medium after all, sorry about misleading you.

The person giving impressions earlier was on a laptop version of the 9600 card, which is a lot slower and they were doing 20fps at low, so you should be much better off.

Minsc said:
If you didn't have just a dual core CPU, I'd say you'd hit ultra no problems. High seems pretty much a sure thing to me.
Why wouldn't he be able to play on ultra?
If there really is anything in the game so taxing on the cpu (that you can actually change) then I'm sure there'll be an option to turn it down seperately.

If he is bottlenecked by his cpu then changing texture settings etc won't get him any less fps.

Question about the thread title for people who have played the first game:
my cinematic said "I solve human problems; not always with a sword." If I had made different choices would that line change?

iNvid02

it told me my ideal settings were medium (580 sli/2600k 4.5ghz)
at my res i think i'll manage high-ultra and just turn down shadows, i never see the difference for them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom