• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as beat-'em-ups go, I would put Arkham Asylum right under God Hand. The combat is really amazing once you get into it.

Why do you break my heart like that. I was invisibly brofisting you all the time as a yet-to-be-activated lurker during the Vanquish OT extravaganza.

I guess I get what you mean, and I respect your opinion, but I don't think AA can be labeled a good combat system. A system that needs to build external challenges in order to validate itself is already problematic.

Minsc

Gold Member
Zeliard said:
Ah nice, thought I read you had to beat it on Hard first.

Yea, it was like that at first, now no longer.

My favorite part about insane mode is that if you die, the game removes your progress/saves, and even if you back up your saves, you can't copy them and cheat it, "the game knows" you died, and won't recognize the saves!

Insane mode sounds like a lot of fun for a second playthrough, with the enemies using alternate tactics and stuff.

Cday

Banned
Ordered from GOG and refunded my steam pre-order. Took a few days and I was getting worried that they would wait until tomorrow to respond and go "lol released date no refund". The reply was "As long as you submit the support ticket prior to the release, we will provide a refund on pre-orders." TheMoreYeKnow.gif

I still think it's shitty that GOG made pre-loading exclusive considering Steam servers, but I understand that they want to take shots at a giant competitor like Steam whenever they can. Not that I think GOG is really in direct competition. In theory they aren't as GOG is exclusively focused on older titles that are often neglected by other distributors. Anyway it's ultimately up to Steam to make sure their customers have a good experience and the whole concept of tens of thousands of people simultaneously downloading a 16gb game on servers that have been fully occupied under less in the past makes me think this won't be the case. There's also the specific case where I'm going to be running this on an SSD and downloading a 9~gb file rather than a 16~gb file is ideal. I'll make sure not to pre-order big releases from Steam in the future unless pre-loading is a sure thing.

So, Amazon actually shipped my game in a reasonable time frame. Mortal Kombat Shipment notification didn't come until 1:30am of the release day. They've also missed release date delivery twice on me. But if I get my game by noon tomorrow they are redeemed.

VisanidethDM said:
A system that needs to build external challenges in order to validate itself is already problematic

That would be a criticism of the level/area design not a criticism of the combat system. The combat system simply wasn't fully utilized in the game design.

Cday said:
Ordered from GOG and refunded my steam pre-order. Took a few days and I was getting worried that they would wait until tomorrow to respond and go "lol released date no refund". The reply was "As long as you submit the support ticket prior to the release, we will provide a refund on pre-orders." TheMoreYeKnow.gif

I still think it's shitty that GOG made pre-loading exclusive considering Steam servers, but I understand that they want to take shots at a giant competitor like Steam whenever they can. Not that I think GOG is really in direct competition. In theory they aren't as GOG is exclusively focused on older titles that are often neglected by other distributors. Anyway it's ultimately up to Steam to make sure their customers have a good experience and the whole concept of tens of thousands of people simultaneously downloading a 16gb game on servers that have been fully occupied under less in the past makes me think this won't be the case. There's also the specific case where I'm going to be running this on an SSD and downloading a 9~gb file rather than a 16~gb file is ideal. I'll make sure not to pre-order big releases from Steam in the future unless pre-loading is a sure thing.

I agree completely (right down to the SSD advantage).

I would have preferred Steam having just recently become really accustomed to it, it has replaced Xbox Live for me to a large extinct. I will miss not having the achievements and the convenience of having all my library in one place.

On the other hand, the achievements aren't that big of a deal. And it isn't like I can't link it to my Steam account as a "non-Steam" game.

Tokubetsu

Minsc said:

My favorite part about insane mode is that if you die, the game removes your progress/saves, and even if you back up your saves, you can't copy them and cheat it, "the game knows" you died, and won't recognize the saves!

Insane mode sounds like a lot of fun for a second playthrough, with the enemies using alternate tactics and stuff.

I don't usually go for that sorta difficulty run aside from action games such as Bayonetta and Ninja Gaiden but I'm definitely interested in this. Might even start on hard for my first playthrough!

Used to do Fallout 1 and 2 Ironman runs on a forum I used to go to. We'd tell epic stories of the day our characters died. I'm talking three paragraphs at least =)

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Minsc said:

Spam F5 and pause+alt F4 when shit hits the fan mode!
I'll just stick to normal and hard :D

Sethos said:
Never having played The Witcher, should I prepare myself for EVE Online learning curve?
Hahaha! For real? Learning the ropes in EVE Online wasn't difficult for me at all, but The Witcher is like The Legend of Zelda as far as accessibility is concerned when compared to EVE.

Zeliard

Minsc said:

Yeah, sounds awesome. Any more info on those alternate tactics? Wonder if they took some influence from Ninja Gaiden there.

Sethos

Banned
Hahaha! For real? Learning the ropes in EVE Online wasn't difficult for me at all, but The Witcher is like The Legend of Zelda as far as accessibility is concerned when compared to EVE.

You must be a wonderchild, considering this image has made its round on the internet for years

776743064.jpg

I think most people can get behind that. Doesn't help that fact that EVE is an excel document with 3D graphics but that's a completely different discussion :p

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Zeliard said:
Yeah, sounds awesome. Any more info on those alternate tactics? Wonder if they took some influence from Ninja Gaiden there.

this was in the Eurogamer piece from last December about the mode:

The Witcher 2's insane mode hopes to emulate FromSoftware's rock hard cult hit Demon's Souls - a game Polish developer CD Projekt admires greatly. And expect speed runs to be virtually impossible - monsters will be harder to avoid than they were in the original.

"It won't be easy to not fight the monsters. We fixed that by giving all opponents special abilities which allow them to catch the Witcher," Kanik said.

"Undead can dig into the ground and get up near the player. So when you run he will dig up in front of you and grab you. It will be harder to just run and avoid the fight."

sounds nuts, and it warms my heart to see them reference the game of the gen

zonezeus

Ok, I think 8 hours is enough for today :)

I might be spreading heresy here, but I somehow get that faint Baldur's Gate 2 vibe from Witcher 2. What I mean is that playing Witcher 2 is somewhat similar experience to playing BG2 back in a day - fleshed out world, big ammount of strong quests, combat that requires tactics and preparation. Not saying W2 is anywhere near the complexity and depth of BG2, but I guess it's the closest you can get nowadays.

Zeliard

Snuggler said:
sounds nuts, and it warms my heart to see them reference the game of the gen

Yeah, sounds great, and it doesn't surprise me that the CD Projekt guys love Demon's Souls. Game recognize game.

Kyaw

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Do we know who the hell the composer is? This has got to be one of the best RPG fantasy soundtracks...

Adam Skorupa & Krzysztof Wierzynkiewicz

So is it 8AM GMT for GoG unlock?
Fucking BST making it 9AM for UK'ers..

Sober

Zeliard said:
Yep, and damn you west coasters who get it at midnight instead of 3 AM (or later).
Yeah, it's 3AM for us EST folk. I was gonna maybe take a nap before and wake up around 2AM, but I dunno 3 AM is pretty late even for me. Might just try to get up early in the morning instead.

Well... I'm still concerned about the aussies (like my mate) who are about to go and buy the game in store in an hour and rush home to play and not be able to play because his copy hasn't been activated online yet...

Sethos

Banned
Kyaw said:
Krzysztof Wierzynkiewicz

Snappy

Revolutionary said:
Yep. I'll be playing this at 3pm tomorrow. :(

Oh well, I'll probably have LA Noire in a bit to keep me busy until then.

Wish I could say the same, us Eurotrash get it 3 days later. Well, 2 for me as the 20th is a national holiday here.

Soroc

I'm confused.

I've preordered on GOG and I thought I was going to be able to play today at 6PM EST. I'm still at work though but though when I get home at 9PM tonight I'll be good to go.

So when exactly can I now start playing this game on the east coast?

EDIT: NVM!!! seen the answer above! Gahh looks like I'll be playing tomorrow night then :(

sam27368

Banned
Lord Fruity said:

I might be spreading heresy here, but I somehow get that faint Baldur's Gate 2 vibe from Witcher 2. What I mean is that playing Witcher 2 is somewhat similar experience to playing BG2 back in a day - fleshed out world, big ammount of strong quests, combat that requires tactics and preparation. Not saying W2 is anywhere near the complexity and depth of BG2, but I guess it's the closest you can get nowadays.
Heresy? I hope it is! That would be awesome!

Lord Fruity said:
Quick impressions, Polish CE version:

- game has awesome (AWESOME) atmosphere - thick, brooding, serious. Combination of landscapes, music, VA, background lore etc. is almost perfect. For me this is probably the strongest point of Witcher 2. Plus, being from Eastern Europe I feel at home ;)
- combat system is great, comparisons to Batman: AA are justified. Also, game IS hard - I started playing it on Hard, quickly changed to Medium after getting my ass kicked in the goddamn Prologue (!). I can even see myself changing it to Easy for some boss fights, I'm getting to old for difficult games ;)
- lots of loot, from weapons to armor, and that's only the beginning of the 1st chapter. Also SHITLOAD of alchemic and crafting ingredients, lots or recipes as well.
- in general, game throws a lot on you and expects you to keep up. "Here's a tutorial for you, I thought it might help! What? Too fast? Fuck you!".
- can't say much about graphics, my poor laptop struggles to play it on Low.

Thanks for the impressions. Could you tell me what your specs are?

Lord Fruity said:

Favorably comparing a CRPG to Baldur's Gate 2 is the highest praise you can give in my book. God daaaamn

VisanidethDM said:
Why do you break my heart like that. I was invisibly brofisting you all the time as a yet-to-be-activated lurker during the Vanquish OT extravaganza.

I guess I get what you mean, and I respect your opinion, but I don't think AA can be labeled a good combat system. A system that needs to build external challenges in order to validate itself is already problematic.
Heh! To be fair, there aren't a lot of 3D beat-'em-ups that have well developed combat systems. Combat in Arkham Asylum's campaign no different from the challenge mode. The only difference, I suppose, is the round-based system in the latter. AA's depth becomes noticeable if you look for it, which was obviously something I didn't do while playing the campaign. (Reasonable considering that the beat-'em-up combat isn't a central part of the game.) It reminds me of El Shaddai in the sense that, initially, it comes off as simplistic, with the depth requiring a little more effort than what casual players apply. If we're talking about action games in general, however, I don't think Arkham Asylum even qualifies in that genre, as it isn't an action game. It reminds me of Metroid Prime more than anything else.

zonezeus

nelsonroyale said:
Thanks for the impressions. Could you tell me what your specs are?

Core 2 Duo 2.53, 4 GB RAM, GeForce 9600M GT, no idea about HDD. The game is playable, but ~20 fps with lowest settings is really not the way this game should be played ;)

I think this video sums up my hype levels for this.

Except replace "Halo: Reach" with "The Witcher 2".

And the 360 with a gaming PC.

And the DVD with data packets over Steam.

Zeliard

Are you guys able to snag the free game from GOG? I get this message if I try to download something like the artbook:

Our bonus goody bears are still gathering together all of the bonus goodies that come with your preorder of The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Digital Premium Edition, but you can download the free game right here.

But then I click the "right here" link and it just loops me back to that same message.

Durante

Zeliard said:
Are you guys able to snag the free game from GOG? I get this message if I try to download something like the artbook:

Our bonus goody bears are still gathering together all of the bonus goodies that come with your preorder of The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Digital Premium Edition, but you can download the free game right here.

But then I click the "right here" link and it just loops me back to that same message.
I have the same problem. I guess they'll sort it out soon enough.

(Btw, the gog download easily maxed out my connection. Another one for the list of download services much better at actually letting you download than Steam)

Kyaw said:
Adam Skorupa & Krzysztof Wierzynkiewicz

So is it 8AM GMT for GoG unlock?
Fucking BST making it 9AM for UK'ers..

THANK YOU, I couldn't find any info on it. I guess I didn't look hard enough. God I love it.

I knew a kid in high school named Adam Skorupa. Weird.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Are you guys trying to access the free game through the link at GOG.com? That didn't work for me either, I had to use the link in the purchase confirmation email.

Zeliard

Durante said:
I have the same problem. I guess they'll sort it out soon enough.

Which one are you gonna pick? I'm still deciding. :p

Gothic 2 I already have on Steam and I think I still have my Divine Divinity discs around somewhere, but I'd have to look for them so that's a possibility. Beyond Divinity and the Realms of Arkania games I've never played.

Durante said:
(Btw, the gog download easily maxed out my connection. Another one for the list of download services much better at actually letting you download than Steam)

Ditto, I downloaded the entirety of Witcher 2 through GOG in less than an hour, and I'm on a wireless connect.

RedSwirl

Man. That is some of the most beautiful UI design I've seen all this gen. And the combat really does look like something I'd rather do on a controller.

Lord Fruity said:
Core 2 Duo 2.53, 4 GB RAM, GeForce 9600M GT, no idea about HDD. The game is playable, but ~20 fps with lowest settings is really not the way this game should be played ;)

I hate to take pleasure in your misfortune but that makes me glad, it's kind of nuts that it runs at any playable state with that low specs. Makes me feel alot better about my 7850 Dual Core AMD and my 512mb 4850. I can probably get pretty good rates if I turn everything off! Thanks for the heads up buddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom