• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snapshot King said:
Am I the only one who's not seeing an enormous leap between ultra and low? Sure some effects get axed and the foliage takes a hit, but it still looks great.

There is definately a big leap between ultra and low. That doesn't mean low looks dreadful or anything. Looks like a console game.

Blizzard

Banned
K.Sabot said:
Great, I hear this game runs shit on ATI cards.
So people were saying on the 3dguru forum. It would be entertaining if it were only pirated versions that ran badly.

At any rate, I thought it explicitly recommended a 5850, and some people were claiming that it was an ATI moneyhat game etc.?

tenz0r

Psi said:
Nah it's some kind of 5 machine limit Securom. Only way to get the Steam version is to buy it off of Steam.

Thanks for the information! I really wanted to use this game on Steam, so I will probably just save my credit for something else, and just buy it off Steam.

Blizzard

Banned
Psi said:
Huh could have sworn they said it had a 5 machine limit but you could revoke activations.
Unless you have a link that says otherwise, nope. Supposedly Atari was the one who insisted on commercial DRM anyway.

bengraven

K.Sabot said:
Great, I hear this game runs shit on ATI cards.

i-WxjDs2x-L.jpg

"ATI?!?!?!?! IN THIS DAY AND AGE?"

Wallach

Psi said:
Huh could have sworn they said it had a 5 machine limit but you could revoke activations.

I'm pretty sure there is a 5 machine limit. You can uninstall/reinstall on those machines with license rights as many times as you want.

Psi said:
http://www.shacknews.com/article/68117/witcher-2-uses-securom-wont
This is the first news article I found on the issue.
"CD Projekt noted that the game will allow for "unlimited installations on an unlimited number of computers" and allow "play on up to five computers at once." The game requires an internet connection for the game's initial activation. According to the presentation, this will ensure that The Witcher 2 cannot be played before the game's May 17 release."

bengraven said:
http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/i-WxjDs2x/0/L/i-WxjDs2x-L.jpg

"ATI?!?!?!?! IN THIS DAY AND AGE?"
Nvidia Premium!! /fanboy argument

Seriously though, it's really starting to piss me off that 8/10 new releases run like shit on my card for the first few weeks.
I blame the devs not AMD (unless it takes a driver update).
Don't release your game until it runs well on all popular gpu's , end of discussion.

Next time nvidia releases a card worth buying (price quality wise) I'm getting that, sick of dealing it, and amd have fallen from my grace since the 68xx naming scheme, poor support for their 'backlog' of cards since day one and since they decided it was a good idea to release 300Watt TDP vacuum cleaners.

Psi

Hellsing321 said:
http://www.shacknews.com/article/68117/witcher-2-uses-securom-wont
This is the first news article I found on the issue.
"CD Projekt noted that the game will allow for "unlimited installations on an unlimited number of computers" and allow "play on up to five computers at once." The game requires an internet connection for the game's initial activation. According to the presentation, this will ensure that The Witcher 2 cannot be played before the game's May 17 release."

Ah ok that's what it was. How do they know if more than 5 computers are running it if there's no internet check after the activation though?

Oh well I got the GOG version so I guess I don't really care that much :p

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Snuggler said:
Even though I'm only rocking a GTX460, I'm not too concerned about settings. I always have a pretty solid routine for finding the sweet spot. I'll put it on ultra then knock down the stuff I don't care about like shadows and DoF until I'm getting a smooth 50+ FPS. I'm kinda psyched just to do that.

Fuckin A man, 6 hours. I'm pounding some coffee right now, hopefully I don't crash before then.
2 hours here.

Exuro

Van Buren said:
Wish those shots didn't suck so much. Looks like better textures with Ubersampling on. Would be nice to have larger images for comparison.

Lmao the fps with sampling on.

reptilescorpio said:
No AA in those shots, was fiddling around with the settings and trying out with D3DOverider. Here is a shot while I was watching dudes load up and fire at the castle, so cool.
Shadows still look funky : /

Van Buren said:

A mod should put this in the OP.

Ubersampling looks like Supersampling + better texture filtering to me.

reptilescorpio said:
No AA in those shots, was fiddling around with the settings and trying out with D3DOverider. Here is a shot while I was watching dudes load up and fire at the castle, so cool.
What happened to the pretty pom textures we saw in so many press screenshots?
Everything looks flat here, not pretty at all.

Van Buren

SneakyStephan said:
What happened to the pretty pom textures we saw in so many press screenshots?
Everything looks flat here, not pretty at all.

The ground in that location has always looked a bit off - like as if someone forgot to turn AF on. The indoor shots people are posting seems to exhibit the pom though.

wilflare

feeling rather disappointed. not only do those who purchased from retail get it cheaper (from all the different discount coupons), they get to play the game earlier than those who purchased via Digital Delivery, eg. GOG.com

Snapshot King said:
Am I the only one who's not seeing an enormous leap between ultra and low? Sure some effects get axed and the foliage takes a hit, but it still looks great.
I was thinking the same thing. I'm not really big on lots of filters and effects that some games use, so I'm probably less inclined to see low as bad.

Motion blur... just can't get into it.

wilflare said:
feeling rather disappointed. not only do those who purchased from retail get it cheaper (from all the different discount coupons), they get to play the game earlier than those who purchased via Digital Delivery, eg. GOG.com

Did this honestly surprise you? This happens in every OT the day before release.

digital gog is still the best option for Canadians though since our amazon gives no credit (because they're cunts) and our dollar is on par with US

Van Buren said:

I can't tell whether I think Uber sampling is better in the first comparison.

I know this sucks to be me, but I'm not even sure which one is Uber sampling... I'm fairly certain the first one is - it's smoother and there is overall more detail, but I think I prefer the sharper look of the Ultra settings to be honest.

I'm a bit nervous now as I thought it would at least somewhat be acceptant of crossfire configurations since they Are developing for the PC and focused on that only...

I have two 5850s. Will someone please let me know if I have to disable one ahead of time, or if I run them in crossfire (provided there are no game breaking crashes as a result), will I see any extra frames at all? ughh!

Excited tho!

LOZLINK

wilflare said:
Not australians. EBgames is selling it for 88 AUD. GOG sells it for 42. That's double the fucking price.

Exuro

ColonialRaptor said:
I can't tell whether I think Uber sampling is better in the first comparison.

I know this sucks to be me, but I'm not even sure which one is Uber sampling... I'm fairly certain the first one is - it's smoother and there is overall more detail, but I think I prefer the sharper look of the Ultra settings to be honest.
The image is too small. You can see with ubersampling the textures look like they have more depth, but I'm seriously dumbfounded there aren't any high res images to compare. Having a small low res shot for ultra settings and ubersampling comparisons is really stupid. I remember one site posted some large shots from low to ultra and there was a huge difference in textures and effects. These smaller shots can't show that. Wish I could find what site that was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom