• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeliard

Snuggler said:
Are you guys trying to access the free game through the link at GOG.com? That didn't work for me either, I had to use the link in the purchase confirmation email.

Yep, this works. Now it's just a matter of choosing one.

1stStrike

Banned
Just got notification from amazon that my copy of the witcher 2 has shipped and will be here tomorrow! Unfortunately, I'm working until 6 pm tomorrow and following that up with a 12 hour shift on wednesday.

FML.

Durante

Zeliard said:
Which one are you gonna pick? I'm still deciding. :p

Gothic 2 I already have on Steam and I think I still have my Divine Divinity discs around somewhere, but I'd have to look for them so that's a possibility. Beyond Divinity and the Realms of Arkania games I've never played.
I have very fond memories of the Arkania games (the "Nordlandtrilogie"), but I still have the original German version and wouldn't really want to play a DSA game in English. I may get Divine Divinity for convenience, it's one of my favourite Diablolikes. I also have all the Gothic games on Steam already.
I'd suggest is that you don't get Beyond Divinity, it's really disappointing compared to its predecessor.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
theignoramus said:
on what? Steam?

Gamestop in the US. LA Noire has a midnight launch and people can pick up their TW2 copies then. Kind of wish I did that now but I'm all digital these days.

Snuggler said:
Gamestop in the US. LA Noire has a midnight launch and people can pick up their TW2 copies then. Kind of wish I did that now but I'm all digital these days.
Gamestop still carries PC games???

I'm legitimately shocked. I haven't seen a PC game section in a Gamestop in ages.

Van Buren

Zeliard said:
Which one are you gonna pick? I'm still deciding. :p

Gothic 2 I already have on Steam and I think I still have my Divine Divinity discs around somewhere, but I'd have to look for them so that's a possibility. Beyond Divinity and the Realms of Arkania games I've never played.

The Arkania games are bloody amazing if you know what you're getting into. I mean, which other RPG in decades has the following - a carousing skill, the ability to set up guard shifts while camping, negative attributes like 'superstition' that increases susceptibility to magic, dungeons with puzzles, raising money by dancing and playing music in taverns, and so on.

Out of those 5, the Arkania games are the best, but they require player effort to keep up. It's very easy to get overwhelmed or meet with a dead-end if you end up making bad decisions with your character creation.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Revolutionary said:
Gamestop still carries PC games???

I'm legitimately shocked. I haven't seen a PC game section in a Gamestop in ages.

They probably have like one copy of TW2 buried behind the WOW expansions. You can't pawn PC games so I guess they have no use for them.

Sethos said:
You must be a wonderchild, considering this image has made its round on the internet for years

776743064.jpg

I think most people can get behind that. Doesn't help that fact that EVE is an excel document with 3D graphics but that's a completely different discussion :p

The curve isn't like that anymore, the game has a lot of tutorials now and has seen a lot of patches since then.

You have to do quite a lot of reading though, so maybe it's difficult for a 3rd grader that way!

Also @ people watching the streams of a SP RPG.
What the hell is wrong with you =\ , I'm sure everyone who worked on the story in the game would spit on your neck if they hear that.
Way to spoil the game for yourselves.

Zeliard

Durante said:
I have very fond memories of the Arkania games (the "Nordlandtrilogie"), but I still have the original German version and wouldn't really want to play a DSA game in English. I may get Divine Divinity for convenience, it's one of my favourite Diablolikes. I also have all the Gothic games on Steam already.
I'd suggest is that you don't get Beyond Divinity, it's really disappointing compared to its predecessor.

Van Buren said:
The Arkania games are bloody amazing if you know what you're getting into. I mean, which other RPG in decades has the following - a carousing skill, the ability to set up guard shifts while camping, negative attributes like 'superstition' that increases susceptibility to magic, dungeons with puzzles, raising money by dancing and playing music in taverns, and so on.

Out of those 5, the Arkania games are the best, but they require player effort to keep up. It's very easy to get overwhelmed or meet with a dead-end if you end up making bad decisions with your character creation.

Cool, sounds good. If I go for Arkania is it best to go with the Arkania I + II combo or III?

Should unlock a couple of hours after I get home from work so i'll have to finish TW1 tonight, download while I sleep then start after work tomorrow.

Mrbob

I need my GTX 470 back. I will be with everyone else in spirit as they start The Witcher 2 tomorrow. So excited for this game but video card problems at the worst possible times sucks! Oh well at least I have time to go through the first game again.

Van Buren

Zeliard said:
Cool, sounds good. If I go for Arkania is it best to go with the Arkania I + II combo or III?

Starting with Arkania I means you import your party completely in II. That includes items, levels, and so on, which can make II's combat curve seem a lot more manageable.

On the flip side, Arkania I has an xp penalty every time you save outside a temple. This is to effectively give a sense of danger when adventuring in dungeons, but for some people, this has proven to be too punishing a design decision. Arkania II does away with it.

Either way, I'd recommend taking a look at the manuals that come with the games - even if you are familiar with the D&D system. The games are old-school with minimal hand-holding.

Durante

Zeliard said:
My favourite is part 2, by far. Just be aware of what Van Buren is saying about knowing what you get into: this is a game where your party can get sick if they are not dressed warm enough in winter, and where your boots don't just degrade over time, but do so to a different degree when traveling through woods depending on whether or not you have axes with you.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
I'm on chapter 5 on The Witcher. I'll be able to finish the first one tonight. Just in time for this one.

Yay :D

Edit: a Peek at the options menu perhaps?

Snapshot King said:
Anybody got tips at falling asleep early? I'm thinkin of tryin to get to bed at like...9pm so I can wake up for 3am.

Get a little drunk (just a little), have a joint or two, then ask your girlfriend for a blowjob while you have a glass of warm milk.

Out in 10seconds!

if this was a console release there would be people holding their breath until they pass out

So this will be unlocked in the US (Michigan) EST at 3 AM? Ughh!

I apologize i'm just clarifying we have so many different users from different countries and continents that i'm a bit confused?

Domstercool

Snapshot King said:

I own the retail copy of the game. Saw it was midnight so went into the folder and clicked the launcher.exe, asked for CD key, put it in, started patching and BOOM unlocked :O

Soroc

Domstercool said:
Mine unlocked :O

Any requests? :D

HOW IN THE BURNING DEPTHS OF HELL DID IT UNLOCK FOR YOU!!!

Where are you located?? :p

Domstercool said:
I own the retail copy of the game. Saw it was midnight so went into the folder and clicked the launcher.exe, asked for CD key, put it in, started patching and BOOM unlocked :O

I hate you >.<

LOL enjoy!!!!!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Johnny2Bags said:
So this will be unlocked in the US (Michigan) EST at 3 AM? Ughh!

Sounds like it. :)

I'll be up then, hopefully my insomnia keeps acting up so I can put a few hours in before crashing.

Zeliard

Van Buren said:
Starting with Arkania I means you import your party completely in II. That includes items, levels, and so on, which can make II's combat curve seem a lot more manageable.

On the flip side, Arkania I has an xp penalty every time you save outside a temple. This is to effectively give a sense of danger when adventuring in dungeons, but for some people, this has proven to be too punishing a design decision. Arkania II does away with it.

Either way, I'd recommend taking a look at the manuals that come with the games - even if you are familiar with the D&D system. The games are old-school with minimal hand-holding.

Durante said:
My favourite is part 2, by far. Just be aware of what Van Buren is saying about knowing what you get into: this is a game where your party can get sick if they are not dressed warm enough in winter, and where your boots don't just degrade over time, but do so to a different degree when traveling through woods depending on whether or not you have axes with you.

This just sounds fucking awesome to me. Thanks! Gonna get the 1+2 combo. Yay GOG.

JoeBoy101

Zeliard said:

Beforewarned though, in Arkania, disease is more rampant than on the Oregon Trail. Shit there will make that Dysentery look like Acne.

Lord Fruity said:
Core 2 Duo 2.53, 4 GB RAM, GeForce 9600M GT, no idea about HDD. The game is playable, but ~20 fps with lowest settings is really not the way this game should be played ;)

Thanks man...I remember playing crysis on high custom configs settings on my 1530 XPS with a 8600M 256 mb hahaha.

I am sure with some tweeks you will be able to get your performane up

Got a new laptop coming though with an i7 and 6970m though, so I will be trying it out on Ultra...see how it goes.

Snuggler said:
Sounds like it. :)

I'll be up then, hopefully my insomnia keeps acting up so I can put a few hours in before crashing.

Haha, exactly, Normally I can't stand my insomnia and in this case I'm not so concerned about it cropping up =).

Have fun man, great thread

Zeliard

JoeBoy101 said:
Beforewarned though, in Arkania, disease is more rampant than on the Oregon Trail. Shit there will make that Dysentery look like Acne.

I just started up Arkania I to get a look and it starts off with difficulty settings, novice and advanced. Are you able to change those after starting the game?

Domstercool

Lol! I tried to run it on 1920x1200 on the highest settings possible with full everything.... was getting 10-14 fps in opening cutscene :D woops :D

I have a Q9550 @ 3.4Ghz. 4GB DDR and a 4870x2 overclocked >.<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom