• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minsc

Gold Member
SneakyStephan said:
Why wouldn't he be able to play on ultra?
If there really is anything in the game so taxing on the cpu (that you can actually change) then I'm sure there'll be an option to turn it down seperately.

If he is bottlenecked by his cpu then changing texture settings etc won't get him any less fps.

I've just never seen a benchmark involving ultra and a dual core CPU and the recommended specs do make a point of listing a quad core.

Maxing games (running ultra) requires a certain amount of CPU, you can't just make it up with a better GPU. If running flawlessly on ultra could have been done with a dual core, they'd probably not have listed quad core for recommended specs, I think.

iNvidious01 said:
it told me my ideal settings were medium (580 sli/2600k 4.5ghz)
at my res i think i'll manage high-ultra and just turn down shadows, i never see the difference for them

That's almost insulting, lol. You can probably almost get away with uber, certainly ultra 100%. Guess the auto-detecting isn't too great! Medium, ha! :)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
jim-jam bongs said:
Question about the thread title for people who have played the first game:
my cinematic said "I solve human problems; not always with a sword." If I had made different choices would that line change?

I saw it towards the end of chapter 4. He said "I am a witcher, I neither judge nor punish...I solve human problems".

Mr. Snrub said:
Anyone know the name of that sexy, sexy font?

Which font are you referring to? I have one of the main fonts they use.

Minsc

Gold Member
3chopl0x said:
*Watches as this thread degrades into a 'can i run it?' spamfest*

Well, there's always the option of starting a separate thread for that if people get annoyed. This'll be my last post for the night.

I think it'd be a lot better if we had a benchmarking program or demo. $45 can be a lot for someone who's not sure how'd it run to take a leap of faith on!

Deadly

Any chance we're going to have a program that creates a save file with all the transferable factors from the first game? I haven't finished the first game yet because the combat was getting really tedious.

3chopl0x said:
*Watches as this thread degrades into a 'can i run it?' spamfest*

This

No one (if not very few) can make an accurate judgment on your set up. Just wait a few hours and find out, you already paid for it.

Minsc said:
I've just never seen a benchmark involving ultra and a dual core CPU and the recommended specs do make a point of listing a quad core.

Maxing games (running ultra) requires a certain amount of CPU, you can't just make it up with a better GPU. If running flawlessly on ultra could have been done with a dual core, they'd probably not have listed quad core for recommended specs, I think.
What I'm saying is you can't just group the settings together and call it 'low, medium, high , ultra' (this ain't crysis 2)
There are plenty of settings that take no more or little more cpu cycles on ultra than on low.

If there is a physics and particle effects slider I'm sure he can run everything else on ultra.

zlatko

Banned
OPERATING SYSTEM:
Windows 2.6.1.7600
CPU TYPE:
AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1055T Processor
CPU SPEED (GHZ):
SYSTEM MEMORY (GB):
VIDEO CARD MODEL:
ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series

High settings I'm guessing for me and not ultra, right?

Snuggler said:
I saw it towards the end of chapter 4. He said "I am a witcher, I neither judge nor punish...I solve human problems".

Yeah, I saw it when I was getting Dandelion to sing his song to the Midday Bride to try to convince her that she's dead. The reason I ask is that I assumed that the line became something about him solving all his problems with a sword if you took the "kill all monsters" path with your Abigail, Carmen and Blue-Eyed Lass choices.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Even though I'm only rocking a GTX460, I'm not too concerned about settings. I always have a pretty solid routine for finding the sweet spot. I'll put it on ultra then knock down the stuff I don't care about like shadows and DoF until I'm getting a smooth 50+ FPS. I'm kinda psyched just to do that.

Fuckin A man, 6 hours. I'm pounding some coffee right now, hopefully I don't crash before then.

Snuggler said:

Which font are you referring to? I have one of the main fonts they use.

It's the same line, you each just have part of it:

"I'm a witcher. I neither judge nor punish. I solve human problems ... not always using a sword"
Only if you save Abigail
in Chapter 2

There is no similar line for the opposite decision. Probably because you didn't solve certain human problems.

Edit: Misunderstood your question I guess. But I still answered it, so there!

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Ultra seems really redundant for the performance cost. Kind of like Crysis 2 on extreme.

Yeah seems like no real difference and probably comes with a big performance cost as well. BTW, if you guys right click and open in new tab you get the full image.

J-Rod

I'm starting to think someone fat fingered their e-mail when registering at gog.com and accidentally bought Witcher 2 with my email. It's a stretch, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask if it was a gaffer. I'm sure whoever it was would like their CD key that's sitting in my inbox.

zlatko

Banned
Snuggler said:
Even though I'm only rocking a GTX460, I'm not too concerned about settings. I always have a pretty solid routine for finding the sweet spot. I'll put it on ultra then knock down the stuff I don't care about like shadows and DoF until I'm getting a smooth 50+ FPS. I'm kinda psyched just to do that.

Fuckin A man, 6 hours. I'm pounding some coffee right now, hopefully I don't crash before then.

Cocaine will keep you ready for Geralt. :D

Edit: @J-Rod

It was me... just pass that code over here. Damn these fat fingers of mine.

Wallach

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Ultra seems really redundant for the performance cost. Kind of like Crysis 2 on extreme.

I was thinking the same thing. I'd probably run on High unless I'm still getting 60 FPS on Ultra.

Wallach

I'm jealous, I won't have the cash to grab this until the end of the month.

I want a lot of details about the new combat system!

Ultra seems to have dof and a larger draw distance on the soft shadows.

Medium seems to drop off motion blur.

Low just axes everything, looks like a console game.

@serarthur : the background stuff (better lod draw distance and shadows being rendered from miles away and retaining quality) is the beauty of it though.
I love this kind of scaling, where you can turn those settings to 11 if your hardware allows it and you don't have to care about the lesser return/performance.

That's always what pc graphics have been about.

I'm totally OCD about shadows popping in or rough LOD transitions or texture quality fading too much at a distance.
Totally ruins the immersion for me.

I'll probably be running with every setting on ultra apart from the dof (I like it but it's not worth sacrificing my framerate for on my hardware).
The dof I'm guessing is the biggest offender for performance anyhow, so thank you CDPR for giving us the full range of settings.

Yeah, it looks like high maxes out the character models and textures. Ultra provides extra effects and background stuff.

Wow, low really loses a ton. I am still surprised by how good it looks, but when you see what you are losing ...

Well, high is my goal and I think I should be able to get there on most if not all settings.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
thetrin said:
Probably not, but there's no harm in trying. If you really want the CE, just get the CE, and worst case scenario, the game isn't integrated into Steam.

Damn, I can always double-dip when Steam can get some gift cards.

For organization's sake.

zlatko said:
How many of you are planning to play on a pad? I'm not sure if I want to go at it with mouse/kb or set up my 360 pad.

I'm going to try it. I think there is a toggle, so I'll probably pad for combat and keyboard for travel and exploration around towns and such.

SneakyStephan said:
@serarthur : the background stuff (better lod draw distance and shadows being rendered from miles away and retaining quality) is the beauty of it though.
I love this kind of scaling, where you can turn those settings to 11 if your hardware allows it and you don't have to care about the lesser return/performance.

That's always what pc graphics have been about.

I'm totally OCD about shadows popping in or rough LOD transitions or texture quality fading too much at a distance.
Totally ruins the immersion for me.

I'm honestly not that observant. I like to look at the pretty stuff as I run by. I will play as high as possible. And I'll upgrade my hardware if I can't do any better than medium. But these effects are nice, but not something I'll miss in an actual playthrough.

Wallach

zlatko said:
How many of you are planning to play on a pad? I'm not sure if I want to go at it with mouse/kb or set up my 360 pad.

I'm definitely planning to play this on pad. Typically my input choice is based on the style of combat or perspective. This game seems more suited for pad play to me.

zlatko

Banned
Johnny2Bags said:
I am wondering the same thing?!! Choices Choices.

I think I'll try on 360 pad to be honest. The developers said they fully implemented it here and it wasn't just a tacked on option, so that makes me hopeful that it'll make the combat more intuitive. If that isn't the case I'll just go to mouse/kb.

Did the Witcher 1 have pad support? How did it play compared to the standard kb/mouse?

1stStrike

Banned
I'm really interested in seeing how well combat runs with a mouse/keyboard since I don't have a xbox 360 gamepad nor do I plan on buying one.

zlatko said:

I can't imagine playing the witcher without hotkeys for my signs, so I definately won't be.
Radial menus are slow as hell compared to hotkeys.

SerArthurDayne said:
I'm going to try it. I think there is a toggle, so I'll probably pad for combat and keyboard for travel and exploration around towns and such.

I'm honestly not that observant. I like to look at the pretty stuff as I run by. I will play as high as possible. And I'll upgrade my hardware if I can't do any better than medium. But these effects are nice, but not something I'll miss in an actual playthrough.

I meant it's about having the option.
It makes pc games usually age so much better, you come back to a game or fill in your backlog 3 years later and you get to turn those settings skyhigh to enjoy much nicer graphics than what you'd normally get.
(or you have a monster gpu from day one and get to enjoy them right away).

Can't believe we are finally getting another pc game that actually scales.
Bloody ports.

It's win win for the devs too, as it doesn't cost them anything to allow you to up the quality settings for their shaders.

I think CDPR handled it well, they didn't go overboard on the texture quality so that a good mid range pc can still max it, so they don't piss off the ocd crowd who will cry 'waa not optimised' if they can't max it, but left enough subtle things for ultra for the high end gpus, as well as the uber mode to get some bitchin' IQ if you have the hardware for it later down the line.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'll try both but I'm actually leaning towards pad right now. Since converting to the PC monster race I've become very fond of KB/M controls but if I don't feel hindered by the radial menus I'll probably stick with the pad. It just seems right here. I'll be using my PS3 controller with the emulator, though.

Thankfully it'll be easy to toggle back and forth since you just have to tap the Insert key.

markot

Banned
zlatko said:
I think I'll try on 360 pad to be honest. The developers said they fully implemented it here and it wasn't just a tacked on option, so that makes me hopeful that it'll make the combat more intuitive. If that isn't the case I'll just go to mouse/kb.

Did the Witcher 1 have pad support? How did it play compared to the standard kb/mouse?
No pad support.

It was ok on kbm, but some things were a little off.

Psi

zlatko said:

I'm probably going to stick to a 360 controller for my first run.

I'll be playing with a pad probably. 3rd person action games are better with a pad. Of course it really depends on how well its implemented in the game.

tenz0r

anyone know if the retail copy uses Steamworks so I could activate it through steam? I was going to buy it on steam as a digital download, but have some left over credit at GameStop, and would rather spend my credit so I can get rid of it.

Van Buren

SneakyStephan said:
I can't imagine playing the witcher without hotkeys for my signs, so I definately won't be.
Radial menus are slow as hell compared to hotkeys.

I'd hate to break it to you, but the manual does not explicitly list the signs as being mapped to individual keys. There is a key for opening the radial menu, and there is a key for selecting the next sign(presumably without slowing down the action).

I'm hoping that we can still map those signs somehow, or that CDPR gets a patch out to rectify the issue in case we cannot.

Am I the only one who's not seeing an enormous leap between ultra and low? Sure some effects get axed and the foliage takes a hit, but it still looks great.

Van Buren said:
I'd hate to break it to you, but the manual does not explicitly list the signs as being mapped to individual keys. There is a key for opening the radial menu, and there is a key for selecting the next sign(presumably without slowing down the action).

I'm hoping that we can still map those signs somehow, or that CDPR gets a patch out to rectify the issue in case we cannot.

I doubt they would make such a mistake, and if they did they will patch it as you said, or you'll be able to edit the config.
Worst case scenario we still see a user made mod for it.

Psi

tenz0r said:
anyone know if the retail copy uses Steamworks so I could activate it through steam? I was going to buy it on steam as a digital download, but have some left over credit at GameStop, and would rather spend my credit so I can get rid of it.

No, the retail version uses Securom. You can't activate it on Steam.

Actually I think the Steam version has Securom on it also.

Snuggler said:

Running High on Q6600 with 460GTX and it looks fantastic. Solid framerate too, the production values are great. Ingame shot at the start, not really a spoiler unless you haven't seen any trailers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom