• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
5GB done at a steady 1.5MB/sec

1zczwip.gif

Couple of questions:

Is the GOG version automatically patched up? I know there was supposed to be a day one patch, but I don't remember an updater running before starting.

Is the login option greyed out on thewitcher.com for anyone else?

EatChildren said:
My throbbing penis longs for this game to arrive.

It's a K series, but I've never OC'd an Intel CPU, only AMD and that was a good few years ago. I'm extremely rusty, but I did buy it specifically to OC.

Anybody got some tips and tutorials they can point me in the direction of?

When do you plan on doing it? It's dead easy for a fairly modest over clock...

I've got you on Steam and I'd be happy to help walk you through it.

I've been over clocking mine and all my mates computer for years.

Where u from in aus?

bluedeviltron said:
Couple of questions:

Is the GOG version automatically patched up? I know there was supposed to be a day one patch, but I don't remember an updater running before starting.

Is the login option greyed out on thewitcher.com for anyone else?

Is Auto

sam27368

Banned
Just played the intro sequence and the first combat section. Bloody hell it drops you right in! I was expecting a nice tutorial on how to play the combat, had to switch down to easy.

The screen flashes for like 3 seconds with "yeh do this to block attacks" and by the time I've seen it, it goes away! Playing on a controller.

Game looks super gorgeous though.

But to people waiting to download, READ THE DAMN MANUAL BEFORE YOU PLAY! At least the combat bit.

EvolveTom

elwes said:
I'm getting really annoyed now. I have these fucking potions, yet I cannot seem to use any of them because there is no instruction on how to do it. I've died like three times trying to make my way to the courtyard. I'm at the part where I'm fighting like six guys and I always get down to the last few and end up dying.

HOW DO I USE POTIONS
You have to use potions in meditation, NOT in combat

sam27368 said:
Just played the intro sequence and the first combat section. Bloody hell it drops you right in! I was expecting a nice tutorial on how to play the combat, had to switch down to easy.

The screen flashes for like 3 seconds with "yeh do this to block attacks" and by the time I've seen it, it goes away! Playing on a controller.

Game looks super gorgeous though.

But to people waiting to download, READ THE DAMN MANUAL BEFORE YOU PLAY! At least the combat bit.

Yeah, it's darn hard.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Playing with 360 pad combat feels good except some buttons like block don't always register which sucks. Also it seems the system isn't very tuned to multiple opponents even though it keeps throwing many at you. Your swings only hit one at a time even if they go through many so the rest are free to take swings at you. Perhaps I need the group fighting perk thing like in the first game though, I dunno, I haven't even checked the character sheet yet.

Couple impressions from what I've seen so far:

- the visual flaws I was noticing in stills are much less annoying in motion. It just looks great. I think they sort of went for a Renassaince painting look, with saturated colors and unrealistic lighting and shades, and it works quite well, but it's not really my thing. I'm not absolutely crazy about the art direction of the game, but at least it's unique and it has personality.

- the combat is still a weak point. It's not terrible, but it's streamlined to feel more like a true action RPG, and by that standard, it's very wonky. This is no Zelda, that's for sure. There's a clunkyness in the way characters move and hits connect that somewhat puts me off. More than Arkham Asylum it looks like a sloppier version of the Force Unleashed. It immediately improves when you unlock the ability to lock on target. Let's see how it evolves.

Edit: I forgot. The first village part is just glorious. Vegetation, leaf clutter and bricks never looked so good.
The facial animations and general character animation during cutscene is PS2 era stuff, tho.

Wallach

Alextended said:
Playing with 360 pad combat feels good except some buttons like block don't always register which sucks. Also it seems the system isn't very tuned to multiple opponents even though it keeps throwing many at you. Your swings only hit one at a time even if they go through many so the rest are free to take swings at you. Perhaps I need the group fighting perk thing like in the first game though, I dunno, I haven't even checked the character sheet yet.

Group fighting style was removed.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
ColonialRaptor said:
When do you plan on doing it? It's dead easy for a fairly modest over clock...

I've got you on Steam and I'd be happy to help walk you through it.

I've been over clocking mine and all my mates computer for years.

Where u from in aus?

I'm in Melbourne, but that would be a ton of help. I'll hit you up over Steam sometime and get some tips/guides from your mastery.

EatChildren said:
I'm in Melbourne, but that would be a ton of help. I'll hit you up over Steam sometime and get some tips/guides from your mastery.

Cool - I didn't read your specs b4, what are they (just so I can be prepared?). And stock or after market CPU cooler?

Tokubetsu

ColonialRaptor said:
Flickering when trying to make use of both cores... by default, it runs fine - but use Radeon Pro to enable any other CrossfireX Profile and flickering goes nuts but my frame rate just about doubles... :/

Said fuck it and turned one gpu off. We'll see how 1 4870 works haha

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Quick question to anyone who knows:

I just beat the Witcher 1 (Amazing timing for me) and I don't exactly get a save at the end of the credits. Will my save still work? Not sure how it works.

Solo said:
What does GAF suggest: keyboard + mouse or 360 pad?

I can't imagine moving through the inventory and UI to be exactly super simple in comparison to a K+M on the pad. I'd try the pad and see how it feels, but I'm not a fan of the idea.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
ColonialRaptor said:
Cool - I didn't read your specs b4, what are they (just so I can be prepared?). And stock or after market CPU cooler?

i5 2500K @ 3.3GHz. Hyper 212 Plus after market cooler.
4GB DDR3 (gonna hit up another 4GB when I get around to it, just because)
Asus P8P67 MBO
GTX 570 (slightly stock OC'd from memory)

As with my previous build, this was built specifically so I could OC the CPU. I built it only a month or so ago, I just haven't gotten around to an OC.

zlatko

Banned
*Start download few hours ago... going 2mb/sec yes!*
* Look back an hour later... dropped to 1.5MB/sec... shitty... still good*
* Look now it's going 500kb/sec.....fuck my life*

What can I do to get it back up to cruising? :(

Zeliard

EatChildren said:
i5 2500K @ 3.3GHz. Hyper 212 Plus after market cooler.
4GB DDR3 (gonna hit up another 4GB when I get around to it, just because)
Asus P8P67 MBO
GTX 570 (slightly stock OC'd from memory)

As with my previous build, this was built specifically so I could OC the CPU. I built it only a month or so ago, I just haven't gotten around to an OC.

With that cooler you can hit at least 4.6ghz, no sweat. I say that because I have it and that's where I'm at. :p I was sitting at 4.8 for a while with good voltages but I didn't ultimately want nor particularly need that to be my 24/7 clock.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
zlatko said:

All you can do is hope that it gets better ;)

Weenerz

Banned
Had issues starting up the download from local servers, as well as ones in Europe, changed it to a west coast based server and bam, 2.5mb/s download.

EatChildren

Zeliard said:
With that cooler you can hit at least 4.6ghz, no sweat. I say that because I have it and that's where I'm at. :p I was sitting at 4.8 for a while with good voltages but I didn't ultimately want nor particularly need that to be my 24/7 clock.

What's your idle and load temps? Both for that and stock, if you can remember. I'm a bit worried I botched applying the thermal paste, so I'll be watching the heat increase from OC'ing carefully.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Stahsky said:
Quick question to anyone who knows:

I just beat the Witcher 1 (Amazing timing for me) and I don't exactly get a save at the end of the credits. Will my save still work? Not sure how it works.

Anyone got an answer to this before i sleep? :D

Manager

zlatko said:

61393_700b.jpg

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
sigh well what did I even expect?

I run the launcher and they ask for my key, I enter the key and the launcher goes " checking for available updates " for like 0.5 seconds before shutting down and then nothing..

Any ideas or should I just start punching holes in my monitor?

Zeliard

EatChildren said:
What's your idle and load temps? Both for that and stock, if you can remember. I'm a bit worried I botched applying the thermal paste, so I'll be watching the heat increase from OC'ing carefully.

Idle I sit around 30 at most. Load it rarely ever goes above 60.

I'm offsetting voltage and using speedstep so core voltage is also kept very low when the processor isn't under load.

As far as stock I don't really know since I pretty much overclocked it instantly. :p

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
LOL i just saw Gamestar gave The Witcher 2 the same rating as DA2. Shame on you Gamestar, i thought you were better than this.

Zeliard

VisanidethDM said:
- the combat is still a weak point. It's not terrible, but it's streamlined to feel more like a true action RPG, and by that standard, it's very wonky. This is no Zelda, that's for sure. There's a clunkyness in the way characters move and hits connect that somewhat puts me off. More than Arkham Asylum it looks like a sloppier version of the Force Unleashed. It immediately improves when you unlock the ability to lock on target. Let's see how it evolves.

The hit detection can be a bit wonky fighting groups if you don't lock on. I also think you're able to use those abilities before the tutorial prompt pops up.

I don't feel the combat is "streamlined" at all, though. Seems quite a bit deeper than the first game's combat, especially given the fact that you can't just spam potions in combat anymore. I find I have to be much more mindful of my surroundings, choose Signs more tactfully and the combat in general has a nicer flow to it even if we're not quite talking Bayonetta. :>

I am playing on Hard, however. Dunno what it's like on lower difficulties.

BeeDog

Just wondering, is it worth scavenging items during th prologue (e.g. while running around the city)? I haven't found a house with good loot yet, and I wanna know if I lose that shit anyway after the prologue.

zlatko

Banned
ExMachina said:
Steam > Settings > Downloads + Cloud

YMMV, but doesn't hurt to try.

Can I swap the region on the fly while it's downloading or do I run the risk of the download fucking up somehow?

Djin1979

You keep all your inventory from the prologue in the first act. Since plants have no weight i suggest you get as many as possible.

This is looking better and better. The area just after the town in the prologue
the monastery
looks outrageously gorgeous.

This... it's, it's wizardry.

Tokubetsu

Okay to any of you running crossfire, disable one of your GPUs. Definitely got a performance increase. Guess we're stuck waiting on a new driver and CF profile.

Salaadin

Disabled Vsync, All of the DoF, Motion Blur, SSAO, and ubersampling. Everything else is set whatever "Ultra" set me to. Im getting 45-60 FPS around the town and the first few fights. Ill need to get into some real action heavy shit with a lot of effects to really see how well it runs but Im pleased so far.

i5 750
ATI HD 5850
8GBs RAM

Game is pretty solid so far. The difficulty really has me thinking before I attack. If you spam attacks, you wont win.

Benson

Corky said:
sigh well what did I even expect?

I run the launcher and they ask for my key, I enter the key and the launcher goes " checking for available updates " for like 0.5 seconds before shutting down and then nothing..

Any ideas or should I just start punching holes in my monitor?

I've got this exact same problem? Anyone else?

EDIT: Scratch that, after about the 5th time of running it and re-entering my key it has started to download an update. Might just be a server issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom