• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

iSimon

To put things in to perspective...

120110516122543.jpg

Cheech

Coldsnap said:
Does this game have a window mode? With metro 2033 I have to turn off my computer monitor and set my tv monitor as main to play the damn game.

Unless it's an older game, you typically don't want to do this anyway. You will get massive tearing even with vsync turned on, and drop frames like crazy. Depends on the GPU, though. My 6870 hates doing this. Maybe nVidia GPUs run better with multiple desktops?

Varna

Hell yeah. I'm glad the steam download is up. Now I can come back from work and play this!

EDIT: Any major performance issues found now that a decent number of people are playing? Running on an i5-760 @ 3.8 and a 580 GTX SC. Don't plan on using the uber sampling.

I think I've had enough for tonight. This game is unreal.

I can tell I made a critical decision and I can foresee major implications in the future.

One gripe, the animations that play to show you the consequences of your actions look a little silly and somewhat out of place. Much preferred them in the first game where they resembled paintings.

Tokubetsu

Median said:
How's it running with a single 4870? I'm debating pulling the trigger on an upgrade for this game alone.

Really well actually. High at 1920x1080. I have motion blur off though (it was bit weird for me).

Coldsnap

Cheech said:
Unless it's an older game, you typically don't want to do this anyway. You will get massive tearing even with vsync turned on, and drop frames like crazy. Depends on the GPU, though. My 6870 hates doing this. Maybe nVidia GPUs run better with multiple desktops?

You mean playing in windowed mode? I mean selecting it in windowed mode dragging it to another screen than maximizing.

Gah, this combat system is going to take a while to get used to. I keep hitting the "back" key expecting Geralt to step backwards, but instead he turns and leaves his back wide open to attack. That's been the cause of most of my deaths so far. Also, he doesn't always block when I tell him to. Oh well, I'll get used to it.

Other than that, loving the game so far. Can't wait to get the prologue done though, so that I can do my own thing for a while. Getting pissed off with the fucking king bossing me about like a servant :lol

DangerStepp

Median said:
How's it running with a single 4870? I'm debating pulling the trigger on an upgrade for this game alone.
Newegg was having a heck of a deal on select Radeons the other day, plus a $20 rebate and a free copy of Shogun; Amazon is doing the same. I jumped on the 6870; upgrading from a GeForce 9800 GTX+.

epmode

Zaptruder said:
Nope. Doesn't help.
Try lowering the Windows resolution even further before launching the game. I can't get the game in fullscreen when running Windows at my highest two resolutions but everything below that works fine.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Blarg, I forgot AA doesn't work in windowed mode for some reason. Fullscreen 1080 it is... though it's running pretty fast and the motion blur takes any shutter out of quick turns. Might turn down texture memory to see if it lets things stream better. I have 1GB but I feel like that might be considered "Medium" in this game.

I don't have any Witcher 1 save but I take it this game defaults to Triss/Neutral path from the first? That's what I would have taken anyway.

Van Buren

I was skeptical of the game's combat till release, but so far, it perfectly captures the feeling of "How the fuck am I going to survive these three enemies at once ?"

Can't wait to dive back in and see how the consequences play out. Btw, did anyone notice an Assassin's Creed reference in the Prologue, or am I misinterpreting it ?

Median

DangerStepp said:
Newegg was having a heck of a deal on select Radeons the other day, plus a $20 rebate and a free copy of Shogun; Amazon is doing the same. I jumped on the 6870; upgrading from a GeForce 9800 GTX+.

Thank you for making the upgrade itch worse :(

zlatko

Banned
Where is my activation code if I got it from Steam? I wanted to register the game here on install, but I don't have an email containing it ?

DaBuddaDa

DangerStepp said:
I got a 6870 two months ago for $205 with free shipping and a $30 mail in rebate from XFX which I have already received and cashed. 6870 for $175, awesome, awesome deal!

DangerStepp

Median said:
Thank you for making the upgrade itch worse :(
Sorry :( ... I thought I was helping. I just wanna help a brother in arms.

DaBuddaDa said:
I got a 6870 two months ago for $205 with free shipping and a $30 mail in rebate from XFX which I have already received and cashed. 6870 for $175, awesome, awesome deal!
Spectacular! Are you happy with your purchase? I can't wait until I get it installed!

cackhyena

Ugh, I would need a total upgrade to play this anywhere near how it should be. Waiting for console announcement. Unless someone just wants to drop about a grand in my lap.

zlatko

Banned
zlatko said:
Where is my activation code if I got it from Steam? I wanted to register the game here on install, but I don't have an email containing it ?

Anyone? I'm literally ready to play the game, but I need this code to register it first before I can start. :/

Median

DangerStepp said:
Sorry :( ... I thought I was helping. I just wanna help a brother in arms.

Spectacular! Are you happy with your purchase? I can't wait until I get it installed!

Haha it's cool. The upgrade is going to happen at some point, either now or when Battlefield 3 comes out.

Salaadin

Minor prologue spoilers:

That area where Foltest and crew are still banging away at the gate while youre stuck fighting those 6 enemies was a little rough. 3 of them go down easy but then theres that massive armored guy with the long sword, that other slightly less armored guy with a long sword, and then the buttfuck with the shield. I had to use every sign and block and dodge so much. It reminded me of Demons Souls with the way I was carefully planning my strikes. I loved it.

Thats where I left off before work. I wish I was unemployed.
Not really.

cackhyena

DaBuddaDa said:
Got $600?
Nah, I mean I do, but if I'm doing this, I gotta do it up right. My rig is pretty old now, so I have planned on the overhaul for a while now. I was never the type to do just enough for one game or anything. Core 2 duo, 4870, 3gb memory. It's time soon enough.

RedSwirl said:
Praise Jesus. Get this info in the OP? What exact values did you use?

Doesn't really explain how to invert though....

Plus, I'm almost getting used to the Non Invert now.

I absolutely LOVE the sword play and I'm finding that I'm really good at it. I was dying HEAPS at the start but (that bit you just described Sal, I did in the first try without too much effort what dif r u playing on?) since I realised that alchemy is SERIOSLY IMPORTANT I started to own. Well, you can't just buff yourself and instant win, but with a mixture of alchemy, magic and good sword play you can do well easily enough.

DAMN i just love this game, it's so tactical, it's a nice challenge - it makes you think when you have to fight, the fighting is actually FUN so it's not a grind every time you have to fight an enemy but rather you look forward to fighting them rather than hate it (when RPG get that right, then they've done a good job of the whole thing).

I am going to love every damn second of this game (just like I knew I would) but the jump improvement from first to second game by these guys is simply staggering.

I really can't put it into words how impressed I am with this game.

That's enough talk - back to playing for another 40 minutes before bed <3 <3 <3 <3

These tags contain spoilers relating to the trailers released before the game and content of the prologue right to the end (I'm up to the very start of Chapter 1.
I found it a bit disappointing that they showed the head of a king in the trailers of the game just before release because it really gave away to me that King Folteist was going to die at the end of the Prologe, I don't know if that was widely known or not but I only really found out because of the trailer. Sets a good scene for the rest of the game.

In terms of the choice I made, I convinced the guy to lay down his sword and survive but in the end he committed suicide and blew up the dungeon causing a big racket as I was escaping which was a HUGE consequence that I couldn't see coming. I love that the choice I made had that kind of consequence it makes you realise that whatever you think you're making happen really you have no idea what is REALLY going to end up happening when you save someone's life. I'd love to hear what happens from someone who killed him when they escaped from the dungeon (and how they escaped considering that he showed me the way out on my run)

epmode

zlatko said:
Anyone? I'm literally ready to play the game, but I need this code to register it first before I can start. :/
Try right-clicking the game in your Steam list and look for a CD key.
Geoff9920 said:
How are the pad controls? I've been curious as to how it compares to the standard keyboard & mouse.
I really like what I tried before leaving for work. I might even stick with it over KB/mouse

bigace33

Man, this game does not hold your hand at all. I've died like 5 times in the opening combat scene. It also seems like I should have played the witcher 1 as I feel like I'm missing some key points in the story. The hell if I'm going to go back and invest 50 hours into though. Guess I'll just have to enjoy learning the combat system and hopefully they will fill in the missing story details I need. Gorgeous game though, and works very well with the 360 pad.

Ok, my GOG download is complete. But I click install and nothing happens. I restarted and it doesnt' help. Same problem. Any suggestions?

Edit: Nevermind, I just went into the folder and clicked the install.exe file. That worked if anyone else has this problem.

Sethos

Banned
Can anyone recommend me a European Steam server that doesn't report busy? Those American servers were WAY too slow. Tried the UK ones with no luck, Sweden, Norway etc. now I'll try a few German

Soroc

Tried doing a search but didn't get any relevant results.

Anyone know where to get the Polish Voice Track for the game?

Tried looking on the official site but don't see anything.

Thanks!

EternalGamer said:
Ok, my GOG download is complete. But I click install and nothing happens. I restarted and it doesnt' help. Same problem. Any suggestions?

Same happened to me. It opened VLC when I did it. Just go into the GOG download directory where it saved the files and run the setup file from in there. Should be good to go then :)

Sir Garbageman said:
This thread is making the wait here at work absolutely miserable. Can't wait to get home and then have to wait 3 hours for the install...ugh.

Poor dude... I feel your pain, I went through a similar thing earlier.

Rest assured that when you get home you will be enjoying yourself a lot!

JohngPR

ColonialRaptor said:
Doesn't really explain how to invert though....

Plus, I'm almost getting used to the Non Invert now.

I absolutely LOVE the sword play and I'm finding that I'm really good at it. I was dying HEAPS at the start but (that bit you just described Sal, I did in the first try without too much effort what dif r u playing on?) since I realised that alchemy is SERIOSLY IMPORTANT I started to own. Well, you can't just buff yourself and instant win, but with a mixture of alchemy, magic and good sword play you can do well easily enough.

DAMN i just love this game, it's so tactical, it's a nice challenge - it makes you think when you have to fight, the fighting is actually FUN so it's not a grind every time you have to fight an enemy but rather you look forward to fighting them rather than hate it (when RPG get that right, then they've done a good job of the whole thing).

I am going to love every damn second of this game (just like I knew I would) but the jump improvement from first to second game by these guys is simply staggering.

I really can't put it into words how impressed I am with this game.

That's enough talk - back to playing for another 40 minutes before bed <3 <3 <3 <3

These tags contain spoilers relating to the trailers released before the game and content of the prologue right to the end (I'm up to the very start of Chapter 1.
I found it a bit disappointing that they showed the head of a king in the trailers of the game just before release because it really gave away to me that King Folteist was going to die at the end of the Prologe, I don't know if that was widely known or not but I only really found out because of the trailer. Sets a good scene for the rest of the game

Prologue spoilers

In the trailer's defense, that wasn't King Foltest's head they showed. The scene in question was 4 months prior to his death. That big mysterious dude had just killed a king from another land and said he'd do the same with Foltest if the scoia'tael helped him out.

Steam buyers, have you been able to confirm the presence of SteamWorks (achievements, cloud saves, etc) in the installed game? The Steam page still doesn't show those features...

thanks!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Okay, so apparently AA isn't working for me at all. Any mode, any settings, it is either never on or it is the worst AA in any game I have played because I don't notice any difference. Bummerrr.

Also, the thing to register an account or log in doesn't work. I type and nothing types.

Geoff9920

epmode said:
Try right-clicking the game in your Steam list and look for a CD key.I really like what I tried before leaving for work. I might even stick with it over KB/mouse
Good to hear. Any idea if the game will dynamically switch controls depending on what you're currently using?

BeeDog

Speculator said:
Having a blast with the intro level, did anyone else catch the Assassins Creed homage in one the tutorial levels?

Haha, yeah, made me chuckle. When I saw it I said "Altaïr?!".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom