• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Median

Tokubetsu said:
Okay to any of you running crossfire, disable one of your GPUs. Definitely got a performance increase. Guess we're stuck waiting on a new driver and CF profile.

How's it running with a single 4870? I'm debating pulling the trigger on an upgrade for this game alone.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Benson said:
I've got this exact same problem? Anyone else?

EDIT: Scratch that, after about the 5th time of running it and re-entering my key it has started to download an update. Might just be a server issue.

Same here wierd

Zeliard

Sn4ke_911 said:
Dude, you're looking in the wrong direction.

mosZK.jpg

Seriously though the level of detail in this game is just exquisite. Just look at something otherwise inconspicuous like the Witcher symbol piece on the hilt of Geralt's sword. If you can avert your eyes long enough.

Anyway, break over, time to jump back in!

BeeDog

Can anyone redeem their preorder codes yet? I'm putting in my code, but the Redeem button doesn't seem to react at all. What gives?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Sounds like this game has drifted a bit towards Demon's Souls as far as combat and difficulty.

For those who don't have a game 1 save, does the game offer you some ME2esque questions to set the story?

Benson

Corky said:
I'm getting fucking furious right now.

Did you order off D2D?

I've got the boxed DVD version. It's working now though, I kept trying and eventually it started to download an update. I guess the patch servers are being hammered and it's not giving a fail message. I know it sucks but I can only recommend retrying.

epmode

BeeDog said:
Can anyone redeem their preorder codes yet? I'm putting in my code, but the Redeem button doesn't seem to react at all. What gives?
I think the code is just for registering the game, right?

matmanx1

You can't put your DLC in without registering. No Polish voice pack, no Commando Jacket, no Mysterious Merchant, etc. It's a problem for sure.

matmanx1

Just to reiterate I don't want to start the game without the Polish VA so not being able to register is effectively keeping me from playing. Definitely not how I wanted to start my day off from work. =( Hopefully they will get it sorted out soon.

epmode

matmanx1 said:
Just to reiterate I don't want to start the game without the Polish VA so not being able to register is effectively keeping me from playing. Definitely not how I wanted to start my day off from work. =( Hopefully they will get it sorted out soon.
I registered my copy just fine and downloaded that one quest. The Polish audio pack is still not available, by the way.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Okay so I'm wondering, when you turn off the "Cinematic" DoF, does it still keep a regular DoF just for the far background?

epmode

Dice said:
Okay so I'm wondering, when you turn off the "Cinematic" DoF, does it still keep a regular DoF just for the far background?
I believe that they allow you to enable DOF for cutscenes and gameplay separately. Cinematic = cutscene

I wish more companies added that distinction!
Melhisedek said:
What is SSAO? Should I keep it on?
SSAO is a lighting effect that tends to darken corners. I'm sure it's a lot more complicated than that but that's the most obvious effect. I disable it since it's one of the more expensive options for relatively little benefit.

matmanx1

epmode said:
I registered my copy just fine and downloaded that one quest. The Polish audio pack is still not available, by the way.

No Polish VA yet? That's not what I wanted to hear. Wasn't that supposed to be day 1 DLC or did I misread that?

Yeah I'm not sure what's up with the registration if it is on my end or something with their server but when I hit "send" on my Product Key it just says "connection error, try again later".

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Melhisedek said:

Screen space ambient occlusions. Significantly improves lighting on objects. If you can use it, keep it on.

Fredescu

Not being able to change key bindings in game is a little annoying. Especially when you're used to using the key bindings window to figure out how to play the game.

anyone think the game is really really hard? I died tons of times in this game. it's not too bad when fighting just a few enemies at a time, but when fighting 3-5 enemies at once, enemies with shields so you have to attack them from the back while all the other enemy try to hit you, it got bad really fast. furthermore, any attack that hit you cancel your attack animation, if I don't play it very carefully, 3 guys will attack consecutively and my hp decrease like half at once.

I hate it that you can't block freely, it use away your magic point or something. so far, I have to run away then land a couple quick hit, then run away again. it didn't feel cool to be a witcher. I really wish the three stances from Witcher 1 is back, I like that it feels more direct action, but my fighting option seems very limited now. mainly run, aard and quick hit before I run away again.

Zeliard

Callibretto said:
anyone think the game is really really hard? I died tons of times in this game. it's not too bad when fighting just a few enemies at a time, but when fighting 3-5 enemies at once, enemies with shields so you have to attack them from the back while all the other enemy try to hit you, it got bad really fast. furthermore, any attack that hit you cancel your attack animation, if I don't play it very carefully, 3 guys will attack consecutively and my hp decrease like half at once.

I hate it that you can't block freely, it use away your magic point or something. so far, I have to run away then land a couple quick hit, then run away again. it didn't feel cool to be a witcher. I really wish the three stances from Witcher 1 is back, I like that it feels more direct action, but my fighting option seems very limited now. mainly run, aard and quick hit before I run away again.

Are you sure you're rolling? I've found that and careful use of Signs to be more effective than ever blocking, personally. There's an upgrade in the talent tree that makes it so parrying blocks every attack around you, which potentially makes it much more useful.

EvolveTom

matmanx1 said:
No Polish VA yet? That's not what I wanted to hear. Wasn't that supposed to be day 1 DLC or did I misread that?

Yeah I'm not sure what's up with the registration if it is on my end or something with their server but when I hit "send" on my Product Key it just says "connection error, try again later".
The server's getting hammered and seems to occasionally be dropping. I'm told it should work if you try a few times. If not, as noted above, email support!

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
HeadlessRoland said:
Im trying to speed up my download speed via focused meditation. It does not appear to be working.

You need to run in circles around your computer screaming "HA HA UH UH GO GO"

Dice

Melhisedek said:
This is what you usually get from it in most games.

BGAKd.jpg

Pretty subtle, just adding a bit of depth, not worth the performance cost in a lot of games. However, some developers use it extremely well to add a ton of depth to a scene. I don't know how it is in this game but I know that scenes indoors and by moonlight benefit most greatly from it.

In Red Faction: Guerrilla for example, it made a massive difference for the effectiveness of the lighting to really feel like you were on a dusty planet in space. I ultimately sacrificed resolution, dropping to 720p so that I could keep it on with full AA and everything at 60fps.

epmode

matmanx1 said:
I know they said that it would be available for registered users but I don't know if they ever said how long it would take.

Wallach

BarrenMind said:
Can't take it. I'm a little bit into Act 3 of the first game but my willpower is nothing. Playing this tonight.

I feel like you'd regret this if you wind up liking the series. I would just buckle down and bust through the first game so you can move into TW2 with your personal save file.

Sethos

Banned
Dice said:
This is what you usually get from it in most games.

http://i.imgur.com/BGAKd.jpg[

Pretty subtle, just adding a bit of depth, not worth the performance cost in a lot of games. However, some developers use it extremely well to add a ton of depth to a game. I don't know how it is in this game but I know that scenes indoors and by moonlight benefit most greatly from it.

In Red Faction: Guerrilla for example, it made a massive difference for the effectiveness of the lighting to really feel like you were on a dusty planet in space. I ultimately sacrificed resolution, dropping to 720p so that I could keep it on with full AA and everything at 60fps.

You sure that's the best example picture you can find ... ?

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Wallach said:
I feel like you'd regret this if you wind up liking the series. I would just buckle down and bust through the first game so you can move into TW2 with your personal save file.

Agreed with my pal here. I just finished the game last night and it had a pretty powerful end chapter. I think it's fully worth waiting a few extra days for it. It will make it all the sweeter once you finally jump in with your own save as Wallach said.

Wallach

Stahsky said:
Agreed with my pal here. I just finished the game last night and it had a pretty powerful end chapter. I think it's fully worth waiting a few extra days for it. It will make it all the sweeter once you finally jump in with your own save as Wallach said.

Also consider any really serious issues with TW2 are likely to see a patch in the first few days. All the better that you have a chance to avoid those and start TW2 without ever seeing them.

Totally missed that this has save imports. That's a horse of a different color. Guess I'll be a bit behind the curve in my first playthrough, but at least by days this time instead of years.

Stahsky

Sethos said:

I'm not too experienced with SSAO, but google had this to say about SSAO comparisons.

http://i.imgur.com/YMJGc.jpg

BarrenMind said:
Totally missed that this has save imports. That's a horse of a different color. Guess I'll be a bit behind the curve in my first playthrough, but at least by days this time instead of years.

It took me about 5-6 hours per chapter, but I was busting balls to finish it over the weekend. Don't worry, you won't be that far behind.

Zaptruder

Banned
Corky said:
Same here wierd

The launcher disappears for me too...

but I mucked around with the full screen option (disabled it) and it works like that for some reason. Only prob is I get a bit of my windows screen at the bottom. Annoying, but I'll live with it until it's fixed.

It better be fixed!

Dice

Sethos said:
From a quick google search I saw examples from CG renders or just screens from games without the comparison of it off. The only other example I found was one in Crysis Warhead but because it doesn't have it as an individual setting, there is also an improvement in lighting, HDR and shadows, making it look far more drastic than it is. The effect is best seen in motion and in scenes with dampened/indirect lighting.

Nezabyte

Neo Member
Played about 6 hours so far on medium difficulty. All I can say is...WOW. It's even better than I expected, despite having high hopes in the first place. The graphics are absolutely beautiful, and the gameplay and depth is great so far.

Dealing with multiple opponents sucked at first (and still kinda does), but it's really fun, and I'm starting to get the hang of things.

epmode

Zaptruder said:
The launcher disappears for me too...

but I mucked around with the full screen option (disabled it) and it works like that for some reason. Only prob is I get a bit of my windows screen at the bottom. Annoying, but I'll live with it until it's fixed.

It better be fixed!
Lower your Windows resolution before launching the game in fullscreen. We really should use that other thread for this stuff.

Hixx

AppleSmack said:
LMAO, you can even argue that with SSAO off it looks better.

Everything looks flat in the first pic when you compare them. It's not a massive difference but it's one of those things where you will notice a difference without it on... you're just not sure what that difference is, ha.

zlatko

Banned
Wish I had changed my download option earlier when I saw it on here. I was going 500kb/sec, and every 30 mins I'd only get 5 mins closer to the estimated time to finish.

Switched from Denver to Minneapolis and I'm back up to 1.3mb/sec, which is a big improvement from the measly 500kb/sec.

Zeliard said:
Are you sure you're rolling? I've found that and careful use of Signs to be more effective than ever blocking, personally. There's an upgrade in the talent tree that makes it so parrying blocks every attack around you, which potentially makes it much more useful.

I use roll, but you can still get damaged when you're rolling right? often times when I'm attacking 1 enemy, the rest of enemies circle me so I got attack from all sides. also, did people use lockon? how to cycle opponent quickly?

Sethos

Banned
Problem with those comparisons are the lacking depth of the objects. SSAO only starts to shine when you have truly high-polygon models with a lot of details where light and shadows can be calculated. Flat objects or simple models won't benefit that much from SSAO. So trying to show SSAO in games built for consoles with really low-poly models and old games also with low poly models won't really do it much justice.

The wiki shows the concept better, where every shadow is basically SSAO depth rendered, that shows so much more in-game.

Screen_space_ambient_occlusion.jpg

So Witcher 2 might benefit a lot from it, because of its high-qual nature.

Stahsky

zlatko said:
Wish I had changed my download option earlier when I saw it on here. I was going 500kb/sec, and every 30 mins I'd only get 5 mins closer to the estimated time to finish.

Switched from Denver to Minneapolis and I'm back up to 1.3mb/sec, which is a big improvement from the measly 500kb/sec.

I turned mine on around 6 am central in the dallas server (i live in austin) and i've been getting around 1.8-2mb with the occasional dip, so if anyone wants to try that server, see how it is

Zeliard said:
I am a hero to you all, fellow inverted warriors. This works.

I GOTS MY INVERT. Time to get lost in this.

What's the file path of your user.ini file? Mine doesn't have the majority of those options, and worse, when I change something, it doesn't seem to affect the game.

Coldsnap

Does this game have a window mode? With metro 2033 I have to turn off my computer monitor and set my tv monitor as main to play the damn game.

Just letting those with the same issue know: I had some weird annoying artifacts appearing (like I was madly ocing my card), especially during cut-scenes.

Uninstalling Nvidia 3D eliminated it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom