• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I also can't find any CD key. I guess we'll just be unregistered for a while?

Edit: Nevermind, apparently it automatically enters your key in the Steam version, however to get to that point I have to figure out how to make the launcher actually type in text so I can create an account and log in.

Combat is really good, it certainly is similar to Demon's Souls (difficulty too!), a bit less responsive though, which is reasonable for a game of this scale imo.

Salaadin

ColonialRaptor said:
I absolutely LOVE the sword play and I'm finding that I'm really good at it. I was dying HEAPS at the start but (that bit you just described Sal, I did in the first try without too much effort what dif r u playing on?) since I realised that alchemy is SERIOSLY IMPORTANT I started to own. Well, you can't just buff yourself and instant win, but with a mixture of alchemy, magic and good sword play you can do well easily enough.

DAMN i just love this game, it's so tactical, it's a nice challenge - it makes you think when you have to fight, the fighting is actually FUN so it's not a grind every time you have to fight an enemy but rather you look forward to fighting them rather than hate it (when RPG get that right, then they've done a good job of the whole thing).

Im on Normal. That fight I described wasnt an issue once I started utilizing ALL of my abilites. Swordplay alone didnt work in that situation but careful timing of strikes, blocks, and dodges made it feel doable. Once I started mixing signs to stun enemies while I worked on others, it all felt so nice. Thats why I compared it to Demons Souls...I played that part in a very similar way to how I played Demons Souls....carefully and tactically. When that last enemy fell, I felt sooo good.

I initially wanted to play the game in a brawler type fashion. Combo until enemies die and mix signs throughout but the game quickly told me by way of Game Over screens that I needed to change it up.

JWong

Banned
So I went to find out where one of the saves in Snuggler's OP came from. Found it from a gamefaqs poster.

Sparda X said:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EKDCZW6Q

Major Choices:
Prologue:
Saved the laboratory.
Chapter 1:
Saved Abigail.
Chapter 2:
Successfully completed the Coleman investigation, sided with the Order in the swamp.
Chapter 3:
Romanced Triss and decided to give Alvin to her, saved Thaler, cured Vincent, helped the Order in the bank robbery.
Chapter 4:
Came to a peaceful resolution between the Vodyanoi and the Lakeside Village, spared Berengar, acquired the Aerondight, went the neutral path at the end of the chapter.
Chapter 5:
Cured Adda, completed Raven's armour.
Epilogue:
Didn't allow the King of the Wild Hunt to take Jacques, thus fighting and defeating him.

I also completed every quest (including all the trophy and board ones, even the fist fighting one and the dentist one), always going for the most peaceful resolution and acquired all the sex cards you can get going the neutral path.

The save is right after getting
the Witcher secrets off of Jacques body
, which is the closest thing you can get to a final save as the only thing left to do is talk to Dandelion, which then ends the game.
He didn't go neutral for one event... which kind of sucks, but I can live with it.

EvolveTom

Dice said:
Okay, so apparently AA isn't working for me at all. Any mode, any settings, it is either never on or it is the worst AA in any game I have played because I don't notice any difference. Bummerrr.

Also, the thing to register an account or log in doesn't work. I type and nothing types.
Probably due to your DPI settings on your desktop. Check:
http://en.thewitcher.com/support/faq/#t19 (and the one under it)

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Playing on hard and it isn't that bad as long as you don't get ganged in a corner. I really enjoy the combat. It is a less polished Batman:AA, but still very satisfying and infinitely better than TW1.

Oh my god, just got the game in the post.

All I can say is: you peeps who chose to get it digitally seriously missed out, because this is awesome, it was only £22, and I seem to have gotten it just as fast!

Tokubetsu

Fights monsters now is a bit rough. They're harder to read that humans and all these quests have you clearing nests. Fuck ='( This shit is HARD.

Mr. Hyde

JWong said:
So I went to find out where one of the saves in Snuggler's OP came from. Found it from a gamefaqs poster.

He didn't go neutral for one event... which kind of sucks, but I can live with it.

Have you figured how to load saves? I lost my final save ages ago, so I downloaded that save and put it in my documents/the witcher/saves but it's not loading when I try to do it.

Am I seeing this right in the other thread?
Mouse smoothing enabled by default and no menu option (ini option atleast) to turn it off?

What the hell CDPR.

I discovered that Yrden (the trap) sign can be abused/is very useful. If you stand behind it someone will walk into it pretty much every time giving you about 10s to wail on them.

Great that we have access to all the signs rather than getting them Metroid'd away.

matmanx1

Well my activation finally went through and I was able to put in my DLC codes for the Commando Jacket and the Mysterious Merchant so I'm mostly happy. If I had Polish VA available right now I would be absolutely ecstatic but as it is I've decided to go ahead and start the game in English. I'm nearing the end of the Prologue (I think) and have just about adapted to the combat. It is difficult in the sense that timing, blocking, rolling and positioning are all important as well as mixing in signs and potions. I've seen the game over screen twice so far and learned the hard way to hit F5 quite often!

The game is incredibly gorgeous to look at and the armor, weapons and clothing all look better than I've ever seen in any other game. The animations don't quite live up to that high standard, especially outside of combat (in combat they look great, however) but that's a small nitpick and not likely to ruin anyone's experience. So far, I am very impressed!

zlatko

Banned
I wasn't 100% sure, but did we Steam buyers get any DLC codes of any sort?

I managed to find how to register the game... just a matter of backing out and relaunching it once I made a witcher account, and then Steam auto put in the register code for me, but when it comes to the extra DLC thing/mission/quest I am at a loss on how to find the key for it.

Started the game off on ultra without messing with anything. Played for like 5 minutes after the intro cut scenes, and immediately got rid of the motion blur... WTF were they thinking with that? It doesn't look clean or smooth... just made me want to throw up.

I put the shadows on high from ultra as well for some extra frames per second. What are people suggesting people who set it on ultra take off or tone down a little bit?

Game looks great, but the lip syncing is absolutely atrocious, and the facial animation just isn't there. Eyes often look doll like. :/

coopolon

How is downloading from GOG working? I'm seriously considering making this the first full price game I buy this year but probably won't if it'll take forever to download since it's kind of an impulse buy right now.

Ok, my first impressions. After a long install, the game configured itself to high, and I'm running it around 25-30 fps. I've completed the Prologue and I explored a bit of the Chapter One. The graphics, art and presentation is pretty good, some minor graphical issues but overall good (and leagues ahead of the original or even current games, I won't say names lol). The interface of the inventory is much better, and the combat is awesome. I'm playing in Hard, and until I got a idea on how you have to fight I died a lot (around 5 times the very first combat). The game is kind of "realistic", at least in hard, if you attack without care and more if you're surrounded it's 100% death. It remembers me of Demon Soul's, it's the kind of gameplay that if you make a mistake you're are punished, but it's very satisfying when you defeats you're enemies. But anyway I think I'm going to die a lot in this game lol.
About the story, MAJOR SPOILER OF PROLOGUE
OH MY GOD FOLTEST.. I unexpected it

Speculator

BioWare Austin
GOG was incredibly fast yesterday (1.5mb/s on my 15mbs Cable connection), but I'm having issues trying to download the rest of my preload on another computer this morning.

*Scratch that, its working now 2mb/s

Surfacing to say this game so far is living up to every expectation.

Although WORD OF WARNING, difficulty is waaaaaaay waaaaaaay harder than the first game even on normal.

Salaadin

Speculator said:
GOG was incredibly fast yesterday (1.5mb/s on my 15mbs Cable connection), but I'm having issues trying to download the rest of my preload on another computer this morning.

What kind of issues? Make sure the GOG downloader is set to download into the same directory as the files you already downloaded or else it wont detect the whole thing.

After that, it should only take a minute or two to grab the rest. Then it has to combine and verify the files which takes several minutes more.

Echoplx

3chopl0x said:
WTF is 'the witcher 2 succubus.ncf'?

Anyone in the US want to check for this file in the steamapps folder? I'm thinking it may have something to do with AU censorship on the succubus quest.

Speculator

BioWare Austin
Salaadin said:
What kind of issues? Make sure the GOG downloader is set to download into the same directory as the files you already downloaded or else it wont detect the whole thing.

After that, it should only take a minute or two to grab the rest. Then it has to combine and verify the files which takes several minutes more.
Ah, it was just some server connection issue that went aware after a restart B).

Carm

Playing on high settings, with textures,LOD one notch above, haven't dropped below 30 yet. I've been playing on hard difficulty, the only deaths I've had is because of the stupid
dragon
in the mid prologue, bombs are your friend when surrounded.

They need to patch in some gamepad support, it's kinda broken. I've already had my 360 face buttons just not work at all, trying to navigate the attributes section of the ui is broken. You can pick between character abilities,knowledge and abilities. Using the 360 pad, it's almost impossilbe to select the one you want, m+kb is fine.

I really wish there was a vendor around this early in the game though. I'm a pack rat so I've already become encumbered a few times, so I had to drop some shit, which made me sad lol.

Vasilisk said:
Ok, my first impressions. After a long install, the game configured itself to high, and I'm running it around 25-30 fps. I've completed the Prologue and I explored a bit of the Chapter One. The graphics, art and presentation is pretty good, some minor graphical issues but overall good (and leagues ahead of the original or even current games, I won't say names lol). The interface of the inventory is much better, and the combat is awesome. I'm playing in Hard, and until I got a idea on how you have to fight I died a lot (around 5 times the very first combat). The game is kind of "realistic", at least in hard, if you attack without care and more if you're surrounded it's 100% death. It remembers me of Demon Soul's, it's the kind of gameplay that if you make a mistake you're are punished, but it's very satisfying when you defeats you're enemies. But anyway I think I'm going to die a lot in this game lol.
About the story, MAJOR SPOILER OF PROLOGUE
OH MY GOD FOLTEST.. I unexpected it

I wish you can strafe and walk backwards when you lockon to enemy, nothing major, it just looks less cool running with my back facing my enemies.

that spoilered scene is so well done. love it.

Carm said:
Playing on high settings, with textures,LOD one notch above, haven't dropped below 30 yet. I've been playing on hard difficulty, the only deaths I've had is because of the stupid
dragon
in the mid prologue, bombs are your friend when surrounded.

They need to patch in some gamepad support, it's kinda broken. I've already had my 360 face buttons just not work at all, trying to navigate the attributes section of the ui is broken. You can pick between character abilities,knowledge and abilities. Using the 360 pad, it's almost impossilbe to select the one you want, m+kb is fine.

I really wish there was a vendor around this early in the game though. I'm a pack rat so I've already become encumbered a few times, so I had to drop some shit, which made me sad lol.

in the option, change the input from keyboard to gamepad. if it's still on keyboard, your 360 gamepad will not work properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom