• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sethos

Banned
For fuck sake, I've been spamming the install of the game on Steam for an hour now, constant busy message. When I finally get through I'll have a 2-3 hour download as well ... Won't be playing it today apparently =/

Hulud

This runs WAY better than I thought it would on my OC'd GTX 460 1gb! I'm getting 50-60 fps in the city and 40-60 fps in the outdoors part with the trebuchets. Ultra settings, SSAO and Ubersampling turned off. 1440x900 res. Really, really impressed with how well optimized this game is. Here's hoping Nvidia includes optimizations of their own in the next driver update.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Getting 2 megs down on Steam; going to get a quick workout in and hopefully should be playing shortly thereafter.

The trailer that showed the living world wasn't lying...

That first town TRULY feels alive. I've never experience a game world like this before.

This game is leagues in front of anything else that I've played before.

I really don't think I expected to like it this much, I'm going to have trouble picking this or LA Noire when that comes now and I seriously expected to be be straight onto LA Noire when that came.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
This definitely feels like a much higher leap in terms of quality and cinematic flavor. Very good and the story is already getting very engaging.

LiquidMetal14 said:
This definitely feels like a much higher leap in terms of quality and cinematic flavor. Very good and the story is already getting very engaging.

To me, it just really feels like I'm living this story and part of this world, when the characters talk they really feel like real people standing around talking and having a conversation which is different to the first game which felt like two stilted characters stuck in a box standing still and facing each other and moving their mouths a little bit while voices were playing as they talked.

It's a huge difference.

longdi

Banned
the animations still sucks and breaks the visual experience. other than this, a great leap over the first game in pulling me in.

Facism

SneakyStephan said:
Am I seeing this right in the other thread?
Mouse smoothing enabled by default and no menu option (ini option atleast) to turn it off?

What the hell CDPR.

god that explains why the mouse feels so fucking shitty in this.

longdi said:
the animations still sucks and breaks the visual experience. other than this, a great leap over the first game in pulling me in.

WOT

If you're talking about the mouths when they talk, then maybe - but that's it, everything else is top notch!

Salaadin

Facism said:
god that explains why the mouse feels so fucking shitty in this.
I was wondering that too. Theres no way to turn it off? Damn.

EDIT: Saw this:

If you dont want it or like it open Documents\Witcher 2\Config\User.ini

Go to [MouseInput] section and set
MouseSmoothness=0
Smoothness=0

That's all.

Can anyone confirm?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Fuck this fucking fuck shit.

Sethos said:
Witcher2.png

Rinse and repeat for about 3 hours.

longdi

Banned
ColonialRaptor said:
WOT

If you're talking about the mouths when they talk, then maybe - but that's it, everything else is top notch!

everything, not just the mouth, graphics of 2011 but animations of 2006 (the cutscenes are ok 2010'ish but still spotty).

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Pretty sure the game isn't up on EU servers yet, so you need to use a US one to download.

Sethos

Banned
Ikuu said:
Pretty sure the game isn't up on EU servers yet, so you need to use a US one to download.

Downloading a 16GB game off a US server ... I want to play the game this week. It's so pathetic, we're already past the actual release date, let alone the slow ass Steam mid-day release and it hasn't been seeded to European Steam servers?

Minsc

Gold Member
longdi said:
everything, not just the mouth, graphics of 2011 but animations of 2006 (the cutscenes are ok 2010'ish but still spotty).

As long as the story is great, I'm happy with that.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Pankaks said:
Try US-Pittsburgh, it worked for me.

Ikuu said:

Awesome! It worked. Thanks a lot guys.

... 640 KB/s

:/

Echoplx

Sethos said:
Downloading a 16GB game off a US server ... I want to play the game this week. It's so pathetic, we're already past the actual release date, let alone the slow ass Steam mid-day release and it hasn't been seeded to European Steam servers?

CDPR gave the game files to Steam hours before release so they didn't have time to get the files on all their content servers.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
It's sounding better and better that I ordered a disc copy of the game.

The game is...brilliant. For the first time since Red Dead Redemption (and before that, GTAIV), I'm completely floored.

A note about the cinematics: BioWare had better step up its game with Mass Effect 3, because as of now The Witcher 2 has them beat on facial animation, blocking and cutscene direction.

Sethos

Banned
I don't think I'm meant to play this game yet.

European Steam servers not seeded, so won't see it today.

It doesn't support Crossfire.

It doesn't support my 16:10 monitor unless I want stretch or black bars.

... Dammit.

so now we have to wait someone who wake up, brush his teeth and then finally back to work to put The Witcher2 on UE servers :)

mine downloading at 250kb/s from a far server located in L.A. (and that remind me i still waiting another game too... tuesdayshit, where's my L.A.Noire?).

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So why was this 16GB if the extra content is nowhere to be found? So weird...

arotator

Neo Member
Going to take around 7 hours to download :(

I knew this was going to be an issue, the first Witcher is the largest game in my Steam library at 8 some gigs. This thing came in at a whopping 16!

Currently getting around 600kb/sec.

Oh well, come 5 pm, right around the time when the wife gets home, I'll be ready to utterly neglect her. Things will go swimmingly.

Minsc

Gold Member
Sethos said:
1) European Steam servers not seeded, so won't see it today.

2) It doesn't support Crossfire.

3) It doesn't support my 16:10 monitor unless I want stretch or black bars.

... Dammit.

1) Yea, it sucks the way CDP handled the pre-loading, but a couple days later it will just be a bitter memory and nothing more.

2) AMD's fault, though maybe partly nVidia (conspiracy theory) and CDP as well.

3) I do believe you can pick 16:10 resolutions just fine, you just get black bars, imo this is not a big deal, you won't even notice them after a few minutes.

Sethos

Banned
Well, a little tip for anyone who wants to download off European servers but can't be arsed waiting for them to respond. Switch to a US server ( LA ), start the download, switch back to your regular server and you'll see it says "Download paused" - Mine keeps trying to download something every few minutes and then goes to "Paused" again. So at some point when it gets a hold of the files, it'll start downloading without you having to keep trying.

Minsc said:
1) Yea, it sucks the way CDP handled the pre-loading, but a couple days later it will just be a bitter memory and nothing more.

2) AMD's fault, though maybe partly nVidia (conspiracy theory) and CDP as well.

3) I do believe you can pick 16:10 resolutions just fine, you just get black bars, imo this is not a big deal, you won't even notice them after a few minutes.

1) Still not acceptable, far from.

2) Developers can reach out to these companies in advance requesting profiles for their games in time for release.

3) I loathe black bars like the plague.

Carm

Callibretto said:
in the option, change the input from keyboard to gamepad. if it's still on keyboard, your 360 gamepad will not work properly.

First thing I changed when I first launched the game, so that's not it. Controller works fine in any other game I use it for.

syoaran

What the hell is this. Steam in Europe still not working for this game. Isn't this because steam is not working, or because cdprojek still have not seeded the game to valve?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Anyone else with a 5850 have AA working? Try flipping it on and off and see if you notice a change, because I don't. If I'm the only one with the issue, it might be related to whatever is preventing RadeonPro from launching for me. Otherwise, I claim nVidia conspiracy.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Lol, I just remembered that Fable III came out today. I'm happy to see The Witcher 2 claiming the number 1 spot on Steam's top seller list, and Fable III not even on there.

There is justice in this world.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm only at 26%.

I'm sad about that, but I was planning to wait till nightfall to start the game. Then I will not leave this place for anything. If there's a fire, so be it. I'd be happy to die playing The Witcher 2.

Salaadin

Dice said:
Anyone else with a 5850 have AA working? Try flipping it on and off and see if you notice a change, because I don't. If I'm the only one with the issue, it might be related to whatever is preventing RadeonPro from launching for me. Otherwise, I claim nVidia conspiracy.
I thought I saw a difference when I turned it on. I'll check tonight if someone else doesn't help you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom