• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkkn

This game... It's something else.. Was already blown away by prologue, can't wait to play more.
Only complaint is that parrying is not always responsive(playing with xbox controller). It's infuriating when you try to block and character doesn't respond in any way sometimes :/
Game is also hard as balls for todays standards, tho i really enjoy the challenge and there is always fallback to easy difficulty if normal gets too hairy.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
How long until the Steam version is fixed since every time I try to install, it keeps saying the servers are busy?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
95% done.

I really hope my computer can run this...

Darkkn said:
Only complaint is that parrying is not always responsive(playing with xbox controller). It's infuriating when you try to block and character doesn't respond in any way sometimes :/

This is a big problem. Happens with keyboard controls, too.

Darkkn said:
This game... It's something else.. Was already blown away by prologue, can't wait to play more.
Game is also hard as balls for todays standards, tho i really enjoy the challenge and there is always fallback to easy difficulty if normal gets too hairy.

Blocking is tied to your energy bar (same on governing your use of magic). If you spam it too much, you character won't have enough energy to cast magic or block.

Gully State said:
Blocking is tied to your energy bar (same on governing your use of magic). If you spam it too much, you character won't have enough energy to cast magic or block.
Oh, awesome. Is that explained at all in game?

Shahadan

How About No said:
Finally Steam downloadan'

Gave me a scare first, Steam servers were to busy to process my request lol

I kept trying for almost 4-5 hours now and the only server I found that was not saturated was Washington. I even tried Hungary or Czech and such :lol
(I'm in France)
Donwloaded 65% from the US servers at 1Mb/s but it sank to 380 kb/s an hour ago -_-

I can't believe this game causes so much trouble.

bluedeviltron said:
Oh, awesome. Is that explained at all in game?

I remember it being stated in a developer walkthrough. I don't know if it's explicitly said in game. TBH, the game kind of just throws you in without really any tutorial.

Tain

Do I need to play through the original to play this? I kinda want to hop right in, and I'm not one to care too much about plot.

Ferrio

Banned
I decided to flash my bios the night before this came out...BAD idea.

The good news and $550 later, I now have a I5 sandybridge cpu, new mobo and memory coming to replace my core 2 duo. Along with my 5850, I'll smoke this game.

iNvid02

to the guy who kept getting the server busy message of steam, try the toronto server in canada, im in the UK and getting 3.5mb/s. its not using my full connection but its good enough.

bengraven

Ha, game chose Ultra spec for me. You hear that Minsc, who said it would have to be medium!? YOU HEAR THAT?

;) Just kidding I'm probably still going to get a shitty framerate.

Minsc

Gold Member
bengraven said:
Ha, game chose Ultra spec for me. You hear that Minsc, who said it would have to be medium!? YOU HEAR THAT?

;) Just kidding I'm probably still going to get a shitty framerate.

Just be sure to leave ubersampling on to truly appreciate your rig :p

epmode

Tain said:
Do I need to play through the original to play this? I kinda want to hop right in, and I'm not one to care too much about plot.
Story confusion can probably be cleared up by the journal provided it's as good as the journal from the last game.

bengraven

Minsc said:
Just be sure to leave ubersampling on to truly appreciate your rig :p

Ho ho ho, the opening cut scene with Geralt running, then the dungeon sequence were running between 10-15 fps. :p

So yeah, time to turn down things.

Uber got shot fucking down right away. LOL

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
So ubersampling is virtually "just" supersampling right? Or do they add other things?

bengraven

Corky said:
So ubersampling is virtually "just" supersampling right? Or do they add other things?

"The whole scene is rendered multiple times to give best possible texture and object details and antialiasing (better than antialias and anisotropy even on highest settings)." The developer says this is intended only for those with both the best possible CPU and GPU available now (X4 980 / i7 980X and 6990 / 590).

Basically it's like "God forbid people who spent $900 on their video card not get the best performance".

I want a new card. :(

Finished downloading, but GOG is not letting me start up the installer....Ugh! :-(

Guess, I'll try a reboot and hope for the best, I am quite ready to play this game and not deal with this BS!

EvolveTom

Gully State said:
I remember it being stated in a developer walkthrough. I don't know if it's explicitly said in game. TBH, the game kind of just throws you in without really any tutorial.
Probably is mentioned somewhere -- read the Journal; it really is quite useful :)

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Ok these are my current settings and now it doesn't seem to drop below 30 fps in this first town, and is often comfortably above that, outside hitches from loading new areas/textures etc as I move back and forth. I dunno if they qualify as medium or whatever overall. I'm tired of messing around so I'll play like this unless anyone has solid tips on how to improve it visually or performance wise without a noticable drop in any other way. Or how to force 60 max fps without turning vsync on. This is how it looks. It's a little rough but alright, outside the obvious LOD (the actual objects aren't too obvious, but distant lighting and shadows can look vastly different as you approach or get further away.
http://i.picpar.com/e34d127a00ba8f01ba867985b2e2eac2834c8b75.png
http://i.picpar.com/667bc6c26d1d89e9b66bd5864de68f14485a5fdc.png
http://i.picpar.com/2a1a104363783ab999fd041b519ed2cc62f0249b.png
http://i.picpar.com/82252c2cdcec9e8e0dbff01b7e927fa7e153aa94.png
http://i.picpar.com/de1cf19b6d659a2a0294384eb7fc4100bc9dea2c.png
http://i.picpar.com/1cd164c47a9f9a5ced5a0b12b288165e8eb5c7b3.png

Soroc

Attackthebase said:
Finished downloading, but GOG is not letting me start up the installer....Ugh! :-(

Guess, I'll try a reboot and hope for the best, I am quite ready to play this game and not deal with this BS!

This seems to be a common problem. Just go into your GOG download Folder and into the Witcher 2 folder and run the .exe install file.

Attackthebase said:

Go to the actual setup file (directory where you dl'd the game to). Install option via downloader is borked.

anyone got weird graphic problem/(effects?) around the faces. I don't know what it's called. some dithering or something, there's faint vertical lines or something. it's not always noticable, but when I can see it, it's really distracting. I don't remember ever seeing this problem in other pc games.

Vader NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Picked up the only CE available at gamestop

CRC Fail on install

Have today and tomorrow off work to play this

$130 of fail

Animator

This game is fucking amazing in every way and I am not even out of the prologue yet.

It is a combination of all the good things from demons souls and witcher 1 x 100.

Minamu

iNvidious01 said:
to the guy who kept getting the server busy message of steam, try the toronto server in canada, im in the UK and getting 3.5mb/s. its not using my full connection but its good enough.
Thank you thank you thank you thank you :D Only getting 1.4mb/s but better than 0...

dino1980

The game is really good! Bether than I expected. But there is a but...

The only two things I am a little dissapointed with is with the gamepad.

1. That there is just walk to run with the analog. It would be easier to navigate with a jogging setting between walking and running.

2. Have bigger areas for opening doors or picking up stuff. Has happen alot that you have to walk around to try and pick something up, or is running right into the door and there is no trigger area, so you have to take a step back.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This game just keeps getting better. I'm really enjoying the combat a lot more, especially since I figured out how to use traps and bombs. Some of these fights can be fairly challenging even on normal difficulty.

I just made it to Chapter 1, and damn, that prologue was fantastic. I continued to be blown away by just how damn good this game looks and plays. The production values are incredible, especially when you take their relatively small budget into account.

Thanks for the advice! Worked like a charm. I am currently installing this beauty. It's a pity, I'll have to play on medium. Running dual 250s right now.

Ferrio said:
I decided to flash my bios the night before this came out...BAD idea.

The good news and $550 later, I now have a I5 sandybridge cpu, new mobo and memory coming to replace my core 2 duo. Along with my 5850, I'll smoke this game.

No you wont.

My copy should be here from amazon tomorrow.

Darklord

Banned
I finished the download from the GOG installer, it finally was ready to install. I click install...and nothing happens. Umm...wtf!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Darklord said:
I finished the download from the GOG installer, it finally was ready to install. I click install...and nothing happens. Umm...wtf!

Go to the folder where you downloaded the files to and double click the setup_the_witcher_2.exe file there.

The same thing happened to me.

iNvid02

Darklord said:

manually click the .exe in the download folder

Chiggs

Gold Member
Christ. I came back from the gym and Steam is shitting out 358kbps, a far cry from the 2 megs I was gitting before I left.

Lame!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom