• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minsc

Gold Member
Ikuu said:
Still waiting on my download to finish :(

Are the novels worth a read?

Yes, The Last Wish and The Blood of Elves (a little less so) are both excellent reads.

Sullen said:
How do you import your saves from Witcher 1? And is there anywhere online you can get saves?

When you start a new game you're given an option to import, I believe it finds them automatically.

The OP has links for saves you can download.

ColonialRaptor said:
I totally disagree.

No, he's right. It's mosty the animation of the eyes during cutscenes, it's completely off (they barely ever move, and eyes tend to be completely fixed and often look in a different direction of what the character is "watching") and gives a very uncanny feeling.

And as one could expect from a "smaller" studio without a decade of experience, the mocapping and generally the animation isn't certainly the industry's best.

CDProject threw a LOT of muscle and quite an impressive amount of creativity at this (and it shows), but it's still a product that's somewhat rough along the edges.

I'm surprised nobody mentions the UI, tho. It's absolutely fantastic, and it handles quests in an immersive and visually spectacular way.

Salaadin

Sullen said:
How do you import your saves from Witcher 1? And is there anywhere online you can get saves?

From the OP:

Place the save you download into "Documents\The Witcher\saves" and The Witcher 2 will automatically go there to find it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sullen said:

When you start a new game it will ask you if you want to import.

Check the OP for saves.

Animator

VisanidethDM said:
No, he's right. It's mosty the animation of the eyes during cutscenes, it's completely off (they barely ever move, and eyes tend to be completely fixed and often look in a different direction of what the character is "watching") and gives a very uncanny feeling.

And as one could expect from a "smaller" studio without a decade of experience, the mocapping and generally the animation isn't certainly the industry's best.

CDProject threw a LOT of muscle and quite an impressive amount of creativity at this (and it shows), but it's still a product that's somewhat rough along the edges.

I'm surprised nobody mentions the UI, tho. It's absolutely fantastic, and it handles quests in an immersive and visually spectacular way.

I wouldnt call it rough in the edges. The cutscenes impress me way more than bioware ones. There is one particular gerald finishing move in the prologue that was quite badass. Also I have a feeling cdproject will be releasing a EE Directors cut for this as well and improve on any shortcomings. Also agreed with the UI. It is pretty much the nicest looking UI I have seen. It looks so professional and clean.

I feel so lucky we have devs like cd project so we can play games like this.

Sethos

Banned
Okay, here's the deal. I was gifted The Witcher 2 on Steam by a very nice individual here on 'Gaf, so it means I'm all set. I also swore to support the developers and did so by buying a GoG copy for a dear friend of mine, a person that just decided to make a complete ass of me behind my back among some common friends. So instead of having two copies of the game, why not do unto others what was done to me? Gift it.

So right now I'm giving away 1 x GoG account with The Witcher 2 Digital Premium Deluxe, 4 of the default free games and the ability to get one of their other free games selection if you pre-ordered this ( Got the game before release ).

I want to give it to an active member that can't afford the game or deserves it in some way. So if someone can give me a good reason why you deserve it, perhaps you know a NeoGaffer that deserves it? Let me know.

Commence.

EDIT: Typos up da hizzay, I've had some beers.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Sethos said:
Okay, here's the deal. I was gifted The Witcher 2 on Steam by a very nice individual here on 'Gaf, so it means I'm all set. I also swore to support the developers and did so by buying a GoG copy for a dear friend of mine, a person that just decided to make a complete ass of me in front of some common friends. So instead of heaving two copies of the game, why not do unto others what was done to me? Gift it.

So right now I'm giving away 1 x GoG account with The Witcher 2 Digital Premium Deluxe, 4 of the default free games and the ability to get one of their other free games selection if you pre-ordered this ( Got the game before release ).

I want to give it to an active member that can't afford the game or deserves it in some way. So if someone can give me a good reason why you deserve it, perhaps you know a NeoGaffer that deserves it? Let me know.

Commence.

I don't need it,but I just want to say good on ya mate. Spread the joy

Arozay

I have a question about quick-saving, does it keep the quick saved file to one dedicated slot or does it create a new save every quicksave (Like Witcher 1)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It is a huge leap. And as was said, the world definitely feels alive. I feel like I'm in the middle of all the tactical discussion in the beginning. Like I'm part of something. Graphics even going down from uber are amazing, no way around it.

Combat and controls are pretty tight.

Sethos said:
Okay, here's the deal. I was gifted The Witcher 2 on Steam by a very nice individual here on 'Gaf, so it means I'm all set. I also swore to support the developers and did so by buying a GoG copy for a dear friend of mine, a person that just decided to make a complete ass of me my back among some common friends. So instead of having two copies of the game, why not do unto others what was done to me? Gift it.

Commence.
Nice move. :)
If you don't find anyone I will take it and be forever grateful, but I don't have the money atm to buy it and I think there are some people in here more hyped for the game :D

arotator

Neo Member
I actually prefer the Blood of Elves to the Last Wish (I'm just over half way through BoE and plan to put an even bigger dent while I'm waiting for DL). It could be that I just like the one sustained narrative in BoE, but it also feels more serious and less whimsical to me. If lighter fantasy is your thing, you might prefer Last Wish. I just had a hard time with it meshing with my experience playing the Witcher 1.

LiquidMetal14 said:
You can say the same still for Crysis, Metro.
Meh, there's already plenty of 'mid range' new cards maxing those at 60 fps with 4xAA.
Then again nothing stops people from upping the settings to the point of ridiculousness in the ini so I guess you are right.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
SneakyStephan said:
Meh, there's already plenty of 'mid range' new cards maxing those at 60 fps with 4xAA.
Then again nothing stops people from upping the settings to the point of ridiculousness in the ini so I guess you are right.
I would call the barometer the point in which you can turn everything on and not risk performance. Maxed. It's not an easy task with games like this for sure.

1stStrike

Banned
Haha, UPS just delivered my copy of the Witcher 2... except I got two of them. Went back to amazon and checked my bank account and I only paid for one, so looks like I got an extra copy at no charge.

natkingcoleslaw

Neo Member
VisanidethDM said:

Especially important for an RPG. So many RPGs, just have an ugly looking UI, when that is what the player is looking at for a significant amount of time.

As for the cutscenes, I feel they are quite impressive, with the characters moving and emoting through body language. The facial animations are one thing, but I can't think of games other than HL2 and LANoire that did it right.

Can someone tell me what the disk looks like regular USA retail version?

My CE was the only CE at the store, and I have a disk read error. So my only hope to play this game anytime soon is to swap the disc.

Very annoying, $130 yet 2 disks stacked on top of each other. Very disappointed.

My collectors edition came in! Did anyone else's head rip apart the felt thing it's in? The head is find but the whole side of the feltish inlay is ripped up I guess from the weight of the head.

cackhyena

1stStrike said:
Haha, UPS just delivered my copy of the Witcher 2... except I got two of them. Went back to amazon and checked my bank account and I only paid for one, so looks like I got an extra copy at no charge.
I'll take it. Thanks, man.

Spat_triate

Game is awesome and really hard. It forces you to think about each encounter tactically and use everything at your disposal.

This is on track to be my RPG of the year. I hope it sells tons.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So the intro areas must have been especially taxing, because I'm getting a steady 60fps now in Chapter 1. This harbor area looks absolutely incredible. Easily the prettiest area I've seen yet in a video game.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
My collectors edition came in! Did anyone else's head rip apart the felt thing it's in? The head is find but the whole side of the feltish inlay is ripped up I guess from the weight of the head.

yeah same here

let me know if u can install game. mine failed with CRC yet disk LOOKS totally fine, and I never had any problems with any other game discs

Luthos

Been downloading for 3 hours, and I'm only 42%.

Looks like it'll be night before I get to play it. Which means it'll be morning before I stop playing to go to sleep, lol

WEGGLES

1stStrike said:
Hey there, old buddy, old pal!

epmode

Zaro said:
I have a question about quick-saving, does it keep the quick saved file to one dedicated slot or does it create a new save every quicksave (Like Witcher 1)
It overwrites the same file each time so that's a big improvement.

Unfortunately, I don't think that you can overwrite regular saves and they can't be deleted in-game. The save files are noticeably smaller than in The Witcher 1.

Zefah said:
So the intro areas must have been especially taxing, because I'm getting a steady 60fps now in Chapter 1. This harbor area looks absolutely incredible. Easily the prettiest area I've seen yet in a video game.

what system are you running on?

cleveridea said:
yeah same here

let me know if u can install game. mine failed with CRC yet disk LOOKS totally fine, and I never had any problems with any other game discs

How far in did the install fail? I can try to install on my work computer but it definitely can't play it.

Macattk15

Bought the retail boxed version at Target. Impressed at what is enclosed in the package.

Will install and play tonight. ATI don't fuck my shit up plz ... 5870 here.

RedSwirl

Once agian, CDPROJEKT are the world champions of launcher menu design:

2ec3vyo.jpg

FoxSpirit

Ifn there is ONE nag, it's that text is tiny at 1080p. Really looks like it's not scaling properly. I constantly had to go to the journal to be able to read the tutorial texts (and even the text is pretty small).

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
How far in did the install fail? I can try to install on my work computer but it definitely can't play it.

I think its right at the end of the first disk install it complains about data2.cab

RS4-

GhostRidah said:
The game is pretty hard even on normal, I like it.

lol yeah; I was getting annoyed with the two black knights and three scrubs early on in the game. I had to set a flame trap and roll away hopping that I wasn't stuck in the blast radius or else I'd set on fire and just die :(

Is there an option like TW1 to see items and chests? It's easy to make out loot bags and plants but not actual random crates, chests, etc.

Arozay

epmode said:
It overwrites the same file each time so that's a big improvement.

Unfortunately, I don't think that you can overwrite regular save and they can't be deleted in-game. The save files are noticeably smaller than in The Witcher 1.
Cool, although it was kinda fun having a save for every 5 minutes of the first game.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
cleveridea said:
what system are you running on?

i5 2500k @ 3.3ghz
4GB DDR3 1600mhz RAM
Radeon HD 5870 1GB
Windows 7 64-bit

In the launcher I set the game to Ultra, but turned off Ubersampling, and turned up textures to the maximum. I also turned off V-sync. I'm playing at 1920x1080.

The siege areas could drop down to the 30s or so, but now that I'm in the forest, it's smooth as butter. This damn harbor town looks amazing; I can barely believe what I'm seeing. CDProjekt's attention to detail and ability to make realistic looking towns is simply unrivaled.

Minsc

Gold Member
Zefah said:
The siege areas could drop down to the 30s or so, but now that I'm in the forest, it's smooth as butter. This damn harbor town looks amazing; I can barely believe what I'm seeing. CDProjekt's attention to detail and ability to make realistic looking towns is simply unrivaled.

Did you see the Artbook from TW1? I haven't looked at TW2's yet, because it's basically a spoiler of the game, but they went to actual castles to build the settings for the different places. There's some really neat progressions of photos > sketches > renders > in-game screens.

Spat_triate

RS4- said:
lol yeah; I was getting annoyed with the two black knights and three scrubs early on in the game. I had to set a flame trap and roll away hopping that I wasn't stuck in the blast radius or else I'd set on fire and just die :(

Is there an option like TW1 to see items and chests? It's easy to make out loot bags and plants but not actual random crates, chests, etc.

Press "Z"

Sethos said:
Okay, here's the deal. I was gifted The Witcher 2 on Steam by a very nice individual here on 'Gaf, so it means I'm all set. I also swore to support the developers and did so by buying a GoG copy for a dear friend of mine, a person that just decided to make a complete ass of me behind my back among some common friends. So instead of having two copies of the game, why not do unto others what was done to me? Gift it.

Commence.

EDIT: Typos up da hizzay, I've had some beers.

Well, I had my pre-order from Play.com cancelled because there isn't enough money in my account for the transaction to go through :( I am *that* poor at the moment. So I would certainly be very, very grateful for it.

Edit:
296lqon.jpg

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Sethos, I'd gladly take that GoG version off your hands and play the hell out of it once I'm done reading The Blood of Elves.

Kyaw

Well damn. Best looking game ever. The game looks fucking great. Better than Crysis!

Kinda like the Crysis engine too. ><
Disabling DOF now.

The combat is HARD. I am on medium difficulty.
Blocking doesnt work sometimes. It needs to be more fluid IMO.
Hopefully things will be better when i get the ability to parry blows from any directions.

Story is marvellous too. Just got to Chapter 1.

My god. I was like :O when Foltest died. WHY??? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom