• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
boundedseven said:
Played for about 3 hours now, and I'm not sure what to think of it. Anyone else dying a lot?

You can't just rush into combat and mash the attack button.

You need to utilize your block move to parry their attacks and then go in for the kill. Also, use dodge to roll around and try to get behind them--you'll do more damage that way.

It's also a good idea to take advantage of potions and traps/bombs. When out of combat and in an open area, hold the left ctrl key and click the meditate icon in the middle of the wheel the pops up. Use Alchemy to make some potions and bombs. If you're having trouble with a particular battle, be sure to drink the Swallow potion before battle. In your inventory, you can assign traps and bombs to your quick slots (which show up when holding the left ctrl key). Press the R key during combat to use whichever bomb or trap you have selected.

Use the Quen sign to throw up a damage shield that both harms your opponents and absorbs a certain amount of damage for each of their hits. If you are really having trouble, you can cheese the combat and just run around until your Vigor recharges enough to use Quen, then run in and get a couple of hits in before Quen wears off.

Salaadin

robotrock said:
untitledpur7.png

Guys, did any of you have this problem? Because I keep on clicking "OK' but I don't know! It keeps on bringing this back up! Retail copy here. Any advice/help?

Try Ctrl+Alt+Del and force closing that message..

After that, goto the directory where the game is installed and click on the Launcher exe. I actually think its just called "Launcher". Use that to boot the game.

WOW Game is freaking brutal. I was on medium, tried like 5 times I can't get past the Ballista part. Had to lower it down to easy. Doesn't help that I never played Witcher games either and it doesn't seem to be letting me drink my potions.

robotrock said:
untitledpur7.png

Guys, did any of you have this problem? Because I keep on clicking "OK' but I don't know! It keeps on bringing this back up! Retail copy here. Any advice/help?

Same. Won't let me register, and then asks me if I want to install atari.exe patcher and it does nothing.

Edit: Found the actual Patcher_Atari file and ran that on my own. Failed to apply patch and then crash. Will try a restart. Anybody else know anything?

Snuggler said:
Did you register your game through the launcher? It should unlock the download for polish v/a.

Anyways, this game seems fucking amazing so far but now I'm stuck at work for 8 hours until I can play it again. :(

I will be angrily reading this thread all day.
Registered. Polish option doesn't show up.

AppleSmack said:
WOW Game is freaking brutal. I was on medium, tried like 5 times I can't get past the Ballista part. Had to lower it down to easy. Doesn't help that I never played Witcher games either and it doesn't seem to be letting me drink my potions.

You can only chug potions before battle..

AppleSmack said:

You can't. You have to meditate and drink the potions during prep-time. Like Batman. I guess people would chug healing in the first game. Not sure why, it was easy.

DieH@rd

Banned
SerArthurDayne said:
You can't. You have to meditate and drink the potions during prep-time. Like Batman. I guess people would chug healing in the first game. Not sure why, it was easy.

Something is weird with their UI, i cant seem to be able to activate traps/bombs/drink potions? Any help how to do that?

Zefah said:
You can't just rush into combat and mash the attack button.

You need to utilize your block move to parry their attacks and then go in for the kill. Also, use dodge to roll around and try to get behind them--you'll do more damage that way.

It's also a good idea to take advantage of potions and traps/bombs. When out of combat and in an open area, hold the left ctrl key and click the meditate icon in the middle of the wheel the pops up. Use Alchemy to make some potions and bombs. If you're having trouble with a particular battle, be sure to drink the Swallow potion before battle. In your inventory, you can assign traps and bombs to your quick slots (which show up when holding the left ctrl key). Press the R key during combat to use whichever bomb or trap you have selected.

Use the Quen sign to throw up a damage shield that both harms your opponents and absorbs a certain amount of damage for each of their hits. If you are really having trouble, you can cheese the combat and just run around until your Vigor recharges enough to use Quen, then run in and get a couple of hits in before Quen wears off.

OMG, then shield sign is amazing. Makes the game SO MUCH EASIER. Thank you.

Never got round to playing The Witcher 1, died about 5 times in first fight of TW2. Looks like this is going to be somewhat of a steep learning curve.

_Xenon_

Banned
Changes I don't like in TW2:
1. Drink bottle only during meditation.

2. Sword swing only hurts the targeted enemy not everybody within the range, and it seems you can't lock your target (the game auto targeting kind of sucks).

RS4-

DieH@rd said:
Something is weird with their UI, i cant seem to be able to activate traps/bombs/drink potions? Any help how to do that?

Go to your inventory and drag the trap to your "pocket" section, then push R outside of the menu to set the trap or whatever you have in pocket. Potions are only when you meditate.

About the ballista part; I got away with just kiting them (at least the guys that are initially by the ballista) so the dudes with the crossbow stay back and I can move to the other side of the section and deal with the melee guys. There's a point where they turn back; so I just back stab, move back, then stab again.

jackdoe

Haha. The papercraft is kicking my ass (I have no idea what the correct way is for Geralt's arms). The standard premium edition is nice and comes with a "Game Guide". I thought this was the game manual at first and luckily stopped when I caught the glimpse of multiple acts and realized it was a walkthrough.

Salaadin

_Xenon_ said:

2. Sword swing only hurts the targeted enemy not everybody within the range, and it seems you can't lock your target (the game auto targeting kind of sucks).

Alt is target lock.

vesp

_Xenon_ said:

you can lock on enemies (it was either rb or lb on the 360 controller)

Okay. Is there another way I can access the activation patch rather than through the installer/launcher itself? Jesus. I totally didn't care about the piracy stuff until it started fucking with me.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
_Xenon_ said:

You can toggle single target lock on with LB on a 360 pad, not sure what the equivalent key is for kb/m. beaten!

I agree that only being able to hit one target with a swing is lame... I already miss group style. =/

natkingcoleslaw

Neo Member
Van Buren said:
It has a line which goes something like, "Kill the sister fucker."

Does that answer your question ?

Man. That is so close to my heart. Sister fucker is one of my, and my people's, favorite curses ever. I say that to like every second person I ever meet.

_Xenon_

Banned
Salaadin said:
Alt is target lock.
Thanks. Any idea which button it is for a 360 pad? I generally use a pad.

vesp said:
you can lock on enemies (it was either rb or lb on the 360 controller)

ExMachina said:
You can toggle single target lock on with LB on a 360 pad, not sure what the equivalent key is for kb/m. beaten!

I agree that only being able to hit one target with a swing is lame... I already miss group style. =/
Woot! Thanks!

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Core i7 @ 3.8 GHz
SLI GTX580

I am getting 60fps constant on High plus a couple settings turned higuer. I saw my GPU tracking app, EVGA precision, and both cards are using about 70% of their power. This is the kind of game I bought these videocards for.

I am even inclined to put the third GTX580 back since this game scales so well, but since I haven't seen a single framerate drop, I think I will keep the extra GTX580 in my brother's rig.

iNvid02

i cant even launch in full screen mode, sli optimisation is horrific and i cant access any dlc/extras

im just gonna play la noire until this gets playable

really starting to get sick of all new releases being unoptimized at launch

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
RS4- said:
About the ballista part; I got away with just kiting them (at least the guys that are initially by the ballista) so the dudes with the crossbow stay back and I can move to the other side of the section and deal with the melee guys. There's a point where they turn back; so I just back stab, move back, then stab again.

Yeah I died a few times on that part but I felt like it kinda got me up to speed with the combat. It just requires a lot of focus, you gotta attack conservatively and evade/block aggressively. Using your signs effectively definitely helps a lot with crowd control, and don't be afraid to use them since they recharge pretty fast. An aard can stun one enemy for an easy kill, and the trap sign has been very helpful so far since it can totally incapacitate an enemy. Just like Demon's Souls, divide and conquer tactics are always your best bet for surviving a fight against a crowd.

It's hard but so far it doesn't feel unfair at all, just unforgiving towards carelessness. So far I've loving the combat, it's a huge upgrade over TW1.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Is anyone else having freezing issues? Got the retail release if that matters. It freezes for like 1 or 2 minutes sometimes. I don't know if it's a driver issue but I highly doubt it's my CPU. No other game has done this. I'm running fraps, MSI afterburner, and 2 virus/malware progs in the BG. Is fraps known to do this?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
iNvidious01 said:
i cant even launch in full screen mode, sli optimisation is horrific and i cant access any dlc/extras

im just gonna play la noire until this gets playable

really starting to get sick of all new releases being unoptimized at launch
I am seeing the best SLI optimization ever. Something must be wrong with your setup.

_Xenon_

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:
Is anyone else having freezing issues? Got the retail release if that matters. It freezes for like 1 or 2 minutes sometimes. I don't know if it's a driver issue but I highly doubt it's my CPU. No other game has done this. I'm running fraps, MSI afterburner, and 2 virus/malware progs in the BG. Is fraps known to do this?
I play the retail version and run it with FRAPS. No such issue.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
_Xenon_ said:
I play the retail version and run it with FRAPS. No such issue.
Looking more like an AMD driver issue. I went back to 11.4 and still happens. Happens in 11.5 as well. Thanks for the response.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Just finished installing. It auto detected to high, but I switched to Ultra with ubersampling off, and it runs like butter.

For those curious, my specs:

AMD Phenom II X4 3.2ghz
8 GB DDR3 RAM
Radeon 6950 2GB DirectCUII Voltage Tweak/Overlock

EvolveTom

SerArthurDayne said:
Polish versions had a number on the bottom and a leaflet indicating a limited number. Neither exist for the U.S. version. So whatever the number is I imagine it isn't that limited.
It's very limited -- as noted above, about 3000 units in North America total.

Exuro

Just finished the prologue. I'm loving the combat and narrative so far is top notch. Need to take a break. Only issues I have are the stealth part sucks and theres some graphical glitches.

The only times I've died so far are
During the dragon part. Fire kept killing me. The stealth part I died at least 5 times trying to sneak.

Combat at first was a little strange. There's enough delay between actions that you need to do everything right else you get punished which I'm now loving. I've used more signs already than I did in TW1. Very useful and the game is really good.

Salaadin

LiquidMetal14 said:
Looking more like an AMD driver issue. I went back to 11.4 and still happens. Happens in 11.5 as well. Thanks for the response.

How often does this freezing occur? Im played with an ATI 5850 with Catalyst 11.5 this morning for about 40 minutes with no freezes of any sort.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Exuro said:
Combat at first was a little strange. There's enough delay between actions that you need to do everything right else you get punished which I'm now loving. I've used more signs already than I did in TW1. Very useful and the game is really good.

Same here. If I had played TW1 on hard, it would probably be different, but all I ever used was Aard and Igni. Igni seems way underpowered this time around, which is good since I don't rely on it so much now. The trap sign already seems like its gonna be my new favorite. So good.

My only complaint is that sometimes Geralt doesn't block when I hit the block button (r2 on my gamepad). I know there is supposed to be a delay but sometimes he doesn't respond at all (even when he's standing still) which leads to me taking damage.

zonezeus

Snuggler said:
My only complaint is that sometimes Geralt doesn't block when I hit the block button (r2 on my gamepad). I know there is supposed to be a delay but sometimes he doesn't respond at all (even when he's standing still) which leads to me taking damage.

Been mentioned some pages ago - blocking requires stamina.

Exuro

Snuggler said:
Same here. If I had played TW1 on hard, it would probably be different, but all I ever used was Aard and Igni. Igni seems way underpowered this time around, which is good since I don't rely on it so much now. The trap sign already seems like its gonna be my new favorite. So good.

Block requires stamina so you may be running out of it. Rolling also uses stamina.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Lord Fruity said:
Been mentioned some pages ago - blocking requires stamina.

Ah yeah, I forgot about that. I think I even figured it out last night but I was playing at like 5AM so my memory is fuzzy.

Scratch that complaint then. I guess my only complaint then is that they don't explain anything about the combat to you, but I hate boring tutorials so it's an even trade.

Blizzard

Banned
Snuggler said:
I haven't gotten to play the game yet (e8400 + 5850 means it will be horribly ugly and run at 20-30 fps, it sounds like). However, people have posted a few times that blocking uses stamina, and stronger hits might make a meter go down further. Are you sure you aren't spamming block too much?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Where do I find the preorder code to put in the launcher's DLC item? I preordered and bought from gog and I looked at the emails and all I see is the cd key on the post-purchase email, the preorder email has no codes.

_Xenon_

Banned
Still trying to figure out how to manage my saves. I can't believe it if this game actually doesn't allow me to overwrite / delete my old saves (150+ saves in my folder and still growing).

And any idea how to store your stuff in game? The innkeeper doesn't do this anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom