• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.
RS4- said:
lol yeah; I was getting annoyed with the two black knights and three scrubs early on in the game. I had to set a flame trap and roll away hopping that I wasn't stuck in the blast radius or else I'd set on fire and just die :(

Is there an option like TW1 to see items and chests? It's easy to make out loot bags and plants but not actual random crates, chests, etc.
There is an option in the menu to always show items.
Can't remember what it's called though, always show something.

zonezeus

Kyaw said:
Well damn. Best looking game ever. The game looks fucking great. Better than Crysis!

Kinda like the Crysis engine too. ><
Disabling DOF now.

The combat is HARD. I am on medium difficulty.
Blocking doesnt work sometimes. It needs to be more fluid IMO.
Hopefully things will be better when i get the ability to parry blows from any directions.

Story is marvellous too. Just got to Chapter 1.

My god. I was like :O when Foltest died. WHY??? :(

Blocking requires stamina, that's why it doesn't always work. I'm also under the impression that stronger blows consume more stamina when blocked (not sure about it though)

RedSwirl

Anybody else notice how on the controller settings menu they even list square, triangle, etc.? Like they expect you to hook up a DS3. That to me confirms console versions more than anything else.

Kenka said:
Damn you Steam ! When am I able to play that sweet game ? :(
If you're getting the "servers busy" error, you might want to change (in the Steam settings) the server you use to San Jose. That worked for me, although the DL rate is nothing to write home about.

Kyaw

Lord Fruity said:
Blocking requires stamina, that's why it doesn't always work. I'm also under the impression that stronger blows consume more stamina when blocked (not sure about it though)

Holy shit, i never knew this!

Must be more careful with blocking now.

Finally got my Amazon order! Collector's Edition actually came with both pre-order DLC bonuses (Swordsman Suit and Roche Jacket). Wasn't expected, so a nice surprise.

Edit: Was anybody else's dirty as hell? Seriously, there is dirt all over the statute, stickers, DLC papers, and papercraft.

Edit 2: I guess it might just be particles from the liner disintegrating a little bit in shipment.

Statue head is nice and heavy, but mine was pretty beat up. Quality control or was "weathered" part of the plan? missing the top of one ear and a bunch of scuffs, mostly on the right side where it wore against the packaging.

JWong

Banned
RedSwirl said:
Anybody else notice how on the controller settings menu they even list square, triangle, etc.? Like they expect you to hook up a DS3. That to me confirms console versions more than anything else.
My second playthrough confirmed.

Ricker

It`s really been a while since I played a game like this on the PC,with Mouse and keyboard,damn it needs getting use to at first, fumbling for the keys...I think i`ll try the 360 controller to see if i`m better at it with that because right now, I keep dying at the Ballista part and on normal...

Any of you playing with the 360 controller? how is it?

_Xenon_

Banned
A few noob questions:

1. How do you manage your saves? It seems the game always creates a new save everytime and now I have like 150+ in my c drive.

2. How to store your stuffs? In wither 1 you can do so with the inn keeper but now I can only buy fish from him.

Dead

well not really...yet
Are there any B&M stores selling the CE?

Figured Fry's, but they dont even have listed on their website.

purg3

slept with Malkin
still waiting for steam to finish dl'ing, but reading through the thread I noticed a lot of mentions about the difficulty. So is it really that tough even on normal? I was more interested in playing the game for the story/scenery, don't want to get frustrated playing this so I might just play on the lowest difficulty. Also, can you change the difficulty on the fly, or are you locked in once you select it?

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Does anyone know if there is a limited supply of this for the US? Kind of want a second collectors edition...

Polish versions had a number on the bottom and a leaflet indicating a limited number. Neither exist for the U.S. version. So whatever the number is I imagine it isn't that limited.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Just got the same exact error :(

OK This is crazy

I just got back from the store where I swapped discs, and AGAIN exact same problem with completely new discs.

There is something broken here.

RS4-

purg3 said:
still waiting for steam to finish dl'ing, but reading through the thread I noticed a lot of mentions about the difficulty. So is it really that tough even on normal? I was more interested in playing the game for the story/scenery, don't want to get frustrated playing this so I might just play on the lowest difficulty. Also, can you change the difficulty on the fly, or are you locked in once you select it?

I think difficulty is locked; I'll check in a few mins. But yeah, it's pretty tough on normal since you're fighting groups of guys rather than one or two. It doesn't play like AssCreed either with guys taking turns stabbing you. You can parry but don't expect that to help you too much since you can't interrupt your attacks with it either.

Spat_triate said:
Press "Z"

Thanks, I should have read the tutorial, was under the impression that it didn't recharge over time and it was item based.

So I get out of work in two and a half hours and have this downloaded on my computer. I need to know if this is in fact the bee's knees.

Van Buren

TouchMyBox said:
So I get out of work in two and a half hours and have this downloaded on my computer. I need to know if this is in fact the bee's knees.

It has a line which goes something like, "Kill the sister fucker."

Does that answer your question ?

EvolveTom

Dead said:
Are there any B&M stores selling the CE?

Figured Fry's, but they dont even have listed on their website.

GameStop and Amazon are the only places in the US that carried the CE. It was limited to about 3000 units total in North America, so if you don't have one yet... errr... try those guys :)

Hulud said:
This runs WAY better than I thought it would on my OC'd GTX 460 1gb! I'm getting 50-60 fps in the city and 40-60 fps in the outdoors part with the trebuchets. Ultra settings, SSAO and Ubersampling turned off. 1440x900 res. Really, really impressed with how well optimized this game is. Here's hoping Nvidia includes optimizations of their own in the next driver update.

Ooh, now that is good news, my laptop has a GPU about as powerful as your desktop one, but it is AMD so I hope there is further optimization when I can play it in six weeks or so.

Van Buren said:
It has a line which goes something like, "Kill the sister fucker."

Does that answer your question ?

Get out of town.

Holy shit. No Polish voice-overs?! FIX THIS IMMEDIATELY, CDPROJEKT!

Also, surround sound IS NOT WORKING.

What kind of setup do you have? My soundcard can encode DTS in real-time, so it best work.

chifanpoe

boundedseven said:
Played for about 3 hours now, and I'm not sure what to think of it. Anyone else dying a lot?

On hard i have died several times. These we due to me rushing into battle and not thinking about tactics or taking too many enemy's on at one time.

Arozay

Gonna go to bed and let this download now, I just hope there are great voice-acting moments in the game like "Die shiteater" or "Your mother sucks dwarf cock"

natkingcoleslaw said:
I don't think so. My witcher 1 save folder is already at 2 gb. Have to get rid of some now.
Yeah, I just checked and I have around 3gbs of saves (keep in mind I cleared all but one of my saves starting chapter III)

Truant

I like the fact that you can play without potions for a large part of the game. The first one was super strict about that, I felt. I didn't even know you could drink potions in the prologue, so I got to Chapter 1 without using them. Hard as hell, but doable.

cleveridea said:
OK This is crazy

I just got back from the store where I swapped discs, and AGAIN exact same problem with completely new discs.

There is something broken here.

This would suck hard if all the Collector's disks were messed up. :(

TouchMyBox said:
What kind of setup do you have? My soundcard can encode DTS in real-time, so it best work.
I use an HT Omega eClaro, it can also encode DTS in realtime. Nothing.

FAKE EDIT: Turns out this is a common issue. http://www.gog.com/en/forum/the_witcher_2/no_sound/post35

REAL EDIT: I'm going to mess around with the options to see if I can get it working.

Make sure your configuration is operating in 5.1, then surround will work.

natkingcoleslaw

Neo Member
zlatko said:
I love how over on the steam forums people are just shitting on them for this, because to be honest it is a pretty dumb move. They had the release date for the game for a half a year, and they didn't talk to CDProjekt/GoG to get this straightened out before hand? Valve is one of the biggest, if not THE biggest digital distributor, and this game is arguably the biggest PC game of the year we know is coming out.... yet this happens? Big big big ball dropped by them to be honest. :(

An interesting little factoid for you: GoG is owned by CDP. So maybe they want to promote their own distribution service over another.

mileS

No way to manage saves in game? kind of strange really. If its constantly making a new save file every time it auto saves isn't that going to take up quite a bit of space near the end of the game?

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
This would suck hard if all the Collector's disks were messed up. :(

I don't think its CE specific. I think they just swapped regular disks for my CE disks, I THINK they look the same and ARE the same.

I am trying to copy the discs to hard drive and install that way, I was going to try this anyway and noticed they recommended this on the support site.

man took today and tomorrow off to play this game and so far it looks like I will be even lucky to play at all.

Anyway, $130 is bad value vs the gog digital deal, serves me right I guess being too materialistic.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Holy shit. No Polish voice-overs?! FIX THIS IMMEDIATELY, CDPROJEKT!

Did you register your game through the launcher? It should unlock the download for polish v/a.

Anyways, this game seems fucking amazing so far but now I'm stuck at work for 8 hours until I can play it again. :(

I will be angrily reading this thread all day.

cleveridea said:
I don't think its CE specific. I think they just swapped regular disks for my CE disks, I THINK they look the same and ARE the same.

I am trying to copy the discs to hard drive and install that way, I was going to try this anyway and noticed they recommended this on the support site.

man took today and tomorrow off to play this game and so far it looks like I will be even lucky to play at all.

Anyway, $130 is bad value vs the gog digital deal, serves me right I guess being too materialistic.

What's so great about the digital deal? And ah, I didn't realize you were trying normal version too. Let me know how ripping the disks works. I've had that work with other games and was going to try that also when I got home.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
What's so great about the digital deal? And ah, I didn't realize you were trying normal version too. Let me know how ripping the disks works. I've had that work with other games and was going to try that also when I got home.

you get the artbook (digital though of course) and total package is $45

robotrock

Banned
untitledpur7.png

Guys, did any of you have this problem? Because I keep on clicking "OK' but I don't know! It keeps on bringing this back up! Retail copy here. Any advice/help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom