• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, Bioware employee has already been outed as a hoax so maybe let's not bring that shit into here if that's at all possible? There are a lot of legit reasons to attack Bioware, that isn't one and this is hardly the right time or place. In my opinion, of course.

Sethos said:
How did you access the bonus content in the Steam version? Right clicking on the game only has bog standard options.

I didn't access it but I'm pretty sure that there's an "Extras" menu in-game.

Does anyone else feel like there should almost be another difficulty between easy and normal? The jump from very easy to fairly difficult is kind of annoying because I want some challenge but I don't want to keep dying over and over in the same fights either.

syoaran

mercenar1e said:
http://www.thegx.co/news/1270/bioware-employee-reviews-witcher-ii/

Bioware employee reviews the Witcher 2

CD Project releases another misogynistic jaunt into the Mary Sue world of 'the witcher.' There is hardly anything of substance to recommend this train wreck to a discerning connoisseur of RPGs. Every element of its design can be described as 'embarassingly awkward.' Animation, art direction, dialogue, writing, combat. It's a list of sad mediocrities as long as your arm. The fact of the setting and characters being a shameless copy of Michael **** classic Elric of Melniboné series aside, the game itself behaves like a confused child. Does it want to be a brawler with peripheral RPG elements? Or an action RPG with brawler combat? In either situation the designers have failed to deliver on both satisfying combat or a compelling story that ever rises above the juvenile. Look to the masters at BioWare with their latest RPG epic, Dragon Age 2, for inspiration in your future games, CD Project. You certainly won't find it making shallow sex simulators based on plagiarized fantasy novels.

lmao is this real?

It's a joke on the "review" of Dragon Age II by a Bioware member of staff giving the game perfect marks.

LiK

i'll give a day for the support to reply to my email. i think i'll return the CE and just grab it on Steam.

Spat_triate

Why is the 'use' button the same as the 'attack' button? This shit is sooo annoying. Fighting near an interactive object is an exercise in divine patience. Sometimes I think game developers have no fucking common sense.

Im done downloading and installing the Witcher 2.. im having problems with the activation on Windows 7, i already tried the 100% text in the control panel and running the program as administrator and its still not working

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Darkkn said:
I can't figure out controller button configuration.. How do i get Meditation menu on 360 controller? or Use Medallion?

push L3 (the left thumbstick)

At least I think that's what you're referring to. It just scans the nearby enviro for relevant stuff.

So no word on the Lures yet?

Zeliard

Snuggler said:
Has anyone gotten far enough to figure out what the lures are for?

There has been some speculation about fishing, which would be amazing, but maybe it's just for monsters or something.

also, goddamn not even halfway done with today's work, I wanna play so bad ;_;

Last night I got to
"present time"
(if you've pretty much started the game you can safely highlight). The stuff prior to that is surprisingly extensive. Just got home from work, after not a great deal of sleep. Naturally, I have to jump back in ASAP.

I enjoyed the new combat from the start and it keeps growing on me the more I adapt to its rhythms and add to my abilities.

Hawk269

mercenar1e said:
Im done downloading and installing the Witcher 2.. im having problems with the activation on Windows 7, i already tried the 100% text in the control panel and running the program as administrator and its still not working

The activation servers are down for maintenance. They said it should be up soon. This way you can regiser your game and get the free DLC as well.

mercenar1e said:

activation server is down =(

Sober

Huh, are mutagens any good? I only have 2 available slots right now (I'm at level 8) in the training tree, is that how it's supposed to work? The other trees don't have any visible, or do I need something specific, like have all connecting skills before I'm allowed to mutate? Because right now, not being able to even override a lesser mutagen doesn't make it very appealing at the moment.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Zeliard said:
I enjoyed the new combat from the start and it keeps growing on me the more I adapt to its rhythms and add to my abilities.

Definitely, and I left off at the exact same spot. I'm already loving the game and like you, the new combat, but I cannot wait for it to open up and let me explore some of the gorgeous environments.

Can anyone be crazy enough to agree with that "review". I'm assuming it is a troll or a fake or something. Oh well, regardless, Witcher 2 has been nothing but downright impressive and amazing for me.

REIGN x 777

Neo Member
Anyone else getting this problem?

AGYeo.jpg

I have the Steam version. After I click "Launch Game" from the launcher...

...it just sits here with the logo on the screen. I waited like 10minutes and nothing.

Tried it multiple times (restarted steam/computer, etc.)

I'm thinking I should reinstall but reinstalling through steam takes so long (redownloading 16gb >_<)

EDIT: Problem solved - the .exe was quarantined by my antivirus program (Avast), which seems to be somewhat common.

Just had to restore the file from there and now I'm good to go.

Zeliard

Also small random useful tip in case anyone didn't know, you can pick up all items by pressing spacebar. Not sure if the game ever tells you this, I may have just missed it. In the first game I think you held on CTRL and clicked.

Spookie

The execution cut scenes are a little jarring sadly but they make up in the savage brutality of Geralt has he just goes about fucking executing people.

They need to make you more aware you have a timer on some of your responses. That accidentally caught me out in town. :(

Anyone else getting a patch from Steam? A friend of mine said Steam is feeding him a 1gb patch, but it may have just been from verifying his install, as he wasn't able to get the game running.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
mercenar1e said:
http://www.thegx.co/news/1270/bioware-employee-reviews-witcher-ii/

Bioware employee reviews the Witcher 2

CD Project releases another misogynistic jaunt into the Mary Sue world of 'the witcher.' There is hardly anything of substance to recommend this train wreck to a discerning connoisseur of RPGs. Every element of its design can be described as 'embarassingly awkward.' Animation, art direction, dialogue, writing, combat. It's a list of sad mediocrities as long as your arm. The fact of the setting and characters being a shameless copy of Michael **** classic Elric of Melniboné series aside, the game itself behaves like a confused child. Does it want to be a brawler with peripheral RPG elements? Or an action RPG with brawler combat? In either situation the designers have failed to deliver on both satisfying combat or a compelling story that ever rises above the juvenile. Look to the masters at BioWare with their latest RPG epic, Dragon Age 2, for inspiration in your future games, CD Project. You certainly won't find it making shallow sex simulators based on plagiarized fantasy novels.

lmao is this real?

So bitter! Haha...

If only Dragon Age 2 wasn't such a piece of shit. The irony...

REIGN x 777 said:

http://i.imgur.com/AGYeo.jpg[IMG]

...it just sits here with the logo on the screen. I waited like 10minutes and nothing.

I'm thinking I should reinstall but reinstalling through steam takes so long (redownloading 16gb >_<)[/QUOTE]
Try to verify the integrity of the files through Steam before redownloading it altogether. Right click > Properties > Files.

[QUOTE=Zeliard]Also small random useful tip in case anyone didn't know, you can pick up all items by pressing spacebar. Not sure if the game ever tells you this, I may have just missed it. In the first game I think you held on CTRL and clicked.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it tells you. The tips fly by so fast and there's so much going on that it's hard to read them all in time, or even notice them in some situations.

Yeef

REIGN x 777 said:

http://i.imgur.com/AGYeo.jpg[IMG]

I'm thinking I should reinstall but reinstalling through steam takes so long (redownloading 16gb >_<)[/QUOTE]I have a similar problem, but the wolf doesn't even come up. The launcher just crashes instantly.

Redownloading won't do anything, if you verify the game fiels and they're all fine then you'd just be redownloading the identical files.

Try setting an exception in your antivirus program for steam/steamapps/common/the witcher 2. It didn't work for me, but it seems to have worked for a lot of other people with your issue. (You may also need to reverify your files or unquarantine witcher2.exe if your anti-cirus program moved it).

REIGN x 777 said:

I'm thinking I should reinstall but reinstalling through steam takes so long (redownloading 16gb <_<)
I did. Here is what I did:

- closed Steam
- went to the /bin directory in the game folder and ran witcher2.exe manually
- restarted my PC
- ran the game from the Steam menu

Then it worked. I have no idea which part did it though, maybe try running the executable since you've tried a Steam and PC restart?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
_tetsuo_ said:
How in the hell do you meditate?

When there are no nearby enemies, the option to meditate is in the radial menu where you change signs/swords

it's L2 on my gamepad, not sure about kb/m

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
LiK said:
first game was a fireplace or talking to certain NPCs

I know that but now you have to meditate to use a potion, and I don't recall the game ever telling me how. There is no button mapping in the game either.

Druz

Technosteve said:
not liking the chances you guys are having with the retail copy =( just bought my from worstbuy

worstbuy = one of the last remaining stores with a full PC game selection don't be a cuntface

Spookie said:
The execution cut scenes are a little jarring sadly but they make up in the savage brutality of Geralt has he just goes about fucking executing people.

They need to make you more aware you have a timer on some of your responses. That accidentally caught me out in town. :(
New executions are the only change I don't like. I don't like the fact that you're invincible while they play.

LiK

Castor Krieg said:
Game is great, runs awesome at 1440x900, but the Launcher and DLC is a mess. I'm going to sleep now I hope the fix it when I wake up.

i give up trying to install the retail discs. looks like everyone is having issues. maybe tomorrow!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
jim-jam bongs said:
New executions are the only change I don't like. I don't like the fact that you're invincible while they play.

Plus, the transitions are kinda rough. I did a finisher on a guy with a tower shield and the shield just vanished when I initiated it. Not a big deal but it does make it look a little unpolished.

I also like what they've done with Geralt. I'm not at all familiar with the books and this gruff, but this low-key, simmering variation of Geralt is pretty great. He reminds me a lot of Timothy Olyphant's character from Deadwood. Always a hint of rage boiling just underneath an otherwise calm facade.

Well put. The V/A sounds a little different this time, I can't help but hear a touch of David Hayter in his delivery.

Zeliard

I also like what they've done with Geralt. I'm not at all familiar with the books and this gruff, low-key, simmering variation of Geralt is pretty great. He reminds me a lot of Timothy Olyphant's character from Deadwood. Always a hint of rage boiling just underneath an otherwise calm facade.

_tetsuo_ said:
I know that but now you have to meditate to use a potion, and I don't recall the game ever telling me how. There is no button mapping in the game either.

Button mapping is available in the external config menu. At the bottom hit "input settings."

One of the tutorials does also go over using potions during meditation. Talks about the toxicity levels and such as well.

Ceebs

_tetsuo_ said:
How in the hell do you meditate?
Bring up the radial menu and the middle button is meditate.

Played about an hour and a half and the game is running fine @ High on my dual core + 4870 with just SSAO off and shadows turned down a notch. (It was a bit choppy at the very start when you have your first fight, but there was a lot going on then. So not perfect, but as well as most console games seem to run)

Holy shit were the comments not joking about normal being hard. I think I died maybe 6 times during the first big solo fight. I seem to be getting the hang of it though, but I already miss group style!

Wallach

jim-jam bongs said:

Do you have to initiate them yourself this time, or do they auto-trigger like in the first game? I fucking hated the fact that you could get hit during them in the first game because I had no real say in when they happened.

LiK said:
i give up trying to install the retail discs. looks like everyone is having issues. maybe tomorrow!

I have the STEAM version, couldn't register with my existing account, but ok - took only one retry to activate with new one. However DLC is looping and a couple of times Launcher refuses to load when pressing "Play" in STEAM.

My guess is this will be fixed overnight with some slight patching. I also hope they will have Polish VO up by tommorow.

bengraven

Running pretty well, only had to turn down a few things, but damn there is some serious stutter when I turn the camera at times. I might have to turn of DOF.

purg3 said:
yeah, I just finished that part. wasn't too fond of it, so I just mowed everyone down lol

I tried it twice and both times had to resort to beating someone down, pissing off
Roche

It also sucks that after the Prologue you lose all your Witcher 1 items/money.

REIGN x 777

Neo Member
jim-jam bongs said:
I did. Here is what I did:

- closed Steam
- went to the /bin directory in the game folder and ran witcher2.exe manually
- restarted my PC
- ran the game from the Steam menu

Then it worked. I have no idea which part did it though, maybe try running the executable since you've tried a Steam and PC restart?

There is no witcher2.exe in the bin folder o_o

...that might be a problem

I even did a search for it and it came up with no results. I think a re-download it in my future, even though when I run the Steam File Validation it comes back without errors.

It might just be that the activation servers are down, but I still don't know why the .exe wouldn't show up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom