• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

elwes

mercenar1e said:
http://www.thegx.co/news/1270/bioware-employee-reviews-witcher-ii/

Bioware employee reviews the Witcher 2

CD Project releases another misogynistic jaunt into the Mary Sue world of 'the witcher.' There is hardly anything of substance to recommend this train wreck to a discerning connoisseur of RPGs. Every element of its design can be described as 'embarassingly awkward.' Animation, art direction, dialogue, writing, combat. It's a list of sad mediocrities as long as your arm. The fact of the setting and characters being a shameless copy of Michael **** classic Elric of Melniboné series aside, the game itself behaves like a confused child. Does it want to be a brawler with peripheral RPG elements? Or an action RPG with brawler combat? In either situation the designers have failed to deliver on both satisfying combat or a compelling story that ever rises above the juvenile. Look to the masters at BioWare with their latest RPG epic, Dragon Age 2, for inspiration in your future games, CD Project. You certainly won't find it making shallow sex simulators based on plagiarized fantasy novels.

lmao is this real?

I haven't played DA2, but I enjoyed DA:O and at no point during DA:O did I enjoy it more than TW1 and what I've played of TW2.

I can't even take this seriously. Even if the game wasn't very good, this reeks of trolling.

Yeef

REIGN x 777 said:
There is no witcher2.exe in the bin folder o_o

...that might be a problem

I even did a search for it and it camp up with no results. I think a re-download it in my future, even though when I run the Steam File Validation it comes back without errors.

It might just be that the activation servers are down, but I still don't know why the .exe wouldn't show up.
Chances are your anti-virus program quarantined it. Check to see if it's in the 'vault' and restore it then add an exception to your anti-virus program.

oktarb

Sethos said:
Okay, here's the deal. I was gifted The Witcher 2 on Steam by a very nice individual here on 'Gaf, so it means I'm all set. I also swore to support the developers and did so by buying a GoG copy for a dear friend of mine, a person that just decided to make a complete ass of me behind my back among some common friends. So instead of having two copies of the game, why not do unto others what was done to me? Gift it.

So right now I'm giving away 1 x GoG account with The Witcher 2 Digital Premium Deluxe, 4 of the default free games and the ability to get one of their other free games selection if you pre-ordered this ( Got the game before release ).

I want to give it to an active member that can't afford the game or deserves it in some way. So if someone can give me a good reason why you deserve it, perhaps you know a NeoGaffer that deserves it? Let me know.

Commence.

EDIT: Typos up da hizzay, I've had some beers.

I'll throw my hat into the ring for this wonderful idea and gift. Just had my first babay girl (Kaylee Rae Bratko) and am super happy. Alas as a result my gaming fund has been nuked for the forseeable future. Baby takes prioriy.

So here's my wave, such a good game and the devs are on the right track!

Sorry if it's been asked but the Witcher 2 isn't detecting any of my old saves even though there are a bunch in my C:\Users\______\Documents\The Witcher\saves folder. STEAM version for both.

Any idea how to fix it?

EDIT: Windows 7 if anyone has any suggestions.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Sir Garbageman said:
Sorry if it's been asked but the Witcher 2 isn't detecting any of my old saves even though there are a bunch in my C:\Users\______\Documents\The Witcher\saves folder. STEAM version for both.

Any idea how to fix it?

You have to move them to your Witcher 2 save folder

Sober

Zeliard said:
Really? I tried to allocate points outside of meditation once to see if you can but it didn't do anything.
I've put talent points into the tree in every way except in meditation, seems fine to me.

megalowho

Well Steam certainly doesn't want me playing this game tonight. 30 minutes of switching servers, suspended downloads, and now that it's finally connected it's averaging out at 400kb/s. Looks like I've got a good 8-10 hours to go. Might as well see what this L.A. Noire business is all about while I wait..

Truant

Chapter 1 boss spoiler:

I'm at the Kayran boss monster, but I can't figure out what to do after he's been trapped in the rubble. He keeps throwing instakill rocks at me, and his arm blocks the path to his body. Right now I'm just hiding behind a rock to regenerate some health. HELP

Zeliard

Sober said:
I've put talent points into the tree in every way except in meditation, seems fine to me.

I just remember trying it with the first talent point you get and not being able to choose a Witcher Training node until I did so while meditating. They were basically grayed out. Shrug.

antonz

Truant said:
Chapter 1 boss spoiler:

I'm at the Kayran boss monster, but I can't figure out what to do after he's been trapped in the rubble. He keeps throwing instakill rocks at me, and his arm blocks the path to his body. Right now I'm just hiding behind a rock to regenerate some health. HELP
the falling rocks/statue make a bridge you can run up. I was stuck for awhile myself til I realized it

REIGN x 777

Neo Member
Yeef said:
Chances are your anti-virus program quarantined it. Check to see if it's in the 'vault' and restore it then add an exception to your anti-virus program.

That makes a ton of sense. I did initially check for anti-virus issues since that seemed like it was a problem for a few people, but couldn't seem to find anything.

EDIT: Yup, that was it. Took me quite a while to figure out where to go in Avast to see if it was quarantined. (They call it the "chest" lol, so I had to restore it from there).

Thanks for helping me connect those 2 clues lol :)

Wallach said:
Do you have to initiate them yourself this time, or do they auto-trigger like in the first game? I fucking hated the fact that you could get hit during them in the first game because I had no real say in when they happened.
They basically auto-trigger but it's much easier to pick an incapacitated enemy in a crowd since they hunch over. I never had much trouble in the first game though, if you're surrounded just don't hit the guy who looks like he's just been blown. ;)

Wallach

jim-jam bongs said:
They basically auto-trigger but it's much easier to pick an incapacitated enemy in a crowd since they hunch over. I never had much trouble in the first game though, if you're surrounded just don't hit the guy who looks like he's just been blown. ;)

Well, in that case I'm rather satisfied you can't be hit during them now.

LiK

hmmm, so the Roche Jacket is a CE only DLC...now i might reconsider on returning it, lol

altho i wonder if the retail DLC works with the Steam version?

antonz

LiK said:
hmmm, so the Roche Jacket is a CE only DLC...now i might reconsider on returning it, lol

altho i wonder if the retail DLC works with the Steam version?
I would think so. DLC card says you can reuse the DLC code on upto 5 installs at a time its not a one time only code. just have to revoke the code usage when uninstalling

Sethos

Banned
Well, I'm surprised - Considering there's no CF profile yet, the intro sequence and the following combat was butter smooth with these settings on my rig;

Settings.png

I had really expected much worse, can't wait to see what happens when a CF profile is out, damn.

LiK

antonz said:
I would think so. DLC card says you can reuse the DLC code on upto 5 installs at a time its not a one time only code. just have to revoke the code usage when uninstalling

sweet thanks. that seals it for me.

Here is the STEAM thread if anyone is having a problem with regards to the game not detecting a Witcher save

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1893783

And here is the FAQ off of thewitcher.com

http://www.en.thewitcher.com/support/faq/#t22

My saves are in the right spot, don't know what the deal is. Kinda pissed seeing as one of the reasons I replayed the original was because of it.

EDIT: Here is the thread on GOG

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/the_witcher_2/witcher_1_saves_wont_import

Anyone have any suggestions would be much appreciated.

If anyone is having trouble with combat, remember to use your spells. Easy thing to do is trap or knock down the tougher baddies while you finish off or mind control the weak ones.

So the Steam download is 16 gigs? Might have to wait till next month to download this due to my bandwidth limits. already paid for on steam, but I guess I could get a refund and buy retail.

REIGN x 777 said:
There is no witcher2.exe in the bin folder o_o

...that might be a problem

I even did a search for it and it came up with no results. I think a re-download it in my future, even though when I run the Steam File Validation it comes back without errors.

It might just be that the activation servers are down, but I still don't know why the .exe wouldn't show up.

Ah I think that would explain it actually, maybe one time activation actually downloads the exe too? So when it's hanging it's trying to activate and get the last files maybe? I may have just got lucky with mine a couple of hours ago.

Wallach said:
Well, in that case I'm rather satisfied you can't be hit during them now.

I can see that, maybe they could have made it so they need to be activated but you can still get hit while doing them? Seems like a better compromise to me.

raphier

Banned
Why can't I walk while parrying? :( It really kills the feeling of proper sword fighting and disallows me to do certain attacks preciselly.

Varna

Still in the prologue but damn this game is amazing. Decide to start on hard mode and damn it's challenging. The comparisons to Demons Souls are dead on. Make a wrong swing and you are going to be paying for it. Seems like you really have to utilize everything at your disposal to win versus multiple enemies (and this is just in the fucken tutorial haha).

I am very satisfied with how it's running. 55 FPS on average at this point (I have fraps benchmark running) at 1080p, everything on max, SSAO off.

I do wish the finishers weren't so intrusive... I'm not a big fan of the cinematic camera and the warping is just so jarring. There should have been some walking backwards animations too... these are minor issues though. Game looks, runs and plays great.

Wallach

jim-jam bongs said:
I can see that, maybe they could have made it so they need to be activated but you can still get hit while doing them? Seems like a better compromise to me.

I would have been alright with that too. I just don't care for long ass canned animations that I can't get out of where I'm still vulnerable. I certainly don't care for them after seeing them twenty or more times. I'd also have taken an option toggle to never allow them to trigger at all.

Here's my impressions.

Other than the wonderful graphics I am quite dissapointed, the fact that this game feels better when controlled with an xbox controller and the heavy emphasis on the radial quick menu really bother me.

You can really feel how the console development plays into this game. The actual gameplay feels slightly cluster-f'd though I need to play it more than 3 hours.

Color me disappointed, and I have had this pre-ordered for months, besides from the graphics, I prefer the combat and mechanics from the first better :(

I also hate how you have to go into the inventory to apply oils, the lack of the huge open inventory from the first with individual items, and the fact that you have to meditate whenever you want to drink some pot.

Deadly

Exuro said:
How do I blow up nests? Is there a specific bomb I need?
Probably any explosive type bomb, I got mine from Cedric. Careful where you go, I just died because of the
endraga queen
and didn't have a save before =(

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Finally got the game installed on my main pc, but i can't seem to start the game beyond the launcher, I've updated my nvidia drivers to the latest beta drivers, set the game to windowed mode, used every screen resolution under the sun, changed to every game resolution and it still won't launch.;_;

On the other hand managed to play the game for a hour and a half on my other PC and the game is fantastic!

REIGN x 777

Neo Member
Sethos said:
Well, I'm surprised - Considering there's no CF profile yet, the intro sequence and the following combat was butter smooth with these settings on my rig;

Settings.png

I had really expected much worse, can't wait to see what happens when a CF profile is out, damn.

Vertical sync enabled o_o

WEGGLES

Bought the game, came with "Mysterious Merchant" code.

Sounds shitty.

"Unlocks a special character in each chapter who sells items otherwise only obtainable through side quests."

Why would you want to negate bonuses from sidequests?

Anyone use this? Is it as stupid as it sounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom