• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
WEGGLES said:
Anyone use this? Is it as stupid as it sounds?

Probably. On the bright side, I'd rather that retailer exclusive content is inconsequential crap so that the rest of us don't miss out on anything.

Smokey said:
Does this game play ok with the 360 pad...or is kb&m the way to go?

The pad is fantastic so far, feels like the game was designed with it in mind (which it was).

scorpscarx said:
Here's my impressions.

Other than the wonderful graphics I am quite dissapointed, the fact that this game feels better when controlled with an xbox controller and the heavy emphasis on the radial quick menu really bother me.

You can really feel how the console development plays into this game. The actual gameplay feels slightly cluster-f'd though I need to play it more than 3 hours.

Color me disappointed, and I have had this pre-ordered for months, besides from the graphics, I prefer the combat and mechanics from the first better :(

I also hate how you have to go into the inventory to apply oils, the lack of the huge open inventory from the first with individual items, and the fact that you have to meditate whenever you want to drink some pot.

Dude, the UI in the original game was horrible and anachronistic. I know, I finished it last night for the first time in preparation for this. Most of the changes they've made just fix problems, I really don't believe that it's some type of consolisation. The inventory changes have more good than bad; you can hold more than one of each type of weapon, you have more armour slots, items have weight and you have a weight limit which (I assume) is determined by your stats.

I really enjoyed the combat in the first game and I'm really enjoying the combat in this game even more. Try different things, everything about the combat is "active" now; you need to roll to dodge, you need to block to... block, you make combos by alternating attack styles and signs. To me, this is awesome.

And you don't need to meditate to use potions, you just need to use the meditation menu. It's different but more logical, since it means that all alchemy-related functions are grouped under meditation.

Snuggler said:
The pad is fantastic so far, feels like the game was designed with it in mind (which it was).

Seconding this, I can't imagine trying to play with signs bound to a key which I have to remove a finger from a movement key to use.

WEGGLES

Snuggler said:
Probably. On the bright side, I'd rather that retailer exclusive content is inconsequential crap so that the rest of us don't miss out on anything.
Oh yeah.

Absolutely.

I was just curious if it's something different and use it for my self or if it's what I think and give it away to who ever wants it (After saying how shitty/dumb it sounds :lol)

Zeliard

Are any of you trying out Insane your first time through?

I want to laugh at people who did then got fried by the dragon's fire in the prologue :p

scorpscarx said:
Here's my impressions.

Other than the wonderful graphics I am quite dissapointed, the fact that this game feels better when controlled with an xbox controller and the heavy emphasis on the radial quick menu really bother me.

You can really feel how the console development plays into this game. The actual gameplay feel slightly cluster-f'd though I need to play it more than 3 hours.

Color me disappointed, and I have had this pre-ordered for months, besides from the graphics, I prefer the combat and mechanics from the first better :(

I also hate how you have to into the inventory to apply oils, the lack of the huge open inventory from the first with individual items, and the fact that you have to meditate whenever you want to drink some pot.

I just can't understand this at all. Outside of using alchemy properly on Hard difficulty the first game's combat was brain-dead repetition. The sword fighting was the worst part of the entire game.

And having to meditate and drink pots prior to battle is SO MUCH BETTER. You honestly preferred just spamming pots in the first? It made the combat even dumber. Now you actually have to be mindful of your surroundings and your positioning relative to enemies at all times or you'll get destroyed.

What issue is it people have with the notion of a radial menu, anyway? Planescape: Torment had a radial menu. I don't think that was a dumbed down console game.

Shawsie64 said:
How to I cancel potions? ;(

Meditate

jim-jam bongs said:
And you don't need to meditate to use potions, you just need to use the meditation menu. It's different but more logical, since it means that all alchemy-related functions are grouped under meditation.
Except its slow, clunky and annoying.

Tokubetsu

Help with a boss in Chapter 1
What the fuck do I do to the Krayan once it knocks the bridge down and starts throwing shit?

Zeliard said:
Are any of you trying out Insane your first time through?

I want to laugh at people who did then got fried by the dragon's fire in the prologue :p

lol, the dragon fire killed me several times on medium. I admit, I had no fucking idea what was going on.

Varna

scorpscarx said:
Here's my impressions.

You can really feel how the console development plays into this game. The actual gameplay feels slightly cluster-f'd though I need to play it more than 3 hours.

I also hate how you have to go into the inventory to apply oils, the lack of the huge open inventory from the first with individual items, and the fact that you have to meditate whenever you want to drink some pot.

The JRPG style menu is definitely a step down. But the combat is a huge improvement over the first. The first game was just boring, repetitive and without any challenge at all (alchemy required my ass). During the tutorial this game is already making you utilize EVERYTHING (this is on normal too from what most people say). It definitely is a console crowd kind of combat, but so what? It's fun, challenging and actually feels satisfying.

Is the login currently broken to collect the day one DLC?

Zeliard

jim-jam bongs said:
Seconding this, I can't imagine trying to play with signs bound to a key which I have to remove a finger from a movement key to use.

Doesn't really make a difference when the radial menu slows time down. You don't really have to quick-choose Signs. It functions almost as a pause effect.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
lastplayed said:
lol, the dragon fire killed me several times on medium. I admit, I had no fucking idea what was going on.

I still don't understand how I was supposed to make it from cover to cover without catching on fire. I tried to watch out for the stupid dragon but I got hit either way until I got lucky on my 8th or 9th try.

Also, re: Demon's Souls influence - that part was very familiar. :)

jim-jam bongs said:
Dude, the UI in the original game was horrible and anachronistic..

I know a lot of people hated it, but I grew to love it. I have also had a blackout policy for this game so I didn't know anything about it going in.

Yes, I loved the sword-play in the first because it was.... different to me in how it combined mouse placement with quick time events.

I'll grow to love this game too I guess.... and yes I do love pot spamming, it's a waste of time for me to have to wait for the menu to pop up, view the meditate movement, go into potions, click 3 more buttons, and watch the exit out of meditation menu.

I guess this game feels kinda tedious to me, btw its more fun with a controller so far for me... feels more natural what with all the dodging and tactical camera movement.

Lostconfused said:
Except its slow, clunky and annoying.

Perhaps, but you're not supposed to use potions in a hurry, nor do you have any reason to which I've seen so far. It's not Diablo.

Zeliard said:
Doesn't really make a difference when the radial menu slows time down. You don't really have to quick-choose Signs. It functions almost as a pause effect.

Ahhhhhh okay. I was wondering about why the menu functioned that way, now it makes a lot more sense.

scorpscarx said:
I know a lot of people hated it, but I grew to love it. I have also had a blackout policy for this game so I didn't know anything about it going in.

Yes, I loved the sword-play in the first because it was.... different to me in how it combined mouse placement with quick time events.

I'll grow to love this game too I guess.... and yes I do love pot spamming, it's a waste of time for me to have to wait for the menu to pop up, view the meditate movement, go into potions, click 3 more buttons, and watch the exit out of meditation menu.

I guess this game feels kinda tedious to me, btw its more fun with a controller so far for me... feels more natural what with all the dodging and tactical camera movement.

Don't get me wrong, I really loved the combat in the first game as well. I'm just worried that a Witcher lover is getting discouraged by stuff which is more related to CDP deciding that they didn't want to bring the jank over from the Infinity Engine =]

Gattsu25

Banned
lastplayed said:
I had no problem with any of the other fights, but that area is KILLING me right now.

No fucking clue what is happening half of the time.

Edit: Motherfuck--I just died AGAIN. The dragon starts shooting flames at me as soon as I entered the second roofed area. The dragon is hovering to the side of the building, the building hasn't even begun to go on fire yet, he is shooting a non-stop concentrated surge of fire, and he took me down from 100% health to 0% in a cheap fucking attack that I have no way of seeing or defending against.

AGAIN.

Tokubetsu

Snuggler said:
I still don't understand how I was supposed to make it from cover to cover without catching on fire. I tried to watch out for the stupid dragon but I got hit either way until I got lucky on my 8th or 9th try.

Also, re: Demon's Souls influence - that part was very familiar. :)

I'm not sure but I think the falling wood is whats hurting you. I think they intended you to quickly dispatch the soldiers and run through but thats easier said than done. Especially when you're totally new to the combat.

Smokey

Snuggler said:

Good stuff. Just picked up a wired 360 pad earlier and was debating on using it or not for this game :p

Zeliard

The whole part with the dragon's fire was just awful, let's all admit it. Flames would be several feet away from you and you'd magically catch on fire regardless, and that's while having to deal with several enemies in your first introduction to the combat. On Hard it wasn't a fun scenario.

jim-jam bongs said:
Perhaps, but you're not supposed to use potions in a hurry, nor do you have any reason to which I've seen so far. It's not Diablo.
I am just saying that because of the poor implementation of those menus it's easier to just not bother wasting time to use potions in the first place. Maybe it will be worthwhile when I get some decent recipes.

Tokubetsu

Zeliard said:
The whole part with the dragon's fire was just awful, let's all admit it. Flames would be several feet away from you and you'd magically catch on fire regardless, and that's while having to deal with several enemies in your first introduction to the combat.

Fire beats wood everytime.

Tokubetsu said:
Help with a boss in Chapter 1
What the fuck do I do to the Krayan once it knocks the bridge down and starts throwing shit?

No one at this point?

Zeliard said:
The whole part with the dragon's fire was just awful, let's all admit it. Flames would be several feet away from you and you'd magically catch on fire regardless, and that's while having to deal with several enemies in your first introduction to the combat. On Hard it wasn't a fun scenario.
The ballista part was worse. I had to repeat it six times, no joke, because I didn't tap the X button fast enough. And I had no idea what was going on because it looked like the bar filled up but then apparently I failed it because the soldiers wouldn't stop coming.

Only had to repeat the dragon part three times.

Lostconfused said:
I am just saying that because of the poor implementation of those menus it's easier to just not bother wasting time to use potions in the first place. Maybe it will be worthwhile when I get some decent recipes.

Yeah I dunno, only played the prologue so far. I did think that Swallow was a lot more effective and Cat is much more useful too (Witcher-Predator mode). I guess it depends on how you used them in the first game, by the end I'd use 4 long durations, meditate for an hour to let the toxins seep out, and then head to a fight. Once I got there I'd down a few shorter duration ones too, but I always used them as a preparatory step rather than a reactive one.

jim-jam bongs said:
Yeah I dunno, only played the prologue so far. I did think that Swallow was a lot more effective and Cat is much more useful too (Witcher-Predator mode). I guess it depends on how you used them in the first game, by the end I'd use 4 long durations, meditate for an hour to let the toxins seep out, and then head to a fight. Once I got there I'd down a few shorter duration ones too, but I always used them as a preparatory step rather than a reactive one.
Same, I am still in the prologue. The only time I had to use a potion was during the first sneaking section. Otherwise the potions that could be used in combat weren't anywhere significant enough to have any effect or to even bother wasting time on them.

Sober

Zeliard said:
Yeah that part makes absolutely no sense. I tried to let the dragon do a complete pass a couple times but I think you have to be fast enough that you have to make a mad dash for it before he starts a strafing run and before the cover collapses.

Honestly, just pop Quen to mitigate some of the damage, that's about as good as I could do it. But I got one or two tries where I made it without being set on fire.

Lostconfused said:
Same, I am still in the prologue. The only time I had to use a potion was during the first sneaking section. Otherwise the potions that could be used in combat weren't anywhere significant enough to have any effect or to even bother wasting time on them.

I agree for the most part, but now, since I have to go into the meditate area just to usethem, I can't see myself using any at all until I want to level up. So less often than even the first game.

Playing on medium...died once at ballista part, died once at dragon part, died once at the gate. Changing your strategy and using all of your signs helps a TON.

If anything, it sucks that they just dump you into the game without giving you a good idea with what to do with the signs. I played the first one, but I can imagine it's extremely frustrating if you rely on sword fighting alone.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I have a feeling that they intended for us to read over the manual before playing, but I'm so used to not having manuals these days that I never even bothered.

Lostconfused said:
Weird, I had the opposite impression! I guess we'll see as the game progresses, hard to make a definitive judgment when I haven't even seen a proper monster yet.

Zeliard

What Signs have you guys mainly be using so far?

I'm obviously still very early on, but I haven't seen a real need yet to use anything outside of Quen and Yrgen, though I also haven't unlocked the tree for upgrading Signs yet.

But those two do the job.

Also regular traps are hugely powerful. Make sure to use them.

Sober

Zeliard said:

I'm obviously still very early on, but I haven't seen a real need yet to use anything outside of Quen and Yrgen, though I also haven't unlocked the tree for upgrading Signs yet.

Quen only when I panic, and Axii for some reason, the last two times I used it I lost all control of Geralt besides running in circles to get away, which was strange. Yrden (the trap?) is pretty fun, also spamming the stun bombs right now to get me out of trouble.

Exuro said:
How do I blow up nests? Is there a specific bomb I need?
Buy a book on Nekkers then read the "knowledge" entry in the character window ("C")

hint: grapeshot bombs, buy the blueprint from Cecil/that elf dude outside Flotsam

Smokey said:
Does this game play ok with the 360 pad...or is kb&m the way to go?

It plays great. Just turn down the "mouse look" sensitivity to zero.

So far, I adore this game. I love how the combat really requires you to mix up the magic with swordplay and positioning is much more important. It's not overly hard, but "normal" is not a level where you can just hammer the attack button and win.

And obviously, the game is beautiful. Even though I have two Radeon 6870s and one is going to waste because there is no crossfire support, it still looks fantastic. I did cut the game down to the second highest resolutoin and turned off uber sampling and a couple of other minor things, but most things are maxed out and it runs incredibly smooth. Honestly, I don't think I woudl be able to notice any difference if I had a monster rig with everything maxed out.

Mr. Snrub said:
Playing on medium...died once at ballista part, died once at dragon part, died once at the gate. Changing your strategy and using all of your signs helps a TON.

If anything, it sucks that they just dump you into the game without giving you a good idea with what to do with the signs. I played the first one, but I can imagine it's extremely frustrating if you rely on sword fighting alone.

Yeah, I think a tutorial message pops up about signs once, but it disappears fast, so I can see someone who didn't play the first game not knowing what is going on. And you really have to use them in this game.

Link0080

Just got back from getting a replacement copy and it still wont install. I guess I'm going to have to return it tomorrow and try again because I really do want a physical copy.

Zeliard said:

All of them have been pretty useful, those haven't been too successful with Axii. Yrden is great for boss battles with minions, can trap the bosses while you finish off the weaker ones. Quen is beast mode.

Wag

I can't even play the game in Fullscreen- if I try it just shows the damn Wolf's Head and goes right back to the laucher. I can only play in Windowed mode. Not good.:(

Zeliard

Mr. Snrub said:
All of them have been pretty useful, those haven't been too successful with Axii. Yrden is great for boss battles with minions, can trap the bosses while you finish off the weaker ones. Quen is beast mode.

Quen does feel a bit OP. Even with no talent upgrades you can pretty much keep it on the entire battle, and it seems to absorb a pretty significant amount of damage even at its lowest level.

Chiggs

Gold Member
The Witcher 2 has the best game world I have ever seen. So incredibly detailed and full of life. Nothing even comes close.

Wag said:
I can't even play the game in Fullscreen- if I try it just shows the damn Wolf's Head and goes right back to the laucher. I can only play in Windowed mode. Not good.:(

I did some searching around and finally figured out that currently the only way to fix this is to lower your desktop resolution to something below the max your monitor supports, then you can run the game in full screen mode.

Does anyone have any problems with blocking?

I'll be in the middle of a fight and I'll goto block and press the button for it but alot of the times nothing happens!

Im there yelling out "BLOCK YOU IDIOT!" but he wont and it only works some times but usually allways when im just walking around but combat is the problem.

TheVampire said:

I'll be in the middle of a fight and I'll goto block and press the button for it but alot of the times nothing happens!

Im there yelling out "BLOCK YOU IDIOT!" but he wont and it only works some times but usually allways when im just walking around but combat is the problem.

Blocking uses the same meter as the signs btw, so if your out, you can't block.

TheVampire said:

Use the Quen sign then Geralt can just parry any sword blow with his chin.

You can only block blows from the front if you don't spend any talent points. Also there are some recovery frames between attacks and rolls so you don't block right away even if you are mashing on the button. Just hold down the block button when you see the attack coming you don't need to finesse the timing.

Edit:
scorpscarx said:
Blocking uses the same meter as the signs btw, so if your out, you can't block.
Oh right, this too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom