• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeeDog

FUUU-, I only just now reached Chapter 1, and I already have to inventory manage away 50 pounds... What does item overloading do in this game? Geralt only walks at the moment, and won't run nor roll when Triss is carried (force-field).

vocab

5850 with 10.11 working fine here. Ubersampling no doubt gives me like 12-19 fps max. Turned off that, and ssao, and I got much more smoother performance. 30-40 fps in the beginning area.

What does texture down scaling do?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Oh man, just finished the prologue...

This game is brilliant!

BeeDog said:
FUUU-, I only just now reached Chapter 1, and I already have to inventory manage away 50 pounds... What does item overloading do in this game? Geralt only walks at the moment, and won't run nor roll when Triss is carried (force-field).
You probably collected a lot of useless crafting materials and inferior equipments from the prologue, drop those.

An update on my CRC failure on second set of discs after swapping at store

I managed to copy the disc onto another computer OK despite it failing when I try and do so on my laptop where I will play the game. Have installed plenty of discs on this laptop without problems so I guess they used low quality discs or something.

Now I tried to copy the files onto my 12GB Free flash drive and it failed, I guess 8GB file is too big for the file system (FAT I guess)

Ugh wasting an entire day on this, and who knows it may run so bad on my 460M laptop GPU I just wasted my time.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Finally downloaded all 16GB and then closed Steam, re-opened and now it's downloading another 2GB =(

Nezabyte

Neo Member
Mostly everything is great about the inventory, but is it seriously lacking a junk filter? bah! And I kinda miss the quick switch I had between pages (journal, items, etc.) as in W1.

Anyone know a way to keep playing dice poker consecutively? without having to exit and talk to the NPC again.

Gigglepoo

Weird bug:

My friend is playing the game and all of a sudden his keyboard stopped working. Restart, and his mouse stops as well. Both work fine out of the game, but once he starts playing, he can't control it. He tried switching to controller and still can't move. Any ideas?

When he goes back to a previous game, it works again. Did he somehow disable functioning controls?

Link0080

Got the retail version and getting this error a few seconds after it starts to install, anyone get this problem and have a fix for it?
U9W7C.png

EvolveTom

cleveridea said:
I think its right at the end of the first disk install it complains about data2.cab
The CE discs are actually the same as the Premium Edition... any chance at all you're using an old DVD drive that may not be able to read dual-layer discs?

Wes

venison crêpe
Gigglepoo said:
Weird bug:

My friend is playing the game and all of a sudden his keyboard stopped working. Restart, and his mouse stops as well. Both work fine out of the game, but once he starts playing, he can't control it. He tried switching to controller and still can't move. Any ideas?

I've noticed a bug where you throw a bomb where your keyboard will become unresponsive, except the R key (or whatever bomb/trap is set to). Only way I've got out of it is to keep spammign R until it snaps out of it. Of course sometimes I've died before that happens!

Gigglepoo said:
Weird bug:

When he goes back to a previous game, it works again. Did he somehow disable functioning controls?

Weird, this happened to me when I reinstalled TW1 the other week. I had to hold down shift in order to use the mouse in the menus, but in-game, it was fine.

I heard people got the weapons and stuff from w1 imported. I got the revan armor but the swords were default o_O.

I spend so much time doing those hunting quests in w1 =(

jackdoe

The install is giving me a headache. I want to just leave it and go play some L.A. Noire to pass the time, but the numerous reports of the problematic install pretty much mean that I should monitor the install so that I don't waste hours on nothing. Damn you pack0.dazip and your long ass unpacking.

Salaadin

cleveridea said:

I managed to copy the disc onto another computer OK despite it failing when I try and do so on my laptop where I will play the game. Have installed plenty of discs on this laptop without problems so I guess they used low quality discs or something.

Now I tried to copy the files onto my 12GB Free flash drive and it failed, I guess 8GB file is too big for the file system (FAT I guess)

Ugh wasting an entire day on this, and who knows it may run so bad on my 460M laptop GPU I just wasted my time.
Im unsure how much of this you tried but:
Attempting to install the game produces an error (component transfer error, CRC data error)up
CRC data error messages or other problems occuring during the installation of "The Witcher 2" can have various causes - usually they are caused by the optical drive malfunction (problems with reading DVD9 format discs) or by another application interfering with the game installation. Listed below you’ll find instructions on what to do to install the game correctly:

1) Make sure that the CDs are not dirty or scratched - any damage can impair the correct reading of the CD

2) Try installing the game from the hard drive. To do that create two new folders in a chosen location and copy into them (using Copy-Paste) all the contents of the two The Witcher 2 CDs. If during the copying process no errors occur, open the file Setup.exe which can be found in the folder with the contents of the DVD1 disc. When you are asked to insert the second CD, press the Browse key and afterwards select the folder into which the DVD2 was copied.

3) Start the installation after performing a “clean boot” on your computer.

4) Check your optical drive's manufacturer's website for firmware (BIOS) updates. If an update is available download it and install it. If you have any questions concerning the update of the optical drive's software please contact its manufacturer's technical support.

5) Change the data transfer mode of your optical drive's. If performing all the above actions does not enable the installation of the game check if the problem also occurs on other computers. This will help to determine whether the problem lies in any particular workstation.

Thats from CDPRs FAQ.

cleveridea said:

I gave up and just ordered the $45 game from gog.com and will return this $130 CE POS. I do not reward failure.

Durante

Snuggler said:
Yeah I died a few times on that part but I felt like it kinda got me up to speed with the combat. It just requires a lot of focus, you gotta attack conservatively and evade/block aggressively. Using your signs effectively definitely helps a lot with crowd control, and don't be afraid to use them since they recharge pretty fast. An aard can stun one enemy for an easy kill, and the trap sign has been very helpful so far since it can totally incapacitate an enemy. Just like Demon's Souls, divide and conquer tactics are always your best bet for surviving a fight against a crowd.

It's hard but so far it doesn't feel unfair at all, just unforgiving towards carelessness. So far I've loving the combat, it's a huge upgrade over TW1.
I agree with this. I was taken aback at first when I died in the prologue, but then I played it closer to Demon's Souls than The Witcher and had no trouble. The battles were just "there" in the first game, but now they're a legitimate gameplay component.

I'm also missing something like group style though. It doesn't make much sense to be standing in a group flailing about with a huge sword and only hitting one person at a time.

Darklord

Banned
The auto-detection but everything on ultra, which won't work with my 260GTX. I went in to change them but it's all screwy and glitchy. I can't see half the options, only the tab to change or enable/disable. Can someone please print screen theres so I can figure out which is the DOF and ubersampling?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The inside of my CE where the bust is was broken when I opened it.the whole felt lining on the left side was ripped and weighed down by the bust. Did this happen to anyone else?

Dityrink said:
Got the retail version and getting this error a few seconds after it starts to install, anyone get this problem and have a fix for it?
U9W7C.png

Yep I got this error and same thing when I swapped for new disks

If your disks look fine, return and just buy from gog.com. I wasted so many hours on this I should have done this from the start.

thetrin said:
The inside of my CE where the bust is was broken when I opened it.the whole felt lining on the left side was ripped and weighed down by the bust. Did this happen to anyone else?

Yeah thats normal. Terrible CE they should have dumped the head and just made it $100. Plus I am returning anyway as my discs failed (including new ones after swapping at store). gog.com downloading now...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
This is why I wish the game had steamworks, btw.

The disc errors, not the CE rip.

OK, Steam downloaded, launched the game, then exited and registered (couldn't use my existing account, however I heard they will be fixing that).

DLC available: English VA, Troll Trouble so far.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
This is pretty much a non issue, but is there any way to get my Steam shortcut to launch the actual game and not the launcher? I'm weird and like people to be able to see what I'm playing. I had a similar issue with Rift but maybe it does display it and I just don't see it.

thetrin

Snuggler said:
This is pretty much a non issue, but is there any way to get my Steam shortcut to launch the actual game and not the launcher? I'm weird and like people to be able to see what I'm playing. I had a similar issue with Rift but maybe it does display it and I just don't see it.

Did you try looking for the actual game executable in the Witcher 2 dir?

oh man! what a pain, the gog download automatically is putting the downloads into my C drive which is an SSD

Please tell me I can delete these intermediary files after its done installing? Otherwise it will end up using my entire free space on the SSD.

nice and fast download speed though

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
thetrin said:
Did you try looking for the actual game executable in the Witcher 2 dir?

Lol, no. I'm at work so I'm just thinking about dumb stuff related to this game, but I'll try that tonight.

Kyaw

Any tips on the combat ,guys? I see myself rolling a lot more with massive group encounters.
You just get totally raped when there are more than 3 people piling on you.

Used more signs than i ever did with TW1. >.>
The trap is also very useful.

i still need to download the remaining 30 percent of the Witcher 2 on Direct2Drive.. i stopped it and went to bed last night.. hows the game though? are you guys enjoying it

Tokubetsu

Kyaw said:
Any tips on the combat ,guys? I see myself rolling a lot more with massive group encounters.
You just get totally raped when there are more than 3 people piling on you.

Used more signs than i ever did with TW1. >.>
The trap is also very useful.

Yea, pretty much you want to be rolling constantly. Block only when you're facing two or so enemies. Otherwise roll and abuse the living shit out of signs.

LiK

thetrin said:

is the tip of your bust's nose broken? i think mine is. really shoddy packaging for such a heavy item

LiK said:
is the tip of your bust's nose broken? i think mine is. really shoddy packaging for such a heavy item

The very top of mine's left ear is gone, and scuff marks mostly on the right side where it must have chafed on packaging.

On another front, second installation solved my activation difficulties. I am currently downloading DLC, fingers crossed that game will actually launch.

LiK

SerArthurDayne said:
The very top of mine's left ear is gone, and scuff marks mostly on the right side where it must have chafed on packaging.

On another front, second installation solved my activation difficulties. I am currently downloading DLC, fingers crossed that game will actually launch.

ouch, wth were they thinking?

also, was the inside all full of black charcoal-like dust? i had to wipe off all the contents. i think the broken felt or something caused it. really disappointed. the artbook, coin and dice are damn cool but the bust was a big fuck up.

gonna see if i have any trouble installing the game.

LiK

Dityrink said:
U9W7C.png

ROFL, i got the same error, wtf

Acosta

Hearing the CE stories is depressing me :( (however, the think I care the most aside of the game is the artbook, so no big problem if it arrives broken, but it would be a shame.)

LiK

yea, if i can't find a fix soon, might just return the whole thing. should've gotten it on GoG instead.

i actually got 500 error on the official site, lol. prolly tons of people going through the same issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom