• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

Technosteve said:
not liking the chances you guys are having with the retail copy =( just bought my from worstbuy

try installing it tonight and see what happens. this is ridiculous.

elwes

Note to self: Playing The Witcher 2 right before going to sleep elicits crazy, unsettling dreams. It felt like a mix between TW2 and Skyrim.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
DSN2K said:
2 questions

hows the 360 Pad support ? and hows the game running on a 5770 from whoever owns one ?

Native 360 pad support, turn on GAMEPAD controls in the menu, and every icon that shows up will reflect the 360 pad buttons. Kinda like in Mafia 2, only you have to choose gamepad manually from the menu.

I can't answer that second question, but I have a Core 2 Duo and a 9800GTX, and I decided to turn the resolution down to 1280*720, so that I can put it on HIGH quality settings. Getting between 25-40 fps. I just pretend the low resolution is a grain filter, to make it look more like a movie. :D

Lime

The textures in this game: WOOOOW. Truly amazing.

I am loving so much about this game. If everything continues as well as it has done so far, this game is GOTY contender along with Shogun 2.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Finally got it downloaded, game is absolutely gorgeous and I love how it imports items from the first but unlike other games they aren't (or the ones I had) ridiculously overpowered.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Wait...wait, am I doing something wrong?

I'm playing on easy and I just want to destroy a nekker nest ( without the game telling me how ._: even though I'm standing on top of the bloody thing ) but a nekker warrior will 1 shot me pretty much 100% of the time if I get close to him.

? :(

Djin1979

Dityrink said:
Got the retail version and getting this error a few seconds after it starts to install, anyone get this problem and have a fix for it?
U9W7C.png

Maybe you can try to fix the files, copy the disks on the HDD and fix them with QuickPar then relaunch the installation. http://www.quickpar.org.uk/

Exuro said:
For anyone that's done the Fight Club quest...

Where do I get my gear back?

There is a chest next to the entrance of loredo's house (with two solider guarding it)

Wait...wait, am I doing something wrong?

I'm playing on easy and I just want to destroy a nekker nest ( without the game telling me how ._: even though I'm standing on top of the bloody thing ) but a nekker warrior will 1 shot me pretty much 100% of the time if I get close to him.

? :(

You must blow the nest with a bomb, craft 4 grapeshot bombs in order to destroy the nests

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I was reading the FAQ and it said if you turn the texture memory to high then it may cause freezes but it helps streaming. Maybe this is part of my issue.

I think fraps embeds into the GPU ram no? I really don't know how the program works as it wraps itself around a game but I got less freezing with it off. Will only use it for screens from now on.

LiK

looks like the official support page says i should just copy the contents to HDD to install from. wish me luck.

edit: data2.bin getting error. ugh

LiK said:
looks like the official support page says i should just copy the contents to HDD to install from. wish me luck.

edit: data2.bin getting error. ugh

Nice to know I'm not the only one having this fucked up problem. Any Official Response to this yet cause their "fixes" aren't shit? Waiting all day at work to come home and play this and then...

LiquidMetal14

Riposte said:
How buggy is this game?
Doesn't seem as buggy to me except my freezing issue. Closing fraps helped that but I still got 1 freeze. I think it may be memory related but I'm not 100% sure yet.

LiK

Str0ngStyle said:
Nice to know I'm not the only one having this fucked up problem. Any Official Response to this yet cause their "fixes" aren't shit? Waiting all day at work to come home and play this and then...

none so far. funny thing is tons of questions about the install is popping up in yahoo answers and other similar sites but no answers in them either.

i tried the fix they have on their offcial support but it doesn't work and they have no forums to post in. i emailed them so i hope i get a response soon. if i don't, gonna return this shit and go digitial.

wish i bought from GOG during their preorder promotion now...

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Has anyone gotten far enough to figure out what the lures are for?

There has been some speculation about fishing, which would be amazing, but maybe it's just for monsters or something.

also, goddamn not even halfway done with today's work, I wanna play so bad ;_;

LiquidMetal14

Technosteve said:
I should of just bought this on steam I can't even type in my activation key. I press buttons but nothing happens weeeeeeeeeee
The 0's are actually O's btw. The typing is buggy but you get it right in the first screen it will work.

Snuggler said:
Has anyone gotten far enough to figure out what the lures are for?

There has been some speculation about fishing, which would be amazing, but maybe it's just for monsters or something.

also, goddamn not even halfway done with today's work, I wanna play so bad ;_;
It not only gets better but just keeps looking more amazing.

Deadly

Is there any advantages/disadvantages from other weapons? Like say the dagger attacks faster/crits more or the axe attacks slower/does more damage? Or is it all the same except what's written (bleeding and whatnot)?

Hawk269

Technosteve said:
I can't type in my cdkey to activate oh poland so close yet so farrrrrrrrrrr

Is it acting like your keyboard is not working...is it just sitting on the screen and no matter waht you press, nothing appears in the boxes to type in your code?

Lime

Is there a way to temporarily disable the HUD (e.g. a hotkey or a config file)? I want to traverse the world without gamey elements clogging up the screen whenever I take screenshots.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
So can anyone tell me how to finish this damned Mystic River quest I have gone everywhere 5 times over now and cannot for the life of me find this second god dammed boat. Also it seems if youre at the very end of chap 1 and you havent started the dice quest you cant finish cause the 4th of 5 people you have to play has completely disappeared from the world on me. If not then thats just another bug for me.

The game has been fantastic but a bit buggy, I dont care for the inventory system sorting of items most especially craftables cause its way harder to know what type youre missing and what not. As well at least 5 times now Ive been frozen in one spot or stuck in cover and had to save and reload to fix it. Speaking of saves damn CD Projekt and their saving system. After going through the Prologue and 95% of chap 1 I had over 200 saves totaling nearly 2 gigs. Its obscene.

Exuro

Holy crap this quest Malena.

There's a billion nekkers in this cave. Going to go get some conflag traps and see if that helps.

Question about going from Prologue to Chapter 1:

In the Prologue, my Raven armor had four slots for enhancements and I even added two to it but now in Chapter 1 it only has three slots and the previous enhancements are gone. Anyone know why this is?

LiquidMetal14 said:
The 0's are actually O's btw. The typing is buggy but you get it right in the first screen it will work.

It not only gets better but just keeps looking more amazing.

TxT doesn't even show up on the cursor i type nothing show up even used the on screen keyboard and nothing happens.

Hawk269 said:
Is it acting like your keyboard is not working...is it just sitting on the screen and no matter waht you press, nothing appears in the boxes to type in your code?

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS RAGE =(

syoaran

Thanks for the advice to switch download servers, switched to an LA one at its going at a bout 800kbs. Not fast but at least it will be done when I wake up here in the UK...

Kaldea

striKeVillain! said:
Hmm... entering the activation code does nothing but close the program down. Looks like I'm caught in the maintenance break?
I'm having this problem too. Not sure how to fix it. :/

Vaporak

Hey how do you get the downloaded savegames working? I DL'd one of the ones in the OP and TW2 says there's no save to import. :(

jackdoe

Haha. I'm about to throw in the towel with regards to installing the retail copy. Such a massive pain in the ass and a wasted two hours. Oh well, when I finally get it to work, one way or another, I'll probably forget about it. Now, I just have to wait for some kind of fix.

http://www.thegx.co/news/1270/bioware-employee-reviews-witcher-ii/

Bioware employee reviews the Witcher 2

CD Project releases another misogynistic jaunt into the Mary Sue world of 'the witcher.' There is hardly anything of substance to recommend this train wreck to a discerning connoisseur of RPGs. Every element of its design can be described as 'embarassingly awkward.' Animation, art direction, dialogue, writing, combat. It's a list of sad mediocrities as long as your arm. The fact of the setting and characters being a shameless copy of Michael **** classic Elric of Melniboné series aside, the game itself behaves like a confused child. Does it want to be a brawler with peripheral RPG elements? Or an action RPG with brawler combat? In either situation the designers have failed to deliver on both satisfying combat or a compelling story that ever rises above the juvenile. Look to the masters at BioWare with their latest RPG epic, Dragon Age 2, for inspiration in your future games, CD Project. You certainly won't find it making shallow sex simulators based on plagiarized fantasy novels.

lmao is this real?

3. I cannot enter anything into the Product Activation Code fieldup
Such a situation may occur if a non-default text size (DPI) is used. In this case please restore the default size (100%). Find the instructions on how to change the text size in this link.

trying this now lowering dpi FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU i hate thissssssssss fucking shit STEAM I'M SORRY I SHOULD OF PURCHASED FROM YOu

Downloaded overnight and played about 2 hours this morning before work, and managed to get to the end of the prologue.

AMAZING

I'm only playing on high and it's easily the best looking game I've ever seen. I can't wait to grab a second 460GTX and get some SLI ultra going. All of the things which annoyed me about the first game, which I had assumed were inherited from the Infinity Engine given that they're in every Bioware game using it too, are gone. No more shitty looting, clunky speech menus and weird interactions with NPCs to get stuff to happen (i.e. the fucking ferryman).

Combat is intense and awesome. I'm playing on hard so it can be a little unforgiving, but when you take down a group of 6 guys including a couple with shields or heavy armour it's really satisfying. I actually like the meditate to take potions change and I have a feeling that not being able to quaff a potion in combat when you get hurt will make late-game encounters much more interesting

Playing on a pad is perfect too, although they should have increased the size of the interactive areas around items and doors for the less-precise camera. I'm not sure about why people are complaining that it's really hard, it's tough but fair. You need to play it like Batman: AA where movement is more important than attacks. Also the sword damage is much more realistic than the first game, most human enemies just need a one-two punch where you hit them with fast then follow up with heavy and they're down.

So yeah... this is the real deal. And now I have to go to work ;_;

Tokubetsu

mercenar1e said:

CD Project releases another misogynistic jaunt into the Mary Sue world of 'the witcher.' There is hardly anything of substance to recommend this train wreck to a discerning connoisseur of RPGs. Every element of its design can be described as 'embarassingly awkward.' Animation, art direction, dialogue, writing, combat. It's a list of sad mediocrities as long as your arm. The fact of the setting and characters being a shameless copy of Michael **** classic Elric of Melniboné series aside, the game itself behaves like a confused child. Does it want to be a brawler with peripheral RPG elements? Or an action RPG with brawler combat? In either situation the designers have failed to deliver on both satisfying combat or a compelling story that ever rises above the juvenile. Look to the masters at BioWare with their latest RPG epic, Dragon Age 2, for inspiration in your future games, CD Project. You certainly won't find it making shallow sex simulators based on plagiarized fantasy novels.

lmao is this real?

He mad as fuck.

1080p on my 4890 is pretty god damn serviceable. running on high with textures at very high. No aa or ssao because i am Comfy couching this shit.

larvi

Technosteve said:
TxT doesn't even show up on the cursor i type nothing show up even used the on screen keyboard and nothing happens.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS RAGE =(

Per the FAQ that could be due to the DPI setting on your computer:

3. I cannot enter anything into the Product Activation Code field
up
Such a situation may occur if a non-default text size (DPI) is used. In this case please restore the default size (100%). Find the instructions on how to change the text size in this link.

If these problems occur, please return to the standard text size.
Windows XP
Rightclick on the desktop -> Select Properties -> Choose Display Settings
Click Advanced.
In General tab in DPI setting menu select Normal size (96 DPI)

Windows Vista/7
Open menu Start -> Go to the Control Panel -> Then to Appearance and Personalization - Display Settings.
From text size options select Smaller - 100% (default)
Save the changes

This seems to be a problem with quite a few games nowadays, not sure why devs can't figure out the text size and adapt to it. My eyes can't take smaller fonts and LCD monitors don't work well at lower resolutions unlike CRT monitors.

mercenar1e said:

lmao is this real?
An incredible irony in that last sentence.

I just finished making the Geralt papercraft as the game installs. Never again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom