• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeliard

TheVampire said:
Does anyone have any problems with blocking?

I'll be in the middle of a fight and I'll goto block and press the button for it but alot of the times nothing happens!

Im there yelling out "BLOCK YOU IDIOT!" but he wont and it only works some times but usually allways when im just walking around but combat is the problem.

Yeah I stay away from blocking for now. It's particularly useless in the early going with no upgrades since you have Quen. Parrying can be slow, unresponsive and it will just get you surrounded and hit from all sides, since blocking leaves you immobile. It's a much better idea, at least in my experience, to roll around and to generally not stop moving much.

Parrying also sucks up vigor, unlike rolling (as far as I can tell), which just makes it worse. The more you block the fewer Signs you can use, and to me it isn't worth the trade-off in the least bit.

Zeliard said:
Yeah I stay away from blocking for now. It's particularly useless in the early going with no upgrades since you have Quen. Parrying can be slow, unresponsive and it will just get you surrounded and hit from all sides, since blocking leaves you immobile. It's a much better idea, at least in my experience, to roll around and to generally not stop moving much.
Using Quen is always the best option because its so broken otherwise it depends on encounters and how you play. You can just pick off the weaker enemies first since they don't block your attacks and then start working on the bigger enemies who have shields or block then parry their attack to leave them open and get your own hits in. Rolling is very safe and gets you out of trouble but I doesn't help you get your own attacks in like blocking does.

It's still a good idea to block, here is why (from the manual)

3.2.2 Blocking and counterattacking
When you’re fighting a strong enemy, or one equipped with a shield, it’s a good idea
to block his blows. Parrying an enemy’s blow successfully strikes him off balance,
making it easier to attack him. You block by pressing the E key. Vigor points are
necessary to block.

After getting the Riposte skill, you will be able to effectively impressively counter
enemy attacks. You begin the counterattack with your block up (holding the E key)
– when an opponent will try to land a blow on you, the icon on his body will turn into
a sword icon for a moment, signifying the best opportunity to counterattack. At this
point you should press LMB and Geralt will make a dodge and a dynamic riposte.

Zeliard

When it comes to getting the enemy off-balance and open for attack, I just use Yrgen.

Blocking is an option when you're facing just one or two guys, but most of the time you're fighting groups, and it's generally not a good idea to be still for too long.

Parrying does become much more useful with upgrades, though. There's one talent that makes it block attacks from all sides, and the second level of that talent mitigates 100% of damage. You get those two talents and parrying becomes significantly more effective, not to mention adding the riposte skill and such to it later on.

Lostconfused said:
Rolling is very safe and gets you out of trouble but I doesn't help you get your own attacks in like blocking does.

I think it does, though. I frequently use rolling not just to get out of the way of attacks, but also to get behind enemies (where Geralt will do a more damaging backstab motion with his first strike). I play a lot like I do in Demon's Souls - wait for the enemy to take a swing, and use his subsequent whiff and reset as my opening to attack.

LMAO!!!

Assassins Creed Easter Egg, hes lying face down dead in the all white robe and hood (apparently he tried scaling the castle walls) after your given the task to take down the archers above the castle wall ahahaha.. geralt "mhmm.. i guess they'll never learn"

Exuro

I've been playing chapter 1 for a while now and am disappointed in the lack of wenches. Where are they? Also there doesn't seem to be alcoholic beverages.

robotrock

Banned
Has anybody made the paper craft yet? I am having a really difficult time. The instructions basically say 1.Fold 2.Put together 3.Enjoy. Not very helpful.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
People in the prologue still:unlock the parry from all sides skill ASAP. It makes combat a lot easier. Also, use signs!

Dmax3901

In the Prologue:
Whereabouts do you get all your armour/weapons back after breaking out of jail, not sure if I've missed it or not.

Tokubetsu

thetrin said:
People in the prologue still:unlock the parry from all sides skill ASAP. It makes combat a lot easier. Also, use signs!

Pretty much all the abilities in that tree are useful/worth it.

Side Note: IS there anyway to cast signs without drawing your sword?

still playing the prologue, this is the most epic prologue ever and the combat is fucking enjoyable. the enemies attack like from Japanese games you can't stop their animation or your fucked and they have patterns.

Game looks fucking Amazing i don't know how they got the loading to be so fast it's like magic.

thetrin said:

lol I just beat the prologue and I still haven't leveled up any of my stats. Do I do this in the meditation mode like the previous game?

Okay I better read the manual, the interface is totally different and I'm too stupid to adjust right now.

RedSwirl

Okay so guys. Just answer me one question about TW2: Does this game forcibly sit you down and inundate you with mandatory tutorials, loading screen hints, glowing icons, and repeat every warning about an enemy or boss three times to jam it into your thick ADHD skull?

I realized that the main reason I'm still enjoying TW1 right now is because it's one of the most playable things I've experienced in a while. It doesn't get in the way of me, y'know, actually playing the game.

Solo

My first "like a boss" moment in The Witcher 2: defeating that twit in the prologue mano-a-mano combat on top of the tower, and having his entire cavalry drop their swords after I beat him rather than die at my hand.

So good.

Zeliard

RedSwirl said:
Okay so guys. Just answer me one question about TW2: Does this game forcibly sit you down and inundate you with mandatory tutorials, loading screen hints, glowing icons, and repeat every warning about an enemy or boss three times to jam it into your thick ADHD skull?

I realized that the main reason I'm still enjoying TW1 right now is because it's one of the most playable things I've experienced in a while. It doesn't get in the way of me, y'know, actually playing the game.

There are tutorial prompts but beyond that, not really.

Hell some people have been complaining that the game isn't up-front enough with some things, with the game's manual actually being useful. And the game starts you off with combat you can easily die at, especially on Hard difficulty. We're not talking about something that holds your hand here. :p

RedSwirl said:

some little tutorial boxes pop up from time to time at the start but none of it is intrusive (it's pretty minimal). You'll like it.

Blizzard

Banned
Two questions.

1. Why are there an extra gig of English voice-overs? I'm downloading them via the launcher but why weren't they there to begin with? Are they different from normal voiceovers?

2. Why is there an extra pack for English subtitles? Perhaps more importantly, why does this just retry over and over to download the 4MB or so pack? The Troll Trouble pack downloaded with no problems, but the subtitles one keeps retrying forever.

Zeliard

Solo said:
My first "like a boss" moment in The Witcher 2: defeating that twit in the prologue mano-a-mano combat on top of the tower, and having his entire cavalry drop their swords after I beat him rather than die at my hand.

So good.

Anyone pick another option here? Are you able to basically fight all those guys, or bypass the battle altogether?

purg3

slept with Malkin
RedSwirl said:

very minimal, I actually had to open the pdf manual because I guess I missed a few basic things, if that's anything to go by.

Dmax3901

Ok screw the spoiler tags, ain't that much of a spoiler.

When you break out of jail, where do you get your gear back from? Is there a chest or something? Can't find it for the life of me.

Solo

Yeah, if anything, the game doesn't give you enough direction at the start :lol

I had to check out the PDF to figure out some shit.

Sober

Zeliard said:
Anyone pick another option here? Are you able to basically fight all those guys, or bypass the battle altogether?
I just convinced him to lay his sword down and everyone else followed suit. Fight avoided!

Dmax3901 said:
Ok screw the spoiler tags, ain't that much of a spoiler.

When you break out of jail, where do you get your gear back from? Is there a chest or something? Can't find it for the life of me.
There isn't one, but you get all your gear back in Act 1 anyways.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Sober said:
I just convinced him to lay his sword down and everyone else followed suit. Fight avoided!

It looked like I had the option to do that but I didn't like his tone so I took the little shit down.

Tokubetsu

RedSwirl said:

As people have said, it's pretty much the opposite. Game doesn't baby you whatsoever. You will be almost completely lost if you don't take the time to read the journal or the pop-ups. You're going to die a lot on normal.

Sober

Zeliard said:
Nice. I couldn't resist seeing if the guy had the balls to face me without his men.
To be fair, I popped a Swallow just in case I was forced to fight, but phew, thank god I avoided that. (The courtyard fight however, GOD I spent like 40 minutes on that)

Dmax3901 said:

That signals the end of the prologue. You'll have all your gear back at the start of chapter 1.

RedSwirl

Zeliard said:
There are tutorial prompts but beyond that, not really.

Hell some people have been complaining that the game isn't up-front enough with some things, with the game's manual actually being useful. And the game starts you off with combat you can easily die at, especially on Hard difficulty. We're not talking about something that holds your hand here. :p

See, TW1 probably had exactly the right amount of direction. There were tutorial prompts for each of the game's mechanics, but they only showed up the very first time you did those things, and then never again. Like, this game knows from the first time you mix a potion, that you probably know how to mix potions right?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Discotheque said:
lol I just beat the prologue and I still haven't leveled up any of my stats. Do I do this in the meditation mode like the previous game?

Okay I better read the manual, the interface is totally different and I'm too stupid to adjust right now.

Hit C to bring up the skill tree.

Any spoiler-free gameplay impressions? I'm picking this up after LA Noire, but I'm curious if there's any major differences in the quest structure or pacing. I know they said players would be visiting a lot more locations and the scale would be more epic. I realize the game just came out, but is there more of a globe-trotting feel to this so to speak as opposed the first game where a large portion of the first half took place in two to three places. My last question is how are the quests and is there more emphasis on the central plot than the first. My only real complaints with the first were the amount of fetch-like quests and the somewhat slow burn for the main story. Not that that's a bad thing, the first did a really good job of establishing all the factions in the while slowly tying all the intertwined plot points together, but I sometimes found the main plot, mainly in the first half of the game, took a back seat to all of the various sidequests.

Discotheque said:
Whaat?! the dude didn't die? I have a feeling that will be pretty important later on down the road.

It's a pretty big deal, you'll notice a direct effect in the next hour or so.

That said I slew that fool.

Zeal

Banned
holy fucking balls at these graphics, man. anyway, running on high 1080p on my GTX 460 1gig. everything seems very smooth, to be honest. rest of my setup is just a wolfdale core 2 duo and 4gigs. no errors, no problems.

whoever said the combat feels like a faster demon's souls is right. fun as hell, and you really feel the blows.

Tokubetsu

toasty_T said:
It's a pretty big deal, you'll notice a direct effect in the next hour or so.

That said I slew that fool.

A friend of mine didn't kill him but
said he ended up killing himself
. He didn't tell me how he got that though.

Question still stands. Anyway to cast signs without drawing swords?

Zeliard

Only thing I wish is that the lock-on kept you facing your enemy, like in pretty much every game of the sort with a lock-on (including Demon's Souls, which the more I play Witcher 2, the more the influence seems evident).

RedSwirl said:
See, TW1 probably had exactly the right amount of direction. There were tutorial prompts for each of the game's mechanics, but they only showed up the very first time you did those things, and then never again. Like, this game knows from the first time you mix a potion, that you probably know how to mix potions right?

Yeah pretty much. TW2 also seems to stagger the tutorials throughout the first few hours more so I think that's also what may be getting some people confused with certain aspects. But generally the tutorial section of TW2's Journal seems more detailed than in the first, so ultimately I think you are getting a lot of that information in-game. It just takes a while to give it all to you.

purg3

slept with Malkin
taking a quick break. currently 5hrs in and enjoying every minute. spending a lot of time just exploring every little nook and cranny, and just getting completely lost in the game world. really fantastic stuff. i'm hooked.

Blizzard

Banned
Blizzard said:
Two questions.

1. Why are there an extra gig of English voice-overs? I'm downloading them via the launcher but why weren't they there to begin with? Are they different from normal voiceovers?

2. Why is there an extra pack for English subtitles? Perhaps more importantly, why does this just retry over and over to download the 4MB or so pack? The Troll Trouble pack downloaded with no problems, but the subtitles one keeps retrying forever.
I got mixed results from trying to google for a solution. I have a bad feeling that the game doesn't need the extra packs installed since it's already in English, but if so it's pretty weird to show English subtitles and voiceovers as "DLC" and do an infinite redownload loop of a gig each cycle, for something that's not needed. =\

Aurarian

Went to Gamestop to pick this up and managed to come out with an LE for the price of the regular edition. Apparently some people didn't pick it up or they ran out of the regulars?

Discotheque said:
some little tutorial boxes pop up from time to time at the start but none of it is intrusive (it's pretty minimal). You'll like it.
I wish the tip boxes stayed up longer. I've had to go into the journal to look at the tips again because I missed the last part of one which is usually the most important part.

Deadly

I haven't progressed in the past like 4 hours because I keep encountering enemies and dieing before I can save. I'm going to cryyy =(

Zeliard

Deadly said:
I haven't progressed in the past like 4 hours because I keep encountering enemies and dieing before I can save. I'm going to cryyy =(

F5 is your friend :p

I habitually stomp on that button

WTF I don't remember the original game being so confusing. Graphics a horrible stuttering mess thanks to poor optimization. Loads of symbols that presumably do cool stuff but have no obvious explanation. On screen hints that are pointless and obvious.

Ok a game has never done this to my steam before, but on trying to launch it just now, TW2 just completely fubar'd up Steam and I had to force quit the client, overlay, and something else and I have to restart my pc. It just hung on the load process right after you click "play"

Can someone quickly tell me what the benefit of loading a Witcher 1 save is? I also can't figure out where I need to put the save file so the game reads it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom