• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Hellsing321 said:
I wish the tip boxes stayed up longer. I've had to go into the journal to look at the tips again because I missed the last part of one which is usually the most important part.

I wish they were bigger, too.

Playing on my HTPC.

Hari Seldon

Holy shit I can't get passed the part in the Prologue where you have to get to the Balista and get past like 10 guys. Is combat easier with a 360 controller? Any tips?

Also how and the hell do you use potions? I keep trying to drag them to my pockets but they won't go there. I can't use them from the inventory either. The game needs a better tutorial.

Deadly

Zeliard said:
F5 is your friend :p

I habitually stomp on that button
I know, I try to but I'm too reliant on autosave from like Fallout where it basically saves all the time for you :lol. Oh I just died again too.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Hari Seldon said:
Holy shit I can't get passed the part in the Prologue where you have to get to the Balista and get past like 10 guys. Is combat easier with a 360 controller? Any tips?

Also how and the hell do you use potions? I keep trying to drag them to my pockets but they won't go there. I can't use them from the inventory either. The game needs a better tutorial.
Click the center button in the sign menu (Ctrl) to meditate, and then drink a potion.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Hari Seldon said:

A lot of people have found success using Quen.

Can only use potions when meditating now (they tell you this a little later in a tutorial).

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Can someone quickly tell me what the benefit of loading a Witcher 1 save is? I also can't figure out where I need to put the save file so the game reads it...
So far, I've been able to import some items such as the Raven armor, and it carries over decisions like
whether Adda is alive or not

My TW1 saves were located in documents > The Witcher > saves, perhaps if you make a folder with that naming structure TW2 will recognize 'em.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Hari Seldon said:

you have to go into meditation to use a potion (ctrl) before battle and select use mixtures option, you can then drag your potion into the open spot and use it

Zeliard

Hari Seldon said:

Try using the traps you should have. I forget what they're called. They explode and do some good damage to enemies when they trigger it, with a slight AOE. They're quite powerful and you can salvage them afterwards.

Also use your Quen sign for a defense boost.

Hari Seldon said:

You have to be out of combat and meditating to use potions. Hit CTRL, hit that center symbol, then you'll get a menu where you can drink pots, do some alchemy, level up, or rest (resting also removes potion effects if you need to get rid of something like Cat).

The combat is excellent with the perfect amount of depth. I think blocking is actually really useful; having them stagger back afterward leaves them completely vulnerable. The coolest thing I've noticed is that when you tap forward (for me on the left stick) and press attack in a repeated rythm, you'll do chain attacks that are much more fluid and effective than just holding forward while attacking.

This game is awesome.

edit: oh, and question: how do you use armor enhancements? The inventory is kind of weird on the controller; when I select the enhancement it says I can't use it on "this item", yet I haven't selected an item.

Luthos

Where I am at the end of the prologue:
I just got to the part where I'm gonna escape from the shackles, like they showed in all the preview vids a while back.

This game is AMAZING. It runs surprisingly well on my system, no drops during the hectic combat situations. And it's just... I don't know, it's a step up from the first in about every way so far. The presentation is loads better. Graphics are obviously top notch. Battle music is cool, and the combat system is like a medieval Batman: Arkham Asylum. And the difficulty on medium is even pretty decent. So god knows what hard and insane will be like.

I am loving it so far. It's really too early to rank it, but it could become a top 10 RPG of all time for me, or possibly even top 5.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Has anyone who was getting the error with a physical disc copy get it to work?

for me, gog.com was the "solution". I replaced the disks at the store and didnt help.

You could copy to another computer it may work on a different drive. then you can copy the files across, but u need file system handling 8GB file or something to handle that.

Zeliard

AllIsOneIsNone said:
The combat is excellent with the perfect amount of depth. I think blocking is actually really useful; having them stagger back afterward leaves them completely vulnerable. The coolest thing I've noticed is that when you tap forward (for me on the left stick) and press attack in a repeated rythm, you'll do chain attacks that are much more fluid and effective than just holding forward while attacking.

This game is awesome.

Also linking between weak and strong attacks seems to create more fluid motions as well. Someone earlier was saying you can dismember if you finish the person off with a strong attack but I haven't messed with that yet.

Luthos

Zeliard said:
Also linking between weak and strong attacks seems to create more fluid motions as well. Someone earlier was saying you can dismember if you finish the person off with a strong attack but I haven't messed with that yet.
Yea you can. I have chopped off some guys' arms so far.

Damn I absolutely love this game... I even got up early today to get an hour in before I came to work.

I'm simply absolutely loving the combat.

When you get to the first village the game really opens up greatly.

It's one of those games where I look forward to the combat and the combat is not a grind, when that happens I know I'm going to be in for a hell of an experience.

I just love everything about everything. I know a few people are not happy with some things like the menu system or the combat or the quick spell select and the meditating for potions and things, but honestly to me, it's all done almost perfectly - it's almost like the perfect RPG and it easily out classes everything else out there by a LONG LONG way. It isn't quite perfect, but it almost is - personally I don't have any way to fault it yet and I'm playing on normal and I NEARLY feel like I wish I was playing on Hard now.

I kind of wish that I didn't have a weight limit to what I could carry, I haven't figured out if there is somewhere for me to deposit or store items yet, I really hope there is because by the end of the game it's going to become hard to manage that limited space (anyone got any clues about this?)

Either way... I adore this game. Can't believe I'm getting the performance that I am with Crossfire disabled! It really is an amazing feat of development.

I'm going to pick up LA Noire tomorrow when it comes out in Aus Land (unless I can manage to ninja a copy today some how - I'm trying to desperately to find someone who will break for me) and I know that I need to put down Witcher until there has been a couple of updates and they've released a Crossfire Profile so I can play it in it's absolute and full glory, but it's definitely going to be hard to put down.

This is a spoiler about the transition from the prologue to chapter 1
Does anyone know if you kept your items from the prologue into Chapter 1, as in - everything you collected in the prologue you get back when u get out of prison? I think I did but I'm not totally sure... If I didn't it is a pain in the arse because I spent a lot of time ensuring that I collected absolutely everything in the prologue

I've only JUST scratched the surface of Chapter 1 so far, I'm very keen to see how the narrative plays out now (considering I didn't play through all of Witcher 1 this is all mainly new for me and to be honest, I think this is the best way to play this game - it's definitely not a negative). I am able to just screw around and just do as I please, take my time and do all of the side quests and every little thing that I feel like right?

Zeliard said:
Also linking between fast and strong attacks seems to create more fluid motions as well. Someone earlier was saying you can dismember if you finish the person off with a strong attack but I haven't messed with that yet.

Yep, I think it dismembers them if your strong attack is the final blow, but I think it may have to be the 2nd or 3rd successive hit.

This game is basically Demon Souls with a really compelling story. Finishing up chapter 1 and I'm soaking up all the lore! I haven't done that in a game that I can remember. I love the dialogue so far. It's so different from Bware, it's really refreshing.

Thing's I like:
*Controller Support- It's perfect
*Graphics- Hot damn in chapter 1 I came out of a cave after a bit and it was raining. Just incredible
*Story- So far I'm really into it, I usually skip dialogue in games but I like this.
*Combat- Once I started to use signs and mix up my heavy and light attacks everything clicked. Because of the difficulty the game forces you to use your entire arsenal, which is only a good thing. To many times in games I just boost the one skill and use that for the rest of the game.
*Bug Free(So Far)- Such a huge game and I've not encountered one single graphical or physics based glitch. Quite a feat.

Things I dislike:
Besides that one error I had, nothing to report.

Also really sorry for folks having problems playing the game my install/gameplay couldn't be smoother. (i5 2500k 3.3 570 GTX). Only problem I had is the witcher logo would pop up and not play. Downloaded Nvidia's beta driver rebooted and all was well.

sflufan said:
I have a feeling that CDP is going to be placing a very nasty call to Atari tomorrow regarding the issues with the DVDs.
If they are too humble, I will do it for them. Blame it on the asshole American if you have to, but this shit cannot stand

WEGGLES

sflufan said:
I have a feeling that CDP is going to be placing a very nasty call to Atari tomorrow regarding the issues with the DVDs.
Hmm

I don't intend to play until I finish the first one, but perhaps I should install my copy to be sure...

Edit: Wait is it only the CE, not the $49.99 version? I'm only skimming the thread to avoid spoilers.

Luthos said:
Where I am:
After your first meeting with the Kingslayer, and I just got to the part where I'm gonna escape from the shackles, like they showed in all the preview vids a while back.

Dude that is a really CRAPPY way of marking a spoiler.

How is anyone supposed to know what the hell is in your spoiler tags, at least give some sort of description as to WHERE in the game you're up to as in

Where I am in Chapter 1 or whatever... Totally lame man.

Cat in the Hat said:
This game is basically Demon Souls with a really compelling story. Finishing up chapter 1 and I'm soaking up all the lore! I haven't done that in a game that I can remember. I love the dialogue so far. It's so different from Bware, it's really refreshing.

Thing's I like:
*Graphics- Hot damn in chapter 1 I came out of a cave after a bit and it was raining. Just incredible
*Story- So far I'm really into it, I usually skip dialogue in games but I like this.
*Combat- Once I started to use signs and mix up my heavy and light attacks everything clicked. Because of the difficulty the game forces you to use your entire arsenal, which is only a good thing. To many times in games I just boost the one skill and use that for the rest of the game.
*Bug Free(So Far)- Such a huge game and I've not encountered one single graphical or physics based glitch. Quite a feat.

Things I dislike:

Also really sorry for folks having problems playing the game my install/gameplay couldn't be smoother. (i5 2500k 3.3 570 GTX). Only problem I had is the witcher logo would pop up and not play. Downloaded Nvidia's beta driver rebooted and all was well.

This is a very good description that is in line exactly with how I feel about the game.

I haven't played Demon's Souls yet, but if this is the kind of difficulty / challenge that you can expect from Demon's Souls / Dark Souls then GOD DAMN am I amped for them and i'm disappointed with myself for taking so long to put that Demon's Souls disc that's been sitting at home for 6 months in my PS3. This type of combat challenge is fucking GLORIOUS, every fight is a challenge and you have to work, and use all of your arsenal (which is a good thing because it really feels like you've made an accomplishment when u defeat those 100 enemies rather than just steamrolling over them easily and feeling like an overpowered god like in other games).

GAH... can't stop gushing over this!

Cat in the Hat said:

Demon's souls was a less robust rpg, imo. At least from what I've seen so far, the mix between alchemy, magic/swordsman skills and armor/weapon upgrades greatly affect the combat dynamic.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I had to bump the game down to easy for one fight in the prologue. I feel so emasculated. :(

LOZLINK

Dunno if this has been posted, but heh
http://www.metacritic.com/user/MikeLaidlaw
Damn, i hate to say it, but CDR made a better game than i was able to with DA2. Witcher 2 is so much more immersive than any RPG of the last 5+ years. I hated DAO, hence DA2.. Anyway. The atmosphere, the character interactions, the "love scenes," and the combat are masterfully as well as artistically done. Much better than anything i've been able to do between DA2 and Jade Empire

Chiggs

Gold Member
thetrin said:
I had to bump the game down to easy for one fight in the prologue. I feel so emasculated. :(

You and me both, but I'm going to put it back on normal here in a moment.

AllIsOneIsNone said:
Demon's souls was a less robust rpg, imo. At least from what I've seen so far, the mix between alchemy, magic/swordsman skills and armor/weapon upgrades greatly affect the combat dynamic.
Oh for sure, I was being purposely vague because I don't know how else to describe the game to folks(too dumb).

Also I want to say to people doing this I really regret carrying my game save from the first. I carries over you gold which means I now have 24000 Orens. Kinda takes some of the fun out of looting.

Psi

Cat in the Hat said:

Thing's I like:

Things I dislike:

This mirror's my feelings but I've had zero problems/glitches with an i5 and a 5770. Love the feel on a 360 controller and I definitely get the Demon's Souls vibe from the combat, which is great. Glad to have bought this day 1.

Darkkn

This game is pretty off the charts as far as RPG:s go. Story is intriguing based on chapter 1 and dialogue is very refreshing after DA2. In fact, it feels like chapter 1 of Witcher 2 has more to it than whole of DA2.

Dem graphics! Engine probably isn't as advanced as crytek3 but it certainly looks way better than any other game. Perfect marriage of technology and artstyle. Atmosphere is amazing with changing time of day and weather effects etc. I Absolutely love the way clothing/armor looks in this game. Totally believable. Geralt looks like a badass warrior without having some stupid cliche over the top armor contraption and swords are actually sheathed and not just floating few inches from characters back.

Only nagging issues i have with the game is the fact that brining up menu often takes like 5sec to open and combat targeting is very fiddly(same with trying to loot shit after the battles).

mercenar1e said:
LMAO!!!

Assassins Creed Easter Egg, hes lying face down dead in the all white robe and hood (apparently he tried scaling the castle walls) after your given the task to take down the archers above the castle wall ahahaha.. geralt "mhmm.. i guess they'll never learn"

wtf, I thought that was just some random dead woman lol.

Animator

Psi said:
This mirror's my feelings but I've had zero problems/glitches with an i5 and a 5770. Love the feel on a 360 controller and I definitely get the Demon's Souls vibe from the combat, which is great. Glad to have bought this day 1.

Same here. It is already one of my favorite games of all time and I am only in chapter 1. The forest is the most impressive thing I have seen in a game. They have spent attention to every inch of the game and it shows.

Also loving the dialogue. It made me laugh multiple times.

I'm really amazed at how well the 360 controller implementation is, no doubt these guys want to port this game to the consoles down the line.

I honestly can't believe how good this game looks. Take whatever you see in pics and multiply it x100 when you see it running in person on Ultra.

How and where do I use Mutagens?!! My inventory is so full it's crazy and I feel like I should be able to use them but can't find anywhere on the char. screen to use them???? I'm level seven by the way? what skills can i use them on?? and for the love of god how?

by the way..

Best Game I've Played in a couple years.

I can't seem to import my saves into TW2. My saves are in the correct location (I think). I bought the first game on Steam, and TW2 on D2D. Is there another way to import them?

Cross-posted from Witcher 2 Technical thread:

CROSSFIRE USERS! Try this!

From nvnews forums:
Quote:
Radeon Pro with the Dirt 2 Crossfire profile forced and Alternate Frame Rendering enabled = Both of my cards working at 95%+ and my performance is great now!

WEGGLES said:
Hmm

I don't intend to play until I finish the first one, but perhaps I should install my copy to be sure...

Edit: Wait is it only the CE, not the $49.99 version? I'm only skimming the thread to avoid spoilers.

Both the CE and regular failed for me - I think their identical. I replaced my CE disks for identical regular edition looking ones, had same problem. ended up downloading from gog.com

Man the thing runs like a pig though so I hope you have a high end rig.

delirium

Johnny2Bags said:
How and where do I use Mutagens?!! My inventory is so full it's crazy and I feel like I should be able to use them but can't find anywhere on the char. screen to use them???? I'm level seven by the way? what skills can i use them on?? and for the love of god how?

by the way..

Best Game I've Played in a couple years.
Mutagens are attached to certain skills that have a small dot in them. I don't know if you can replace them.

Word to the wise, use quick saves constantly, there has been so many times I would get into a segment that would lead to combat and get decimated and have to redo it all over again.

BigBlackGamer said:
I'm really amazed at how well the 360 controller implementation is, no doubt these guys want to port this game to the consoles down the line.

I honestly can't believe how good this game looks. Take whatever you see in pics and multiply it x100 when you see it running in person on Ultra.
Do people really want to see what this is gonna look like on a 360? It's not gonna be pretty. This is a PC game through and through.

Lostconfused said:
The ballista part was worse. I had to repeat it six times, no joke, because I didn't tap the X button fast enough. And I had no idea what was going on because it looked like the bar filled up but then apparently I failed it because the soldiers wouldn't stop coming.

Only had to repeat the dragon part three times.

I just resorted to running away from the waves of enemies at the ballista and aggroing them one at a time. It was still really early in the game and I had no idea how to handle more than two enemies at a time. :(

Cat in the Hat said:
Do people really want to see what this is gonna look like on a 360? It's not gonna be pretty. This is a PC game through and through.

I don't care if it does get ported but you can tell at least with the controls they have everything nailed down for a console port.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Well, I think its safe to say that this game works better with a controller than it does a keyboard and mouse.

So long, CD Projekt. It was nice knowing you.

I'm only half-kidding.

BoobPhysics101 said:
Cross-posted from Witcher 2 Technical thread:

CROSSFIRE USERS! Try this!

From nvnews forums:
Quote:
Radeon Pro with the Dirt 2 Crossfire profile forced and Alternate Frame Rendering enabled = Both of my cards working at 95%+ and my performance is great now!

OOER look forward to try this when I get home now.

Anyone have any answer to my question about storage?

omgwtfbbq this game is amazing. It's leading the pack for GOTY and i've only been playing for just over an hour.

I've not even played through the first game, yet I don't feel I would enjoy W2 more than I am even if I had. The setup for this game is handled so well - no shitty ass decision making comic necessary, just a straightforward, self contained story, with a rich universe and backstory to further explore if you wish.

One thing that's really kicking my ass though is combat. It's awesome, but I am really tempted to drop the difficulty down to easy because even normal is approaching some Demon's Souls levels of trickery. Part of the problem is a) too many enemies and b) I have absolutely no clue how to equip or use potions (or even if I have any that will recover some health). As pretty as it is, I do think the navigation around the inventory screen and the way you equip items could be handled better.

Riposte

Okay, I am looking at using the saves in the OP. (I originally thought there was going to be a save creator. There still might be, I don't have my game yet.) I have some important questions to ask and the answers will probably be Witcher 1 spoilers, so hide/mark accordingly.

1. Generally speaking, how much does the romance and political choice matter? I don't want specifics, just give me something between "not at all" and "a whole lot".

2. How much do the small choices matter, if at all? Two potentially important optional deaths come to mind:
Berengar
(might be a glitch to prevent this death?) and
Adda

3. Does anyone know which of the smaller choices were made in these save files? Personally I prefer to have as many people alive as possible, since there is rarely ever a downside to that.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Question about an early side quest in Ch.1
the quest where you have to kill those little goblin looking guys out in the forest, how do you blow/destroy the entrances? I tried throwing a bomb at them and nothing happened. am I doing it wrong or is there a certain type of item to destroy them?

GhostRidah said:
Word to the wise, use quick saves constantly, there has been so many times I would get into a segment that would lead to combat and get decimated and have to redo it all over again.

How do you quick save with controller?

This game is so good with controller, perfectly suited to it.

Cat in the Hat said:
It will certainly have a better chance going from pc to 360 than the other way around. : P

I'm crazy envious with all these screenshots.

delirium said:
Mutagens are attached to certain skills that have a small dot in them. I don't know if you can replace them.

That's what I've heard but there are no skills i've seen yet that take them? am I missing something?? i've played a fair bit of the game (in chapter 1 bout halfway) can you please list one??

Gosh I feel dumb =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom