• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salaadin

GOG downloader seems pretty fast for me. I dont have the best connection in the world but its already at over 40% for a 9GB download. Seems faster than the other game download services Ive used, at least.

bengraven

So for Steam guys, are we going to have to actually right click to install at midnight or does something pop up or what?

First time I've preordered on Steam.

Vlodril

So i changed my location to Us and its 10 euro cheaper. Should i buy it like that or am i likely to have problems?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I really applaud CDP for making the regular boxed PC version so jam packed with stuff. Considering we live in an age where PC games come with a disc and a slip of paper with a code on it, it's so refreshing to see a regular version of the game coming with a map and more.

Hmm. Maybe I'll buy a digital copy on top of my physical CE.

thetrin said:
I really applaud CDP for making the regular boxed PC version so jam packed with stuff. Considering we live in an age where PC games come with a disc and a slip of paper with a code on it, it's so refreshing to see a regular version of the game coming with a map and more.
Yeah, I can't wait to get mine in!

Barberetti said:
I thought all versions were supposed to be DRM free, or am I remembering wrong?
Remembering wrong.

It's one of those things that often get twisted along the way. Company says they don't like DRM, so people assume their games won't have DRM. But they're not 100% in charge of the security for their game, the publishers are. So the game ends up with DRM.

Salaadin

I just realized the GOG downloader defaults to drive C:. WHen the download is finished, Can I just change the default directory and then copy/paste what I already downloaded over to the new directory without screwing anything up?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Minsc said:
At least you'll get to play with the early crowd though, GOG version pre-orders unlock a day early, on May 16th, at 5PM EST:

From the looks of it, we should have a decent number of people playing the game monday night, posting impressions and screens before the retail/steam release tuesday.

Fuuuuuck.... I'm going home early on May 16th, then.

Almighty

Its the GOG version for me. Though I am unable to decided what free game to pick as I already have Gothic 2 and Divine Divinity. So what would you guys recommend out of Realms of Arkania 1+2, Realms of Arkania 3, or Beyond Divinity?

thetrin said:

I'd buy a retail copy for that reason but I'm pretty sure CDP gets a bigger cut when buying on GOG... so that's out of the question.

Don't have money to throw around atm else I'd buy 2 copies, one for someone who isn't interested (but would be soon enough).

DangerStepp

My GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB should be able to hand this, eh? ...i7 rig with 6GB RAM.

The card has been pretty boss for the years that I've had it but have a hard time gauging whether or not it's old hat. If so, I'd like to look into SLI or getting a new GPU all together.

Minsc

Gold Member
Salaadin said:
I just realized the GOG downloader defaults to drive C:. WHen the download is finished, Can I just change the default directory and then copy/paste what I already downloaded over to the new directory without screwing anything up?

Yup, should be fine to move them wherever you want after they've downloaded, that's how it's always worked. They just all need to be in the same folder when you install the game, filenames left unchanged.

Zefah said:
Fuuuuuck.... I'm going home early on May 16th, then.

Watch them be like 45 minutes late, you'll see a swarm of angry forum goers. It is just a tiny file, so it should be fine, but who knows. I don't plan on checking it out until later that night, hopefully by then it's been up and all the frustration of waiting past the due time is over.

DangerStepp said:
My GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB should be able to hand this, eh? ...i7 rig with 6GB RAM.

The card has been pretty boss for the years that I've had it but have a hard time gauging whether or not it's old hat. If so, I'd like to look into SLI or getting a new GPU all together.

My guess would be a combination of medium/high, given the GPU is ~15% slower than the one in the recommended specs which is said to run high (high textures are probably out of the question without the recommended 1GB video ram).

Just bought this game on D2D for $33. Wanted to buy it through GOG but $33 is a great deal for such an awesome game. Next week is going to suck, waiting for this epic beast.

Yeah brought the game on GOG.com. I know that D2D is cheaper but with GOG CDProjekt gets ALL of the profits.

Picked Gothic II: Gold as my free game of choice as well.

Downloading now. Can't wait.

-Silver-

I know it only says that it supports the Xbox 360 controller but what are the chances of it supporting a PS3 one?

I just saw that Zavvi has the collector's edition for £65, 3 quid cheaper then Amazon which I have my preorder with, but Zavvi does say it contains the Finisher pack, WTH is that?

Ceebs

-Silver- said:
I know it only says that it supports the Xbox 360 controller but what are the chances of it supporting a PS3 one?

I just saw that Zavvi has the collector's edition for £65, 3 quid cheaper then Amazon which I have my preorder with, but Zavvi does say it contains the Finisher pack, WTH is that?
Install the Motionjoy drivers and check the box to emulate a 360 pad. Works for every game that supports the 360 pad.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
BoobPhysics101 said:
Just bought this game on D2D for $33. Wanted to buy it through GOG but $33 is a great deal for such an awesome game. Next week is going to suck, waiting for this epic beast.

I guess... if you're really strapped for cash or something, but it's only an $11 difference. Instead of supporting DRM-free and giving all of your money to CDProjekt and GOG.com, as well as getting a bunch of extra goodies and a bonus old game (assuming you didn't already have all of them), you are supporting good ol' Rupert Murdoch and his massive corporate entities.

Oh well, this thread doesn't need my hate.

Jay Shadow said:
Remembering wrong.

It's one of those things that often get twisted along the way. Company says they don't like DRM, so people assume their games won't have DRM. But they're not 100% in charge of the security for their game, the publishers are. So the game ends up with DRM.

Complistic said:
They did say they plan to patch out the DRM after release, like they did with Witcher 1.

Sounds good enough to me. Thanks guys.

Wessiej

Played it today @ work on a monsterpc, and damn it I only got 15/20 fps. You really need a monster-monster pc to run this thing. But I bought it inmediatly on gog.com. Can't wait to play it at home!

Minsc

Gold Member
-Silver- said:
II just saw that Zavvi has the collector's edition for £65, 3 quid cheaper then Amazon which I have my preorder with, but Zavvi does say it contains the Finisher pack, WTH is that?

Retailer specific DLC.

TW2 forums said:
Finisher Pack - available from thehut.com and GameStop (for Irish customers,) this pack features additional in-game finishing moves.

Mysterious Merchant - available from GAME and game.co.uk, this will make a dodgy dealer pop up in each chapter of the game to offer you items of a unique and dubious legal nature.

Ultimate Alchemy Suit - available through HMV and hmv.com, this fancy alchemy pack will extend the life of potions and increase output of in-game ingredients.

Ultimate Magical Suit - available via Play.com, this pack unsurprisingly increases the effectiveness of Geralt's magic 'signs' and enhances the new sixth sign.

Ultimate Swordsman Suit - available from Amazon.co.uk, this ... well, can you guess? Yep, it boosts your sword fighting stats and offers the chance of triggering 'rare effects' in combat.

There's also some Collector-exclusive DLC in this package: the "Roche Commando Jacket," which boosts Geralt's sword fighting abilities.

There's also an unspecified DLC available in the next issue of the polish gaming mag CD-Action which they claim it's not available anywhere else.

Not to mention the various exclusive content you get from buying it from Steam or GOG. Someone get their excel sheet out, this may give Dragon Age: Origins a run for the money.

I think I could do without any of the suits, since they just make the game easier, but the finisher pack and mysterious merchant selling unique and illegal equipment sound interesting.

Wessiej said:
Played it today @ work on a monsterpc, and damn it I only got 15/20 fps. You really need a monster-monster pc to run this thing. But I bought it inmediatly on gog.com. Can't wait to play it at home!

Were you playing on Ultra or something? It's been confirmed to run on lower-end C2D + 4870s on medium fine.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wessiej said:

What's a "monsterpc"?

So how story driven is this going to be...I ask because I love story, but I hate too many cutscenes, really takes away from the immersion for me. So will this be more like Oblivion talking to NPC's or more like Mass Effect where every 2 minutes the camera breaks away from your character and you have to talk to someone and go through a set of dialogue choices? My guess would be somewhere in the middle.

Wessiej

Zefah said:
What's a "monsterpc"?
Yeah really don't know the specs of our pc, but we have it to capture gameplay. 3 sli videocards, but I'm not sure which type. Will check it tomorrow.

Minsc said:
Were you playing on Ultra or something? It's been confirmed to run on lower-end C2D + 4870s on medium fine.

AA @ 2x and motion blur on, and everything else on high.

JoeBoy101

Wessiej said:

monsterpc stats?

Minsc

Gold Member
Wessiej said:
Yeah really don't know the specs of our pc, but we have it to capture gameplay. 3 sli videocards, but I'm not sure which type. Will check it tomorrow.

AA @ 2x and motion blur on, and the rest on high.

Interesting, though can't really comment till we know the exact specs, you could have a dual core CPU and average GPU, and you could have not updated to current drivers in which case the SLI would be somewhat if not entirely worthless.

I'm pretty sure high requires a 1GB card to run well, so that could be another issue.

AllIsOneIsNone said:
So how story driven is this going to be...I ask because I love story, but I hate too many cutscenes, really takes away from the immersion for me. So will this be more like Oblivion talking to NPC's or more like Mass Effect where every 2 minutes the camera breaks away from your character and you have to talk to someone and go through a set of dialogue choices? My guess would be somewhere in the middle.

It's sounding like it will be the perfect mix for you, more like Oblivion, less like Mass Effect 2. The original game also sounds perfect for you, it very rarely breaks the camera away from your control and is heavily focused on story and talking to NPCs.

Minsc said:
It's sounding like it will be the perfect mix for you, more like Oblivion, less like Mass Effect 2. The original game also sounds perfect for you, it very rarely breaks the camera away from your control and is heavily focused on story and talking to NPCs.

That's a little bit on the excellent side of things.

Salaadin

Minsc said:
Yup, should be fine to move them wherever you want after they've downloaded, that's how it's always worked. They just all need to be in the same folder when you install the game, filenames left unchanged.

Is it safe to move them now or should I wait until I have ALL of the files on the 16th before I go moving them around?

Meier

So.. if I don't pre-order and get this for $45, how long can we expect until there's a deal on Steam? I bought Civ 5 at launch and it seemed like it was much cheaper in relatively short order but that's the last full price PC game I've bought outside of WoW/expansions in who knows how long.

Minsc

Gold Member
Salaadin said:
Is it safe to move them now or should I wait until I have ALL of the files on the 16th before I go moving them around?

They're just setup files, you can move them as much as you want after they download, just have them all in to the same folder when you run the installer on the 16th. :)

Leonsito

SpacePirate Ridley said:
What the fuck, I bought it in the spanish zavvi and the collectors edition is more expensive!

Can i buy it from thsi one, arent the stores the same?

Yep, 6 euros more expensive. WTF?

Yeah, the store is the same, the games are the same version, zavvi.es is like zavvi.com without the shipping cost, but normally prices are higher in the spanish one, and you end with the games cheaper in zavvi.com.

In this case, the CE has free shipping.

spicy cho

Debating whether I get this on Steam or GoG.... I don't know why I want all my games on Steam, but for whatever reason it makes me feel better. Sad I know.

spicy cho said:
Debating whether I get this on Steam or GoG.... I don't know why I want all my games on Steam, but for whatever reason it makes me feel better. Sad I know.

Get on GoG. The developers get every cent of your money then.

And as much as I love Steam, its never good to have a near monopoly.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
spicy cho said:

You shouldn't feel obligated to buy it from GOG, they're still making money when you buy from Steam. I'm probably gonna go with GOG since it has the preload, but I can understand why some people would rather get it from Steam.

Do whatever offers the most for you, not them.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
spicy cho said:

Do you not own anything on GOG already? Why not?

Unless you're one of those people who cares about achievements more than anything, go with GOG. Support DRM-free. Support the removal of region locking from online digital stores. Support CDProjekt and GOG.com. They are an example of what is good in this industry, so show some support.

I love Steam and Valve, but GOG.com's version of the The Witcher 2 is as close to being objectively better as can be.

MollyMillions

Neo Member
On a more story-driven note...anyone see in the GameBanshee preview the illustrations of Geralt and
Yennefer
? There's also mention made of
Ciri.
I'd love to see some of the more central characters from the novels make an appearance in the game, but I think they've shifted to focus to Triss so that they're not tied down to the baggage from the complex relationship Geralt had with his ex.

Complistic

MollyMillions said:
On a more story-driven note...anyone see in the GameBanshee preview the illustrations of Geralt and
Yennefer
? There's also mention made of
Ciri.
I'd love to see some of the more central characters from the novels make an appearance in the game, but I think they've shifted to focus to Triss so that they're not tied down to the baggage from the complex relationship Geralt had with his ex.

This right? [spoiler and nsfw warning]
http://www.gamebanshee.com/images/com_sobi2/gallery/1379/screenshot130.jpg

I would absolutely love for them to bring
Yennefer back
. Things seem to be going way to well with triss and it would really throw a screwball at the whole situation. And Yes,
I realize she died, but so did Geralt.
They can do whatever they want.

Leonsito said:
Yeah, the store is the same, the games are the same version, zavvi.es is like zavvi.com without the shipping cost, but normally prices are higher in the spanish one, and you end with the games cheaper in zavvi.com.

In this case, the CE has free shipping.

Does that mean I can change my peorder for one web to the other being save it will arive?, I dont want to loose my old one preordered weeks ago if there is some tiny chance that there will be no more of them.
Didnt happen something similar with 3DS and amazon, that some people who preordered weeks in advance (even saying preorders were still possible) didnt get the console until much later?
Im in fear that if I preorder it now in zavvi.com theres a change i dont get one becuase I was too late.
Im also scared there is a chance that because they canceled the collector's edition in Spain I get message or something that the game will not arrive to zavvi.es or some shit like that.
I really dont know what to do.

Micius

Complistic said:
This right? [spoiler and nsfw warning]
http://www.gamebanshee.com/images/com_sobi2/gallery/1379/screenshot130.jpg

I would absolutely love for them to bring
Yennefer back
. Things seem to be going way to well with triss and it would really throw a screwball at the whole situation. And Yes,
I realize she died, but so did Geralt.
They can do whatever they want.

Argh, I should not have clicked that link. Massive spoilers there. Is this actually from the game though?

Corto

I am officially at 121 MB from playing this puppy! I can almost taste it... Chose Divine Divinity as the freebie and downloaded Psychonauts and Sacrifice with the redeemable codes (euro sale). Now we play the waiting game... with some head start.

Kyaw

My Virgin net is doing its 'over 3gb' throttle at peak times...
Download is going slowly at 270kb/s
Done about 60%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom