• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

epmode

Flying_Phoenix said:
Get on GoG. The developers get every cent of your money then.

And as much as I love Steam, its never good to have a near monopoly.
I'd gladly buy elsewhere if someone else could even compete. The client just gets better and better.

I'll probably get the Steam AND GOG versions. Temporarily insane IMO.

Salaadin

Minsc said:
They're just setup files, you can move them as much as you want after they download, just have them all in to the same folder when you run the installer on the 16th. :)

Thanks.

One last question Im hoping you or someone else can help with:
TW2 preload is complete. I had to reboot my computer and then opened the downloader again which gave me some error message and then TW2 disappeared from the list. It was lists but paused prior to me rebooting.

Is the downloader smart enough to know what files I have and what files I still need (kinda like Steam) so when I queue up the rest of the download next week, itll just know? The fact that its not even listed in my downloader anymore worries me.

EDIT: NVM, I just tried re-adding it and it detected that everything was already there. Good.

DangerStepp said:
My GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB should be able to hand this, eh? ...i7 rig with 6GB RAM.

The card has been pretty boss for the years that I've had it but have a hard time gauging whether or not it's old hat. If so, I'd like to look into SLI or getting a new GPU all together.
Swap the 9800 out for a 460 and you will be flying along for years. I changed over last year from the trusty 9800+ and couldn't be happier, fairly cheap upgrade too.

Looks fantastic. I'm going to have to stay well clear of the OT after release though. GAF hype sometimes gets me to buy games early and for single player RPGs I just don't see it as being worthwhile. I'll nab it next year sometime when I've cleared up a bit of the backlog and hopefully on sale.

Corto

Salaadin said:
Thanks.

One last question Im hoping you or someone else can help with:
TW2 preload is complete. I had to reboot my computer and then opened the downloader again which gave me some error message and then TW2 disappeared from the list. It was lists but paused prior to me rebooting.

Is the downloader smart enough to know what files I have and what files I still need (kinda like Steam) so when I queue up the rest of the download next week, itll just know? The fact that its not even listed in my downloader anymore worries me.

EDIT: NVM, I just tried re-adding it and it detected that everything was already there. Good.

Try to click on the redownload button on the game page... That would perhaps put TW2 on the queue list and the downloader should be smart enough to check that it already downloaded the game.

Leonsito

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Does that mean I can change my peorder for one web to the other being save it will arive?, I dont want to loose my old one preordered weeks ago if there is some tiny chance that there will be no more of them.
Didnt happen something similar with 3DS and amazon, that some people who preordered weeks in advance (even saying preorders were still possible) didnt get the console until much later?
Im in fear that if I preorder it now in zavvi.com theres a change i dont get one becuase I was too late.
Im also scared there is a chance that because they canceled the collector's edition in Spain I get message or something that the game will not arrive to zavvi.es or some shit like that.
I really dont know what to do.

I wouldn't change the preorder, I preordered in zavvi.com when it was at 81€, but I'm not risking it for 6€.

The CE won't be available in Spain, but don't worry, zavvi.es is just a translation of the zavvi.com site, they don't have any warehouses in Spain, they ship directly from the UK, and always UK editions.

Matll

It got 93 points from a Finnish magazine called Pelit. "Sexistic, humoristic, atmospheric and brutal Witcher 2 redeems all of my expectations."

Hype!

DangerStepp

Minsc said:
My guess would be a combination of medium/high, given the GPU is ~15% slower than the one in the recommended specs which is said to run high (high textures are probably out of the question without the recommended 1GB video ram).
Thank you for the free estimate. :)
I think I'll stick by my guns for now and purchase something else only if I find the visuals unsatisfactory.

Matll said:
It got 93 points from a Finnish magazine called Pelit. "Sexistic, humoristic, atmospheric and brutal Witcher 2 redeems all of my expectations."

Hype!

*Scrambles to complete TW (2nd time) in anticipation.

Darkkn

Matll said:

Hype!
Niiice! I have a lot of respect to Pelit and 93 is excellent(absolute classics get like 95) score from them.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I still need to finish Witcher 1. I will probably restart the game again since the farthest I had gotten was the village and subsequent woodlands after the intro.

I absolutely want to play this though, it looks awesome.

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but I preordered on GoG (from Australia), and even though GoG removed Geo-IP Region Detection, the copy in my games list clearly says "Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings, The (AU)".

Does anyone know if this will be censored? For those that don't know, the game was removed from the AU Steam Store, because the OFLC couldn't rate it, but recently it showed up again (At a much higher price of $75.00). I paid only $45 for the GoG version.

Minsc

Gold Member
TheFightingFish said:
Looks fantastic. I'm going to have to stay well clear of the OT after release though. GAF hype sometimes gets me to buy games early and for single player RPGs I just don't see it as being worthwhile. I'll nab it next year sometime when I've cleared up a bit of the backlog and hopefully on sale.

Such a strong, willful fish. Either that, or you have a combination of one hell of a backlog and are in need of upgrades to get the visuals from the OP out of the game.

Just seeing a few of the environments from that environment trailer running at 1080p @ a beautiful 60fps natively on your screen is enough to merit the full asking price.

davonaytor said:
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but I preordered on GoG (from Australia), and even though GoG removed Geo-IP Region Detection, the copy in my games list clearly says "Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings, The (AU)".

Does anyone know if this will be censored? For those that don't know, the game was removed from the AU Steam Store, because the OFLC couldn't rate it, but recently it showed up again (At a much higher price of $75.00). I paid only $45 for the GoG version.

Sure sounds like it :( Did you go to your account settings and set it to US, maybe it's because you pre-ordered before doing that. Probably should open a support ticket and request a refund or something, and try it again. My GOG copy doesn't have the (AU) in the title in the listing on my games page.

Question about the first game.
You can only pick up one weapon of each type at a time?
I read that some of the random dropped weapons are a decent source of money when you sell them.
But that would mean dropping my normal weapon for something that I'ma sell as trash? with no means of getting my old weapon back?
What's the point of that

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Finished with exams finally and just got through chapter 2 in TW1... Hopefully I'll have my save ready for when the 17th rolls around.

Minsc

Gold Member
Lafiel said:
Question does anything have a link to a Order, Shani save?

Because that's all i need and I'll be good to go.

Should be identical to the Order Triss save since Shani isn't in it. TW2 makes Geralt choose Triss automatically, it is irrelevant who you picked in the first.

Question about the first game.
You can only pick up one weapon of each type at a time?
I read that some of the random dropped weapons are a decent source of money when you sell them.
But that would mean dropping my normal weapon for something that I'ma sell as trash? with no means of getting my old weapon back?
What's the point of that

You don't really need money that bad, the game's pretty easy. You can beat it without buying a single weapon or piece of armor on hard with little difficulty.

OK WTF

Looks like gamestop has exclusive content deal, Merchant Pack

Unlocks a special character within each chapter of the game, offering for sale only items obtainable through side-quests

Is this gonna be unavailable to other buyers?

Van Buren

Minsc said:
Should be identical to the Order Triss save since Shani isn't in it. TW2 makes Geralt choose Triss automatically, it is irrelevant who you picked in the first.
Where did you hear that from ? I realize that Shani is apparently missing in the sequel, but nowhere did I hear that CDProjektRed is taking liberties with the player choices from the first game like Bioware tends to do.

Despite the player starting out with Triss in the second game, there could well be different dialog interactions in the sequel referring to Geralt's choice of Shani in the first.

dwebo

cleveridea said:
OK WTF

Looks like gamestop has exclusive content deal, Merchant Pack

Unlocks a special character within each chapter of the game, offering for sale only items obtainable through side-quests

Is this gonna be unavailable to other buyers?
TW2 FAQ said:
— Mysterious Merchant: NPC that offers unique items (without the DLC available only through hard quests)
So, no, unless you're lazy.

MollyMillions

Neo Member
Van Buren said:
Where did you hear that from ? I realize that Shani is apparently missing in the sequel, but nowhere did I hear that CDProjektRed is taking liberties with the player choices from the first game like Bioware tends to do.

Despite the player starting out with Triss in the second game, there could well be different dialog interactions in the sequel referring to Geralt's choice of Shani in the first.

My understanding is that Geralt has a relationship with Triss at the start of the game regardless of what you chose in the first, and that Shani is not in the game, but there is no confirmation that her absence is not acknowledged or explained. I would expect there to at least be one throwaway line about it.

As for the spoilerific discussion, I believe
the shots of the artwork are part of a backstory sequence that involves Geralt remembering his past, as he did not remember Yen or Ciri in the first game, and in fact Triss purposely misleads him by suggesting that before he died she and Geralt were together when in fact he had rejected her in favor of Yen.

It should be interesting for them to explore Triss' duplicity from the first game and what effect it will have on Geralt's attitude towards her.

Van Buren

MollyMillions said:
As for the spoilerific discussion, I believe
the shots of the artwork are part of a backstory sequence that involves Geralt remembering his past, as he did not remember Yen or Ciri in the first game, and in fact Triss purposely misleads him by suggesting that before he died she and Geralt were together when in fact he had rejected her in favor of Yen.
It is almost certainly a flashback sequence of some sort, since those were confirmed. There was another sequence where Geralt had a pitchfork through his gut, I believe. This does make me wonder why those characters and events are being brought up again now - could it be that the huge hulk of a kingslayer is connected somehow ? He seems to imply knowing Geralt, going by the trailers and the video previews.

Van Buren said:
It is almost certainly a flashback sequence of some sort, since those were confirmed. There was another sequence where Geralt had a pitchfork through his gut, I believe. This does make me wonder why those characters and events are being brought up again now - could it be that the huge hulk of a kingslayer is connected somehow ? He seems to imply knowing Geralt, going by the trailers and the video previews.
I believe he's supposed to find out why he's not dead, and that probably requires recapping how he died in the first place.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Ohh god I cannot wait any longer, 7 days is way too long. I just started downloading it off GOG and I am astonished that Im getting speeds of 1.5mbp and up, normally on Steam preloads often blow supremely, so props to GOG Ive never bought a game from them before but I love the Witcher so much that I want to give CDProjekt as much of my money as possible.

I think Im gonna Witcher-fy my avatar in the mean time. Gonna be tough but worth it.

Van Buren

Jay Shadow said:
I believe he's supposed to find out why he's not dead, and that probably requires recapping how he died in the first place.

Agreed, but I think it goes further than that. In one of the very first gameplay demonstrations, Iorveth and Kingslayer are in conversation, and Kingslayer seems to know Geralt personally. I personally cannot recall anyone resembling Kingslayer from the first game. Is he a character from the Polish books that have not been translated then ? Or is he a character who has taken on an entirely different guise? That's what I'm looking forward to finding out, in addition to the cliffhanger at the end of the first game.

Shawsie64

Banned
davonaytor said:

Did you change your region to US?

MollyMillions

Neo Member
Just thinking about the atrocious retailer-exclusive DLC for this game (really CDPR, you cut out finisher animations and made them only available to people who order from a specific retailer in the UK?) makes me livid. I hope that they make all of it available a week or two after release as they've implied and not months later after most people who supported them by buying at launch are finished with the game.

Complistic

Van Buren said:
Agreed, but I think it goes further than that. In one of the very first gameplay demonstrations, Iorveth and Kingslayer are in conversation, and Kingslayer seems to know Geralt personally. I personally cannot recall anyone resembling Kingslayer from the first game. Is he a character from the Polish books that have not been translated then ? Or is he a character who has taken on an entirely different guise? That's what I'm looking forward to finding out, in addition to the cliffhanger at the end of the first game.

The kingslayer does know geralt from before he died.

MollyMillions said:
(really CDPR, you cut out finisher animations and made them only available to people who order from a specific retailer in the UK?)
They cut out finishers that they weren't going to use. Then needed something to give retailers so they put them back in.

Minsc

Gold Member
Van Buren said:

True, but there's not been any confirmation that you import your decision of partner from the prior game, and the preview build does include the prologue doesn't it? So wouldn't it have been mentioned in a preview somewhere?

I suppose it's possible they address it, yes, I was incorrect for claiming they'll ignore it, but I haven't seen confirmation otherwise from anywhere yet. I'd have thought if the Triss/Shani decision played a part in the import process, they'd mention it, as they have rabid Shani fans declaring to veto buying the game for not including her.

Van Buren

Minsc said:
True, but there's not been any confirmation that you import your decision of partner from the prior game, and the preview build does include the prologue doesn't it? So wouldn't it have been mentioned in a preview somewhere?

I suppose it's possible they address it, yes, I was incorrect for claiming they'll ignore it, but I haven't seen confirmation otherwise from anywhere yet. I'd have thought if the Triss/Shani decision played a part in the import process, they'd mention it, as they have rabid Shani fans declaring to veto buying the game for not including her.

That sounds as insane as Bioware social and Tali fans.

Anyway, I'm just stating that previews for the game have rarely gone in-depth as to what to expect. I mean, it was only yesterday, through Gamebanshee, that details of the stat and bait systems were made clear. Add this to the fact that many previews were done by people who weren't fans of the Witcher to begin with, or didn't make it very far in the first game, references to the first game might simply have been lost on them.

We haven't had confirmation either way of what the import feature will entail, barring the fact that it is supposed to drastically influence how Act 2 proceeds. Unless proven otherwise, I'm inclined to give CDPR the benefit of the doubt in this case.

MollyMillions

Neo Member
Jay Shadow said:
They cut out finishers that they weren't going to use. Then needed something to give retailers so they put them back in.

This is what they said on their forums when people became upset about how unavailable this DLC is, but it's missing the point of the complaint. If the finishers are complete enough to be included in the game then it is anti-consumer to only make them available to a fraction of the audience. It's irrelevant what the design history of those elements are, what is lame is making animation variants that show up as part of the basic combat in the game exclusive to one retailer in one country.

To me this is different than outfits or even weapons, it is an element that contributes to the animations in the game being less repetitive. I would feel less annoyed if the various retailer exclusives were all available in all countries, I'd just pre-order from the retailer that has the bonus I want, but the US only gets 2-3 of the 8+ variants, and I'm sure the same is true of countries in Europe and other territories. I love CDPR's stance on international pricing and DRM, which is why it's so disappointing to see them screw up on retailer DLC.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Minsc said:
as they have rabid Shani fans declaring to veto buying the game for not including her.

whaaat

I went with her in TW1, but it was mostly because Triss had a creepy face. Her character wasn't very memorable and I can't see why someone would make a big deal out of her absence. The new options look much, much better.

Holy shit the
Beast
fight is frustrating in TW1.

I'll knock down all enemies with aard, then geralt will just stand there like a fucking retard , not reacting to mouse inputs, not starting his animations, just stuck in some perpetual loop of some fruity animation (yes I'm only pressing left mouse once).

This goes on until I double tap a directional key to snap him out of it.

Boss gets back up by then, I get shat on
during his stun

This happens all too often during normal fights too, but during this one where you have to click through all the conversation options and movies and load screen each time it really grinds my gears.
Half of the time he won't react to movement inputs either if you were already pressing in that direction while an animation happens, you have to let go of the movement key then press it again.
What a horribly wonky combat system.

edit : on the fifth try I randomly knock it down and one shot it... how ridiculously cheap and unsatisfying.

V sync is making the timing for the swordfight (and seeing if your animation actually started or not on a button press) very annoying btw.

but without vsync forced in CCC like every frame seems to tear for some reason.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
kamspy said:
I wonder how my 275 GTX is gonna hold up.

I got a Phenom Quad too (955)
Looks good enough for medium settings. The GPU is what may hold you back more than that good CPU.

Van Buren

SneakyStephan said:
Holy shit the
Beast
fight is frustrating in TW1.

I'll knock down all enemies with aard, then geralt will just stand there like a fucking retard , not reacting to mouse inputs, not starting his animations, just stuck in some perpetual loop of some fruity animation (yes I'm only pressing left mouse once).

This goes on until I double tap a directional key to snap him out of it.

Boss gets back up by then, I get shat on
during his stun

This happens all too often during normal fights too, but during this one where you have to click through all the conversation options and movies and load screen each time it really grinds my gears.

Which difficulty, btw ?

I'm hoping that you put at least 1 talent point into the Aard talent which will enable you to stun opponents. If you have, forget the barghests, and just keep casting Aard at the boss. Sooner or later, you will stun it, allowing you to one-shot kill it. Really trivial fight with Aard.

If you do not have the point in Aard, you're going to have to rely on Abigail to heal you(if applicable) in addition to your potions which increase health and endurance regeneration and dodging. Try to group style the barghests and whittle away at the boss' hp before it summons minions again. Make sure the sword has the necessary oil, and run around if things get too hairy.

If you're playing on Hard, and do not have the necessary potions or the skill in Aard, you are going to have to rely on running away and hoping to whittle away the boss' hp. I've never come across anyone winning the fight when stuck in such a situation, so best of luck to you.

dwebo

LiquidMetal14 said:
Looks good enough for medium settings. The GPU is what may hold you back more than that good CPU.
Come on now. A GTX 275 isn't far off from the power of a 460. Given what we've heard about the engine being well optimized, I think people are overestimating how taxing this game will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom