• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Does anyone here know where the preorder content is stored on Steam? I downloaded the 16GB file but I can't find most of the Premium items (map, guide; etc.)

Not in love with the combat, but will give it time to grow on me. Mostly I hate how parry eats up huge chunks of endurance. I'm getting the hang of it slowly, hopefully it will grow on me.

Controller definitely seems better, but the inventory screen (unless I'm doing it wrong) is a disaster to manage with it. Also, my keyboard has insert combined with prtscreen and does nothing to switch back and forth. Is that me only? Or does insert not work to toggle for anybody else?

Also, is there a key or button to highlight interactive stuff (items/herbs/people's names, etc.?). I think it was alt in Witcher 1, but don't know if it is different now or simply gone.

SerArthurDayne said:
Also, is there a key or button to highlight interactive stuff (items/herbs/people's names, etc.?). I think it was alt in Witcher 1, but don't know if it is different now or simply gone.

z. or L3

Chiggs

Gold Member
The visuals, especially in the real time cut scenes, mop the floor with anything out on the market currently. It's a huge leap forward.

hamchan

Yeah a couple of hours in and I just finished all the opening bits, I died so many times ><

I'm quite happy they're mentioning (early spoilers)
Yennefer. I was always wondering what happened to her since I've only read the first two books

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else have an issue with Windows 7 64 and it seeing your saves from the The Witcher. If so, is there a fix for it?

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not an avid pc gamer but I'm thinking of buying this. Worth 50 bucks I assume?

hamchan said:
Yeah a couple of hours in and I just finished all the opening bits, I died so many times ><

I'm quite happy they're mentioning (early spoilers)
Yennefer. I was always wondering what happened to her since I've only read the first two books

Witcher 1 does a very brief summary of the books in a somewhat oblique way. The Murky Waters Innkeeper tells you the story. Also, I'm not sure where, but I'm almost positive that Yennefer and her role is referenced at some point in the game. Maybe the same place. Or maybe I'm confusing something I read on the wiki with something in the game.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
zlatko said:
If you got the PC to run it, then most definitely. The first 4 hours have been awesome. :)
Believe it or not my PC is great. My brother mostly uses it for Tf2 and after running a systemrequirementslab test I actually breezed through the requirements.

Varna

is it safe to sell alchemy scrolls once you know the spell like in the first game? I ask because you start out with a bunch you already know.

And holy shit these save files start adding up... AGAIN. Did they not learn a think from the first game. :p

scoobs

didn't play the first... wondering if i should jump in with the sequel. What exactly does it play like? Dragon age-ish? My PC is beastly so I can definitely run it, its just a question of will I enjoy it.

hamchan

Also someone earlier said the combat was like Demon's Souls which is a pretty good comparison I think. If you don't block and dodge a lot you just get raped by the enemies.

Luthos

The combat feels like a mix between Demon's Souls and Batman: Arkham Asylum.

And why can't I find the extras on the Steam version?

Echoplx

Luthos said:
The combat feels like a mix between Demon's Souls and Batman: Arkham Asylum.

And why can't I find the extras on the Steam version?

As i posted above apparently it's not yet been added to the Steam version.

16GB of game content, that's as big as WoW ffs.

Varna

Good god, the memory leaking in this is horrible. I have to restart the game every 20-30 minutes before it locks up completely.

Odd. I haven't noticed any such leaks. Been playing for hours. Seems like it's taking longer to load the save data now that there are a hundred saves though.

scoobs said:
didn't play the first... wondering if i should jump in with the sequel. What exactly does it play like? Dragon age-ish? My PC is beastly so I can definitely run it, its just a question of will I enjoy it.

I didn't even bother with the first game. This game is so much better in every way possible I would just read a wiki of the first game if you really want the story of the 1st game. The first game is a slow burn as well and this one is just BAM from get go.

Psi

3chopl0x said:
So apparently the 16GB Steam version doesn't even have the bonus videos/guides/OST etc yet

wth why is it so big then

Maybe it's uncompressed? My GOG download with all the extras is about 12.1 GB but the witcher 2 folder after installation is about 15 GB.

markot

Banned
>_< Hm, thats weird. But yeah the installation took quite awhile from the gog downloaded, I think it was pretty heavily compressed, on steam they tend to try and make it seamless.

WEGGLES

3chopl0x said:
So apparently the 16GB Steam version doesn't even have the bonus videos/guides/OST etc yet

wth why is it so big then
Big ass game.

When installed from disc it's about that size, and that's with the OST and Bonus disc being separate.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
How do you invert the mouse? I edited the user.ini in documents/witcher2 to be a negative number and it's still not inverted?

How how how howwwwww?

Seriously, I need to play this and I can't spend all my time staring at either the sky or the ground.

Psi

Wallach said:
I'm guessing it does it like the original, where every normal/auto/quick save is a separate file?

Yeah and you can't save over an older save, it makes a new one every time. I just go and delete a pile of the oldest ones every so often so the save folder doesn't get in to the GB levels.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Quick question, I guess early Ch 1 spoilers? It's not very important, though.

Can you actually get rid of the tattoo, or should I give up? I'm not sure if I should be hunting down these items that I've yet to see..

Psi said:
Yeah and you can't save over an older save, it makes a new one every time. I just go and delete a pile of the oldest ones every so often so the save folder doesn't get in to the GB levels.

I had this problem in Witcher 1 without ever realizing it. Noticed some crazy hangups while loading, and noticed a 10 gig folder of saves. I was spamming F5 all throughout Witcher 1, though.

HOLY MOTHER FUCKING SHIT

HAS ANYONE TRIED THIS IN 3D YET????

It is a sight to behold, holy fuck. It runs very very smooth too!!!!

The DoF makes the game in 3D look the best i've ever seen a videogame look.

zlatko

Banned
scoobs said:

I didn't play the first, but the first 4 hours of this game have absolutely floored me. The visuals, the sound, and the fantastic combat. The combat reminds me of Demon's Souls in some regard, so if you played that and enjoyed it then you'd definitely like this.

It doesn't play like Dragon Age at all if you ask me. It's a god like game though. Buy it.

Anyone know where I can find Melena for the quest in chapter one after
She has you ambushed by the Scoiatel by the waterfall. I have something to say to that bitch

Van Buren

scoobs said:

I'm only done with the Prologue of the sequel, but a lot of the plot developments and references seen so far wouldn't have had the same impact if I had not played Witcher 1. The main plot development of the returning characters in the Prologue had me in disbelief(in a good way) given what I had experienced in the first game. It was completely unexpected.

Cat in the Hat said:
HOLY MOTHER FUCKING SHIT

I am playing it in 3D, and as insane as it sounds, the non 3D version is blown away by it. The Chapter 1 forest with the stereoscopic depth is jaw-dropping. Had to choose between 3D and Ubersampling, and I think I made the right choice.

Varna

So I'm thinking of starting over without importing. The save file found in the OP seems to give you an insane amount of money to spend. Feels like cheating. Have the benefits of importing been discovered? Just money, better weapons and armor?

Animator

Cat in the Hat said:
HOLY MOTHER FUCKING SHIT

The DoF makes the game in 3D look the best i've ever seen a videogame look.

Stupid question:

Do I need a 3d monitor to play this in 3d? Or can I go buy a nvidia 3d glass and play it on 3d in my normal monitor?

Also here is a screenshot to show how fucking amazing the game looks:

http://i.imgur.com/JRped.jpg

(chapter 1 screenshot)

Varna said:
So I'm thinking of starting over without importing. The save file found in the OP seems to give you an insane amount of money to spend. Feels like cheating. Have the benefits of importing been discovered? Just money, better weapons and armor?
So far my swords and armour have been the only real advantage. Little disappointed that Triss has forgiven me for giving Alvin to Shani and the squirrels don't seem to like me especially.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
holy shit prologue done, this game is incredible

Also, Iorveth is awesome, I love his design. I hope that I get to team up with that dude at some point.

Finally have some time to play. Amazing how much of a challenge Normal has turned out to be, and it's not of the "cheap=hard" variety either.

Triss: Witcher, I'm detecting a dragon on an intercept course.
Witcher: Quen up. On screen.
Triss: More like "on fire." We need to get out of here!
Witcher: Damn it! Divert auxiliary energy to Quen.
Zoltan: I'm give'n'er all she's got, Witcher.

Hopefully AMD takes care of crossfire issues quickly as the FPS dips are a but jarring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom