• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.
BigBlackGamer said:
I don't care if it does get ported but you can tell at least with the controls they have everything nailed down for a console port.
Yeah, I just look at this game in-game and think no way haha.

Anyways how do you get the DLC troll quest? I took the bounty without reading it on accident. I think there were instructions on the bounty cause I saw a website on it.

ColonialRaptor said:
How do you quick save with controller?

This game is so good with controller, perfectly suited to it.
You can't you have to press start and hit save there. It doesn't take any time really.

WEGGLES

cleveridea said:
Both the CE and regular failed for me - I think their identical. I replaced my CE disks for identical regular edition looking ones, had same problem. ended up downloading from gog.com

Man the thing runs like a pig though so I hope you have a high end rig.
Shoot.

I'll have to go install it soon then. D:

I have a reasonably recent rig. (Last August) i5 750, 5850, 4GB RAM. Should be fine. I exceed the recommended specs D;

Wes

venison crêpe
I am adoring this game. Got my settings set to high and the game looks glorious. Even on normal difficulty combat is hard - which I like! Really enjoying the adventure so far.

Exuro said:
So nearing end of chapter one, what in the world do I need to do
to defeat Letho? He keeps owning me.
In response to the quoted spoiler section:
Bombs can help but I ended up not needing them though. He does lots of power swings so if you can move sideways around them you can normally get one or two swift strikes in before backing off. Timing your roll is key. Also I have an oil which does 20% damage to humans which obviously makes the fight shorter, and you can apply that at any time, unlike potions.

suikodan

For the physical error plaguing the CE disks, I have one set here and tried to copy DVD1 on my HDD. The copying process failed.

I tried copying the files off the disk from a different PC/DVD Drive and it worked. I then put the files into a USB HDD (320Gb) so I'm trying to install this now for the nth time.

I am not pleased about my CE package but hopefully it will be all forgotten once the game starts.

I think it needs to be mentioned a lot more but the lack of hand holding is really great. All those years of shitty console RPGs are melting away the m ore I play this. It's got me reading things and getting background. That way when I have to make a tough choice with no clear "good" or "bad" result, I at least can make it based on how I would make the decision. That I think will be the thing I remember the most about this game.

About the nekkers, is there anyway of tracking
their nests? I read the book and it says to put a grape something bomb to blow it up but I haven't found a single one yet. Also does this help out with the Mar-whatever her name is quest? Those things are raping me sideways

This game is unbelievable, the only reason why I'm not playing it now is because my chair isn't that comfortable.

It's crazy how open it is even in the first chapter.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Whew just hit the first chapter. (on hard).

Really loving the game, combat system is great and a huge improvement over the witcher 1, the graphics are beautiful, writing and storytelling seems very solid, and the voice-acting in particular is a step-up from the original witcher. Can't wait till the game opens up more, and I'm able to do more sidequests, explore etc.

My only complaint about the game so far is the combat animations can still feel occasionally janky at times, and the blocking feels rather unresponsive at times.

One thing I'm surprised about the combat, is i was actually feeling quite skeptical pre-release because it was supposedly influenced by batman arkham asylum, I'm pleased to find out that they only took the "best" parts of that combat system, with none of the worst parts carried over fortunately, the targeting and positioning stuff actually feels more like demon souls than batman arkham aslyum which is pretty awesome.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
First time playing an action RPG on the PC.

Verdict? It's really flippin hard!

How do you people deal with all these buttons?

toasty_T said:
About the nekkers, is there anyway of tracking
their nests? I read the book and it says to put a grape something bomb to blow it up but I haven't found a single one yet. Also does this help out with the Mar-whatever her name is quest? Those things are raping me sideways

This game is unbelievable, the only reason why I'm not playing it now is because my chair isn't that comfortable.

It's crazy how open it is even in the first chapter.
I haven't done the quest but if you go out the back of town and go to the elf merchant atop the ladder he sells traps and bombs and recipes for bombs. I believe one is the grape bomb

Also You got to get the couch setup, I've been laying on my couch all damn day playing this!

Is anyone other than me running into the issue where, if you pause the game for five minutes, the game turns into a goddamn slideshow when unpaused?
nope

I love this game. Even if it feels really linear for now, I love it to bits. Just hit the beginning of Chapter 1 and it really opens up though. So I hope it can keep this up.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
John Harker said:
First time playing an action RPG on the PC.

Verdict? It's really flippin hard!

How do you people deal with all these buttons?

I actually tried the game on a controller because of this, and i had a easier time playing with the KB+M.:lol

hiryu

This game is amazing. I managed to make it through the Prologue in about 2 hours. Gorgeous game with great music. I really like the new combat system.

suikodan

Help!

It seems that we need to create a new account on thewitcher.com to activate the game. I try creating one and I get a message that it can't communicate with the servers.

I look the website up and see that it's supposed to be fine. Anyone would know?

FYI, running launcher.exe does nothing so I'm trying register.exe

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Zeliard said:
Are you guys who are using pads reverting to mouse to navigate certain menus, or just using pad the entire time?

Pad for everything but quick saving. As an ex-consolite, I'm used to using one for menu navigation so it's not so bad.

The one major advantage of using my pad is that I can lean back and kick my feet up on the desk as I play.

C'mon guys... someone's gotta know if you can store things in a box or externally somewhere?

Or do you have to manage your stuff so well and manage with only 300 weight for the entire game? Cause that's gonna be rather hard!

Snuggler said:
Pad for everything but quick saving. As an ex-consolite, I'm used to using one for menu navigation so it's not so bad.

The one major advantage of using my pad is that I can lean back and kick my feet up on the desk as I play.

Comfy couch FTW!

Ok, it's 05:20am here, I see they fixed the DLC looping (Troll Trouble installed), however there is still no Polish VA available. Back to sleep then.

ColonialRaptor said:
C'mon guys... someone's gotta know if you can store things in a box or externally somewhere?

Or do you have to manage your stuff so well and manage with only 300 weight for the entire game? Cause that's gonna be rather hard!

Comfy couch FTW!

I am also concerned about this..

As well as what skills take mutagens.. as far as I can see i'm level 7 and there have been no skills on the entire witcher top tree with slots?

Zeliard said:
Are you guys who are using pads reverting to mouse to navigate certain menus, or just using pad the entire time?

Every in-game menu has full controller support, it's only the title menu which requires a mouse =]

Snuggler said:
Pad for everything but quick saving.

Oh yeah, and that.

Zeliard

Lafiel said:
I actually tried the game on a controller because of this, and i had a easier time playing with the KB+M.:lol

I'm finding combat comfortable enough with the default kb/m settings. :p WASD for movement, Q for Signs, E for Parry, space bar for roll, mouse buttons for the attacks. Number buttons for quick binds. The typical keys you use for many PC games. Feels solid to me. I just switched lock-on from ALT to the middle mouse button.

Also is there some Troll DLC that I can't get? I ordered from GoG is this included in the release day patch they slipped me? Because I thought all DLC was going to be free?

Max

I am not Max
72% after downloading since 8 AM PST this morning

I'm really wishing Steam had the option to download the extras separately right about now. Fuck.

Animator

Johnny2Bags said:
Also is there some Troll DLC that I can't get? I ordered from GoG is this included in the release day patch they slipped me? Because I thought all DLC was going to be free?

You download it from the DLC section of the launcher.

Brofist

jim-jam bongs said:
Every in-game menu has full controller support, it's only the title menu which requires a mouse =]

Oh yeah, and that.

Title screen doesn't require a mouse either, but for some reason you can only use the 360 dpad and not the analog one.

Blizzard

Banned
ColonialRaptor said:

I, too, wish to know whether there are any sorts of chests to dump loot in. Or if you sell it does the shopkeeper person sell it back to you? I'm guessing that is unlikely.

I have not yet launched the game but my fear about rolling is that double taps will be annoying and space is only listed as a forward roll. I would like to be able to hit space to roll in any direction. Are side/back rolls very important?

Yea go wired, no problems on my end

Are the people who said they cant quick save unplug their keyboard while playing? Because I can quicksave with f5 and still play pad.

Animator said:
You download it from the DLC section of the launcher.

Hmm that's greyed out for me at the moment. Are they still having server troubles? Or does the DLC come via Steam?

kpop100 said:
Title screen doesn't require a mouse either, but for some reason you can only use the 360 dpad and not the analog one.

!!!

Thanks!

Zeliard

Blizzard said:
I have not yet launched the game but my fear about rolling is that double taps will be annoying and space is only listed as a forward roll. I would like to be able to hit space to roll in any direction. Are side/back rolls very important?

You can roll to any side with spacebar, just hold the direction when you're hitting it. The double taps do the same thing, so it's whichever you prefer.

gillty

Banned
jim-jam bongs said:
Hmm that's greyed out for me at the moment. Are they still having server troubles? Or does the DLC come via Steam?

!!!

Thanks!
Everything is downloaded with the Steam version (thats why its 16GB), however I still believe you need to register through the launcher in order to activate the preinstalled dlc.

Blizzard said:
I, too, wish to know whether there are any sorts of chests to dump loot in. Or if you sell it does the shopkeeper person sell it back to you? I'm guessing that is unlikely.

Yeah definitely I know that when you sell an item to a shop keeper that shop keeps that item and will sell it back to you, however he'll sell it back for more than you sold it to him for, so that's not an efficient way to do things.

There has GOT to be a chest of some sorts. I haven't checked in the inn or anything properly yet, so I'm not sure...

At work so I can't check at the moment... can't believe no one knows yet! Maybe you've just got to use your 300 weight... perhaps under the alchemy tree there is some upgrade to your carrying weight abilities!?

Ok so I was hating on this game earlier... I thoroughly revoke most of my complaints and have to say this game is drop dead sexy gorgeous, brilliant game.

dammmmmnnnnnnnn at the dungeon with his shirt off, and the atmosphere of the countryside when he exits it

click this link to see the sexy

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/559782500828888520/E4FD98F980B73BF52705A3FE0DF6C67F682C1212/

Please give us an optimization patch though CDPR, game doesn't exactly run all that great.

Valru said:
Everything is downloaded with the Steam version (thats why its 16GB), however I still believe you need to register through the launcher in order to activate the preinstalled dlc.
Oh okay, that actually does make sense to stop pirated versions from getting it.

Has anyone seen the Hadouken finisher? Geralt's new Igni is pretty berserk...

matmanx1

Well I'm into Chapter 1 now and I am seriously, seriously impressed. This game is the bees knees and the cats pajamas all rolled into one gloriously beautiful package. There's so many things that I am loving about the game that I really can't do them justice in a short post but man oh man am I loving it.

One quick call out before bedtime is in order. The dwarf book seller in Flotsam has got to be one of the best dwarves I've ever seen or heard in a video game. His accent is awesome, the way he talks is awesome and he's even a snappy dresser! I think he's my new favorite NPC.

And in the "nice little detail!" department I noticed that while Zoltan was drinking his ale in the Inn in Flotsam that he has a scratch on the cuticle of his pointer finger. It's a ragged looking one and such a fine detail deserves lots of praise. I don't know whose idea it was to model that scratch on his pointer finger but I think it's fantastic!

Varna

Just got to chapter 1. That was a pretty great intro. Definitely set up story up rather nicely. Now It looks like I am finally free to explore on my own. This is going to be great.

The new VA cast is going to take some getting use to... Not sure if I just got used to their old voices, but I definitely am missing them. Triss especially. She sounded really tough and ruthless in the first game... now she sound rather typical. Zalton is just a crazy change...

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Animator said:
Get the wired 360 controller. It has zero issues. The wireless one has problems sometimes.

Link to buy? How long is the cord? I'd want to chill back from the monitor a bit.
Get all comfy-like.

Coldsnap

Hellsing321 said:
I wish the tip boxes stayed up longer. I've had to go into the journal to look at the tips again because I missed the last part of one which is usually the most important part.

this.. I'm always like wait wat im not done reading that

Gattsu25

Banned
Blizzard said:
You can roll in any direction using WASD+space.

Rolling to the side has been so damned useful that I haven't even tried rolling backward, yet.

I just got to chapter 1. All your items from the prologue carry over.

I can't use my 360 controller. For some reason, when I bring up the radial menu I can't select a sign without a lot of fiddling. Everything else works like a charm.

zlatko

Banned
Ok so I can't install the troll trouble DLC, because it keeps saying I need to be the adminstrator for my PC for permission.

How exactly do I do this? I tried right clicking witcher 2 launch short cut on desktop thinking it'd let me just do the "run as administrator" option, but no luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom