• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
jaundicejuice said:
Where do I find my CD key in the Steam version of the Witcher 2 to register? Normally you just right click in your library and the second or third option is view your cd key, but that's not present.
Run Steam as Admin and it'll autofill.

I'll give that a shot. Never had to do that before.

Edit: That did nothing. I exited Steam, skipped the warning about running Steam in compatibility mode, and nothing I have no option to view my CD key.

Perhaps from in-game through the overlay?

Tokubetsu

Game is so pretty and the atmosphere is so great. Had a great time running around Flotsam, finding items on my shopping list for my new armor =) I'll miss ye, Raven's armor, but alas, a hood is so much cooler.

Exuro

I've got a question, is the Troll Trouble dlc a side quest for Chapter 1 or is it a mini adventure like the dlc from TW1?

No option to view my cd key while in-game from the overlay either, wtf.

Edit: Wait, I have to quit Steam, run as admin, relaunch Steam, launch the game, try to register, then the cd key field will auto-populate?

That did the trick.

Psi

Exuro said:
I've got a question, is the Troll Trouble dlc a side quest for Chapter 1 or is it a mini adventure like the dlc from TW1?

Side Quest. I think it starts on the notice board.

Echoplx

jaundicejuice said:
No option to view my cd key while in-game from the overlay either, wtf.

You need to get the key from your registry if it doesn't work automatically

Basicly Windows: Start -> Run -> regedit -> Opens the window for editing registry.

The key should be in HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> CD Projekt RED -> The Witcher 2

3chopl0x said:
You need to get the key from your registry if it doesn't work automatically

Basicly Windows: Start -> Run -> regedit -> Opens the window for editing registry.

The key should be in HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> CD Projekt RED -> The Witcher 2

Thank you but running Steam in compatibility mode as administrator did the trick. I just had to exit Steam, run as admin, re-launch Steam, play the Witcher 2 and from the Witcher 2 launcher run the registry tool. It auto-populated the field and I was able to register my game and get access to the free dlc. Which I cannot download because it looks like their servers are too busy.

Narag

jaundicejuice said:
Thank you but running Steam in compatibility mode as administrator did the trick. I just had to exit Steam, run as admin, re-launch Steam, play the Witcher 2 and from the Witcher 2 launcher run the registry tool. It auto-populated the field and I was able to register my game and get access to the free dlc. Which I cannot download because it looks like their servers are too busy.

I'd try again. I just snagged it without issue.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Is there a way to set an active quest, so you have a waypoint for the quest you're currently working on, or do you just have to explore a bit? I'm fine exploring, but waypoints are always helpful.

Exuro

thetrin said:
Is there a way to set an active quest, so you have a waypoint for the quest you're currently working on, or do you just have to explore a bit? I'm fine exploring, but waypoints are always helpful.
Double click on the quest in the journal. If you aren't given a waypoint then it doesn't have one.

zonezeus

thetrin said:

Double click on the quest in journal.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Exuro said:
Double click on the quest in the journal. If you aren't given a waypoint then it doesn't have one.
I'm an idiot. Thank you. Double clicking seems to be the go-to action for pretty much everything in this game. I don't know why I didn't try.

Btw, buying books to read up on monsters is fucking awesome.

1stStrike

Banned
Oh man, one of the coolest things I've seen so far in a game. I'm not going to spoiler this because it's not giving anything away at all, it's just really cool.

I was walking through the town at night in chapter 1 and there's a dude chilling next to a fire. I walk by, put out his fire for shits and giggles, and walk past - and start hearing blowing sounds. Turn around, and he's blowing on his fire to re-ignite it. I was just like "omfg... I have never seen this in a video game before."

I spent about 6 hours playing tonight and I got through the prologue and I'm maybe half way through chapter 1. There's so much to do and explore that you just get immersed in the world and the characters and forget about trying to progress the story. I'm really loving this game so far.

markot

Banned
>_< I died like 5 times before I got the hang of combat and signs >.> hehe.

Also god damn, I am impressed by how nice it looks on my ye olde 4770 >_>

Soule

Ok, just finished downloading and started the game. OMG I haven't been hyped for a game in so long. The presentation, music and (despite running on ~medium-ish settings) the graphics are very impressive, I'm absolutely stoked at the moment :D

SneakyStephan said:
8 million..
Really puts those bloated 50-100+ million dollar budgets (or sometimes 100 million advertising budgets) for other games into perspective.

clearly eastern european devs work for free, international marketing is free, localisation is free for those suckas too, equipment is so much cheaper there as are licenses etc.
After making this game they go back to their straw hut milking goats

The average salary in Poland is 662 euros.

In Germany it's over 3.5k. The average in Europe is 2.4k.

Yeah, it puts things in perspective. Don't act like it's not a factor.

thetrin

I fucking love this game so far. It really puts Bioware to shame. I actually had to turn my PC off so I get up on time for work tomorrow.

Narag said:
I'd try again. I just snagged it without issue.

Still getting the connection error, did a search and found this through the Steam user forum...

http://en.thewitcher.com/community/entry/13/

Dear Fans!

We ask for a little bit of your patience while we make some adjustments and optimizations to the servers hosting The Witcher 2.

Planned time of the downtime: 23:30
Planned downtime: 40 minutes

Problems that may occur:
- new users won't be able to register the game
- users won't be able to download the DLCs (lang packs, patch, addons)

Affected:
- all users

We apologize you for any inconvenience and will do our best to bring back the services working ASAP.

I'll try again tomorrow.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
thetrin said:
I fucking love this game so far. It really puts Bioware to shame. I actually had to turn my PC off so I get up on time for work tomorrow.

I love Bioware games but TW2 makes them feel a generation behind. This actually is the new shit.

Exuro

Yeah I was up at 4 in the morning waiting for Steam to unlock. Got it started dling and when I woke up at 9:30 I started playing the game. Played the game for 14 hours. So good. I've already noticed some choices that appear to alter the course of the game dramatically so my second playthrough looks to have a lot of new experiences whenever I start it. Only on Chapter 2 so I have a lot more time left in my first playthrough.

Echoplx

Urgh, so after spending the last day downloading from Steam I can't even play, can't connect to the server to download 'Troll Trouble' and when I click 'Launch Game' the medallion comes up and then it pops away ad the launcher comes back.

3chopl0x said:
Urgh, so after spending the last day downloading from Steam I can't even play, can't connect to the server to download 'Troll Trouble' and when I click 'Launch Game' the medallion comes up and then it pops away ad the launcher comes back.

Server maintenance for the dlc, as to the game not starting, wish I could help you.

Carm

toasty_T said:
What the hell are the controls arm wrestling? I've been trying to beat these two dudes for about 20 minutes now and still no luck.

Game didn't tell me shit.

... Learn to explore, there is one in the prologue that explains it. There is arm wrestling and dice poker npcs a few steps away from the tent you start in (near the black and white tents).

People need to read game manuals and readme files(I'm guilty of this one). I've seen numerous complains/issues that are explained in both. And again, learn to explore the game environment.

Kevin

Can't believe how beautiful this game is. It's like the "Crysis" of RPG games. Super high resolution textures, high res character models, etc. I'm in a forest area right now and can't help but to take in the game's beauty and it's also taxing the hell out of my GTX 590 but man does it look good doing so. :D

Soule

Only on Normal difficulty but goddamn it's quite difficult. Taking on 5 people at a time is incredibly hard or maybe I'm still finding my feet but it's certainly not as forgiving as some other games. I do enjoy that though, I feel like there is more purpose behind defence and I actually feel vulnerable but strong at the same time. Only like an hour in and getting my ass handed to me but I'm still loving it <3

Hawk269

Ok...but dont laugh, but I have no idea what this is. At certain parts of the game, in the upper center of the screen an upside down triangle shows up with a timer counting down. Now I know there is a timer when you take potions, but not sure what this is? I know it is very noobish question. It first appeared in the prologu when you needed to launch one of those giant arrows.

Since I died alot,one time the timer hit zero, but nothing happened...so not really sure what this is.

Thanks!

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Dmax3901 said:
Is it safe to delete the GoG.comdownloads/Witcher_2 folder with all the install stuff in it?
Pretty much. It will increase performance. If you have SLI/CF, delete System32 for an extra boost.

Carm

Hawk269 said:
Ok...but dont laugh, but I have no idea what this is. At certain parts of the game, in the upper center of the screen an upside down triangle shows up with a timer counting down. Now I know there is a timer when you take potions, but not sure what this is? I know it is very noobish question. It first appeared in the prologu when you needed to launch one of those giant arrows.

Since I died alot,one time the timer hit zero, but nothing happened...so not really sure what this is.

Thanks!

It's your buffs/debuffs icons. Could be something else, never noticed, when you buff yourself with the shield it shows the icon you describe.

Hawk269 said:

Thanks!
It's a timer for your buffs.

Quen lasts 40 seconds if you don't get hit. Your potion effects also last a certain length of time. Places of power buffs also appear.

mileS

so if you use a controller you're forced to loot everything instead of being able to pick with kb+m ? maybe i'm missing something.

I have no idea why anyone is complaining about the difficulty of the prologue on Normal. It is so freakin' easy, especially if you consistently dodge.

I destroyed the first 'boss' without even getting down to half health. Everyone is using potions and dodging to keep from getting surrounded, yeah? It really helps.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
BoobPhysics101 said:
I have no idea why anyone is complaining about the difficulty of the prologue on Normal. It is so freakin' easy, especially if you consistently dodge.
I'm playing on hard, and have found most of the difficulty in the prologue lying in the fact that i was just getting used to the combat.. I've been finding the game pretty manageable so far, and just difficult enough to not make every fight a click fest.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
This. Game. Is. FUCKING. I N C R E D I B L E.

Holy shit. *Bow* CDPR seriously, holy shit. Wow. Wow.

Wow.

Luthos

Has someone figured out if there's an item storage in this game? Some of these ingredients are piling up, and getting quite heavy...

knitoe

Any way tim delete or overwrite save files in the game? Right now, the game keeps on making new ones. At this rate, I'll have several hundred save files before the end of the game.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
knitoe said:
Any way tim delete or overwrite save files in the game? Right now, the game keeps on making new ones. At this rate, I'll have several hundred save files before the end of the game.

just find the folder in my documents and delete all the old saves

Tokubetsu

Need some help with troll trouble
What do I do? I've spoken to a couple people and they don't want me to kill him. Okay, but how do I do that? He just asks for vodka.

NIN90

VisanidethDM said:
The average salary in Poland is 662 euros.

In Germany it's over 3.5k. The average in Europe is 2.4k.

Yeah, it puts things in perspective. Don't act like it's not a factor.

3.5k across all professions or just game developers?
That's either a bullshit number or boy did I choose the wrong profession.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom