• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carm

rSpooky said:
I saw this morning GOG has it for sale DRM free. Is that just them or all versions? I.E. is the disc DRM free as well, cause I still favor discs.

Only the GOG version is DRM free.

Corto

BeeDog said:
Didn't someone say that users should be able to download the Polish voice-over pack from the launcher? It's strange because it seems I only have the English stuff:

url]

I mean, my retail copy is already in English. :p

They are having some problems still with the servers. On GOG though some users reported that the following method worked for them to enjoy the game with Polish VA (can't say if it will harm future patches to the game, use at your own discretion)

gog forum user Pioter666 said:
Go to http://peb.pl/cracki-patche-spolszczenia-itp/1027115-fix-wiedzmin-2-zabojcy-krolow-witcher.html

scroll down to
Wiedźmin 2: Zabójcy Królów / The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (2011) SPOLSZCZENiE
and download 2 files unpack put in cookedpc folder and that it you can change a languge to pl

Link to the original post

Dmax3901

I'm in Flotsam and I'm playing on normal, the difficulty seems to fluctuate between perfect and fuck off difficult, for example I had to go down to Easy for
the Wraiths in the Haunted Hospital

I'm getting that "should I be buying better armour and weapons or do I just suck" feeling. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Suairyu

Banned
How are the English voices this time around? I felt even the Extended Edition re-casts left a lot to be desired. Polish was the only way to play that game.

If improved, are they improved to the point the Polish VA is no longer better, or is the native VA still the best experience?

Corto

Dmax3901 said:
I'm in Flotsam and I'm playing on normal, the difficulty seems to fluctuate between perfect and fuck off difficult, for example I had to go down to Easy for
the Wraiths in the Haunted Hospital

I'm getting that "should I be buying better armour and weapons or do I just suck" feeling. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Roll, use block and different signs. Silver sword is better with monsters, steel sword with humans. Use bombs and contraptions to shave some enemies numbers. With the skills upgrades Geralt should become a beast too...

Nezabyte

Neo Member
Was wondering if anyone else is having problems with 2 events. A bit spoilery:

1) French monk -
beat him at dice poker and says something unlocked in Extras page, but I don't see anything other than credits.

2) Two guys in Flotsam
want me to drink some potion or something and record its effects. After I accept their request, they walk off into a house and just stand around. Can't talk to them.

epmode

epmode said:
Since it looks like there's no item storage, does anyone know if it's possible to pick and choose what you take out of a container when playing with a controller? I know you can do it with a keyboard...
Anyone? This is going to make me switch back to KB/M, I just know it.

Truant

Nezabyte said:
Was wondering if anyone else is having problems with 2 events. A bit spoilery:

1) French monk -
beat him at dice poker and says something unlocked in Extras page, but I don't see anything other than credits.

2) Two guys in Flotsam
want me to drink some potion or something and record its effects. After I accept their request, they walk off into a house and just stand around. Can't talk to them.

2 - Same thing happened to me. I forgot about it and moved on.

Volcynika

Did anyone else with the Steam version get the "Perfectionist" achievement (kill 10 enemies in a row without losing any vitality) really easily? I started the first battle in the Prologue, and like one or two enemies I killed and it popped up! I found it amusing.

Also, totally never going to attempt Insane difficulty!

Van Buren

Spat_triate said:
Does anyone have any idea what the blue and green dots on the mini map mean?

I've looked over the manual and the game guide that ship with the game and cannot find any explicit reference to those dots.

What I did notice was that talking to those dots resulted in unique conversations. One led to a storyteller recounting Geralt's history with Adda, and another involved a dwarf complaining about Temeria's stance towards non-humans.

Arozay

Just got wombo combo'ed to death between two wraiths, the game is so much harder than the first (which is good, Quen is actually useful this time around).

BeeDog

Alright, I hope someone can help me.

I played the dice game vs. the Monk in the basement of the Floatsam tavern. After a couple of wins, a tutorial-like box popped up called "Lucky Roll"; the monk said he'd give me something and the box mentioned something about checking a menu option to "redeem" something. The problem is, I didn't pay enough attention.

What's this about? Can some kind soul help me out with this? :p Thanks!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Wow what an opening portion of the game. You're not even thick into the game play yet but the story is so driven and I'm hanging on every bit of it. Graphics cannot be understated in this one. Turned bloom off and I like it a lot better. I'll take less glowing everything (especially faces) over nicer sun glow.

wilflare

anyone know what's the keyboard/controller button to scan your surroundings for items
Witcher1 had it on "alt" and it shows the object names..

the medallion scan doesn't help much

Carm said:
Has anyone's armor enhancements suddenly disappeared when loading a previous save? Twice now I could have sworn I had used it on my raven's armor, only to load up the save later and it's missing.

How do you use armor enhancements? I haven't messed with the inventory too much but it seems I can't assign one to my armor. Do I need a blacksmith or something? I just finished the prologue.

UrbanRats

Can someone explain to me how the map works? I don't have the game yet, but i read that it has only 4 loading screens, so is it freeroam, in terms of map? How does it work?

Suairyu said:
How are the English voices this time around? I felt even the Extended Edition re-casts left a lot to be desired. Polish was the only way to play that game.

If improved, are they improved to the point the Polish VA is no longer better, or is the native VA still the best experience?

So far, they're great, except I've never liked Triss's VA--she was always a little campy. I don't know if she was recast or anything, but she sounds the same.

I just got out of the prologue, but so far, VA is top notch.

Sir Garbageman said:
Really solid. My rig: q9550 quadcore 3.1 ghz, 5770, 4 gigs of RAM and I've been running it on high, 1,600 x 900 and looks amazing with steady FPS.

Hahaha, we have the same rig. Yeah, I'm running at 1680x1050 with a solid 30 fps on high settings, uber disabled, bloom disabled, 16x AF forced via CCC, and the other bells and whistles (blur, DOF, etc.) enabled.

AllIsOneIsNone said:
How do you use armor enhancements? I haven't messed with the inventory too much but it seems I can't assign one to my armor. Do I need a blacksmith or something? I just finished the prologue.

I think the armor has to have an upgrade slot?

Solo

Its amazing to me how amazing the game looks AND performs. It wasn't so long ago that Eastern Europe games were guaranteed to be poorly optimized and janky. This is as polished as any AAA Western game.

Shame that the thread title makes no references to plowing.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| I solve human problems and plow them afterwards

EvolveTom

AllIsOneIsNone said:
Read your journal -- while I do work with CDP RED on the game's PR, I haven't dabbled much in crafting/enhancements, but I assume it works the same as crafting in general: you need to find a craftsman with the appropriate diagrams. Not sure if diagrams are required for the enhancements, though. Will see what happens when I reach my first craftsman :)

Spat_triate

EvolveTom said:
Read your journal -- while I do work with CDP RED on the game's PR, I haven't dabbled much in crafting/enhancements, but I assume it works the same as crafting in general: you need to find a craftsman with the appropriate diagrams. Not sure if diagrams are required for the enhancements, though. Will see what happens when I reach my first craftsman :)

Nope, you just have to double-click it. It is automatically applied to the cuirass you are currently wearing.

Salaadin

This game is insane. I cant believe how well put together the world, characters, and story are. It feels so real and surreal at the same time....its amazing.

I remember in The Witcher 1 where about a quarter of the way into the game, Id get so fed up with killing things that I would run away until the enemies gave up. In The Witcher 2, I find myself anticipating each fight and actually wanting to fight. Each battle is challenging yet fun.

Its hard to believe that Im only 5-6 hours in and Im this engrossed. It is literally ALL Im thinking about today. Why do I have to work?

UrbanRats said:
Can someone explain to me how the map works? I don't have the game yet, but i read that it has only 4 loading screens, so is it freeroam, in terms of map? How does it work?

There are several areas but each one is confined to a particular chapter of the game. Each load is for each chapter (3 chapters + epilogue, Im assuming). The world streams and there are no loads within the chapter so you can explore the town and its outskirts, bounce in and out of peoples houses, and do your thing without seeing a single loading bar.

Soule

wilflare said:
anyone know what's the keyboard/controller button to scan your surroundings for items
Witcher1 had it on "alt" and it shows the object names..

the medallion scan doesn't help much
It's night time now and I just hit 'z' and it gave all the lootable items a nice red glow. Perhaps that helps? Don't know if there's an exact same function as there was in Witcher 1 but I'm quite happy with the glowy thing.

Darklord

Banned
Err, so how do I fight in this game? I'm at the battle and the first real enemies I fight I'm getting my arse kicked. The fuck am I doing wrong here? The tutorials came up but vanished after like 3 seconds and I have no idea what the controls are beyond left and right mouse. :[

Minsc

Gold Member
Anyone try playing on insane difficulty yet? Or even Hard? I picked hard, but it sounds like I might be in for a very tough ride.

Mr. Snrub said:
Where the hell is Dennis?

Yea, we need 100s of huge ubersampled screens! :) He checked in at one point, said he was away/on vacation, and I thought he said just got back when he posted, but maybe not.

LiK

EvolveTom said:
The issue with the CRC check seems to be on old DVD drives that can't read dual-layer discs
They don't mention that on their support page.and I don't think my drive is that old....

Spookie

Darklord said:
The tutorials came up but vanished after like 3 seconds and I have no idea what the controls are beyond left and right mouse. :[

The manual gives you the basics but space is dodge, e is block/parry, q is spell equipped and r is use item in your quick slot.

Hold down ctrl for a spell/item wheel.

Edit: You'll need to dodge. A lot. At least till you skill up sword play.

my game wont launch, I tried to verify game cache, disabled my virus software and disabled my firewall. Any other suggestions? It just goes back to the launch menu everytime i try to run the game...

Ricker

Darklord said:
Err, so how do I fight in this game? I'm at the battle and the first real enemies I fight I'm getting my arse kicked. The fuck am I doing wrong here? The tutorials came up but vanished after like 3 seconds and I have no idea what the controls are beyond left and right mouse. :[

Use the Qeng skill...just open the wheel by pressing CTRL and click on the one that says Qeng,back on the game screen just hit Q to use it,it absorbs damage,that`s how I made it through those first fights after dying a lot and not using that skill...

panda21

Sir Garbageman said:
Really solid. My rig: q9550 quadcore 3.1 ghz, 5770, 4 gigs of RAM and I've been running it on high, 1,600 x 900 and looks amazing with steady FPS.

oh sweet. i have an i5 750, 4gb and a 5770 so it should be ok :D

i read in a review that the combat is a bit like demon's souls? is that true?

Ceebs

Does anyone know if you need to keep the formulas and plans in your inventory or are they learned once you acquire them?

Echoplx

Domcorleone said:
my game wont launch, I tried to verify game cache, disabled my virus software and disabled my firewall. Any other suggestions? It just goes back to the launch menu everytime i try to run the game...

What's your monitors resolution?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Still getting random freezing. Like I was in this interior section then opened a door and as soon as the outside was in view it froze for like 2 minutes. Not a clue what the heck is causing this as I have 2GB of video and 8GB of system memory.

It freezes up my entire PC. I was able to be on the phone while doing this but nothing would budge for 2 minutes. I have like 1.7 out of 8GB of ram being used prior to launching the game.

I work now so I hope someone can give me an answer. Any ideas, please PM me. It runs great and for the most part, freeze free. I was able to play for about an hour before this freeze happened. Radeon 6950 to 6970 so I really don't know if it's a GPU issue or something else.

Ryuuga

Banned
Does this game support DX 11 at the moment? I was under the impression that it would be phased in post launch alongside titles like Crysis 2, Metro and Homefront.

Fake Edit: Either way I'm buying this game after work.

Volcynika

Minsc said:
Anyone try playing on insane difficulty yet? Or even Hard? I picked hard, but it sounds like I might be in for a very tough ride.

Yea, we need 100s of huge ubersampled screens! :) He checked in at one point, said he was away/on vacation, and I thought he said just got back when he posted, but maybe not.

I'm on hard, but barely even into the prologue. I'll probably stay away from insane! D:

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Ryuuga said:
Does this game support DX 11 at the moment? I was under the impression that it would be phased in post launch alongside titles like Crysis 2, Metro and Homefront.

Fake Edit: Either way I'm buying this game after work.

No dx 11 and no plans for support as far as I know.

Minsc said:
I'm on hard, doing quests in chapter 1 atm. As long as you know your signs and potions and not always in a hurry, It's a fair challenge.

panda21 said:
oh sweet. i have an i5 750, 4gb and a 5770 so it should be ok :D

i read in a review that the combat is a bit like demon's souls? is that true?

Yea you should be fine. Never played Demon Souls but combat is definitely challenging, even on Normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom