• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

IJoel

8800 GTS reporting!

Anyway, I figure someone might be interested about the performance with my setup:
Q6600 OCed to 3GHz
4GB RAM
8800 GTS

My config is a mix between low and medium:
1440 x 900
Texture Downscaling: Low
Shadow Quality/Texture Memory: Medium
Shadow Lights: Low
LOD Distance: Very near
Vignette: Enabled
Bloom: Enabled
Wet Surfaces Rain Effect: Enabled
Decals: Medium spec
Dept of Field - Cutscenes: Enabled
Rest are disabled.

Framerate is generally in the 30s.

Need some help on a couple of quests:

Troll Trouble
I decided to help the troll find who killed his wife but I have no idea who to talk to. I've talked to all of the obvious people and they were of no help.

A quest relating to the main quest in Chapter 1
Well, I think it relates to the main quest. Anyway, I'm supposed to find an ingredient to make a potion that prevents poisoning from a creature I need to fight with a witch, but I don't know what to do to make it. I've got the ingredients already.

Varna

jim-jam bongs said:
So far my swords and armour have been the only real advantage. Little disappointed that Triss has forgiven me for giving Alvin to Shani and the squirrels don't seem to like me especially.

I figured they would have a cannon path. Probably neutral + Triss. I did pick Shani in one of my games but I really hated her after seeing what a bitch she becomes if you chose triss.

I can just edit the money in my save file.

Tokubetsu

LastWindow said:

Troll Trouble
I decided to help the troll find who killed his wife but I have no idea who to talk to. I've talked to all of the obvious people and they were of no help.

Well, I think it relates to the main quest. Anyway, I'm supposed to find an ingredient to make a potion that prevents poisoning from a creature I need to fight with a witch, but I don't know what to do to make it. I've got the ingredients already.

For the 2nd one:
Meditate. Ctrl then click the symbol in the middle. Now click Alchemy and select the formula (It's called Mongoose IIRC)

Tokubetsu said:
For the 2nd one:
Meditate. Ctrl then click the symbol in the middle. Now click Alchemy and select the formula (It's called Mongoose IIRC)

Ah, I can't believe that didn't occur to me! I've been running all over place for over an hour looking for someone I thought had to make it for me, lol.

Exuro

In chapter one for Mystic River, where is
the drop box?

EDIT: Crap there's a dice quest? I never got it. : /

Varna said:
I figured they would have a cannon path. Probably neutral + Triss. I did pick Shani in one of my games but I really hated her after seeing what a bitch she becomes if you chose triss.

I can just edit the money in my save file.
Yeah I did regret going with Shani, but
I didn't trust Triss after overhearing her talking to the mirror.
I also kind of regretted taking a side but I was playing on hard, and too many neutral decisions result in having to fight twice as many enemies.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I'm having lots of problems with DLC. Everytime I type in my mysterious merchant pack code, it says "invalid cd key" (the code has no 0's or O's).

Also, I registered my copy; but troll troubles isn't showing up under Downloadable Content.

Can anyone help?

jim-jam bongs said:
Yeah I did regret going with Shani, but I didn't trust Triss after
overhearing her talking to the mirror.
I also kind of regretted taking a side but I was playing on hard, and too many neutral decisions result in having to fight twice as many enemies.

Did that happen in the first game? What was she saying? I'd like to know - didn't play the first one but this is something I'd like to hear.

Varna said:
Odd. I haven't noticed any such leaks. Been playing for hours. Seems like it's taking longer to load the save data now that there are a hundred saves though.
Disregard. I just did a clean reinstall of the latest NVIDIA beta drivers without the 3D junk. Everything runs smoothly now.

Van Buren

jim-jam bongs said:
Yeah I did regret going with Shani, but I didn't trust Triss after
overhearing her talking to the mirror.

That was intentionally done I feel - the whole 'Is Triss trustworthy?' angle in the earlier chapters of the first game. I went with Triss in my recent playthrough after going with Shani the first time around, and Triss seems infinitely better suited to working with Geralt and pulling him out of mishaps.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
LastWindow said:

Troll Trouble
Have you visited
Sendler's place in the village right outside of Flotsam? Take a look at his choice of wall decor. :p

Oh shit, the
haunted manor
from In The Claws of Madness looks crazy. The whole sidequest is crazy.

Don't forget to ask Cedric about it.

jim-jam bongs said:
Yeah I did regret going with Shani,
but I didn't trust Triss after overhearing her talking to the mirror.

She
saves your life twice, why would you not give her the benifit of the doubt?, btw you should really spoiler tag the trust part too, trusting her or not is a big choice and your post clearly suggests the player should

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Just got done with the prologue. Good stuff, really good stuff. They went all out with this game, it's better in so many ways.

Only negative is the comic-y cutscenes. They're rather shitty, surprisingly. First game had significantly nicer artwork. Oh well, hardly a dealbreaker.

Carm

So my complaints from earlier about controller support being iffy in some spots(face buttons suddenly not working, can't select between three objects on attributes screen) seems to be a game issue. Controls suddenly not responding is mentioned in the readme file and the attributes screen, not being able to easily select between character abilities, knowledge and abilities is also an issue using the arrow keys.

Combat is fun, though the lockon feature is spotty, but easily gotten around. I don't particularly care for the ui in regards to the inventory. I don't like having to scroll through items, not being able to see everything at once. Also, I don't like not having a sort button in inventory, unless it's a feature not listed. Little issues, doesn't really detract from the game, but still a tad annoying, particularly the no sorting since you could in the first game.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Coldsnap said:
Is this game keeping all of my auto saves? Wtf... o_O??

TW1 did the same thing. Just clean out most of them before each session.

GuiltybyAssociation said:
Only negative is the comic-y cutscenes. They're rather shitty, surprisingly. First game had significantly nicer artwork. Oh well, hardly a dealbreaker.

Agreed, they look pretty goofy. The TW1 style watercolor cutscenes are probably too lo-fi for this game but I don't care for the style in the animated cutscenes.

Game is so good wtf is the budget of this game. Fuck me this game is on it's own level. Sooo good once you get the hang of combat it's still challenging to fight those armored up fuckers.

Coldsnap

Technosteve said:
Game is so good wtf is the budget of this game. Fuck me this game is on it's own level. Sooo good once you get the hang of combat it's still challenging to fight those armored up fuckers.

haaahaaa best comment

Psi

bengraven said:
Are we sure this is The Witcher?

Five hours in and other than some friendly fondling, I haven't fucked anything. ha

Geralt's junk has a restraining order placed on it for this game.

Echoplx

Technosteve said:

8 million dolla

ExMachina said:
Have you visited
Sendler's place in the village right outside of Flotsam? Take a look at his choice of wall decor. :p

Nope, missed that! Thank you. I've just been going around looking for alchemists.

Varna

If anyone cares... I used the save files in the OP to import and the fucken game was giving me 245000 starting money. Obviously that's a ridiculous number... probably enough to never worry about money again. If you want to fix up the import file you have to use the save game editor and remove all gold and delete all items in your inventory. That will give you the normal starting gold of 110 or so.

Jube3

Having trouble with the block (I just started though with no Witcher 1 experience) is it just something I have to get used to(or get better with) or does that improve through talent points? It feels like I am not always bringing my sword up to block.

Deadly

LastWindow said:

Troll Trouble

Where did you get Troll Trouble? I'm still in chapter one and don't have that quest.

Exuro said:
In chapter one for Mystic River, where is
the drop box?

EDIT: Crap there's a dice quest? I never got it. : /
It's in
the house of the guy who you report your bounties to. Near the place where they hang people.

Psi

Jube3 said:
Having trouble with the block (I just started though with no Witcher 1 experience) is it just something I have to get used to(or get better with) or does that improve through talent points? It feels like I am not always bringing my sword up to block.

Block uses Vigor so if you're empty from using signs you can't block/parry or whatever. Took me a while to figure out.

Technosteve said:

8 million..
Really puts those bloated 50-100+ million dollar budgets (or sometimes 100 million advertising budgets) for other games into perspective.

With talent you should get 10 witchers for that.
In before 'but the wages, won't anyone think of the children'.
clearly eastern european devs work for free, international marketing is free, localisation is free for those suckas too, equipment is so much cheaper there as are licenses etc.
After making this game they go back to their straw hut milking goats

Fëanor

Well, I have a new problem now with the game.

I try installing the game, but the pc thinks the game is already installed so it wants to uninstall instead. No ideas what to do now. Before this, the installation would hang at the installation of the redistributable process.

Any suggestions? I got retail version.

toasty_T said:
Oh shit, the
haunted manor
from In The Claws of Madness looks crazy. The whole sidequest is crazy.

Don't forget to ask Cedric about it.
I'm working on this one now. Playing on fucking Easy and getting my ass handed to me beyond what I can imagine. I still don't quite have a grip on combat tho. Bombs are essential. Overall tho the feel of that quest is amazing. Feels like demons souls.

bengraven

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I'm working on this one now. Playing on fucking Easy and getting my ass handed to me beyond what I can imagine. I still don't quite have a grip on combat tho. Bombs are essential. Overall tho the feel of that quest is amazing. Feels like demons souls.

I'm getting my ass handed to me in that cave in Chapter 1 where you're surrounded by nekkers. Lvl 6 and fucking dying.

Snuggler said:
can witchers get blue balls?

cause those suckers are probably about to burst

I do like that moment in the prologue where he looks at Triss and basically says, "look, can we go back to the tent? I still have a raging hard on since this morning and the war is boring me".

Blizzard

Banned
Volcynika said:
Are you able to delete old saves in game, or do I have to go to the saves folder (wherever it is)?
The saves folder is in your documents directory. I don't know a way to delete them ingame.

I still don't see anyone with information about chests, so I'll assume that I will need to just sell stuff to shopkeepers and bite the price increase if I need to buy it back. =/

I find the animations/acting a little janky, and even though I tried to set my texture memory to large (second setting from max), some things still look blurry/lowres (AF forced in driver). Other than that though, I'm pleasantly surprised. I never played the first Witcher even though I own it, and I had to make myself stop playing this one. I'm not even through the prologue, since I'm being OCD and looting every single thing I can. I did find one or two things that glow (like a shelf behind a bed) but you can't seem to get to them or loot them, which is frustrating. :p

I died SO MANY TIMES on normal/medium difficulty on the dragon bridge. I finally figured out there was a bit of a pattern and you can...
take covered under the roof until it burns up, kinda...then the next concentrated fire blast will kill you
. That was even with trying to use the shield spell regularly. Framerate has been surprisingly good with an e8400 and 5850, but I'm in the prologue so I imagine it will get horrible once the main game starts.

Edgeward

Volcynika said:
Are you able to delete old saves in game, or do I have to go to the saves folder (wherever it is)?

I saw no options when trying to load a save to delete them, so I think you just have to go in the folder and delete them.

The combat is still taking some getting used to, the way the tutorials show up is messed up. Why wait after I had to battle 5 guys to then tell me how to lock on to people? And the comboing into heavy attacks seems off and I haven't been able to get it done consistently.

Just finished the prologue, really enjoyed it so far. The way the game flows feels wholly unique, outside of when it goes to cutscenes it moves from to beat to beat so seamlessly to the next objective.

Had to unfortunately pare the settings down to low and on 720 only to get a good framrate on my 5670 HD. Hope patches give better performances because even on low the game look incredible.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Maybe it's just my headphones, but does anyone else feel like the audio levels could have been adjusted a little better? Specifically, there have been some very noisy parts where it's kinda hard to hear conversations with all the claptrap going on at the same time.

Tokubetsu

Snuggler said:
Maybe it's just my headphones, but does anyone else feel like the audio levels could have been adjusted a little better? Specifically, there have been some very noisy parts where it's kinda hard to hear conversations with all the claptrap going on at the same time.

Definitely. One real gripe so far. They should have at least separated Ambient sounds, music and dilog in the options.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Snuggler said:
Yeah, sound mix isn't too great... I've played it both with headphones and through my speakers, and there are a lot of times the voices are much too low.

Oh well, subtitles!

SneakyStephan said:
8 million..
Really puts those bloated 50-100+ million dollar budgets (or sometimes 100 million advertising budgets) for other games into perspective.

With talent you should get 10 witchers for that.
In before 'but the wages, won't anyone think of the children'.
clearly eastern european devs work for free, international marketing is free, localisation is free for those suckas too, equipment is so much cheaper there as are licenses etc.
After making this game they go back to their straw hut milking goats
The English voice work is really well done. It feels like the prologue can be it's own game it so full of stuff. So far I am enjoying the shit out of this game. I got bored with the loading and the graphics of the first one but I am glad I bought the second game. This game feels like it has so many Japanese rpg influences the OCD button mashing for hidden items and we don't give a fuck if this is the tutorial you are going to get your ass handed to you by the first dudes you meet. they fixed a lot of the UI and item management system and made combat fun.

The production values are off the roof maybe these guys can keep up the quality with the expansions. Now if the new deus ex meets my expectation I am ging to be a happy pc gamer this year.

ColonialRaptor said:
Did that happen in the first game? What was she saying? I'd like to know - didn't play the first one but this is something I'd like to hear.

It's pretty vague, but she talks with another sorceress about manipulating an unidentified man. Afterwards the other sorceress does say "And what of your witcher?" implying that they weren't talking about Geralt but it made me wonder about whether she was really all that trustworthy.

And play the first game!

Van Buren said:
That was intentionally done I feel - the whole 'Is Triss trustworthy?' angle in the earlier chapters of the first game. I went with Triss in my recent playthrough after going with Shani the first time around, and Triss seems infinitely better suited to working with Geralt and pulling him out of mishaps.

In retrospect it definitely was a deftly played red-herring. And
I definitely would have preferred to have a mage with me during the final encounter rather than Shani jogging round weakly prodding at things with her fucking dagger.

SneakyStephan said:
She
saves your life twice, why would you not give her the benifit of the doubt?, btw you should really spoiler tag the trust part too, trusting her or not is a big choice and your post clearly suggests the player should

Fair call, edited. Probably best to avoid spoilers from the first game come to think of it, I'm sure there are a lot of people playing TW2 who didn't play the first game.

So, the animated cutscene towards the end of the Prologue- my game (which has been running fine up until this point) Just chugs along at the cutscene. Is this a common/know problem? Its hardly watchable. Video and audio are very stilted.

Edit: Nevermind, replayed and it worked fine. Weird.

_Xenon_

Banned
Blizzard said:
The saves folder is in your documents directory. I don't know a way to delete them ingame.

I still don't see anyone with information about chests, so I'll assume that I will need to just sell stuff to shopkeepers and bite the price increase if I need to buy it back. =/
Yeah I was trying to figure out these 2 things as well. Not sure why they have to change it from TW1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom