• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psi

Snuggler said:
Maybe it's just my headphones, but does anyone else feel like the audio levels could have been adjusted a little better? Specifically, there have been some very noisy parts where it's kinda hard to hear conversations with all the claptrap going on at the same time.

Yeah I just leave subtitles on to make sure I know what's being said.

Sober

Van Buren said:
Regarding controller support, has anyone managed to map functions like quicksaving or the map screen to buttons ?
F5 still works.

Actually switched to the controller and I am loving it even though I sorta promised myself to M+KB it, ah fuck it. The only weird problems is that pressing Insert doesn't actually swap from M+KB to my 360 controller (yes, wired).

Also, the only menus I have problems with are the ones in the Character Sheet, specifically when I try to pick a mutagen or if I'm trying to re-read tactics/research on monsters, etc. Both the D-pad and the stick are WAY too sensitive when browsing those specific pages (one tap can bring my 5 subjects down instead of 1). Also the keyboard arrow keys do the same thing, so that seems to be the only mouse-friendly screen in the game right now.

zoner said:
Anyone else read Aryan's confession? Pretty fucking gross.
He's a mother lover! (yeah seriously, wtf was he thinking?)

Chiggs

Gold Member
The textures in this game are going to make it very hard to play console ports from here on out. I just feel so incredibly spoiled.

epmode

Snuggler said:
Maybe it's just my headphones, but does anyone else feel like the audio levels could have been adjusted a little better? Specifically, there have been some very noisy parts where it's kinda hard to hear conversations with all the claptrap going on at the same time.
I had to turn on subtitles because of this. And I normally HATE subtitles.

I'd love an option to raise dialogue volume over ambient sound.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
jim-jam bongs said:
Fair call, edited. Probably best to avoid spoilers from the first game come to think of it, I'm sure there are a lot of people playing TW2 who didn't play the first game.
Pity for them, missing one of the better RPGs I've played this decade ^_^

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
epmode said:
I had to turn on subtitles because of this. And I normally HATE subtitles.

Same here. I never play with subtitles but I need em now. Hopefully CD P will tweak it, when you go into a convo it should minimize the music/ambient sounds.

Argh. Those popup tips fade away way too fast.
I got some sort of achievement thing for getting a two pair on my first roll against a certain opponent in dice, but I'm not sure what it said. It said something about "check the Extras menu" and something about GOG (lol? I'm using the Steam version). Well, I checked the Extras menu and there's nothing there but the credits. Wtf?

Zeal

Banned
this game is so fucking amazing. i don't even know how to go back to consoles after this.

still a little in shock.

Sober

So, anyone find the Endriag queen contract super hard? Like
barely enough room to evade, she "evade bugs" if you step on some bad terrain and they love spinning even when immobilized, spent all evening on that stupid quest

Also, I have the GOG version, I downloaded the Troll DLC but it isn't showing up in my journal even though I picked up the notice. Where did it go?

Chiggs

Gold Member
Zeal said:
this game is so fucking amazing. i don't even know how to go back to consoles after this.

still a little in shock.

Yeah, same here. Some of the cut scenes are just amazing. For instance, the one with the, ahem, blood being spilled on the floor was incredible.

This game is just very well made. So much love went into this one.

gillty

Banned
Revolutionary said:
Argh. Those popup tips fade away way too fast.
I got some sort of achievement thing for getting a two pair on my first roll against a certain opponent in dice, but I'm not sure what it said. It said something about "check the Extras menu" and something about GOG (lol? I'm using the Steam version). Well, I checked the Extras menu and there's nothing there but the credits. Wtf?
Popup tips can be found by accessing the tutorial section of the journal (j).

What the hell are the controls arm wrestling? I've been trying to beat these two dudes for about 20 minutes now and still no luck.

Game didn't tell me shit.

Deadly

Sober said:
So, anyone find the Endriag queen contract super hard? Like
barely enough room to evade, she "evade bugs" if you step on some bad terrain and they love spinning even when immobilized, spent all evening on that stupid quest

Also, I have the GOG version, I downloaded the Troll DLC but it isn't showing up in my journal even though I picked up the notice. Where did it go?
Took me a few tries too but basically
roll away, cast yrden, roll to back/side then slice away, repeat. Casting quen helps too.

Chiggs

Gold Member
toasty_T said:
What the hell are the controls arm wrestling? I've been trying to beat these two dudes for about 20 minutes now and still no luck.

That was fucking lame. Not even a goddamn clue on how to win.

"Here you go! Figure it out!"

Deadly

toasty_T said:

You just move the mouse and try to stay on the yellow line.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
toasty_T said:

Yeah, I only knew this because I watched the developer diaries. You're supposed to keep the icon over the yellow line as it shrinks.

Zeliard

Sober said:

You sure you installed it after you downloaded it? When you go to downloadable content there should be a green check mark next to Troll Trouble. After that on the notice board there's a note about the troll and it gives you the quest. Should be in your journal.

Psi

Revolutionary said:
I didn't think it would show up there since it seemed to be some kind of in-game achievement, but it is indeed there.

I still don't understand it, though. Here's a picture of it: http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/594685399074797261/25BA5F6941BF0E025E5C5FCF42980BFDD727E46B/
Like I said, there's nothing new in the Extras menu.

Did anyone else get this?

Damn, I didn't figure that one out. I had a full house on the first roll too, I should have rolled one away :( I kept trying to figure out why I was winning and he still acted like an ass.

thetrin said:
Yeah, I only knew this because I watched the developer diaries. You're supposed to keep the icon over the yellow line as it shrinks.

Yup, got it. This wouldn't have occurred to me since you can't see a cursor.

On another note, this game has the best forest (in both design and prettiness) that I've ever seen.

Blizzard

Banned
toasty_T said:

I read the manual first. ;) I should probably look at it again since there's so much to absorb, though.

Wallach

toasty_T said:
Man...u...al?

vJqSG.gif

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Wow, I was doing fine until I entered the nekker's lair. I can last about 30 seconds there. Guess I can't do that right now, but I'm lvl 6 atm.

Saige

I must do better.
I wished they kept the thing from the Wither 1 that would just tell you if you already have read a book when selecting it. I like having my glossary full of any information that I can get from books, but trying to figure out which ones I actually need to buy from the shops seems like it will become tedious when there are only a few new ones in a long list of old books I don’t need.

Or maybe I’m missing something, since that seems like a strange oversight.

BoobPhysics101 said:
Cross-posted from Witcher 2 Technical thread:

CROSSFIRE USERS! Try this!

From nvnews forums:
Quote:
Radeon Pro with the Dirt 2 Crossfire profile forced and Alternate Frame Rendering enabled = Both of my cards working at 95%+ and my performance is great now!

Cannot believed I overlooked this. Intro now running at 60 fps. Thanks for the heads up, Boob.

drkOne

So... When are you supposed to get your Silver Sword back? I'm lacking Silver Ores to craft it. I'm level 6, currently in the fight with
the Kayran.

zonezeus

Zeliard said:
Anyone go off and do the Troll Trouble DLC yet? Seems intriguing, I want to go for it early if I can.

Nice and quite easy quest, and the troll was hilarious to talk to (at least in Polish version)

drkOne said:
So... When are you supposed to get your Silver Sword back? I'm lacking Silver Ores to craft it. I'm level 6, currently in the fight with
the Kayran.

You can buy silver ore from the dwarven blacksmith in Flotsam, the same guy who can also craft you your silver sword.

_Xenon_

Banned
elwes said:
The music in this game is incredible.

01 - Assassins of Kings

Reminds me of a Danny Elfman score, except much more twisted. Like Elfman dropped some acid and confronted his inner demons.

02 - The Nearby Peaceful Place

Lord of the Rings mixed with the end of Gladiator. So beautiful. CDP really outdid themselves with this score.
Yes. Can't believe they can pull out this masterpiece with so little budget.

Glad I bought the premium version which includes the OST and full walkthrough guide book.

Psi

drkOne said:
the Kayran.

I know you can buy a couple of silver ore and have one crafted by the blacksmith. I think they're over 200 orens each though. I imported a save file and
had Aerondight imported in and it stayed with me after the other silver sword was lost.

Just completed the prologue and The Assassin of Kings has pretty much blown me away.

It looks like CD Projekt took the complaints about the first Witchers pace in the opening chapters to heart. From stomping around the outskirts of Vizima and running errands for the locals to
taking part in the end-game of a siege and invading a castle as part of Foltest's army, as his personal witcher no less, facing down a dragon, fighting through hordes of rebel soldiers, rescuing his bastards and breaking the siege only to watch Foltest meet his gruesome end. Simply epic.
There's definitely a flair for the cinematic in this game that was missing from the first, although I'm not too sure of what to think about the hammer-the-left-mouse-button furiously moments.

The combat system is easily one of the best yet out of any action rpg's I've played over the years. I'm kind of sad to see the sword stances and combo loops done away with (in the minority, I know) but the simplification is for the best, there's just such a greater emphasis on movement and using the correct strength of strike. The combat in Assassin of Kings is way more kinetic, rather than worrying about switching between the correct stances given the mob you're fighting or continuing a combo loop on a specific enemy, you're parrying blows to get an opening against a shielded opponent, darting around and using an armored enemies slower speed to your advantage. The Aard, or rather the one I have at my disposal now, feel so much more important and integral to the combat. Stagger a lightly armed soldier with the wind Aard, two heavy hits and a light, he's done for.

In the first Witcher I primarily focused on leveling up alchemy and melee, relying on brute strength and alchemical buffs to see me through any given fight. Based on my experience with the Prologue it seems like that simply will not be the case with Assassin of Kings. Altering how and where you can consume a potion, only while meditating, while likely completely change my playstyle.

I kind of miss the look of the old inventory and character development menus in the first Witcher, they were overlays that appeared over top of the game, they didn't pull you away from or out of the game. Plus there was that bad ass little pan around Geralt while he meditated and the world carried on around him. I agree that the menus themselves were kind of clunky in the first Witcher and that Assassin of Kings seems to be a win in terms of functionality. And I admit, they do look pretty slick.

Aesthetically speaking this game is such a monstrous leap in quality over the first it's damned near absurd. The character models, the environments, the effects, the texture work, it's all so damned pretty. CD Projekt worked their asses off on this game and it shows. This game looks like it's something special.

Zeliard said:
Anyone go off and do the Troll Trouble DLC yet? Seems intriguing, I want to go for it early if I can.

Where do I find my CD key in the Steam version of the Witcher 2 to register? Normally you just right click in your library and the second or third option is view your cd key, but that's not present.

Chiggs

Gold Member
This game just keeps giving and giving. The locales are so varied and beautiful. It's hard not to stop and stare at the surroundings.

Exuro

Well I'm at the beginning of Chapter 2. Spent 14 hours playing the game today lol. Really enjoying it but I need to take a break. I've already seen a few choices that look like they'll make huge differences.

First US review? Games radar Review 10/10- I am a little leery though then reviewer probably didn't finish the game or at worst just reviewed the preview build as the review itself is very superficial.

Exuro

Deadly said:
The Kayran...WTF. Tips anyone?
Run to one side, put down Yrden or whatever, stay in the general area while it flails about after you cut the tentacle and you won't get hit, then rinse and repeat. I died like 10 times before "getting" it and when i did kill it I didn't even get hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom