• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition |OT| Bow low, you stand before a head crowned.

Haunted

oxmjeprz.png

What?
Dungeon crawling? Not knowing the developer?

It's like they want to reinforce the dumb console gamer stereotype.

Xater

The Quest Handbook that comes with the game is pretty cool. It's like getting a complete guide with your game. Reminds me of the SNES days where you got something like that with Secret of Mana. Well it's look quite as nice as those. Just black and white and mostly text, but it should do if you ever get stuck in a quest.

What dungeon?

There's one literal dungeon but other than that you're outside most of the time

Unless they're talking about
that one mine

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Our review wil be up in one hour and ten minutes :p.

How approachable is the combat in this? I've heard that Witcher 1 was more complex and they dumbed it down a shade for this one?

For context, I'm used to lots of action games and stuff, and I like hack n' slashy type things.

How approachable is the combat in this? I've heard that Witcher 1 was more complex and they dumbed it down a shade for this one?

For context, I'm used to lots of action games and stuff, and I like hack n' slashy type things.

This is definitely no hack 'n slash.

There is careful defending and attacking necessary to survive with a lot of signs and trap usage.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

I don't know if I'd call The Witcher's combat complex. It was a weird point-and-click / real-time hybrid.

TW2 is basically Demon's/Dark Souls. Methodical real time action, built around exploiting weaknesses, waiting for openings, and being patient. The first third of the game is the hardest chunk as you learn the controls and level up Geralt, and then rest is pretty easy (high difficulties aside).

It's not hack and slashy in the sense that you can run into a group of five enemies and easily take them down, especially to begin with, but it's all real time. Defend, use magic, drink potions, and you'll manage just fund.

Zeliard

I never had a big issue with the core mechanics of TW1's combat as some others did, but TW2's combat is vastly more engaging and varied. I can't even imagine what sort of argument a person would put forth to claim otherwise. It's also less ripe for silly abuse since you can no longer drink (i.e. spam) potions during combat.

Even lore-wise that change makes much more sense; Geralt imbibes them shits before combat even in the opening Witcher 1 cinematic. I don't know about the books but I have to assume Geralt isn't just guzzling them down in between sword strikes.

I don't know if I'd call The Witcher's combat complex. It was a weird point-and-click / real-time hybrid.

TW2 is basically Demon's/Dark Souls. Methodical real time action, built around exploiting weaknesses, waiting for openings, and being patient. The first third of the game is the hardest chunk as you learn the controls and level up Geralt, and then rest is pretty easy (high difficulties aside).

It's not hack and slashy in the sense that you can run into a group of five enemies and easily take them down, especially to begin with, but it's all real time. Defend, use magic, drink potions, and you'll manage just fund.

Hmmm. That sounds good to me, I'm familiar with Demon's Souls enough. Thanks!

SoulClap

I never had a big issue with the core mechanics of TW1's combat as some others did, but TW2's combat is vastly more engaging and varied.

Call me crazy but I prefer the combat in Witcher 1. The combat in the 2 never felt very responsive to me. I know there was a patch to alleviate that but I don't remember it making much of a difference. Maybe it's better on KB/M?

Zeliard

Call me crazy but I prefer the combat in Witcher 1. The combat in the 2 never felt very responsive to me. I know there was a patch to alleviate that but I don't remember it making much of a difference. Maybe it's better on KB/M?

I used kb/m and it always felt great to me. I could get off dodge-rolls, forward thrusts, links, etc whenever I wanted, and I mixed it up with bombs and traps (both physical and Yrden) often.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'll be grabbing this on Xbox next week as I don't have a (good) gaming PC.

I did buy the first game ($10 on Steam woot) and have played about 2 hours of it (in the first town with the zombie dogs) and it's pretty good so far. Combat was odd, but now that I am used to it it's kind of fun.

I know it's a long game, so doubt I'll finish it by Tuesday but it at least gives me some backstory and input to the first game.

owlbeak

Bought The Witcher 1 in boxed form on day 1, bought Witcher 2 on GOG on release day. Will be buying the 360 version as well. :D Love CD Projekt Red.

One of the things this game handles extremely well is the Quest log. Each active quest has a detailed description, basically the entire sub story (it's all written as if it's being narrated by Dandelion) and it grows as you advance through the quest. It doesn't just break down to "Go here" "Talk to so and so" "Kill this guy".

It's really great for quests that may have a long breaks because it provides better context when you want to recall what was happening.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
One of the things this game handles extremely well is the Quest log. Each active quest has a detailed description, basically the entire sub story (it's all written as if it's being narrated by Dandelion) and it grows as you advance through quest. It doesn't just break done to "Go hear" "Talk to so and so" "Kill this guy".

It's really great for quests that may have a long breaks because it provides better context when you want to recall what was happening.

and it's wonderful.

Zeliard

Both Witcher games have pretty great journals in general, though aesthetically I much preferred the journal in Witcher 1. That thing was a beaut.

owlbeak

One of the things this game handles extremely well is the Quest log. Each active quest has a detailed description, basically the entire sub story (it's all written as if it's being narrated by Dandelion) and it grows as you advance through quest. It doesn't just break done to "Go here" "Talk to so and so" "Kill this guy".

My favorite part.

EatChildren

Question: Why does the pre-loader say its downloading 23GB instead of 10? Unfortunately I have a [shitty] bandwidth cap and I don't want to get another warning from my ISP again lol.

GlamFM

Banned
Played through the tutorial.

First impression: OMG I will play this game on easy.

Graphics look awesome ( far a 360 game )
Atmosphere is incredible.
I´ve never played a game with such a deep inventory/character/crafting system.

Can´t wait to play more of it tonight.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Does that preloader download a patch or the whole game?

Cos I don't have Witcher 2 installed atm.

And it's too big for a patch.

subversus

don't do this. Enemies can't block on easy, you'll miss a huge chuck of combat.

but well, if you enjoy it on easy then it's better to stay on easy. but you will miss a lot.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
I managed to grab a copy from my local Tesco on my way home.
G6S1pl.jpg

GlamFM

Banned
don't do this. Enemies can't block on easy, you'll miss a huge chuck of combat.

but well, if you enjoy it on easy then it's better to stay on easy. but you will miss a lot.

OK, I´ll decide later. Maybe if I can change the difficulty on the fly I will start on normal.

Thanks for the heads up.

Graphics look awesome ( far a 360 game )
Atmosphere is incredible.
I´ve never played a game with such a deep inventory/character/crafting system.

Can´t wait to play more of it tonight.

I remember when I played through the tutorial, it suggested I play on easy. I played on normal and had no problems with difficulty. This was after the patch that apparently smoothed out some of the early game difficulty curve that a lot of people had issues with.

The_Monk

So it seems that Normal difficulty is harder than the average "normal" setting?

4 days left for me, I guess I won't get the Dark Edition, my local GAME seems to be lacking a lot of Special Editions, they never got the ME3 CE for 360 only for the PS3 (which was fine since I'm a main PS3 user, but still...)

Zeliard

OK, I´ll decide later. Maybe if I can change the difficulty on the fly I will start on normal.

Thanks for the heads up.

You can change difficulty whenever you want.

Also, alchemy is your friend. Make sure you play around with it a lot, as well as crafting in general.

Salaadin

Does that preloader download a patch or the whole game?

Cos I don't have Witcher 2 installed atm.

And it's too big for a patch.

Just a patch. The preloaded requires the full game be installed so youll have to reinstall it.

Thanks for the heads up.

The game also gets easier later on after you gain some levels and can access the better parts of the skill trees.

Combat in TW2 is like if Demon's Souls fucked Arkham Asylum. It ain't quite like either of them but you'll find plenty of similarities.

I was going to try and explain the combat to him but you did a much better job than me.

Zeliard

what are the arkham asylum similarities? Like how you can deal with groups?

Yep, the fashion with which you can smoothly bounce from enemy to enemy when you have some good spacing. Comes in very handy to link attacks like that, and it looks cool seeing Geralt doing all these spins and flips as he massacres an entire group of enemies.

subversus

yes, you can jump from enemy to enemy to build a combo but it's viable only with certain types of enemies and generally it wasn't as fluid as in AA because you could jump into block or evasion or some shit like that. AA has much more fluid combat.

Salaadin

You can bounce around between enemies pretty easily similar to AA but there its not really as seamless or awesome looking as AA.
You also lack the ability to counter enemies attacking you from behind. If a dude swings his sword at you from behind, roll out of the way or youre going to die.

Top Bottom