• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition |OT| Bow low, you stand before a head crowned.

My only gripe has always been with the way the games handles saves. New auto/quick saves don't overwrite old ones, so the save folder can balloon in size if you don't manage it. Though I'm not expecting them to address it with enhanced edition.

It's true. My save games folder is 1.04GB's with 1055 files. That's two playthroughs of the game.

i-Lo

There was a 360 version of the first one under way by an external studio, but there were creative differences and missed deadlines. It was never officially cancelled so maybe it could get revived as a downloadable if this one is a hit.

Yeah, as much as I'm enjoying seeing people discovering the second game on consoles, they should be careful when wanting to play the first one. It is a very good game, but it was also CDPR first one (I think) and it was severely handicapped by the engine used (Aurora, based on the Neverwinter Nights), and the choice to try to make it more action oriented. So, the combat isn't for everyone. I still like that game very much, but aside from the world and characters, it is very different game.

They tried, by contracting another studio to make it. It didn't really work out... can't really remember how the story ended but there were some accusations between both sides. Probably has a lot to do with the fact, between a third-party engine and a more "traditional" PC interface/mechanics, the port wouldn't be easy thing to do.

In the end, CDPR made the engine they wanted for The Witcher 2, designed a (better IMHO) combat system that could be easily translated to the consoles and the result is the amazing game that more people can enjoy.

EDIT: ops.. beaten.. that will teach me not to go to another window and read something else before pressing "post", hehe.

I see. So there may yet some little flicker of hope for first one. But I can definitely see that the controls were more traditional PC-esque.

Btw, does anyone know what kind of development cost was associated with the first Witcher? And I also heard that the first one was based on Bioware's engine meant for Never Winter Nights (saw that in GT review of the game). Is the second an evolution of that or a product of a completely new engine from the ground up?

Yeah, TW1 affected me much more than TW2 did. The story and pacing was better and it had an extremely solid ending. This might sound weird but I also liked all of the grindy monster slaying quests in TW1 on top of it having more monster variety. I would pay a lot of money fora TW1 remake on the RED engine.

I agree with you completely. The first game has had a major impact in my experience and is such an amazing, profound game in the genre. It's loaded with content. The technical stuff alone in 2 though, really brings the world to life. If only the first game could be remade with that engine, it would be a dream come true. I love both games, some of my favorites.

abunai

I see. So there may yet some little flicker of hope for first one. But I can definitely see that the controls were more traditional PC-esque.

Btw, does anyone know what kind of development cost was associated with the first Witcher? And I also heard that the first one was based on Bioware's engine meant for Never Winter Nights (saw that in GT review of the game). Is the second an evolution of that or a product of a completely new engine from the ground up?

The 2nd game runs on RED engine, CDPR's own. They spent $7-8 million on the engine+game I believe. As for the first game, I recall reading a figure of around the same ballpark. Trying to find stuff on google now.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
The 2nd game runs on RED engine, CDPR's own. They spent $7-8 million on the engine+game I believe. As for the first game, I recall reading a figure of around the same ballpark. Trying to find stuff on google now.

the first game cost 4 million $ to develop

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Hmm

Hmmmm

Is there any point in me downloading my regular direct2drive TW2 version when I'll be able to download TW2EE via GoG in a couple of days?

"Any point" in sense of : Will I save potential time/downloading ?

Just rechecking, any point in my starting my download tonight while I sleep or would I still have to redownload EE from GoG anyways?

i-Lo

the first game cost 4 million $ to develop

Thank you so much guys.

We need to kickstart some Polish folk. Got damn we could actually fund something super awesome.

I was thinking the same thing. I have heard that the low development costs are due to wage structure. Still, it's a mark of efficiency. I'll support these guys 100% if they ever think of funding a project through Kickstarter.

Kyaw

Just rechecking, any point in my starting my download tonight while I sleep or would I still have to redownload EE from GoG anyways?

You have to have the base game either way, I think. (With all the patches, hot fixes and what not)

Then you pre-load the EE which took me about 3 hours @ 1Mbps.

Says who? you? Ahuahuahuahuahuahua
-----------

Starting this game as soon as I finish Xenoblade. How long is Witcher 2 doing a fair number of sidequests and stuff?

Says anyone with a modicum of taste; you'll agree with me once you play the Witcher 2 and realize how haplessly inept BioWare is.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Says anyone with a modicum of taste; you'll agree with me once you play the Witcher 2 and realize how haplessly inept BioWare is.

GTFO with that "better than you" shit. I love Mass Effect, so that means I have no taste? Pathetic.

My first play though, in which I did the majority of side quests was 41 hours.

Nice. It seems like the perfect length for an action RPG. Can't wait to try it out.

Juice

Ugh. Anyone else experiencing constant failures / prompts to retry with the pre-downloader? I'm just going to wait until next week if it keeps failing.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
You have to have the base game either way, I think. (With all the patches, hot fixes and what not)

Then you pre-load the EE which took me about 3 hours @ 1Mbps.

ooooh shit !

So I need to have the full game installed before I even think of EE? I was under the impression that my tw2 cd-key would let me download the entire EE game from GoG.

Zeliard

ooooh shit !

So I need to have the full game installed before I even think of EE? I was under the impression that my tw2 cd-key would let me download the entire EE game from GoG.

The full EE is likely to be a different SKU with different cd keys.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Ugh. Anyone else experiencing constant failures / prompts to retry with the pre-downloader? I'm just going to wait until next week if it keeps failing.
I got a few. Note that it downloads the patch in ~250mb chunks. If it fails you still keep the chunks you successfully downloaded, so you can continue the download where you left off.

Elsolar

ooooh shit !

EE is just a patch, and they probably won't have a "full game + EE install" up on the site until several days after release (that's how it was with 2.0, anyway). You definitely save a lot of time downloading the game and pre-loading the patch now, even if you don't plan on playing it until Tuesday.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
"Wait till he drops his fooken guard!"
I love this line, I am now fight club champ!

The game has been awesome so far, it oozes atmosphere.

Exuro

So does the EE patch make the game not ridiculously easy at the end? My only big issue with the game was it getting progressively easier each chapter.
Except for the draug boss, that sucked, especially when the previous save point was a few enemy groups/cutscenes before fighting him.

squidyj

So does the EE patch make the game not ridiculously easy at the end? My only big issue with the game was it getting progressively easier each chapter.
Except for the draug boss, that sucked, especially when the previous save point was a few enemy groups/cutscenes before fighting him.

I'm pretty sure they added save points there a while back.

We really don't know. We have to see how it ends up working out, new content included.

Xater

Finished the game!

So fucking rad! Now I can't understand even more how anyone could give Skyrim GOTY. This is pretty much the perfect western RPG. It looks great, has an interesting story/world, the character development is cool and the combat does not suck! I already know it will make my list this year.

Hawk269

Did all the enhancements make it to the PC version? I know that they had re-worked the control pad controls for the 360 version and since i play the PC version with a 360 pad, I am hoping that whatever ehancements they made to the console version is applied to the PC version (control wise).

ironcreed

Banned
Finished the game!

So fucking rad! Now I can't understand even more how anyone could give Skyrim GOTY. This is pretty much the perfect western RPG. It looks great, has an interesting story/world, the character development is cool and the combat does not suck! I already know it will make my list this year.

What was your play time, if you don't mind my asking?

AHA-Lambda

Really?! Why can't other studios produce AAA games on a budget like this? :(

Top Bottom