• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition |OT| Bow low, you stand before a head crowned.

DaBuddaDa

Because some dude modelling crates in San Francisco needs that sixfigure salary.

Yeah I wonder sometimes why more companies don't get out of the Seattle/San Francisco areas and move to appealing but half as expensive cities like Austin or Minneapolis or Phoenix.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Is that really the only reason though? Is there really a $30 million+ difference just in wages alone?

It's not like this is a particularly capital intensive industry. I'm sure there are efficiencies and processes that could be leveraged-- plus development doesn't seem troubled or slow-- but there are only so many inputs.

Austin does okay for itself. Retro, Bioware, Blizzard have studios and a ton of smaller developers. And a Zynga studio! Retro is the only of those three where Austin is the "flagship" though.

I don't know average salaries differential between Austin vs. West Coast. Google Tells me a guy in Poland will make about 30,000 a year, which seems likely to be considerably less than his American counterpart, but not insanely so.

Development time on the Witcher 2 was also longer, but I think it was a smaller team than AAA U.S. titles, plus they needed to build the engine.

No expertise, but it would be interesting to see a budget breakdown between the Witcher and ME3 and maybe something like Dragon's Dogma to throw a Japanese developer into the mix.

Derrick01

Banned
It's not like this is a particularly capital intensive industry. I'm sure there are efficiencies and processes that could be leveraged-- plus development doesn't seem troubled or slow-- but there are only so many inputs.

I was only wondering because I know many western teams tend to get out of control with the team sizes and they're not very efficient, and they do get paid pretty well over here so maybe it is mostly wages. It just sounds crazy that it could be the only big reason if you don't start breaking it down in your head and it doesn't give much hope for the future unless everyone moves to poland.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I was only wondering because I know many western teams tend to get out of control with the team sizes and they're not very efficient, and they do get paid pretty well over here so maybe it is mostly wages. It just sounds crazy that it could be the only big reason if you don't start breaking it down in your head and it doesn't give much hope for the future unless everyone moves to poland.

The coolest games are from Eastern Europe now anyway. I could live on a steady diet of Witchers and Stalkers.

Digoman

I don't know. I basically played 3 days without much downtime. Should be in the 30-40 hours ballpark.

Sounds about right. I finished the original version with about 35 hours last year (doing most of the sidequests) and they have added some new content.

But if you count the second run you have to do to see everything (completely different middle section of the game) there's actually more content than that.

I did a quick google search but couldn't find the team size of the Witcher 2. I'm curious about this as well, because yes, wages are the bulk of the game budget (without marketing), but it still is incredible that the game was made for that, on a development time of 4 years. Don't know if that number includes the engine though.

Complistic

Damn you guys have me hyped through the roof on this one.

I have a Dark Edition on order from when they popped up on Amazon ever so briefly.

You should be hyped. The only thing I'm worried about is a lot of people won't have a reason to care about the characters that are from TW1 since they never played it.

Minsc

Gold Member
Can't wait to see the extra content. One of the strongest parts about the ending from my first playthrough was the way you really got to customize how everything went down. Even if it all was a bit on the shorter side, I liked all the choices you had in the last few hours.

BROS. How is the combat and animation in this game? Is it deep/satisfying? Is it simply hack-and-slashy, or no? And are there stealth elements, i.e. stealth takedowns and whatnot?

Grazie.

I can't wait to play more Witcher later. Damn life getting in the way!

BROS. How is the combat and animation in this game? Is it deep/satisfying? Is it simply hack-and-slashy, or no? And are there stealth elements, i.e. stealth takedowns and whatnot?

Grazie.

Animation is really great. It's hack and slash but strategic. Blocking is essential as you can easily get overwhelmed. There's "combos" so to speak. It's one of my favorite action RPG combat systems. Just behind the Souls (Demon's/Dark's Souls) series. One major influence on revamping the combat system for the second game was Arkham Asylum.

Truant

Grazie.

It's good, but not top tier. It lacks the super physical 1:1 feel of Dark Souls, and it doesn't have the spectacle of a Devil May Cry, but it's fun and challenging in a good way. Animations are great, but they don't blend that well. Still, the combat is pretty damn good for an RPG.

Grazie.

It is deep and satisfying, IMO. There isn't really stealth but there is a variety of options at any time. You can run in and go hackyslashy, or you can pepper some magic into that, or you can play more methodically and use traps, throwing knives, and bombs.

Even when you are just meleeing, it's not really hacking and slashing, you have to work to dodge attacks and get a hit in at times.

Much thanks. Well, that sounds pretty good. The Arkham Asylum comparison definitely has me interested. Combat and general 'jack of all trades, master of none' syndrome is why I stay away from RPGs. I mean, the combat in Skyrim and whatnot just seems downright awful to both play and look at.

Much thanks. Well, that sounds pretty good. The Arkham Asylum comparison definitely has me interested. Combat and general 'jack of all trades, master of none' syndrome is why I stay away from RPGs. I mean, the combat in Skyrim and whatnot just seems downright awful to both play and look at.

Here, watch this. Shows off the combat fairly well. Although the guy playing isn't the best.

http://gamersyde.com/stream_26666_en.html

RedSwirl

Grazie.

The combat definitely asks more of you compared to most console games these days. Preparation is key. To survive against certain encounters you need to have researched the enemies, crafted appropriate potions, and applied them at the right time.

Chinner

Banned
The combat definitely asks more of you compared to most console games these days. Preparation is key. To survive against certain encounters you need to have researched the enemies, crafted appropriate potions, and applied them at the right time.

also command & conquer (not the game but play style).

I have both the regular edition and the dark edition ordered. Does anyone think the dark edition is worth $40 more? I was thinking about canceling it.

It seems like the only thing that's in the Dark Edition that isn't in the regular is an Artbook and the case.....

Granted, it's a big art book, but...

~Kinggi~

Banned
It seems like the only thing that's in the Dark Edition that isn't in the regular is an Artbook and the case.....

Granted, it's a big art book, but...

You get a bonus making-of disc, this chain thing, the art book, OST cd, Quest handbook, World Map, and case

Edit: yeah your right looks like all that is advertised for the enhanced edition...I dont see the making-of dvd anywhere though or medallian

Really? I have Dark Edition on pre order, but its tempting to just get a regular edition as well and profit from the Dark Edition.

Completely sold out for a while, and it was barely for sale. I assume it is much more limited than the PC Collector's, which is still available new for 50 less than day 1.

Artbook has a new cover, and maybe some new content?
Also the medallion, bonus DVD, and a few stickers.

A bit underwhelming, but it would have been fantastic if they really sold it at 80 like the initial announcement.

You get a bonus making-of disc, this chain thing, the art book, OST cd, Quest handbook, World Map, and case

Edit: yeah your right looks like all that is advertised for the enhanced edition...I dont see the making-of dvd anywhere though or medallian

Medallion is through pre-order from Gamestop. So yeah, a Making-of, Art book, and a different case. Imo totally not worth it, but hey.

Jtrizzy

So is the EE patch 20 gigs? I thought I'd read it was 10. I just started it up and it's 20 for me, that isn't the whole game is it?

I'm using the Steam version of The Witcher 2, but the game hasn't started updating yet or anything. I opened the launcher but there was no option for Enhanced Edition. How do I preload it?

Edit: I'm a derp, there was something in tiny text down the bottom of the launcher I didn't notice.

Edit Edit: What, it just took me to the preorder page for the 360 version?

I'm using the Steam version of The Witcher 2, but the game hasn't started updating yet or anything. I opened the launcher but there was no option for Enhanced Edition. How do I preload it?

Edit: I'm a derp, there was something in tiny text down the bottom of the launcher I didn't notice.

Edit Edit: What, it just took me to the preorder page for the 360 version?

There is no preload for steam, a fact oddly not mentioned on the patch download page unless you read the comments.

Medallion is through pre-order from Gamestop. So yeah, a Making-of, Art book, and a different case. Imo totally not worth it, but hey.

Medallion is all Dark Editions, gamestop exclusive is a medallion shaped key chain. Amazon gets a digital comic. Best Buy gets a shirt I think, but if you ordered the Dark Edition they totally screwed you.

Medallion is all Dark Editions, gamestop exclusive is a medallion shaped key chain. Amazon gets a digital comic. Best Buy gets a shirt I think, but if you ordered the Dark Edition they totally screwed you.

Well not necessarily. I just checked on eBay and people have them listed for around $140 at the cheapest. I'm sure it will get higher. But yeah of you are planning on keeping it then you are probably getting ripped off as cd projekt actually intended for it to be $80 but retailers saw that they could sell for a $100 and people would still buy it.

Top Bottom