• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition |OT| Bow low, you stand before a head crowned.

Kevtones

Interesting game so far. Enjoying it. Production values are bitchin'.

A couple complaints:
- Mapping 'search' to the 'attack' button.
- The density of the inventory system.

- J - D -

Man, this janky-ass game...I can't imagine what it was like before the EE patch in terms of bugs.

I've encountered about five or so bugs/glitches during the first few hours of my play through, but I still love my time with it. Would really appreciate if the screen didn't remain black during some cutscenes though.

Man I was really getting into this game last night. I made a bunch of strong weapons and my first epic armor, upgraded them and made a bunch of sweet potions and oils and then after all that the game freezes.

Damn it that all took a while too. The game plays fantastic with a gamepad but man is the inventory a pain in the neck to use with one. Has the xbox version gotten it any better?

wiggleb0t

Banned
So relieved fixed this problem that's been there for 6 odd months... Disappearing health bars/no lock on indicator.
Solution was to use a different 'predefined profile' as the problem was being caused by crossfire. Tried afr friendly and that fixed the issue but ruined everything else.

Changed it to 'dirt 3' predefined profile and now all is up and running again... Stupid ati drivers :|
So glad I can get back into the journey.

Feeling real mad we won't get the 360 control improvements >_<. Can't figure out why we wouldn't.

Inventory is so clunky. Every time im looking through something and I click it, I was actually highlighting my boots so they upequip.

Alchemy is annoying when switching out ingredients.

The combat/sign wheel is terrible and doesn't work like what you would think.

Lock-on does almost didly squat.

BUT I'm not sure I would want to strafe anyway, I move all over the place in combat.

I'm feeling this way too and it's really making me not want to play it on PC. I don't dig KB/Mouse gaming anymore outside of say BF3/Starcraft and playing this on PC with the 360 controls feels like shit alot of the time

A couple complaints:

Not just search, it's the "use" button. So it's also the open door, climb and talk button too. My biggest frustration is how the cursor feels like you're sloshing through mud to get to everything. I think it's some kind of horrendous mouse smoothing/acceleration type deal.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Not just search, it's the "use" button. So it's also the open door, climb and talk button too. My biggest frustration is how the cursor feels like you're sloshing through mud to get to everything. I think it's some kind of horrendous mouse smoothing/acceleration type deal.

I don't know if you're playing on the 360, but if you're on PC you can turn off mouse smoothing in the config ini.

Solo

Honestly, I was freakin' loving this game up until this (Chapter 1 boss)
Kayran
fight. The amount of damage you take is pretty ridiculous, especially being so early on and it's leaving a pretty sour taste in my mouth right now. I did finally beat it, but I had to turn the difficulty down and try numerous times. See, I wasn't having issues with anything else up until this point, and if the rest of the bosses are going to be this frustrating then I may have to rethink my stance on this game :(

You are already dead (at the hands of the Act 1 boss).

So far the game froze on me three times in Flotsam on the 360. Definitely a great game and one of the best medieval RPG's I have played in a very long time, but you can also clearly see that the developers are relatively new on the market. The inventory system is quite cumbersome and after 5 hours I still can not get used to it because of the amount of stuff that holds no meaning but is not regarded as junk.

I can see myself replaying this in the near future because I have already encountered a few scenarios that can be drastically changed by choosing another option. I like that in RPG's, especially when said choices are not just Good and Bad but are mostly based on player choices. They did this better then Bioware did with Mass Effect.

AHA-Lambda

I got my copy from lovefilm yesterday and have played up to just receiving the
kill the kayran
quest. I've been enjoying it but - now please don't lynch me - I'm just not seeing what all the fuss is about :(

It seems like a good enough game but i've not seen much yet about this game that has really wowed me or left me feeling that this game truly is something special as everyone says. The voice acting is damn good but that's been the only "special" thing I can give to it so far.

Admittedly I am probably setting myself up for this but I am playing on easy, I just couldn't get myself into the combat on normal difficulty. My ass was handed to me in the first fight!
Nevertheless I fought to myself, is this a game I would put up with my favs of the genre like skyrim, deus ex or fallout? and the answer was no :(

I got my copy from lovefilm yesterday and have played up to just receiving the
kill the kayran
quest. I've been enjoying it but - now please don't lynch me - I'm just not seeing what all the fuss is about :(

It seems like a good enough game but i've not seen much yet about this game that has really wowed me or left me feeling that this game truly is something special as everyone says. The voice acting is damn good but that's been the only "special" thing I can give to it so far.

Admittedly I am probably setting myself up for this but I am playing on easy, I just couldn't get myself into the combat on normal difficulty. My ass was handed to me in the first fight!
Nevertheless I fought to myself, is this a game I would put up with my favs of the genre like skyrim, deus ex or fallout? and the answer was no :(

It is the impact of your choices made in the entire game right up to the final act that puts it in the list of Skyrim, Deus Ex and Fallout. Your choices made in Act 1 can completely change Act 2. I am not exaggerating here.

I also believe that a lot of people underestimate the power of the signs. The swordmanship tree has some pretty useful talents, especially the one's where the damage taken from enemies while being stabbed in the back is reduced and the distance traveled while dodging, but the Sign tree is the one people should focus on. There are so many life savers in that tree, especially the Quen sign that absorbs every 1st hit.

AHA-Lambda

sorry aha sounds like the game is just not for you. might as well trade it back in.

I got it from lovefilm (UK equivalent to gamefly & netflix) so I've not lost any money at least. Learned a while ago that it was useful for games I wasn't sure about :p

I'm going to play a bit more and see what I think but yeah, disappointing that I seemingly can't get into this :(

ced

So here is my list of WTF things so far on the 360. I can't understand why they would do this.

- No direction indication on the minimap, ie a N indicator.

- Cant customize controls or sensitivity.

- Using the camera to pickup items instead of the character is really weird and frustrating.

Other than those and a few bugs it's been good.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Wish I had known this, which configuration file? Thanks!

My Documents/Witcher 2/Config/User.ini

Check 'Smoothness=1' to 'Smoothness=0' in [MouseInput]. Save the file. You might need to then set the file to read only to prevent the game from re-writing your settings.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Going back to my Yrden comment: If you have any trouble with a boss or encounter, you probably need to Yrden. Act 1 (the
Kayren
), Act 2's bosses (the
Draug
), plus a new quest encounter added to Act 3 all 'need' it. Actually, the Act 3 one can't be done any other way - and there's no one there to shout tips and banter with you.

So there's my newbie tip as I proceed on to my second (
now Iorveth
), playthrough.

I'm going to play a bit more and see what I think but yeah, disappointing that I seemingly can't get into this :(
For me, the thing that sets it apart is the way the combat doesn't frustrate me when I die, and the design/execution of the world. It's a fantastic setting, and it's so rich with detail and character that it's easy to get absorbed by it and just spend tons and tons of time wandering around. I probably spent around 60 hours or so on this in my first playthrough, and I would wager a good 20 or so was spent just investigating the locales and wilderness. It's about the journey, not the destination, man!

The combat stuff was one of the first "I see!" moments I had playing this after Witcher 1. Witcher 1 was pretty much rock, paper, scissors with each fight, because you just needed to identify which fighting stance you needed to use (quick, strong, group). This one relies more heavily on giving you plenty of tools and methods of solving each encounter, and it never bothered me to die. I think there was a creature I battled in Act 1 about 12 times or more before killing it, but each time I refined my approach before finally working out what it was that worked best for me. Obviously, not every encounter was like that, but it didn't ever feel like hitting a wall because I knew I had so many other ways of handling the fight that I just must have been flubbing up a crucial part in my strategy.

plus a new quest encounter added to Act 3 all 'need' it. Actually, the Act 3 one can't be done any other way - and there's no one there to shout tips and banter with you.
I'm pretty much 100% certain I know which one you're referring to. It was so satisfying when I finally figured out how to deal with that situation, because I had tried easing up close and using aard/igni to no avail, but I finally noticed how the scenario was playing out. : )
I hadn't used Yrden in quite some time, at that point, and I was all "oh, right! duh!"

Chinner

Banned
okay for people who played witcher 2 before the EE, without detail can you say whether or not the new content added helps act 3 and overall conclusion of the game???

Ciastek3214

okay for people who played witcher 2 before the EE, without detail can you say whether or not the new content added helps act 3 and overall conclusion of the game???

It expands on things that were missed originally, like
on Roche's side you discover how Bussy died, and on Iorweth's path you get some quest with Cynthia, though I don't know what exactly, I haven't got through that yet. Also, after the dragon battle if Radowid ordered to kill all sorceresses, Loc Muinne will be full of piles of dead bodies, hanged mages, and so on. Final boards give you more closure as to effect your choices made, it may make you uncertain if you made good choices, you may not like the outcome, but that's how this game rolls. Also, there is great outro that sets the mood of incoming war with Nilfgaard.

bryanee

I've finally got my copy from Amazon, I wasnt expecting it to be hand signed so thats nice. I'm going to get stuck right in.

Interesting game so far. Enjoying it. Production values are bitchin'.

A couple complaints:
I find the quest log/map system the worst. There are some quests that really give you zero direction of where to go or who to talk to (Troll Trouble comes to mind.) I don't need my hand held but some idea of what I'm supposed to do next would be nice without having to look up a FAQ. Also, frequently the last objective for the quest stays on screen when I've already done it, instead of giving me the next one; I'm not sure if it's a glitch but it's happened so often I think it's just the way it is.

Other than that I am really enjoying the game.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
It expands on things that were missed originally, like
on Roche's side you discover how Bussy died, and on Iorweth's path you get some quest with Cynthia, though I don't know what exactly, I haven't got through that yet. Also, after the dragon battle if Radowid ordered to kill all sorceresses, Loc Muinne will be full of piles of dead bodies, hanged mages, and so on. Final boards give you more closure as to effect your choices made, it may make you uncertain if you made good choices, you may not like the outcome, but that's how this game rolls. Also, there is great outro that sets the mood of incoming war with Nilfgaard.
I was
pretty depressed
after the ending.
I let Henselt live, so Dandellion's narration had the people of Vergen being hung in the steets and raped, gave Anais to Radovid (so Roche was wearing red, which was heartbreaking). Flotsam came out okay but everyone else was fucked by what I chose.

I was
pretty depressed
after the ending.
I let Henselt live, gave Anais to Radovid (so Roche was wearing red, which was heartbreaking). Flotsam came out okay but everyone else was fucked by what I chose.
I felt pretty good about my ending. (Roche path)
I decided to go after Triss, since I figured Roche could handle rescuing Anais on his own, and Triss would be helpful in resolving the matters behind Sile/Lodge. We ended up helping Roche after all, and Triss told him not to worry because the time would come when Anais would reunite the people. I let Henselt live, so he and Radovid divided up Temeria, but yeah, that south uprising was pretty scary at the end. I'm feeling pretty good about Anais going with Roche, since she'll be out of the public eye (and hopefully safe) while the future war goes on.

The one thing I hated was that we got no real sense of what happened to Zoltan at the end. I know his friends from Vergen were being prepared to hang in my ending video, but there was no mention or anything of Zoltan at any point after I ran into him before confronting Henselt.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I decided to go after Triss, since I figured Roche could handle rescuing Anais on his own, and Triss would be helpful in resolving the matters behind Sile/Lodge. We ended up helping Roche after all, and Triss told him not to worry because the time would come when Anais would reunite the people. I let Henselt live, so he and Radovid divided up Temeria, but yeah, that south uprising was pretty scary at the end. I'm feeling pretty good about Anais going with Roche, since she'll be out of the public eye (and hopefully safe) while the future war goes on.

The one thing I hated was that we got no real sense of what happened to Zoltan at the end. I know his friends from Vergen were being prepared to hang in my ending video, but there was no mention or anything of Zoltan at any point after I ran into him before confronting Henselt.
He always finds a way to stick around.

And reading that, I'm really going to try for a 'happy' end for the little people on my next run.

Iorveth:
What happens in the Flotsam ending if you side with him?

My Documents/Witcher 2/Config/User.ini

Check 'Smoothness=1' to 'Smoothness=0' in [MouseInput]. Save the file. You might need to then set the file to read only to prevent the game from re-writing your settings.

thanks for this.

I need some help :(

on to the temple.. where you first encounter the dragon.. and you need to defeat the guards before escaping the fire... how the hell do I do it? Even if I beat them I die of fire

if I run past that... I die from fire..

nvm, it's timed :p

Complistic

thanks for this.

I need some help :(

on to the temple.. where you first encounter the dragon.. and you need to defeat the guards before escaping the fire... how the hell do I do it? Even if I beat them I die of fire

if I run past that... I die from fire..

nvm, it's timed :p

Yup. Running out there as
the dragon's breathing fire
on you probably isn't the best idea :p

gdt

I don't think I'll be running into any more "Essence of Death" in this act. Which would make me fail the Melitile's Heart quest. Any console command or something to put one in my inventory?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I don't think I'll be running into any more "Essence of Death" in this act. Which would make me fail the Melitile's Heart quest. Any console command or something to put one in my inventory?
Cedric sells them.

gdt

I think I'm gonna have to do another replay, going through the Roche path again. Also going more the Signs/Alchemy trees. I've gone mostly Swordsman with a bit of Signs in my two playthroughs.

Ciastek3214

Can you PM me your save?

SmartBase

Going back to my Yrden comment: If you have any trouble with a boss or encounter, you probably need to Yrden. Act 1 (the
Kayren
), Act 2's bosses (the
Draug
), plus a new quest encounter added to Act 3 all 'need' it. Actually, the Act 3 one can't be done any other way - and there's no one there to shout tips and banter with you.

So there's my newbie tip as I proceed on to my second (
now Iorveth
), playthrough.

Strange, the only time I've ever used it was in Chapter 1.

It is the impact of your choices made in the entire game right up to the final act that puts it in the list of Skyrim, Deus Ex and Fallout. Your choices made in Act 1 can completely change Act 2. I am not exaggerating here.

Skyrim has consequences for actions? First I've heard of it.

I really like the extra scenes they added at the end of the game, though I fail to see where the extra 10gb came from.

So apparently there's crafting items in act 1 that I'd need to make the best sword/armour and that I'll never be able to get again? Can anybody fill me in?

Top Bottom