• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition |OT| Bow low, you stand before a head crowned.

Just finished my second run on the ending on Roche's side.

This time I joined Roche instead of rescuing Triss.
Oh man, that was freaking brutal when Roche cut Dethmold's balls off, hahahaha. Guy had it coming, but still!

I convinced Roche to give Anais to Natalis, since I don't really trust Radovid for bringing the Order of the Flaming Rose along. We never saw eye-to-eye in W1, so yeah. Screw them.

One major difference is how much sense the Sile/Dragon thing made in the Triss path. Since Triss is there to explain it all, it makes more sense when the poo hits the fan for the Lodge. Otherwise, I would have been pretty confused if I went the Roche path the first time.

Hoooly crap, Radovid tore up the mages. Geez! That was freaking horrible seeing them all impaled around Loc Muinne. I wasn't too sad to see the Nilfgaardians dead around the city in the Triss path, but wow. Letho having rescued Triss wasn't nearly as satisfying as Triss and Geralt seeing Roche/Anais making a break for it and stepping in to help when they were cornered. However, the ending cinematic showed that Anais was crowned while Natalis was going to be ruling until she was old enough. Having Temeria under a united rule was pretty great, but it just sucks that all mages/witches/witchers are under such attack now. This is how you write an ending where you must choose the lesser evil! So awesome.

I think I'm sticking with my original ending, though, because I loved Triss' whole "Anais can unite the people when she comes of age!" bit over the magical people being persecuted so badly. Sucks for Temeria, but since the south is still going to make its move, it's better we have to mess with resolving the division by Radovid and Henselt later. At least, in my mind.

Also, decided to kill the dragon in this ending, since I saved it last time. I definitely am glad I let it live. I reasoned originally that since it was being controlled, it didn't deserve to die. I hope in W3, there are like a nest of dragons I find in some mountain or something. : D

Can't wait to replay this on the Iorveth path and see just how different it all is.
This game feels significantly shorter than W1, but that might be just because I'm not battling with horrible framerate on a crappy laptop this time.

- J - D -

downloaded al of them and still getting problems!

Still have problems? I guess CDP's manual fix is still ineffectual for some. If you're still getting the corrupt pack0 error and the manual patch fix didn't work, then you can download the full TW2 EE digital copy from GoG.com if you have your TW2 vanilla cd key. That's guaranteed to install correctly. The downside is that you'll be downloading a 15gb file.

Shame that the update process has been such a hassle for some.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
@Typographenia: Yeah, one issue I do kinda have with The Witcher 2's story is that it coherence is lost a little unless you play multiple plot threads. Even though the weight of your decisions changes so dramatically, to really understand everything is going on you need to 'see' it all from the perspective of a gamer, even if Geralt the character wouldn't have been able to.

But I guess that's deliberate. Geralt only experiences what he is exposed to, and his exposure is based on your decisions. Since you, the player, cannot see everything in one playthrough, then neither can Geralt.

Yeah, but it does leave a few bits here and there where you'd be wondering just what the heck was going on.
I suppose, at the very least, all it takes is a google search, but the way this game branches it might be just as easy to pass over the answers after a second or third playthrough unless you were really looking for them.

I feel so stupid because in Act III
I didn't even know that Phillipa's house was RIGHT THERE in the square until after I was about to go meet Triss in the ampitheater. I was on my there, saw that door, and thought, "did I ever go in there?" Walked inside and I was blown away. I hope I didn't miss any story stuff or reasons with why the dragon was there... DANG IT AWUAHOAHGA

@Typographenia: Yeah, one issue I do kinda have with The Witcher 2's story is that it coherence is lost a little unless you play multiple plot threads. Even though the weight of your decisions changes so dramatically, to really understand everything is going on you need to 'see' it all from the perspective of a gamer, even if Geralt the character wouldn't have been able to.

But I guess that's deliberate. Geralt only experiences what he is exposed to, and his exposure is based on your decisions. Since you, the player, cannot see everything in one playthrough, then neither can Geralt.

I'm with you. I'm curious what the canon outcomes of the second game will be when the next one comes. If I'm reading your post right, I am slightly concerned that the events of the game, and each path, are relative. I suppose it makes sense when looked at in context to the game itself, but moving forward, I wonder how they will address things of the past. I definitely appreciate all the different outcomes and events, so I'm at an impasse with it really.

I'm with you. I'm curious what the canon outcomes of the second game will be when the next one comes. If I'm reading your post right, I am slightly concerned that the events of the game, and each path, are relative. I suppose it makes sense when looked at in context to the game itself, but moving forward, I wonder how they will address things of the past. I definitely appreciate all the different outcomes and events, so I'm at an impasse with it really.
Well, if they handle it well enough like they did W1 -> W2, it shouldn't be terribly hard.
Not to mention that, it really looks like the next game will be
taking place in the south. That leads me to believe that the majority of what the player will experience in what carries over will boil down more to political situations, the boundaries of powers, who is still alive, and how factions will respond to you. Essentially, it will be very similar to W1 -> W2. Assuming it's in the south. : P

I doubt they'll be having to juggle too many differences that will be a huge part of the third game. It'll likely be more background info and such than taking place in Temeria where everything is wildly different for everyone.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Well, if they handle it well enough like they did W1 -> W2, it shouldn't be terribly hard.
taking place in the south. That leads me to believe that the majority of what the player will experience in what carries over will boil down more to political situations, the boundaries of powers, who is still alive, and how factions will respond to you. Essentially, it will be very similar to W1 -> W2. Assuming it's in the south. : P

I doubt they'll be having to juggle too many differences that will be a huge part of the third game. It'll likely be more background info and such than taking place in Temeria where everything is wildly different for everyone.

I'm a bit concerned with how they'll handle TW3's continuity. TW2 worked well enough thanks to much of TW's plot threads wrapping up once the credits had rolled. Lots of major decisions, but nothing too far reaching. And, to be honest, the most perminent ones were handled pretty poorly. The Triss/Shani choice was ignored entirely in favour of Triss. If it were BioWare doing something like that they'd cop a lot of shit, whereas CDP got a free pass (though to be fair, save file importing wasn't at the forefront of design and marketing).

Typographenia's assessment for TW3 would probably work best. A plot that doesn't have to rely too heavily on what happened in the past games prevents continuity clashes.

Makes sense, and overall I think they will handle it well.
Do you remember the outro cut-scene? In it, there is a land that avoids being consumed by the flood of Nilfgaard army, do you happen to know the name of that land? I can't seem to get a good view of it on any of the maps. I wonder if that part has any significance. Going south really sounds exciting, I can't imagine some of the cities there. Just thinking about it is getting me excited!

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'm a bit concerned with how they'll handle TW3's continuity. TW2 worked well enough thanks to much of TW's plot threads wrapping up once the credits had rolled. Lots of major decisions, but nothing too far reaching. And, to be honest, the most perminent ones were handled pretty poorly. The Triss/Shani choice was ignored entirely in favour of Triss. If it were BioWare doing something like that they'd cop a lot of shit, whereas CDP got a free pass (though to be fair, save file importing wasn't at the forefront of design and marketing).

Typographenia's assessment for TW3 would probably work best. A plot that doesn't have to rely too heavily on what happened in the past games prevents continuity clashes.
Shani's thing is fixed in EE, she gets her own journal entry explaining their falling out.

EatChildren

Shani's thing is fixed in EE, she gets her own journal entry explaining their falling out.

I don't know if I'd call that fixed. Fixed continuity, sure, but again if this were BioWare handling their relationships in the same way they'd be strung up and stoned by the gaming community.

It's a simple continuity workaround for what CDP really wanted: Shani out of the picture, Triss the locked canon romance.

Can you send me your save? The one after you choose to go
save Triss
would be perfect.
Check your inbox.

I don't think we'll have another Triss/Shani moment, but who knows? I think they've set themselves up well enough now that they're more prepared for a W3. Like you said, the continuity stuff likely wasn't a key part of what they were thinking about during W1.

That did remind me, though (for some reason), what ever happened with the
Ves stuff? I know Geralt said he didn't trust her when they found her in the Kaedwani camp, but that was the end of it. I was really hoping she'd show up some time in Act 3 as a traitor or to clear her name from suspicion. I figured Geralt was right, because I wondered how she managed to be spared out of all of Roche's men. I hope we find out at some point...
Do you remember the outro cut-scene? In it, there is a land that avoids being consumed by the flood of Nilfgaard army, do you happen to know the name of that land? I can't seem to get a good view of it on any of the maps. I wonder if that part has any significance. Going south really sounds exciting, I can't imagine some of the cities there. Just thinking about it is getting me excited!
No idea, I just assumed it was
the very southern part of the Temerian kingdom because of the water. No clue on specifics, though.
I'm really looking forward to it too. : D
Yeah, I pussied out too. I suck at videogames.
Just enjoy the game!

edit:
It's a simple continuity workaround for what CDP really wanted: Shani out of the picture, Triss the locked canon romance.
They just knew who was the real better choice.
Come at me, Shani fans!
But not really, I'm only kidding.

Salaadin

Regarding The Witcher 1,
other than Triss/Shani, what else could they carry over? I might just be drawing a blank but thats the only major thing I can think of.

Regarding The Witcher 1,
other than Triss/Shani, what else could they carry over? I might just be drawing a blank but thats the only major thing I can think of.
I think it would be more in regards to how you sided with the Squirrels or Order during the game and how the factions of Temeria responded to you. Also, don't you play a part in deciding if Triss is appointed to be Foltest's aid, or am I remembering wrong?
There's not a ton that could have carried over, but yeah.

Ciastek3214

Spoilers about the last book
If I recall correctly from the books, it's Beauclair, and it's not attacked because of two reasons1. It's neutral 2. Princess Anna Henrietta is a cousin of Emhyr var Emreis.

Ves stuff? I know Geralt said he didn't trust her when they found her in the Kaedwani camp, but that was the end of it. I was really hoping she'd show up some time in Act 3 as a traitor or to clear her name from suspicion. I figured Geralt was right, because I wondered how she managed to be spared out of all of Roche's men. I hope we find out at some point...

I never realized that...Or rather, the thought never crossed my mind.
I'm wondering as well what happened with her.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
She pleads for the men's lives, and gets raped by Henselt, you can confront him about it with Roche at the end of Act 2.

Salaadin

I think it would be more in regards to how you sided with the Squirrels or Order during the game and how the factions of Temeria responded to you. Also, don't you play a part in deciding if Triss is appointed to be Foltest's aid, or am I remembering wrong?
There's not a ton that could have carried over, but yeah.

Thats true. They could have done something with the Order/Squirrels stuff.

I think Triss becomes Foltests aid no matter what. At least she did in both my Witcher play throughs.

They definitely have more threads to work with whenever the third game comes out. Itll be interesting to see if they pull it off.
Bioware gets shit on a lot these days but I thought they did a good job with ME and spreading out the characters across 3 games. When you think about it, that was a pretty big undertaking. I know there were issues and glitches with it but I actually never ran into that stuff (that I noticed, anyways).

Hoping CDPR can pull off something similar

She pleads for the men's lives, and gets raped by Henselt, you can confront him about it with Roche at the end of Act 2.
No, I mean after that.
It's after that conversation that Geralt expresses he has doubts about the story, and she just leaves. I don't doubt that she wasn't raped by Henselt, but the whole "dethmold let me live, and he killed everyone else!" thing wasn't ever resolved. Ves just leaves and we never hear anything on it again. : (

Spoilers about the last book
If I recall correctly from the books, it's Beauclair, and it's not attacked because of two reasons1. It's neutral 2. Princess Anna Henrietta is a cousin of Emhyr var Emreis.

Thank you, that makes sense. Gotta get going on the books to hold me over until the next game.

I know this, however, I was commenting on his speculation.

Bioware gets shit on a lot these days but I thought they did a good job with ME and spreading out the characters across 3 games. When you think about it, that was a pretty big undertaking. I know there were issues and glitches with it but I actually never ran into that stuff (that I noticed, anyways).
I think they deserve a lot of that criticism, though, since they paraded that ME was going to be a trilogy from the very beginning. They obviously wrote ME1 to be self-contained in the event it didn't take off, but if they really did have plans for it to be a trilogy, they dropped the ball in many ways I wouldn't have expected if it honestly were a trilogy.

Witcher 2 had to make a lot of concessions, but I don't know that they started with the intent of it turning into a trilogy. Was the
ending cinematic where Geralt defeats the assassin
in the original game before the enhanced edition?

I hope they pull it off as well, though. Witcher definitely deserves a fantastic third title, and I think CDPR could do it.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
No, I mean after that.
It's after that conversation that Geralt expresses he has doubts about the story, and she just leaves. I don't doubt that she wasn't raped by Henselt, but the whole "dethmold let me live, and he killed everyone else!" thing wasn't ever resolved. Ves just leaves and we never hear anything on it again. : (
I think you'll need to play that sequence again. When she's lying on the ground, she tells Geralt and Roche that she survived by begging for her life, and that they then laughed at her and let her go. Geralt can then accuse her of lying. Using Axii or whatever, he finds out she survived by being raped while the men were hung.

The fact that I need to meditate for drinking potions is killing me.

Is there a mod to work around that?

Check The Witcher Nexus, but I can't think of one. I can see your frustration with it, but I think it's a great part of the lore and makes sense. The enemies are such that you can expect when to run into them, so work around that?

So I have a slot in a pair of gauntlets, but can't add an enhancement. Bug? Or is there a special type of enhancement for gauntlets?

No enhancements for gauntlets, only swords and armor.

EDIT: Beaten like an old rug outdoors

Ciastek3214

Thank you, that makes sense. Gotta get going on the books to hold me over until the next game.

There is also one little secret between Emhyr and Geralt, that makes me super excited thinking about Witcher 3 taking place in Nilfgaard, you will know when you finish last book. Be advised, the twist is awesome.

Playing on the Xbox 360 and absolutely blown away by this game. The sophisticated storytelling, the deep combat, the beautiful world.

Why the hell didn't this beat Skyrim for RPG of the year last year?

I think you'll need to play that sequence again. When she's lying on the ground, she tells Geralt and Roche that she survived by begging for her life, and that they then laughed at her and let her go. Geralt can then accuse her of lying. Using Axii or whatever, he finds out she survived by being raped while the men were hung.
Maybe I misremembered it, but I could have sworn that she explained that and all. However, after we talk to her in the canteen, Roche tells her to leave, and that's when Geralt told Roche he didn't trust her. It wasn't while they were talking to her but after she was told to return to Roche's boat.

The fact that I need to meditate for drinking potions is killing me.

Is there a mod to work around that?
What exactly is the problem? Is it the whole "I have to go into this animation to do this task" thing or is it that you aren't able to enter into meditation because of circumstances saying you can't do the task at that time?

What exactly is the problem? Is it the whole "I have to go into this animation to do this task" thing or is it that you aren't able to enter into meditation because of circumstances saying you can't do the task at that time?

I think his problem lies with the fact that you can not drink potions while in combat which I find a good thing. Correct me if I am wrong though.

Varna

This was a really poor decision that's handled really badly. If they really wanted her as a the cannon romance why do keep giving you options to show otherwise? You can essentially
leave her for dead at the end too
. It's not a big deal in the end. I picked Shani in the original too and I'm completely fine with a simple journal entry explaining that it didn't work out. What irks me is that scene at the very beginning. A simple change to that could have made all the difference.

Relax.MX

Playing on the Xbox 360 and absolutely blown away by this game. The sophisticated storytelling, the deep combat, the beautiful world.

Because console players don't understand the greatness of PC master race

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Maybe I misremembered it, but I could have sworn that she explained that and all. However, after we talk to her in the canteen, Roche tells her to leave, and that's when Geralt told Roche he didn't trust her. It wasn't while they were talking to her but after she was told to return to Roche's boat.
I think you have the order right.
Geralt accuses her of lying after the conversation is over to Roche, alone. I think I'm confused as to what the flashback was, but it's likely Geralt is accusing her of lying about her scenario (Geralt asks what they did to her): being invited to the royal tent see Roche decorated by the King and laughed out after she begged for her life. She was taken there for the rape. Roche, at this time, doesn't outright know what happened. She only says one quick thing about it - she can still smell the swine on him. Maybe the flashback is a separate entity, and both Geralt and Roche had their accurate suspicions of how she survived, which explains how they confront Henselt about it.

trw

Because it isn't from a developer that has a big marketing budget behind them. Also the difficulty curve was a bit strange before patch 2.0 and many 'gaming journalists' just played 30 minutes and complained about the lack of handholding and the difficulty.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Just out of curiosity.

Is easy while ignoring consumables about the same difficulty as normal with oils/potions/crafting?

Tried to play the first game, interesting world but absolutely hated the inventory/crafting/consumables systems. It's why after about 12 hours on PC I just bailed on it and never bothered to go back despite the fact I usually play a games 1-2 hours or I play all of it.

Finally beat Chapter 3 sidequest
The Operator. Pretty difficult even on normal, mostly due to backstabbing gargoyles. I finally landed on keeping my steel sword out, and using aard to get stuns and one hit the gargoyles. Ended up being pretty easy with that strategy.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Just out of curiosity.

Is easy while ignoring consumables about the same difficulty as normal with oils/potions/crafting?

Tried to play the first game, interesting world but absolutely hate the inventory/crafting/consumables systems.
Crafting in the first and second aren't the same. You essentially just buy diagrams and click 'craft', there's an abundance of replenishing resources and little management.

Just got to Flotsam. What do I do with all my items. Game is telling my Im carrrying too much weight. Is there an item box anywhere?
Inkeeper takes care of the storage.

Top Bottom