• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition |OT| Bow low, you stand before a head crowned.

Complistic

Because it isn't from a developer that has a big marketing budget behind them. Also the difficulty curve was a bit strange before patch 2.0 and many 'gaming journalists' just played 30 minutes and complained about the lack of handholding and the difficulty.

lol this is pretty much how it went down.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Crafting in the first and second aren't the same. You essentially just buy diagrams and click 'craft', there's an abundance of replenishing resources and little management.

Still potion/oils/alchemy management is my least favorite part of any rpg I've ever played. If Easy without those buffs is roughly equivalent to normal with them I would rather just play on easy and act as if they don't exist.

Elder Scrolls/Witcher 1/Fable series/Risen/Gothic/Dragon Age/NWN/WOW etc, always have hated that part of rpgs.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Finally beat Chapter 3 sidequest
The Operator. Pretty difficult even on normal, mostly due to backstabbing gargoyles. I finally landed on keeping my steel sword out, and using aard to get stuns and one hit the gargoyles. Ended up being pretty easy with that strategy.
I know an easier strategy..

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Chapter 3 Main Quest
Is there any consequence to going after Triss first, rather than Anais? No spoilers necessary in the answer, if it is a yes I'll just think about the order I want to do them in.
Yes. Quest should state one or the other.

DTKT

What exactly is the problem? Is it the whole "I have to go into this animation to do this task" thing or is it that you aren't able to enter into meditation because of circumstances saying you can't do the task at that time?

Yeah, it's mostly the animations. I mean, it's really minor but I just wish they streamlined that a bit.

It just seems like an arbitrary decision. Why do they let you apply oils in the inventory and not drink potions?!

Nothing game breaking, just annoying.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Hiding behind columns strategy?
No, my post from the previous page, the likely intended way of doing the fight:
I'm assuming you guys are talking about act 3
The Operator
?

Dead simple fight once you figure it out. Just
extinguish the four braziers on the pillars that he uses to summon the gargoyles from. No more gargoyles. After that it's just dodging his fireballs and waiting for his shield to expire. The end.
:)

:p

No, my post from the previous page, the likely intended way of doing the fight:

:p

I couldn't do that.
Chapter 3

The torches on the columns wouldn't extinguish. A trigger never showed up, and aard didn't work. My game bugged, or was I not getting the right angle on them?

So does the game tell me when a chapter ends? Like, I'll have time to finish up side quests and such?

Not sure exactly what you mean. But the game told me I failed one quest in Chapter 2 as soon as I started to do a main quest, so I reloaded and completed the sidequest. Don't see why the same wouldn't happen in the other chapters. Nice of them to warn you you are about to mess up.

trw

Yeah, it's mostly the animations. I mean, it's really minor but I just wish they streamlined that a bit.

It just seems like an arbitrary decision. Why do they let you apply oils in the inventory and not drink potions?!

Nothing game breaking, just annoying.

I think it's kind of nice. Potions have more general bonuses while oils are for specific enemy types. So oils can be used reactionary due to what kind of enemy you meet while potions lay the groundwork depending on in how dangerous territory you are. Animations are way too long though.

iavi

Quest tracking in act 2 - Iorveth is so broken. I'm trying to
save Saskia's life and the game doesn't want to
let me do it.

Grisby

Not sure exactly what you mean. But the game told me I failed one quest in Chapter 2 as soon as I started to do a main quest, so I reloaded and completed the sidequest. Don't see why the same wouldn't happen in the other chapters. Nice of them to warn you you are about to mess up.
I'd like to finish all the side quests I can before moving to ch2. I didn't know if the game would tell you, "Hey your moving to a major new area and not coming back."

Ciastek3214

I figured how 16 different states of the world work now. It's one major decision from each act counting Prologue. In Prologue you can
kill Aryan or not
. In Act I you can
side with Roche or Iorweth
, In Act 2
Roche's side you can kill Henselt or not, Iorweth side, let peasants kill Stennis or not.
, Act III you can
Roche's side save Anais or Triss, Iorweth's side you can save Saskia or Triss.
This leaves us 16 possibilities.
1.Aryan killed, choose Roche, let Roche kill Henselt, save Anais
2.Aryan killed, choose Roche, let Roche kill Henselt, save Triss
3.Aryan killed, choose Roche, don't let Roche kill Henselt, save Anais
4.Aryan killed, choose Roche, don't let Roche kill Henselt, save Triss
5.Aryan killed, choose Iorweth, let peasants kill Stennis, save Saskia
6.Aryan killed, choose Iorweth, let peasants kill Stennis, save Triss
7.Aryan killed, choose Iorweth, don't let peasants kill Stennis, save Saskia
8.Aryan killed, choose Iorweth, don't let peasants kill Stennis, save Triss
9.Aryan lives, choose Roche, let Roche kill Henselt, save Anais
10.Aryan lives, choose Roche, let Roche kill Henselt, save Triss
11.Aryan lives, choose Roche, don't let Roche kill Henselt, save Anais
12.Aryan lives, choose Roche, don't let Roche kill Henselt, save Triss
13.Aryan lives, choose Iorweth, let peasants kill Stennis, save Saskia
14.Aryan lives, choose Iorweth, let peasants kill Stennis, save Triss
15.Aryan lives, choose Iorweth, don't let peasants kill Stennis, save Saskia
16.Aryan lives, choose Iorweth, don't let peasants kill Stennis, save Triss

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I couldn't do that.
Chapter 3

The torches on the columns wouldn't extinguish. A trigger never showed up, and aard didn't work. My game bugged, or was I not getting the right angle on them?

Maybe it's something they added for the EE cause that sure as hell doesn't work in the base game.

krishian

So, I'm playing on Dark for the first time and I just came to the blacksmith in Flotsam to buy the diagrams for the Dark set, but he doesn't have anything like that...Am I supposed to do anything in particular before he can sell them to me, or is the game bugging out on me?

My TRU copy of The Witcher 2 came in the mail yesterday for the 360. I don't even think I'll open it as I have the PC version running at 60 FPS on Ultra already. I bought it just to support the devs. The packaging looks really impressive though, like surprisingly impressive. Hope to see more from CDPR in the future across multiple platforms.

meppi

Man, I ordered the game for 360 this past week due to this thread, not knowing if I'd even like it or not.

Never played a PC RPG and never really had any interest in the before either. But somehow this game really intrigued me.

Started out not knowing if this would be up my alley as my first battle training ended a bit clumsily with the game recommending I play on easy. lol
Chose normal instead and proceeded. Was a bit intimidated at first with all the options that were opening up, but decided to push through and before I knew it, the story drew me in like a good book or film usually does.

Just finished a 4 hour play session (more or less) and just finished the prologue.
Gonna start chapter one another time as I really want to cherish this game. :)
Have to say that it looks stunning in places as well.
So glad I gave this a chance!

So it seems like Dancer is a new steel sword to the game? Picked it up on an added side quest in Chapter 3, and it is not listed on the wiki yet. Damage stats are better than Caerme, and it has bleeding and adrenaline, while Caerme has instant kill 4% and extended length blade oils.

Will probably stick with Dancer as the 4% seems too low to make up for the damage.

edit: I guess Vran sword has three slots? That is probably best when enhanced. Hmm.

So it seems like Dancer is a new steel sword to the game? Picked it up on an added side quest in Chapter 3, and it is not listed on the wiki yet. Damage stats are better than Caerme, and it has bleeding and adrenaline, while Caerme has instant kill 4% and extended length blade oils.

Will probably stick with Dancer as the 4% seems too low to make up for the damage.

edit: I guess Vran sword has three slots? That is probably best when enhanced. Hmm.

Definitely new
there's actually two new swords down there

Yeah, I got a silver sword as well, but I've replaced it already as it wasn't nearly as good.

Should I spoiler that, you think? I though it would be okay as I didn't mention any specifics.

2AdEPT

I know it's hard but you shouldn't research the consequences of your decisions beforehand. At least not on your first play through. Do whatever you want and find out for yourself what happens. Then when you play it again you can do all the research you want and tailor your play through to happen the exact way you want it to happen.
Agreed.....there's only one virgin run. Sometimes there are frustrations and ridiculousness that is best avoided, but the quality level of the game I judge based on how well a virgin run can be whole; and whether or not I had all the tools available to make it a good experience without the help.

So, I'm playing on Dark for the first time and I just came to the blacksmith in Flotsam to buy the diagrams for the Dark set, but he doesn't have anything like that...Am I supposed to do anything in particular before he can sell them to me, or is the game bugging out on me?

did you go to the right blacksmith? There are a couple, if not 3 iirc. sounds like you went to the only one IN flotsam so ensure you are looking for the blasphemer set in the' diagram's inventory slot.

RedSwirl

I figured how 16 different states of the world work now. It's one major decision from each act counting Prologue. In Prologue you can
kill Aryan or not
. In Act I you can
side with Roche or Iorweth
, In Act 2
Roche's side you can kill Henselt or not, Iorweth side, let peasants kill Stennis or not.
, Act III you can
Roche's side save Anais or Triss, Iorweth's side you can save Saskia or Triss.
This leaves us 16 possibilities.
1.Aryan killed, choose Roche, let Roche kill Henselt, save Anais
2.Aryan killed, choose Roche, let Roche kill Henselt, save Triss
3.Aryan killed, choose Roche, don't let Roche kill Henselt, save Anais
4.Aryan killed, choose Roche, don't let Roche kill Henselt, save Triss
5.Aryan killed, choose Iorweth, let peasants kill Stennis, save Saskia
6.Aryan killed, choose Iorweth, let peasants kill Stennis, save Triss
7.Aryan killed, choose Iorweth, don't let peasants kill Stennis, save Saskia
8.Aryan killed, choose Iorweth, don't let peasants kill Stennis, save Triss
9.Aryan lives, choose Roche, let Roche kill Henselt, save Anais
10.Aryan lives, choose Roche, let Roche kill Henselt, save Triss
11.Aryan lives, choose Roche, don't let Roche kill Henselt, save Anais
12.Aryan lives, choose Roche, don't let Roche kill Henselt, save Triss
13.Aryan lives, choose Iorweth, let peasants kill Stennis, save Saskia
14.Aryan lives, choose Iorweth, let peasants kill Stennis, save Triss
15.Aryan lives, choose Iorweth, don't let peasants kill Stennis, save Saskia
16.Aryan lives, choose Iorweth, don't let peasants kill Stennis, save Triss

Back during development when CDProjekt laid out the storyline flowchart they said there would be 16 endings.

Anyway, in chapter 3 it sucks that you don't
see Siegfried unless you went Order path in TW1. Is he even in the Xbox version? I went neutral path in TW1 but Siegfried was still my homedog

gdt

Heh, I picked this sword up in CHAPTER 1. Out of a random chest. My jaw dropped.

It's helping tremendously in Dark Mode.

I watched the GameTrailers review for the Xbox360 version. The reviewer said the xbox360 controls were mapped in a different, but better way. If I recall correctly, I think he said the buttons were more responsive too. Any news we might be getting an update on PC to make the controls more responsive? They're somewhat laggy going into menus and putting away/taking out my swords. Could just be how the game is, though. Also, can anyone tell me the control scheme for the Xbox360 version? I'd like to mimic it. Thanks.

Complistic

I watched the GameTrailers review for the Xbox360 version. The reviewer said the xbox360 controls were mapped in a different, but better way. If I recall correctly, I think he said the buttons were more responsive too. Any news we might be getting an update on PC to make the controls more responsive? They're somewhat laggy going into menus and putting away/taking out my swords. Could just be how the game is, though. Also, can anyone tell me the control scheme for the Xbox360 version? I'd like to mimic it. Thanks.

The combat doesn't have any responsiveness issues now. It's been fixed in the last few patches. You can get rid of that annoying mouse lag by turning off the smoothness in the user.ini.

trw

Is there anyone that likes mouse smoothness/acceleration? It's in every pc game nowadays and that's always the first thing pc gamers bitch about. Why is every company so out of touch that they have it on as default?

MattDoza

Man, I ordered the game for 360 this past week due to this thread, not knowing if I'd even like it or not.

Never played a PC RPG and never really had any interest in the before either. But somehow this game really intrigued me.

Started out not knowing if this would be up my alley as my first battle training ended a bit clumsily with the game recommending I play on easy. lol
Chose normal instead and proceeded. Was a bit intimidated at first with all the options that were opening up, but decided to push through and before I knew it, the story drew me in like a good book or film usually does.

Just finished a 4 hour play session (more or less) and just finished the prologue.
Gonna start chapter one another time as I really want to cherish this game. :)
Have to say that it looks stunning in places as well.
So glad I gave this a chance!

This has been my experience, almost exactly. Although, I'm still getting through the prologue. And haven't been quite as drawn in, but I don't doubt that I will.

Cheska

Oh God damnit, I had my entire Saturday planned out already and now all those plans are out the window. Finished Chapter 1, and man what a game! Haven't had any more difficulties since that Kayran fight, and the story is so gripping that I find myself dying to find out more. I'm so glad they brought this over to a console I actually own.

Exuro

Oh God damnit, I had my entire Saturday planned out already and now all those plans are out the window. Finished Chapter 1, and man what a game! Haven't had any more difficulties since that Kayran fight, and the story is so gripping that I find myself dying to find out more. I'm so glad they brought this over to a console I actually own.
May I ask who you sided with at the end of the act? Always love hearing who/why they chose to side with.

Cheska

May I ask who you sided with at the end of the act? Always love hearing who/why they chose to side with.

Roche. Only because I sided with him earlier and felt like maybe that was obvious choice to go with the first time
I did save right before so I could replay that section if I wanted to. Is the other route a little more interesting?

meppi

This has been my experience, almost exactly. Although, I'm still getting through the prologue. And haven't been quite as drawn in, but I don't doubt that I will.

Oh I wouldn't be surprised at all.
The end of the prologue and the preview of chapter 1 is what made me realize just how special it was and is going to be. :)
Not too crazy about the whole intro into the game actually and i wouldn't be surprised if it turned people like me away.
But I do hope they stick with it as it sure get so much better as things start to fall into place and the actual story starts to unfold.

What is the point of no return in Chapter 1? What I mean is what quest does the split officially take place and when is the last point I can finish up side quests before I go to Chapter 2?

Couple of hours in. Doing some exploration outside Flotsam. Still don't know if I like the game. It's a looker though, no doubt. Just waiting for the gameplay to hook me.

Okay, I'm stuck..already
I woke up with the hangover and trying to find the Madam, is there a glitch? I cannot find this bitch anywhere where the map is telling me.

I'm going to feel so stupid if it's simple.

What is the point of no return in Chapter 1? What I mean is what quest does the split officially take place and when is the last point I can finish up side quests before I go to Chapter 2?
When you finish the Kayran mission you should start wrapping up all the side quests. You can go further on with the Assassin's of Kings mission before you hit the point of no return, but It might get slightly spoilery to tell you how far you can go with it.

After the elven ruins you unlock a final quest where you have to decide between Iorveth and Roche and each of them give you a different mission that is the last thing you do in chapter 1.

Okay, I'm stuck..already
I woke up with the hangover and trying to find the Madam, is there a glitch? I cannot find this bitch anywhere where the map is telling me.

I'm going to feel so stupid if it's simple.
Basement of the inn, through the door next to the bar, first door on the right across from the 2 prostitutes with the "Witcher and Striga style" conversation. She may be asleep in the bed behind a partition in the room.

When you finish the Kayran mission you should start wrapping up all the side quests. You can go further on with the Assassin's of Kings mission before you hit the point of no return, but It might get slightly spoilery to tell you how far you can go with it.

After the elven ruins you unlock a final quest where you have to decide between Iorveth and Roche and each of them give you a different mission that is the last thing you do in chapter 1.

Thanks, that is essentially where I am and had a feeling I was close to the point of no return.

I just loaded my last finished game save from a few months ago and
it kicked into a cutscene narrated by Dandelion, recapping the state of the world after the end of the game. I don't remember this cutscene. Am I out of my mind or was this added? It was really well done, I can't imagine that I missed it last time.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I just loaded my last finished game save from a few months ago and
it kicked into a cutscene narrated by Dandelion, recapping the state of the world after the end of the game. I don't remember this cutscene. Am I out of my mind or was this added? It was really well done, I can't imagine that I missed it last time.

Yup, new.

I'm stuck on Malena, this fight is ridiculous.

It says in the Quest Handbook that comes with the game that if you meet her
after you help Iorveth at the ruins then the Squirrels won't attack you so you can avoid that fight. I have been waiting to finish that quest until after the ruins for that very reason.

squidyj

It says in the Quest Handbook that comes with the game that if you meet her
after you help Iorveth at the ruins then the Squirrels won't attack you so you can avoid that fight. I have been waiting to finish that quest until after the ruins for that very reason.

You can complete it after that? the whole town goes topsy turvy after that stuff

You can complete it after that? the whole town goes topsy turvy after that stuff

The quest book says
If you helped Iorveth at the ruins in The Assassins of Kings quest then when you meet Malena the Squirrels wont attack. Haven't tried it myself but that is what the quest book says

Top Bottom