• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition |OT| Bow low, you stand before a head crowned.

Shit, I thought people just got different items depending on their decisions in 1- Order, neutral, or squirrels. I lost my save and had to download one of the internet, and in the process lost Raven's armor, Arondight, whatever else I had. All I got is an elven rune sihill, a completely shit steel sword that is obsolete halfway through the prologue.

This guy who made the save missed a ton of stuff in 1.

Oh, well, too late to find a better save now, as I'm already through the prologue on Dark mode. Not worth playing it again, even if I could find a better save.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I was just about to ask how in the world can we just overwrite a save. Really surprised the PC version doesnt have that option.

There should definitely be a cap on the amount of autosaves the game generates; even the original game has a limit of a few.

wiggleb0t

Banned
Over 6 months time out... Wow it was a little hard to get back into the swing of things resuming my Chapter 2 hard save.
I like the challenge, makes combat and chances of dying much more intense & adds to the serious/realistic vibe of the game.

Is it true they toned down the difficulty? It seems a little easier than I remember or maybe I'm just Skilllzzzed! :p

So whats up with this? Is this a quest glitch?

I finished the Conspiracy Theory quest, or rather got up to the point where it said to wait. it also said I failed The Butcher of Cidaris. But it wasn't removed from the game and here I am doing it. Will I still get credit for finishing it?

At the end you get information that will allow you to complete the other quest. There are two quests that allow you to get that info, you obviously did the other one.

The actual content of the quest is completely independent of the end result. The information is a reward. So if I had to guess, you can complete it, get the experience, update the journal, but it will probably still be listed as a failed quest.

No facts in the above post, just speculation, especially since you said you were already doing it.

Cheska

So am I the only one who feels guilty about cheating on Triss? I reloaded my save after the Ave Henselt quest
as I hooked up with Ves in order to get the achievement, but just felt like a dirty prick if I were to proceed with the rest of the game with that decision. Especially considering the fact that I dont know if there will be any consequences for it haha.
Luckily I had saved right before then so all I had to re-do was the dialogue after the fight.

So am I the only one who feels guilty about cheating on Triss? I reloaded my save after the Ave Henselt quest
as I hooked up with Ves in order to get the achievement, but just felt like a dirty prick if I were to proceed with the rest of the game with that decision. Especially considering the fact that I dont know if there will be any consequences for it haha.
Luckily I had saved right before then so all I had to re-do was the dialogue after the fight.

Book Spoilers, I guess???, and possibly a bit of a spoiler for this game because you have no backstory:

Don't feel guilty. Triss is totally taking advantage of your amnesia. I mean, she is cool and all, but she has always been Geralt's number 2. Although she is much more likeable than Yennefer in my opinion.

Cheska

Book Spoilers, I guess???, and possibly a bit of a spoiler for this game because you have no backstory:

Don't feel guilty. Triss is totally taking advantage of your amnesia. I mean, she is cool and all, but she has always been Geralt's number 2. Although she is much more likeable than Yennefer in my opinion.

Yeah, I never played The Witcher so I had no idea about that haha. I am incredibly interested in reading the books though and I hope to get some more backstory in this game as well.

Witcher 1 doesn't inform you about that either, only the books.
If you have played only the games you assume that Triss is your one and only. I don't even know if Yennefer gets a name drop in 1

As for the books, only two translated. The Last Wish which is a bunch of short stories, a lot with fairy tale inspirations with a darker twist, and Blood of Elves, which is the first of I think five. The story ends where Geralt dies 5 years before the Witcher takes place.

There is an inkeeper in Witcher 1 who summarized the story of the Witcher saga books in a semi-accurate way. Spoilered just in case, and stolen shamelessly from the Witcher Wiki.

Innkeeper:
"Ahem... Long ago, in a valley far away, lived a girl. She was a true princess, sorceress and witcheress..."
Geralt: "All three? Isn't that a bit much?"

Innkeeper: "Don't interrupt. You want to hear the story or not?"

Geralt: "I won't interrupt again."

Innkeeper: "A story about destiny might prove useful, witcher.

She was born a princess who wanted for nothing, had loving parents and a grandmother who was a great queen. She lived in palaces guarded by hundreds of knights. Everyone thought she'd become a powerful queen. But fate had other plans. Her parents died. Enemies butchered her grandmother and took the kingdom. Still, the princess survived. Her fate became bound to one particular witcher. She gained a new family at Kaer Morhen, the hold of the witchers. She learned to fight. Yet destiny once again made noise.

The lass had magical talent. She was a source. The witchers afeared the uncontrolled power of a source and needed a sorceress to assist them. She studied arcane magic. The sorceress loved a witcher and the two adopted the girl. She was truly happy and could have become a powerful sorceress...

But war broke out and fate separated the family. Aggrieved, the lass disawoved magic and became a huntress, learning to love killing. Death followed her - everyone she'd loved had died. Only the witcher and the sorceress denied Death's calling. Fate cast her to foreign shores, yet she returned. The worst assassin tailed her, yet she emerged victorious. Agents of all kingdoms pursued her, yet none caught her.

When she killed all her enemies and peace descended upon the world, she rejoined the witcher and sorceress, only to have destiny sneer at her again."

Geralt: "What happened?"

Innkeeper: "A peasant unskilled in arms killed the witcher. The sorceress died trying to revive him. The girl could do nothing for she'd disawoved magic. So the princess who would not rule, the witcheress who fought humans, and the sorceress who cast no spells used her power as a means to leave this world."

Geralt: "I sense you haven't told all."

Innkeeper: "All but one. Her name was Cirilla. What's that matter?"

Girl is Ciri
Sorceress Yennefer
Witcher Geralt

Cheska

^ Whoa, thank you so much for that. Definitely provided some interesting insight into the past. This is one of the few games where I'm finding myself caring about almost every single who actually plays a part in the story. I love it, and it's really making me consider putting some money down to build a decent gaming rig so I can marvel at the beauty of this in maxed out settings.

2AdEPT

Ok, man I am really frustrated with the operator....I even know the spoiler stuff mentioned in this thread about
dousing the flames so the gargoyles don't (re) appear
but I can't even engage! I've tried with sword/without and in 20 minute of death after death I have seen a "use" option all of once...albiet briefly.....WTF is the trick to trying to engage these things???!?!

Teknoman

Well I havent reached that point yet in 2, but i'll say no since in the first game, I felt Shani truly connected Geralt. Triss just seems like she's got something up her sleeve regardless.

Well I havent reached that point yet in 2, but i'll say no since in the first game, I felt Shani truly connected Geralt. Triss just seems like she's got something up her sleeve regardless.

Triss is just trying to have everything she can with Geralt, while at the same time trying to protect him from those who want to use him as a pawn (everyone) and having to deal with all the bullshit the Lodge of Sorceresses and the various political factions throw at her. All she really wants is to be able to leave everything behind and live happily with Geralt. I liked her more than Shani in the first game, and like her even more in The Witcher 2.

newsguy

So early in the first chapter I'm looking for info on the
dead she troll
but the quest map has gone blank. Any ideas on where I should go in town for interviews?

2AdEPT

I'm assuming you guys are talking about act 3
The Operator
?

Dead simple fight once you figure it out. Just
extinguish the two braziers on the walls that he uses to summon the gargoyles from. No more gargoyles. After that it's just dodging his fireballs and waiting for his shield to expire. The end.
:)

tried this a hundred times....can't seem to engage the
braziers
with sword/without kbm vs. pad? What gives?

dead she troll
but the quest map has gone blank. Any ideas on where I should go in town for interviews?

there is a
guy that hired the troll to guard the bridge in the first place
...he lives just outside the city gates in the village section......just speak with him and then you can
hunt down the killers of the trolls wife. Another guy has the trolls head on his wall....he is one ofthe three main blacksmiths...again in the village not the town of flotsam.

Pranay

There is only 1 new release within the Top 40 Entertainment Software Chart this week, but it debuts at No1. Namco Bandai’s PC/360 ‘The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings – Enhanced Edition’ takes the top spot with 98% of sales derived from the 360 version and is a game from Polish developer/publisher CD Project Red. This is a first console outing for the franchise, originally released as ‘The Witcher’ on PC back in October 2007, then as ‘The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings’ original edition back in May 2011, which made No5 on this chart.

Witcher 2 topping Uk chart =)

dead she troll

I think you can start with Sile, and she will put you on your way. Then I think you can talk to Zoltan, who will send you further on your way.

If you just want to skip,
Sendler, the guy you have to play poker with to beat the poker quest. Look on his wall. He is also a crafter, so that should help you find him.

tried this a hundred times....can't seem to engage the
braziers
with sword/without kbm vs. pad? What gives?

Didn't work for me either, or another person who was posting about it previously. On Gamepad. I assume they might have messed up the trick in a patch? I don't think you can "use" in combat mode, and you are always in combat mode during the fight.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Oh come on....I don't think I could live with myself for chickening out on this fight :p Seriously, is it the fact I'm on gamepad ond not keyboard?

as the operator said you will suffer because of your greed!

it's the hardest boss fight in the game, that is why it is optional

subversus

Completely deserved. Though this must mean the PC EE run was extremely limited. It's already out of stock on Amazon UK and never charted in their top 10 while the 360 EE is still available and was always in their top 10.

it would outsell a PC version even if they had released it a year ago. it's UK market we are talking about.

Teknoman

Triss is just trying to have everything she can with Geralt, while at the same time trying to protect him from those who want to use him as a pawn (everyone) and having to deal with all the bullshit the Lodge of Sorceresses and the various political factions throw at her. All she really wants is to be able to leave everything behind and live happily with Geralt. I liked her more than Shani in the first game, and like her even more in The Witcher 2.

Well I will say she seems a lot more likable here than in 1.

subversus

The Roche part was a joke. My point simply was that I won't be surprised if CDPR locks down one of the endings as canon instead of trying to do the Bioware style of choice carry-overs.

I can't agree with this. It would sour my perception of the series. Bioware hasn't promised anything that couldn't be done. TW2 has more content altered because of your decisions than all ME games put together. Bioware could do much less content for branching parts in ME3 than TW2 did and still get away with it but they deliberately chose not to because of time restrictions and their audience. There WAS some altered content in ME3 but comparing to The Witcher 2 it's nothing. Bioware are too expensive these days and they rely on their achievement feedback too much. Oh well, enough about them in this thread.

TWIII can easily do two branching paths again. It would start with your saved game but if you want to experiece the other side you could make the choice at the beginning of a new game in an interactive comic or something like that.

2AdEPT

I think you can start with Sile, and she will put you on your way. Then I think you can talk to Zoltan, who will send you further on your way.

If you just want to skip,
Sendler, the guy you have to play poker with to beat the poker quest. Look on his wall. He is also a crafter, so that should help you find him.

Didn't work for me either, or another person who was posting about it previously. On Gamepad. I assume they might have messed up the trick in a patch? I don't think you can "use" in combat mode, and you are always in combat mode during the fight.

You don't have tobe in combat mode at the start ...I have walked arouond to the pillars and once I even saw the use icon flash up quickly....didn't press x in time but I think it is possible. Also wiki says you can save part way through if you wait behind the pillars long enough...... insinuating again that one could sheath the sword and hit x......I hope I ddin't imagine the x and that guy above isn't laughing his ass off at us :p

it would outsell a PC version even if they had released it a year ago. it's UK market we are talking about.

Yeah, but I was making a comparison between the PC EE and the 360 EE runs (number of units printed). According to that quote, the PC EE accounts for 2% of sales yet it is already out of stock at Amazon, while the 360 EE accounts for 98% of sales and is still available. Seems to me the PC EE had an incredibly low amount of units printed.

Bought it a couple days ago. On one hand, this game can be brutal but it is so refreshing to be presented with a game where bombs, traps, and potions play a huge part in actually surviving. Those mechanics are usually so throw away in other rpgs because the challenge just is not there.

Also, this is probably the best forest level i have seen in a game. It actually feels like one. Uneven and elevated ground, bushes trees and passage ways aplenty instead of a mass grass ground texture, great lighting. Are there any other games that come close to this?

Am I the only one who thinks it's better to
save Triss than to do the other choices
?

I mean,
I feel like if I don't and then she isn't the one to expose Phillipa and Sile, the massacre of the mages and sorceresses that follows means the Emperor's plot worked. He just managed to not only exterminate the majority of magic users in the North and make the survivors not trust the non-mages, and vice-versa

In the meantime,
he has plenty of mages and sorceresses on his side and can even convince the survivors of the North to join him. I think this has a much more profound impact than whether Temeria survives or a new kingdom is formed

This is all prevented by
saving Triss. Besides, I just can't leave her in the hands of the Black Ones thinking they might do to her what was done to Phillipa. I know Letho saves her, but if we are roleplaying as Geralt, there's no way to know that will happen

Bought it a couple days ago. On one hand, this game can be brutal but it is so refreshing to be presented with a game where bombs, traps, and potions play a huge part in actually surviving. Those mechanics are usually so throw away in other rpgs because the challenge just is not there.

Also, this is probably the best forest level i have seen in a game. It actually feels like one. Uneven and elevated ground, bushes trees and passage ways aplenty instead of a mass grass ground texture, great lighting. Are there any other games that come close to this?

I just don't think there's any other game out there that can touch the Witcher 2 graphically, especially on the higest settings. It's a combination of the technical aspects and textures and just the utterly fantastic character and particularly location design. The amount of attention to detail, the way the world feels grimy and lived in and serves the story - it's an incredible achievement.

Have you ever just panned up in Flotsam and looked at the canopy of trees? So beautiful.

Eusis

I ran with it because of... well, the aformentioned. Plus in the Witcher 1 you got cards with the women you slept with, even though the beginning of the game clearly puts you with Triss. May as well just run all the way with this with Geralt, seems in-character enough and he's sterile anyway.

Dark Mode has made me hate rain. In every other playthrough I loved the rain because it looked fantastic and added a bit of atmosphere to battles, but with the Dark Mode armor... the screen may as well be pitch black! It's so goddamn hard to see!! lol The Melitele's Heart quest in the Flotsam forests was torture, because all I could see of the wraiths was their lanterns hovering around the screen.

Chapter 2's mines also proved extremely dark, but I didn't find it as bad as the rain + nighttime combo in Flotsam's forest.

Anyway, I like Dark Mode so far, but I find myself getting pretty frustrated at some game mechanics (some enemies seem to have infinite Vigor as they can block endlessly) and general wonkiness (getting stuck on bs environmental objects while rolling away, causing me to get combo'd to death, etc.). I'm managing just fine but there's no way in hell I'll ever be able to play the game through on Insanity. There are way too many accidental/bullshit deaths waiting to happen.

Hazanko

Banned
Iorveth is awesome. I just completed the game but it's not without faults. The map can be really useless at times and there is loads of missable things that you need to be lucky or know beforehand or you'll miss them. Oh and dice poker sucks balls!

Am I the only one who thinks it's better to
save Triss than to do the other choices
?
I preferred my choice to save Triss over aiding Roche in my playthrough.

Triss' path seemed to do a much better job on explaining who was behind everything, and I would much rather there be continued issues amongst the kings than having every magic user hunted down and murdered because of a few bad apples. Also, even though Anais isn't appointed as the heir for Temeria, she isn't exactly able to do anything in the present time anyways so... She could just as easily reclaim Temeria after we stop Nilfgaard and unite the people under her. So, yeah, I felt the Triss choice was the better one of the two, personally.

mujun

After 5 hours or so of playing this I don't think it deserves the godly status many on the boards lavish it with. I can see how people love it and it certainly stands out as fully mature and very well fleshed out fantasy but it does a lot of things that other games do that seem to garner complaints and I don't think the game is much fun at all. I intend to persevere because the game cost me a bunch of money but I'm still waiting for it to become enjoyable.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I love the game so far, hate the karyan. :( I have a few more side quests to do before I tackle him again though.

Yeah, I can't beat him either. I'm finding it very difficult to cast the third "trap" (whatever it's called). He simply refuses to stun and ultimately kills me.

The Kayran was pretty easy once you get the hang of how you are supposed to kill him.
That's what I've gathered but I just can't seem to get the third stun on him. No matter where I cast the spell it simply doesn't seem to take.

Salaadin

Yeah, I can't beat him either. I'm finding it very difficult to cast the third "trap" (whatever it's called). He simply refuses to stun and ultimately kills me.

That's what I've gathered but I just can't seem to get the third stun on him. No matter where I cast the spell it simply doesn't seem to take.

Which tentacles are you trying to trap? You can only trap the ones with the large, throbbing, bulb like things on them. The 2 middle ones wont get trapped so you have to get the 2 on the right or the 2 on the left.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Which tentacles are you trying to trap? You can only trap the ones with the large, throbbing, bulb like things on them. The 2 middle ones wont get trapped so you have to get the 2 on the right or the 2 on the left.
Ah, I've trapped and killed the two on the left and going for a third.

I'll give the right a shot after those two.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
And there we have it, the only reason why I could ever regret buying the Xbox version over the PC version: Dark Mode armor effect. Horrible. Simply the worst thing in the game.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Ah, I've trapped and killed the two on the left and going for a third.

I'll give the right a shot after those two.

That was as struggle too for me at first but you just have to persist. I almost thought the game was glitching on me.

For some reason, the
haunted house quest, don't know the name
gave me a lot of trouble with those 3
ghosts you fight in that basement
. You really have to use your abilities and potions in this game.

Top Bottom