• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition |OT| Bow low, you stand before a head crowned.

Interesting question, I would also like to know if Axii ever fails, because it's been perfect every time I tried it, I thought there would be a risk reward with trying it.
I'm on my 4th play through I think, and I've only seen the conversation options fail maybe 2 or 3 times total, and all of those were early on before having any successes which essentially levels those abilities up.

2AdEPT

There are 2 sidequests for the kayran. One to make a potion that makes you immune to it's poison. The other for special traps that insta kill it's tentacles.
Whoa guys!!! The kayran trap is a waste of money...way too expensive for what it is worth. DONT BUY IT. Yrden works way better, you are forced to learn to use yrden anyway, and unless you don't have patienceot run around and dodge in between vigor charges the ONE extra shot you get from the trap is not worth it. Get mongoose though, as at least it is not as expensive, despite being questionable as a serious game changer....neither are "win buttons" as one person suggested. I am farily certain Icould get through the kayran my 2nd playthrough without losing much health if I'm careful....your success depends on figuring out the formula....learn the tells ofthe tentacle swipe and step tothe side.

So are there any negative consequences to using intimidate/Axii/convince in conversations? Is intimidate somehow worse than Axii/convince?
these skills increase the more you use them...your choice what you want to improve...see your attributes list in the character menu....there are also lots of spoilery lists in wikis etc that tell you how to improve all your attributes in the game....you won't even scrath the surface if you just play straight through but many people are saving this particular stuff for a 2nd playthrough, me included.
Edit: Wait, I think I used cat in the rotfiend mine, completely forgot.
going through the rotfiend caves without cat=going through tomb of the giants with out sunlight maggot.
I'd just like someone to tell me why they think the graphics are so amazing. I'm open to suggestion.

?

well I haven't played a tonne of pc games yet, but for one, the light coming through trees, etc. creates the very REAL effect of being blinded by the brighter light and the shadows get pronounced...just like in reality, it is hard to see when you get a contrast between shadows ffrom the buildings in town, and direct sunlight coming down at an angle. They recreated this so well that it feels like you are ReaLLY there. For me it is the realism...it is a fantasy world yes, but it really could exist....this is the cardinal hurdle all fantasy advneture games need to do IMO.......withcher does this better than any game I have played, and the graphics and art detail are a large reason.

Interesting question, I would also like to know if Axii ever fails, because it's been perfect every time I tried it, I thought there would be a risk reward with trying it.

They can all fail. The only consequence is that you lose the outcome of that option and the chance to try again. It is not based on level either. So, if you use it to get more money, fail you won't get more money, and you won't be able to try again, unless you reload.

Axii, Intimidate, and Persuasion all have three levels. I assume probability of success is higher depending on level. But you could theoretically get everything at level 1 if you reload and try again.

MrCow

i tried to install the EE on PC today ... let the damn thing download all day and when i finally install the patch it says that some files are corrupt ...

is there some kind of fix yet or have i gotten my hopes up for EE too soon?

They can all fail. The only consequence is that you lose the outcome of that option and the chance to try again. It is not based on level either. So, if you use it to get more money, fail you won't get more money, and you won't be able to try again, unless you reload.

Axii, Intimidate, and Persuasion all have three levels. I assume probability of success is higher depending on level. But you could theoretically get everything at level 1 if you reload and try again.
Interesting, if there's a sequel they should make those mind tricks harder to achieve.

2AdEPT

I tried axii on the ard guy in act 3 that sells stuff when i wanted him to tell me about the malgot notes. He said I needed to bribe him. I used the axii. failed. exited menu. reenter talk with ard guy. axii. success! Didn't reload.....maybe that's just a one off as I do recall not getting the text to try again without reload in other failures as you suggest.

2AdEPT

i tried to install the EE on PC today ... let the damn thing download all day and when i finally install the patch it says that some files are corrupt ...

is there some kind of fix yet or have i gotten my hopes up for EE too soon?

sorry I don't have the link, but most of us were able to use a short fix to get over this hurdle....basically it involves getting two files off the website (orGOG) and replacing them in your preload package...it works for most. If not you can re-download from GOG using your purchase key. Either way you can be ready to go in a few hours max!

Darklord

Banned
FUCK. I'm still getting corruption issues. Does anyone know the part that has the cutscenes in it? I've downloaded several different ones but still getting the error.

xion4360

losing my patience with deaths here. I dont understand why autosaves arent more frequent. Surely entering a new area or a new quest phase should trigger an autosave but no. Taking you back to just before you died would make this far more entertaining for me. Dying just makes me want to drop my controller and stop playing, and thats not a good thing.

This isn't really related to the Witcher games, but I don't suppose anyone on here would know where someone could get the anything from the Wiedzmin comic series, would they? Been eager to get my hands on at least one of them, but I'm not sure how possible that is for someone in America.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
losing my patience with deaths here. I dont understand why autosaves arent more frequent. Surely entering a new area or a new quest phase should trigger an autosave but no. Taking you back to just before you died would make this far more entertaining for me. Dying just makes me want to drop my controller and stop playing, and thats not a good thing.

how about saving the progress yourself?

i do have a question though.. that medallion i got from the newboy with the mysterious magic, it says -10 armor. does that mean i'm -10 armor whenever i carry it?

I sided with one character in the At The Cross Roads mission and kept a save beforehand. Is it worth it to go back and do the other side? Seems like different mission are there to be had but is it in different environments with diff characters as well?

Lingitiz

I sided with one character in the At The Cross Roads mission and kept a save beforehand. Is it worth it to go back and do the other side? Seems like different mission are there to be had but is it in different environments with diff characters as well?
The entire Act 2 is completely different so yes. You will see some of the same areas but what you are able to do and see is different. I haven't finished my Iorveth playthough yet so I can't say for certain.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I started doing that, but point is I shouldnt have to.

WRPGs have always required a lot of manual saving. I don't know how it's a surprise to anyone, may be only to people who haven't played a lot of games in the genre (and that is a lot of people, so yeah, you might have a point)

Citizen K

Is there anywhere that explains all the temporary status effect icons that can appear at the top of the screen. eg I just got my first circle of power but have no idea what it does.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
So I hope I don't have Witcher gaf chasing me with pitchforks when I say this, but Witcher 2 reminds me a lot of Two Worlds 2. Not in terms of quality, Witcher 2 is much better, but the way the areas are laid out, the combat, the quests, the feel.

I can tell that whoever developed Two Worlds 2 (Deep Silver?) was highly influenced by the first Witcher game.

There is an thematic and artistic style shift from the first game to the second, if the first was influenced by Oblivion or other traditional WRPGs, the second has a really heavy Witcher influence.

The games also have a similar graphic fidelity with the occasional bug

2AdEPT

Is there anywhere that explains all the temporary status effect icons that can appear at the top of the screen. eg I just got my first circle of power but have no idea what it does.

there is an in game menu as well as the hard copy manual for those that bought in store...all the GOG files have the electronic version as well. But in game is the easiest....I believe you can access it form the journal menu. Also exploring the character treewhile meditating will tell you more about your attributes I think.

Grisby

One other question about CH1.

There's a cloaked dude at the bottom of the inn that says he has a trinket of some sort. I keep beating him in Dice Poker but he still won't give me whatever it is he's holding. Anything else I can do?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
One other question about CH1.

There's a cloaked dude at the bottom of the inn that says he has a trinket of some sort. I keep beating him in Dice Poker but he still won't give me whatever it is he's holding. Anything else I can do?
Nothing. The Xbox version has a couple remnants of the PC version that shouldn't be there. That guy actually offered a GOG promo code if you beat him. Another thing that doesn't belong is the tutorial text about arena scores on Xbox being tied to Witcher 2 forum account.

Nothing. The Xbox version has a couple remnants of the PC version that shouldn't be there. That guy actually offered a GOG promo code if you beat him. Another thing that doesn't belong is the tutorial text about arena scores on Xbox being tied to Witcher 2 forum account.

Broken on PC now, too. You had to beat him with two pair to get a discount. Discount expired, now monk just pisses people off by thinking the game is broken.

Cels

Played through the arena today, got the "Win 30 matches in a row" achievement. I kept going, and the arena just loops back to fight #1 for fight #31, kind of lame.

The arena is pretty ridiculous in terms of the amount of enemies once you get up to fight 15 or so. At one point you fight 2 Endrega Queens, 2 Arachas, and a few Endrega minions. That 200% distance roll really came in handy haha.

There are also werewolves, which don't show up in the main game (but there was a werewolf in the original game).

It's a nice little diversion, but it stinks that you can't save between fights.

Wow, you are a champ. Arena isn't my thing, though. Do you have to survive all 30 matches, or just keep going after you lose and not getting points anymore?

Dark mode question- armor worth it? Should I just get the armor in Chapter 2 and then settle for Vran in Chapter 3? Just seems mighty expensive, and I'm not sure how to get all of that gold.

Also, what is the deal with it? The armor is fine, but the swords are cursed and do damage without the armor? Or everything does damage unless it is complete?

Grisby

Ah thanks, I didn't know what was going on.

Cels

Wow, you are a champ. Arena isn't my thing, though. Do you have to survive all 30 matches, or just keep going after you lose and not getting points anymore?

Dunno, I didn't lose, but the text of the achievement says to "survive your 30th fight in the arena" so I assume you can't die at any point.

Doesn't ur health generate a little even in combat?
beginning of chapter 2
during the owl sequence, I kept walking and looking at my health bar wishing it will go up, but it didn't

also another thing that annoys me
Game tells u to prepare urself before a fight like drink potion or oil ur swords.
There r instances in the game where it just throws u to a fight and since u can't drink while fighting ur screwed.
Elven ruin boss battle
Couldn't beat Leto until reloaded an earlier save where u get to drink potions before u any cutscenes

/rant

Naito

Dark mode question- armor worth it? Should I just get the armor in Chapter 2 and then settle for Vran in Chapter 3? Just seems mighty expensive, and I'm not sure how to get all of that gold.

Oathbreaker, dark mode unique armor in Act II, is better than any armor you can get in Act III (except for the Kinslayer, the dark armor of the third chapter, ofc).
I also personally think it's the best looking one - Geralt wears this armor set in the "52 and a half" video.

The armor is fine, but the swords are cursed and do damage without the armor? Or everything does damage unless it is complete?
Only the swords are cursed and do damage if you aren't wearing the complete set.

Cool, thanks. I'll probably just do Hunter armor, then farm for Oathbreaker, and skip the Kinslayer armor. Too expensive.

edit: Wait, can I do Act III swords with Act II armor? Or will I have to stick with regular weapons if I don't buy the set?

Wow that
Dragur
fight was nuts. "ARCHERS!!" That took like 20 minutes of careful tactics, the majority of the fight with a tiny bit of life left, never taking to many strikes up close, my controller was wet with sweat after that one, :lol.

Quick question from a guy who just started playing the 360 version: how much of a difference is there between installing the game (like the devs recommend) and playing it off the disc (like I'm doing right now)?

Cool, thanks. I'll probably just do Hunter armor, then farm for Oathbreaker, and skip the Kinslayer armor. Too expensive.

edit: Wait, can I do Act III swords with Act II armor? Or will I have to stick with regular weapons if I don't buy the set?

You could arm wrestle a lot to get money =D

I don't think you could use the swords without the penalty, but I'd say there are better swords in act 3 anyway. For steel, Caerme is pretty cheaply crafted and is really close, and the Forgotten Vran Sword is just better (I found it in an EE quest area, Iorveth's path). For Silver, there's Addan Deith which you can loot from a chest in a quest related room, or Deithwen which has nice +25% bonuses vs gargoyles and large monsters.

2AdEPT

You could arm wrestle a lot to get money =D

I don't think you could use the swords without the penalty, but I'd say there are better swords in act 3 anyway. For steel, Caerme is pretty cheaply crafted and is really close, and the Forgotten Vran Sword is just better (I found it in an EE quest area, Iorveth's path). For Silver, there's Addan Deith which you can loot from a chest in a quest related room, or Deithwen which has nice +25% bonuses vs gargoyles and large monsters.

geez I.m part way through aact 3 on Dark adn haven't seen the swords you mention. Won a couple goodies off the dwarf (roches path ) in vergen with the dice, but they didn't beat oathbreaker. farming orens is easy in flotsam...I ddin't fight any bigger monsters like kayran and quenn endregas until I got teh blasphemer set. Just don't waste your orens on stuff you don't need, and when building the set, use as many found ingredients as possible....don't try to buy all the ingredients. there are so many quests in flotsam that you can easily get these done and get blasphemer early. Outbreaker took a littel bit more time, but since it can't be beat, why not? I only have 2000 oren right now in act 3 and haven't killed the gargoyles yet etc. Still it seems like it will be tough to get teh 5000 I need for kingslayer....I want at least one kingslayer set for possible migration ot TW3, but may not opt forthat this playthrough. Might skip blasphemer set next playthrough and save up for kingslayer that way.

Good riddance, Vergen, you are a terrible city that I still don't quite understand the layout of despite having done every quest in your city.

Also, I heart Saskia.

Welp. Think I'm not finishing my second play through. Twice has the the steam cloud filled up and stopped saving my games. And now twice it has stopped seeing my saves when the cloud is turned off. Did the same thing I did last time to fix this (turn the cloud back on and tell it to upload my local saves). Got into game and it still wasn't seeing my saves, turned the cloud off and on in game (still, exactly what I did last time) only this time it loaded up old saves from chapter one while I was actually a good ways into chapter two.

I love CDprojekt, but they have seriously fucked up with this steam cloud shit not working right, and I just lost hours of play time because of it. Fuck that...

EDIT: Yep, my only hope was to rollback the files in windows, but my last version is from friday. Go fuck yourselves CDprojekt. I am raging so hard right now. Done.

2AdEPT

Welp. Think I'm not finishing my second play through. Twice has the the steam cloud filled up and stopped saving my games. And now twice it has stopped seeing my saves when the cloud is turned off. Did the same thing I did last time to fix this (turn the cloud back on and tell it to upload my local saves). Got into game and it still wasn't seeing my saves, turned the cloud off and on in game (still, exactly what I did last time) only this time it loaded up old saves from chapter one while I was actually a good ways into chapter two.

I love CDprojekt, but they have seriously fucked up with this steam cloud shit not working right, and I just lost hours of play time because of it. Fuck that...

EDIT: Yep, my only hope was to rollback the files in windows, but my last version is from friday. Go fuck yourselves CDprojekt. I am raging so hard right now. Done.

the only thing that has helped me start over and redo shit in this game is that there was/is always something I find or do different that ends up improving my experience or choice path....hope this helps.

further to the oren savng motif....I am not goign to buy the info boooks on the runes for the gargoyles. I have looked onlne already and will just make do with the info there.....saves quite a bit of orens.

Complistic

grab your gog copy! Same thing happened to me. downloaded it on gog and no problems. It's still shitty I have to do this but o well.

further to the oren savng motif....I am not goign to buy the info boooks on the runes for the gargoyles. I have looked onlne already and will just make do with the info there.....saves quite a bit of orens.

Yeah, I'm skipping books this play through, and I foresee a lot of arm wrestling in my future. Also, you can farm harpies in act 2, and their feathers are expensive. However, you also need like 80 feathers for an awesome sidequest in that chapter.

Top Bottom