• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition |OT| Bow low, you stand before a head crowned.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So you guys having trouble with the Kayran skipped the side quests to make the win button traps and potion?

No new game plus. Max level 35, so you can plan accordingly for each playthrough if you want to powergame.

On the Kayran- win button?
I barely ever use traps, so I'm not sure what you are talking about. I do know the potion, though, just not what traps you are referring. I just used Yrden. Worried about my dark playthrough, cause I fear 1 hit kills will be had by all.

Also, worst quest:
Melitele's Heart, Chapter 1
The wraiths never end. I didn't have the vitality to take many hits, either. And then you don't seem to get any experience for any of them, anyways. Best strategy is probably just to run in circles for 5 minutes. I can't believe I killed like 20 Wraiths for no reason

Kayran is difficult in that it punishes you a ton for messing up. I beat
Letho
with less difficulty than the Kayran my first play through, about the same on my second.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Kayran is difficult in that it punishes you a ton for messing up. I beat
Letho
with less difficulty than the Kayran my first play through, about the same on my second.

This.
Letho
is tough, but a better example of fair tough.
If you stay on your game, attack and defend tactfully, and carefully note he's moves, he is manageable. Tough as nails, but manageable.

The
Kayran
had cheap kills. And that's lame.

This.
Letho
is tough, but a better example of fair tough.
If you stay on your game, attack and defend tactfully, and carefully note he's moves, he is manageable. Tough as nails, but manageable.

The
Kayran
had cheap kills. And that's lame.

Yeah, but either improving skills or poorly managed difficulty curve made Chapter 3
Letho II my bitch. I only fought him to see how it went, because I'm not a shitty person who killed him for no reason.

KorrZ

Kayran is a joke. If you can't beat him, you have no hope for Letho.

Letho was much easier for me, as a first time player on 360.
Yrden makes that fight a joke, roll around while he has Quen up, trap him in Yrden when it goes away, give him 2-3 strong hits, rinse and repeat.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Indeed. First thing i did was mod that crap.
I've actually lost all desire to continue my second playthrough because of it. Was really excited when I finished my final piece, Anathema, and ran out to the Nekker cave to test it out.

"What the fuck is this, why is it all black and foggy?"

Hilarious. I remember that CDPR was inspired by Arkham Asylum a bit, and they essentially took one of Batman's worst visual offenses, Detective Mode, making it even more common and terrible.

I've actually lost all desire to continue my second playthrough because of it. Was really excited when I finished my final piece, Anathema, and ran out to the Nekker cave to test it out.

"What the fuck is this, why is it all black and foggy?"

Hilarious. I remember that CDPR was inspired by Arkham Asylum a bit, and they essentially took one of Batman's worst visual offenses, Detective Mode, making it even more common and terrible.
Except... it's nothing like Detective Mode? It's a visual filter, sure, but that is literally where the comparison begins and ends. The dark filter is meant to be a handicap (not a crutch, like in Batman), and it does it's job quite well in making battles more difficult. The AA inspiration you read about is in the combat, and has nothing to do with visuals (after all, Dark Mode came months after the original release).

The only legitimate complaint I can think up about the Dark effect is what I wrote a few hours ago (I think it's still on this page)... that when combined with rain, it makes for an outrageously dark gameplay experience, up to the point where I felt like I needed to fix my gamma. lol

guys, how many talent points should i end up with after completing the prologue? i only got 5 but i think i should get 6. the first one i put in to vigor somehow didn't disappeared. is this a bug or was it because i was in a different part of the prologue memory?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
No new game plus. Max level 35, so you can plan accordingly for each playthrough if you want to powergame.

On the Kayran- win button?
I barely ever use traps, so I'm not sure what you are talking about. I do know the potion, though, just not what traps you are referring. I just used Yrden. Worried about my dark playthrough, cause I fear 1 hit kills will be had by all.

There are 2 sidequests for the kayran. One to make a potion that makes you immune to it's poison. The other for special traps that insta kill it's tentacles.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Except... it's nothing like Detective Mode? It's a visual filter, sure, but that is literally where the comparison begins and ends. The dark filter is meant to be a handicap (not a crutch, like in Batman), and it does it's job quite well in making battles more difficult. The AA inspiration you read about is in the combat, and has nothing to do with visuals (after all, Dark Mode came months after the original release).

The only legitimate complaint I can think up about the Dark effect is what I wrote a few hours ago (I think it's still on this page)... that when combined with rain, it makes for an outrageously dark gameplay experience, up to the point where I felt like I needed to fix my gamma. lol
I classified Detective Mode as a visual effect comparison, not a gameplay ability. As in: they're both disgusting and painful to look at.

I really like the game; that said it's not so hot looking on the 360. I was expecting crazy visuals similar to what we got with Crysis 2. (Well the frame rate in that game wasn't great but everything else I thought was amazing.)

Am I wrong? Faces of the main characters look pretty good but other than that I'm not real impressed.

RS4-

Hit level 24 in the middle of Act II. When I first got into Vergen, I hated the place since it's a little disorienting finding places and getting lost.

Still hate the walking though.

re: the royal blood quest
Should I kill Stennis? Or just throw him in jail?

Pros/cons of either choice? Iorveth path btw.

ced

Hit level 24 in the middle of Act II. When I first got into Vergen, I hated the place since it's a little disorienting finding places and getting lost.

Everywhere is unnecessarily disorienting thanks to no direction indicator on the mini map and no labels on doors.

can you buy a house or home in this game or some kind of storage? i would like to store my stuff somewhere where i can retrieve later. or do i just have to sell it?

I classified Detective Mode as a visual effect comparison, not a gameplay ability. As in: they're both disgusting and painful to look at.
Hmm, I can't say I really understand the complaint that Detective Mode is "disgusting and painful" when you can press a single button to be rid of it and relieve yourself. But in The Witcher's case, yes you're 'forced' (although in reality you made the choice to pursue it, despite the warnings) to play with the handicap, so I suppose I can understand that complaint a bit more.

Regardless, I assure you that Dark Mode was not inspired by Detective Mode, even on a visual level. As someone else pointed out, the Cat potion is.

ced

There is. You have to select the quest you want to follow in the journal, then an arrow will pop up in the mini map.

I mean a direction like North. There should be a N on the edge of the rotating mini map. I don't mind not having quest direction indicators.

- J - D -

Yeah the mini map needs a compass. I was surprised it didn't have that since practically every rpg of this type or any large scale game would have one.

I really like the game; that said it's not so hot looking on the 360. I was expecting crazy visuals similar to what we got with Crysis 2. (Well the frame rate in that game wasn't great but everything else I thought was amazing.)

Am I wrong? Faces of the main characters look pretty good but other than that I'm not real impressed.

I think it might be the best looking game on 360.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I think CDPR took inspiration on Batman's detective mode in the cat potion effects.
Definitely the better pure analogy, but I had to youtube for it, since luckily I never came across a time where I needed to use the potion in my Roche run.

Dark effect is just a 'ugh, why' thing that I can't find a reasonable excuse for.

Edit: Wait, I think I used cat in the rotfiend mine, completely forgot.

Indeed. Considerably better than Crysis 2 when you factor in how large some/most of the environments are and how much freedom you have.

The forest in Flotsam is one of the most realistic I've come across in a game, that alone is an incredible achievement.

*shrug*

I think it looks fantastic. Certianly better than any other WRPG on either console.

Grisby

Couple questions on ch1 stuff:

1. Can I only craft one trap for the
Kayran? It seems that way as I only had one or two of the ingredients.

2. For the Mystic River quest I need to
open this dudes mail box in town but I don't have a high enough persuasion/axill sign deal so it fails. What am I to do?

Really enjoying the game although some parts seem a bit rough around the edges and the texture pop-in can get a bit annoying. SO glad we got an OST as I love the title music.

*shrug*

I think it looks fantastic. Certianly better than any other WRPG on either console.
Really? Why do you think that? I'm curious and would like to have a better appreciation for it. Now I will agree that the density of the world is a lot higher than other WRPGs with more details, foliage etc.

Couple questions on ch1 stuff:

1. Can I only craft one trap for the
Kayran? It seems that way as I only had one or two of the ingredients.

2. For the Mystic River quest I need to
open this dudes mail box in town but I don't have a high enough persuasion/axill sign deal so it fails. What am I to do?

Really enjoying the game although some parts seem a bit rough around the edges and the texture pop-in can get a bit annoying. SO glad we got an OST as I love the title music.
1. Yes it's a one time deal, use
your magic trap for the others. I left the kayran trap for the last tenticle since that one was giving me the most trouble.

Not sure about #2.

Grisby

1. Yes it's a one time deal, use
your magic trap for the others. I left the kayran trap for the last tenticle since that one was giving me the most trouble.

Not sure about #2.
Thanks, what
magic trap should I use though? I've been a bomb man up until this point.

Grisby

It's one of your magic spells, second one down I believe. Looks like an hour glass turned on its side.
Aaaahh ok. I thought you meant a 'trap' trap. I've just been wasting things with the fire spell left and right. Who knew creatures burned so easy in the Witcher?

Also, I answered my own question about the Mystic River deal. Just had to
use the sign on someone else to level it up enough.

I wish they'd release other Witcher books out here in the states (there are more then two right?). I've read through my two books a third time and want to know what happens with Ciri and crew. I never knew the games apparently took place in tandem with the book's time line though which is pretty neat.

Yes you are wrong. Case closed.

The trap? Its done during a certain quest. Spoilers if you haven't completed "Indecent Proposal"
http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Indecent_Proposal

Basically, you only learn of the trap if you complete that quest before killing the Kayran. Otherwise, you have to beat him with Yrden and Mongoose.

That is it, then. Thanks. Did that quest last. I was wondering who the merchant Roche was talking about was.

Aaaahh ok. I thought you meant a 'trap' trap. I've just been wasting things with the fire spell left theand right. Who knew creatures burned so easy in the Witcher?

I wish they'd release other Witcher books out here in the states (there are more then two right?). I've read through my two books a third time and want to know what happens with Ciri and crew. I never knew the games apparently took place in tandem with the book's time line though which is pretty neat.

Games are five years after the books. See my block of spoiler text above for a summary of the books. Truly only the broad strokes, and it come from the Witcher 1, so spoilers are debatable.

CD Projekt is not shy about changing some details from the book, however.

Obligatory fan translation link

It's not all there since it's just 2 guys doing it in their spare time, but most of it is. The games take place 5 years after the books, but the game sets up similar scenarios.

Assassin's of Kings has a similar scenario in concept to Times of Contempt.
Top levels of government[the sorcerers in the books/kings in the game] get attacked which destabilizes the north leaving an opening for Nilfgaard to advance.

The end of Assassin's of Kings leaves Geralt in a similar situation that he's in for Baptism of Fire.
Loved one is missing in Nilfgaard territory and he'll have to head through a warzone if he wants to find them.

Yes you are wrong. Case closed.
I'd just like someone to tell me why they think the graphics are so amazing. I'm open to suggestion.

Aaaahh ok. I thought you meant a 'trap' trap. I've just been wasting things with the fire spell left and right. Who knew creatures burned so easy in the Witcher?

Only two? That stinks. I read The Last Wish and I'm now reading The Blood of Elves so I guess I'm almost done. =\

Obligatory fan translation link

It's not all there since it's just 2 guys doing it in their spare time, but most of it is. The games take place 5 years after the books, but the game sets up similar scenarios.
How's the quality on those?

2AdEPT

I'm at Chap 3 and just realized what you use mutagens for, and I've sold all mine, fuck.

you can farm them by killing the nekkers inthe cave/endregas etc.

edit oops I see you are on chappter 3 I just started there and wouldn't know if the gargoyles drop them...there were some harpies but again not sure they drop....mutagens were underwhelming for me though....noy really necessary.

Only two? That stinks. I read The Last Wish and I'm now reading The Blood of Elves so I guess I'm almost done. =\

How's the quality on those?
Sword of Destiny, which is the short stories between Last Wish and Blood of elves is good, but occasionally a bit rough because I guess some of the story titles themselves were hard to translate into English. The books after Blood of Elves are very well done.

This game really reminds me of Dark Souls (beside the many deaths). You can't go bum rush an enemy especially bosses and survive

Kayran:
I died so many times and told myself there's gotta be an opening to this boss. This is impossible (raging at this point). I need a bow or something to kill this.
then I opened by magic wheel and went with my magic trap. Boom. Tentacles got stunned. Slashed on those tentacles like no tomorrow
. Once I figured it out, it was a satisfying fight

This game really reminds me of Dark Souls (beside the many deaths). You can't go bum rush an enemy especially bosses and survive

Kayran:
I died so many times and told myself there's gotta be an opening to this boss. This is impossible (raging at this point). I need a bow or something to kill this.
then I opened by magic wheel and went with my magic trap. Boom. Tentacles get stunned. Slash on those tentacles like no tomorrow
. Once I figure it out, it was a satisfying fight

The sorceress Sile also yells during battle to
trap it with Yrden.

Are there any negative consequences to using intimidate/Axii/convince in conversations? Is intimidate somehow worse than Axii/convince?
Interesting question, I would also like to know if Axii ever fails, because it's been perfect every time I tried it, I thought there would be a risk reward with trying it.

Top Bottom