• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition |OT| Bow low, you stand before a head crowned.

Flotsam...
I accidently said no to Gaspar's request for my participation in his little experiment... oops. Am I missing much? Think I made the wrong decision for letting the alchemist have the incense formula too, lol
You're missing out on an interesting sidequest. If you want, you might just reload the save before your last and say yes. I'm glad I did it, at least.

I finished
Act II
last night. The whole ending there and the boss/enemies was just phenomenal. My FPS took a huge dive when I was
defending the walls of Vergen.

Complistic

You're missing out on an interesting sidequest. If you want, you might just reload the save before your last and say yes. I'm glad I did it, at least.

This is true. But if you're looking at it from a role playing perspective, is geralt really to let two complete strangers inject him with something. They won't even tell him what it does lol.

Spookie

Fuck a duck I forgot how hard boss fights can be. Especially at the end of Act I. I just wish it gave you more of a warning so I could potion up before hand.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
This is true. But if you're looking at it from a role playing perspective, is geralt really to let two complete strangers inject him with something. They won't even tell him what it does lol.

I think witchers are pretty fatalistic.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I'm pretty sure geralt, at least canonically doesn't believe in fate. Though the lady of the lake quest in tw1 lets you decide for your own geralt.

I think the word isn't quite right. I meant he is not afraid to die because he learnt not to give a fuck.

Grisby

The exact location is west of the Inn. A building that you can only get in on the second floor with a staircase on the right side of the building.

Edit: Beaten.
Take the stairway immediately to the left of the inn when facing the main entrance. The doorway at the top of the stairs is the Blue Stripes HQ.

edit: Post below says west of the inn. That sounds right, although I can't remember the exact orientation of the map.
Thanks guys, I'll check it out. I swear I was in there before.

Arjen

Started this yesterday, and i'm absolutly loving it. Combat was a bit difficult at first, but i'm starting to get the hang of it.
Opening cinematic was one of the most awesome things i've seen in a long while.

eshwaaz

I'm still only in Chapter 1, but I am absolutely in love with this game. I'm savoring every moment, trying to find every sidequest and just soak in the world. A strong, believable sense of place is hugely important to me, and Witcher 2 excels here. I'm impressed every time I start up the game.

A few months ago I'd tried to play Witcher 1 for the first time - I didn't have a capable PC until then. I got a good ways into Chapter 3, and just couldn't keep going. There were aspects I really liked, but I found so many aspects to be unrefined and unintuitive that playing became a chore for me. Still, it was totally worth playing as much as I did, if only to provide me with enough knowledge about the story and characters to make 2 more accessible and meaningful.

Back to playing. If Witcher 2 keeps up at this level of quality, it will easily be among my favorite RPGs of all time.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I keep getting a feeling I'm doing something wrong. I seriously can't finish a battle if I'm on Normal since I keep dying. Is it my sword? I try using signs, dodging, blocking and I suck.

I'm currently doing the "In the Claws of Madness" side quest and the wraiths are kicking my ass.

I keep getting a feeling I'm doing something wrong. I seriously can't finish a battle if I'm on Normal since I keep dying. Is it my sword? I try using signs, dodging, blocking and I suck.

I'm currently doing the "In the Claws of Madness" side quest and the wraiths are kicking my ass.

Are you using the silver sword? I imagine you are... Trying using specter oil, it can be applied during combat. Cast quen before fight if you haven't. Otherwise just patience, parry/riposte and aard or igni. Wraiths are definitely a pain. Also before the first fight meditate and drink a potion or two.

Gattsu25

Banned

Silver sword and dodge. Those bastards hit like trucks.

Keep at it and you'll start to see the patterns in the AI fighting styles. Drink potions, use oils, bombs and try to get the best gear in the act as soon as possible. 2 points in increased dodge speed, wait for them to attack, roll behind them and strong attack or two then roll away. 2 points into improved Aard. Don't needlessly use signs. Your damage output is based on your vigor. One point into counter-attack is great if the enemy is fast or has a lot of armour and blocking skill.

If that doesn't help, just keep Aarding them and evading until they get stunned then 1 shot them.

You can always practice in the arena too.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the tips guys. Should I be using the silver sword for now? My alternative is a "Robust Long Sword."

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Thanks for the tips guys. Should I be using the silver sword for now? My alternative is a "Robust Long Sword."

Silver does extra damage to monsters/undead/weird shit, steel does extra damage to humans. You should switch between the two depending on your opponent. Check the stats, and go with whatever does the most damage and better special attributes

Desaan

You should try the wraiths on dark mode, one shotted. If you don't get one shotted you bleed to death unless you have the vigor to get quen up. The trick with the wraiths is either you Axii one and gank the other or you spam Aard and hope for a stun finisher.

I know someone else mentioned this before, but is any one else getting extremely long loading times on the PC EE version? Skipping the opening cinematic, it takes several minutes for the title screen to come up for me, as well when loading extra content like flashbacks and such.

Any fixes for this?

Piecake

Was not really a fan of the combat in the Witcher 2 when I first played it, but I have a feeling that the reason why was i was playing with KBM, not a controller. It just felt so unintuitive playing an action rpg without a controlloer

Going to give it another shot now that the enhanced edition is out with a controller this time (still PC version)

I know someone else mentioned this before, but is any one else getting extremely long loading times on the PC EE version? Skipping the opening cinematic, it takes several minutes for the title screen to come up for me, as well when loading extra content like flashbacks and such.

Any fixes for this?

Clean out your saves folder. Backup the ones you want to keep somewhere else and delete the ones you'll never use. Maintaining the saves folder is important because the game creates an endless stream of autosaves as you play.

squidyj

Yrden is your friend

this. Wraiths are tough in act 1 because they hit hard and you can't knock them back on their heels, you keep going at them with fast attacks and they still manage to stab you good. Locking them up in traps and hitting them with aard is the best way to keep them from mangling you.

I beat this last night on 360. It was my second time as I played through it on my laptop last year when it first came off.

First off, the 360 port is great. It was much more enjoyable than playing at 20 fps at low settings on PC. It looks and runs quite well.

Secondly, I knew about how chapter 2 worked. But I was blown away as to how different my two experiences were. Definitly give this one at least two play-throughs guys.

The new EE stuff was great too. The new mainquest in Act 3 felt like it always belonged there, not out of place at all and the Dandelion recaps were nice too.

Also, I can't wait for Witcher 3 after seeing some of the new stuff at the very end. ;)

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I can't believe how stupid I am; I didn't notice how steel/silver can affect your enemies. Seriously, the difficulty of this game is significantly reduced now that I know about it.

Thanks EatChildren.

I can't believe how stupid I am; I didn't notice how steel/silver can affect your enemies. Seriously, the difficulty of this game is significantly reduced now that I know about it.

Thanks EatChildren.
I still mess it up sometimes because I'll just cast a sign, causing Geralt to pull out my last sword, and I end up wondering why I'm not doing any damage to enemies. I'll finally figure out it's because I'm using the wrong sword type, hahahaha.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm focusing on the swordsman path this time, and whirl is an awesome ability. It makes a huge difference with crowds of enemies, especially once you've unlocked the second level that allows you to slice and dice multiple enemies with no damage reduction. The rotfiends, nekkers and harpies in ch. 2 are a joke now.

Anyways, it's really neat to experience the other side of the story, but I have to say that chapter 2 is much better in the Iorveth path. The camp isn't nearly as cool as Vergen, and I miss
Saskia :(
. I miss all the badass dwarves, too. But I still have a ways to go so maybe it gets better.

People. There's a poll on Facebook on Roche vs. Iorweth, you know what to do.

http://www.facebook.com/thewitcher

The people have spoken. Suck it, Roach apologists.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
What the hell is going on with the saving system on PC with this game?
Before, whenever I pressed F5 or "save" from the menù, it saved on a new slot, now it just not work, if I use any manual save I have to restart to me the save work... I tried to disable the Steam Cloud but it's so messed up... What the hell is going on? How can I fix this?

epmode

Once you enable cloud saves in the Steam version, it's only a matter of time before your game stops saving properly. I used these threads to disable cloud saves:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2470784
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2655006&page=3

Before starting any of this, make sure that you have cloud saves enabled in the Witcher 2 in-game menu.

Disabling the cloud is annoying as hell. And it might just be easier to use the GOG version instead.

Fuck a duck I forgot how hard boss fights can be. Especially at the end of Act I. I just wish it gave you more of a warning so I could potion up before hand.

Yeah, I wish you could potion up anytime, kinda silly that you could only drink when you are meditating.

Game is hard but fun, I restart several times last night but never feel it was cheating me. Feel kinda like Dark Soul but better.

So how do I trigger the finishing move combat? Is it when I properly block and counter? I guess I should read the manual, haven't done that in so long.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Once you enable cloud saves in the Steam version, it's only a matter of time before your game stops saving properly. I used these threads to disable cloud saves:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2470784
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2655006&page=3

Before starting any of this, make sure that you have cloud saves enabled in the Witcher 2 in-game menu.

Disabling the cloud is annoying as hell. And it might just be easier to use the GOG version instead.

Thanks you so much.
There is something terribly wrong with the saving system in this series from the first. lol

Tell me just one thing, the quick save on F5 always overwrite the previous one? I mean, even before the patch? Because I notice this just now.

Top Bottom