• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition |OT| Bow low, you stand before a head crowned.

Derrick01

Banned
This is a joke I hope.

Nope. I did Roche's path twice and with this run through I'm on Iorveth's for a 2nd time and it's just so much better to play through. He doesn't have those couple badass moments but I'll take a much better 10 hour Act than Roche's ~10 seconds of cool factor.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Nope. I did Roche's path twice and with this run through I'm on Iorveth's for a 2nd time and it's just so much better to play through. He doesn't have those couple badass moments but I'll take a much better 10 hour Act than Roche's ~10 seconds of cool factor.

it may differ from person to person but I liked the story in Roche's act much better. It felt darker and cathartic (with all decisions I made) and characters were more interesting for me. Iorveth's path is fine but it feels much more serene.

zkylon

zkylewd
I only played the game once and I picked Iorveth. Roche's much more intense but I can't help but always side with the rebels in every game, specially if they're alien or non-humans. I also really liked the whole Saskia story, meeting all the dwarves in Vergen, etc., and running into Roche again later in the game was a pretty awesome moment.

So I voted for Roche, even if I don't have any regrets over picking Iorveth in the game. Iorveth's cool, but Roche's badass, there's no two ways to that.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
This game is getting amazing now that I stopped sucking.

I was going to boot up from my late chapter 1 save to do the other path, but I decided to restart on the prologue instead with Dark Mode. I'm not sure if I can do it, as I usually don't like hard games that much. I wrote them off after making myself crazy doing the hard modes on a couple of games. I took the fight against Aryan and his squad as a good sign that I could manage the game long term, but I guess we will see.

Holy shit, but parrying/blocking is useless, at least on this character level. You take a huge chunk of damage regardless.

Is swordsmanship focus viable for dark mode? On normal I did 60/40 signs swords, so I was interested in something different, sword focus with only a few points in signs.

Kaldea

I prefer Iorveth out of the two. I'm not a true bro kind of woman. :p Roche is pretty awesome though and I can easily see why people would prefer him.

I like Roche more as a character but probably Iorveth's path story wise. Saskia and all that. Really though, you miss out either way if you're only playing through once. Roche's path is great for getting to know more about Henselt and Dethmold and the Blue Stripes while Iorveth's path is great with Phillipa and Saskia and the dwarves.

It really is pretty much mandatory to play the game twice to get the full picture of the story, which is pretty cool. I did Roche's path when the game first came out and only recently did Iorveth's side of things. And holy shit, it definitely puts a new spin on things with a certain character revelation.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Everyone should do both paths. I think the hardest decision we will face is which save to pick to start a new game in The Witcher 3.
I've just finished Roche for the first time, and am about to start Iorveth (Dark Mode). Afterwards, I'm going to do a final, perfected, checklist Dark Mode Roche run.

Solo

Everyone should do both paths. I think the hardest decision we will face is which save to pick to start a new game in The Witcher 3.

That's assuming that saves will carry over. They could potentially not do that and just force a canon
(Roche, obviously)
ending on the player and have the next game start with that as the basis.

squidyj

I like Roche more as a character but probably Iorveth's path story wise. Saskia and all that. Really though, you miss out either way if you're only playing through once. Roche's path is great for getting to know more about Henselt and Dethmold and the Blue Stripes while Iorveth's path is great with Phillipa and Saskia and the dwarves.

It really is pretty much mandatory to play the game twice to get the full picture of the story, which is pretty cool. I did Roche's path when the game first came out and only recently did Iorveth's side of things. And holy shit, it definitely puts a new spin on things with a certain character revelation.

Endgame spoiler
The problem is
Henselt doesn't matter, dethmold doesn't even really matter, and you don't learn or understand anything about the plot of the game from Roche's side. At least you learn about Saskia on Iorveth's path and of course by the end of both you realize that the Nilfgardian guy is up to something. If Roche's path gave more information about the plot of the sorceresses then it might be worthwhile, but it doesn't

That's assuming that saves will carry over. They could potentially not do that and just force a canon
(Roche, obviously)
If anything, Iorveth should be canon, it puts Geralt in a better place storywise.
Especially if you manage to save Saskia

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
(Roche, obviously)

Given how the paths play out, I can't see how the Iorveth side wouldn't be the canon ending.

Solo

The Roche part was a joke. My point simply was that I won't be surprised if CDPR locks down one of the endings as canon instead of trying to do the Bioware style of choice carry-overs.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The Roche part was a joke. My point simply was that I won't be surprised if CDPR locks down one of the endings as canon instead of trying to do the Bioware style of choice carry-overs.

They should. Carrying on with the pretense that our choices matter only gets people in trouble down the road!

Varna

Snares are a godsend in Dark mode. Is the dark mode armor worth getting? Seems pretty pricy to get the Flotsam set.

The implications of the first game weren't that huge, but they did kind of write them over.

Shani gone regardless.
Adda Radovid uniting the kingdoms written out.
Maybe some other stuff, but I don't really remember it that well. I don't think your choice about the Wild Hunt makes any difference.

Easier to do because the political fallout only affected one kingdom, and there were fewer permutations.

If they do try to make a canon ending, I would guess:

Temeria falls, at least mostly, as it is the front of the war. Therefore the different scenarios don't really matter. Anais in hiding with Roche- retreate to Redania (or start there, with Radovid ending). Henselt and the Pontar Valley probably won't be that essential, so you can kind of ignore them in game, or do a Bioware and have a few different dialogue lines. I assume Geralt is going to Nilfgaard at some point. Only not sure about the Mages/Sorceress thing. The Dandelion voice over makes me think that even if they slaughtered the mages early on, they kind of made peace and just started killing sorcereress instead, so no real problem there.

Haven't done Iorveth yet, so I don't really know what the implications of that ending are yet. Accidentally spoiled a plot point regarding Saskia with the game guide, but I still don't know how we get there.

I was going to wait for another fix patch because of the issues some people have been running into but I can't resist any more. All this Witcher 2 talk on gaf is too much to ignore.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, just found it. Fuck, shit's expensive.

I have one more question: I finished the "In the claws of madness" quest but didn't get all the files for the Librarian achievement. Is it possible to enter the burned down hospital to obtain them or should I just do it in my next playthrough?

- J - D -

I love that npcs run for shelter when it's raining out (and I don't just mean disappear off the streets). I can't think of any other game that does this. Pretty cool.

maomaoIYP

I'm not feeling the combat in this game. Hate the tracking spinning jump in moves, looks silly and is rarely useful. Also since there's no control on which attack animation comes out (like Dark Souls, for example) there is a bare minimum amount of tactics that can be used when fighting mobs.

Gattsu25

Banned
imtS19nf1iJCO.png

i9RAp7uNiQTTP.png

Yeah, I'm really liking the look of this game.

It's an amazing combat system and I no longer feel guilty for holding off on completing it until the EE came out.

Truth be told, I'm really enjoying how fucking grimy this game can be, at time.

[Ch 1 spoilers] The end of
Chapter I
was a downer in a way that no other game in recent memory has been.

The game manages to touch on some really dark material and handle it with a level of class that is unusual in games, while at the same time being completely immature in other aspects.

Case in point: Roche

I fucking love Roche, though. He's the hero of the entire damned universe.

Yeah, just found it. Fuck, shit's expensive.

I have one more question: I finished the "In the claws of madness" quest but didn't get all the files for the Librarian achievement. Is it possible to enter the burned down hospital to obtain them or should I just do it in my next playthrough?

You can go back in.

Digoman

They should. Carrying on with the pretense that our choices matter only gets people in trouble down the road!

I actually hope they do choose a canon exactly because of that. Witcher 2 was a much better game for assuming you are with Triss one way or the other, because it locked down a path for the story to follow. I simply don't want CDPR wasting resources and money to produce content that may or may not be accessible... it get's expensive, and even Bioware with way bigger budgets couldn't do it very well.

The alternative is of course make the game in a completely different scenario and deal with the choices in throwaway references...but that means never seeing some of the characters again, and even then, they still have to deal with
your relationship with Triss and Yennefer, if she is in the next game.

So I'm completely fine with them choosing a canon ending and letting me explore the story in the next game from different angles again.

No wonder load times are horrible for me. My save file folder has 1,800 plus items. 0_0 Half are the pictures, so that leaves 900 saves from two prior play throughs? Looks like I'm going to spend a few hours deleting about 90 percent of my past saves. I wish they could patch in an overwrite last save option. I've made over 1,000 saves in Skyrim but only have about four actual save files.

Oh well, I'm still an idiot for not doing this sooner and properly managing my save folder.

No wonder load times are horrible for me. My save file folder has 1,800 plus items. 0_0 Half are the pictures, so that leaves 900 saves from two prior play throughs? Looks like I'm going to spend a few hours deleting about 90 percent of my past saves. I wish they could patch in an overwrite last save option. I've made over 1,000 saves in Skyrim but only have about four actual save files.

Oh well, I'm still an idiot for not doing this sooner and properly managing my save folder.

Witcher 2 Save Manager, you'll love it

Gotta keep up with that stuff. I would always backup/delete saves after every playthrough, since I tended to average around 40 new saves each time.

They really just need to have a max of 5 autosaves and then overwrite them. It is nice to have a few in case you mess up and don't have a manual save, but it is excessive. I prune every few hours and delete 90% of my saves.

Teknoman

Gotta keep up with that stuff. I would always backup/delete saves after every playthrough, since I tended to average around 40 new saves each time.

I was just about to ask how in the world can we just overwrite a save. Really surprised the PC version doesnt have that option.

I see what people were complaining about with button responsiveness in the menu using the 360 pad as well. Sometimes it seems like it takes awhile for the game to recognize that i'm using the menu, or I have to press a button twice (or at least it gives that impression). Also whats with the game resetting my armor/weapon settings in the prologue after every flashback scene? Used my Witcher 1 save so i'm guessing I was granted alot of stuff (Arondight, Raven Armor, some rune sword, that curved devil blade, etc.), but it keeps switching me back to the hooded armor that represents Foltest.

Top Bottom